Police chief says turning his son in was difficult

There are 87 comments on the The Elizabethton Star story from Apr 14, 2011, titled Police chief says turning his son in was difficult. In it, The Elizabethton Star reports that:

Chief Matt Bailey of the Elizabethton Police Department says the arrest of his son last month was the most difficult challenge he has ever faced.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Elizabethton Star.

Gazette

United States

#45 Apr 15, 2011
This is the by one of the most flaming topics and has sparked the intrest of many folks across the area. To have a Police Chief to outright lie is no surprise, although when doing so in the manner he has is grounds for an investigation. Many questions are being left unanswered, such as many others have asked,why was the son of the Police Chief allowed to leave the scene of his traffic stop with drugs? If you want to make a statement Mr.Bailey explain why that happened, explain why the delay in the arrest,explain why you told different stories? If the City Council does not dismiss the Police Chief from his duties they are as guilty as he and his department. We should for once be shown that this type of illegal practice will not be upheld in our great city.
pinky

Carrollton, KY

#46 Apr 15, 2011
I think Bailey is trying to make himself look good at his son's expense. He's said to be, I don't know this for a fact, a big party boy just like Mathes. They're all crooked, maybe a few are ok, but majority are crooked
happy teeth

Maryville, TN

#47 Apr 16, 2011
I know kids make mistakes I have and so have my children. However they were not given 3 weeks to think about it. I did not go on tv and in the paper and tell what really happened, as it was just gossiped about town with rumore and we all know how that goes. The Chief's son made a mistake and it will probably change him and I hope that it does. However he was NOT treated like everybody else and we know that, But like the person said before this is Eliz. and Carter County and nothing is ever done the right way across the board. It just depends on who you are. I am sure that the cops who saw this go down were afraid for their jobs if they treated him like others. We all know how that works in E Town. The Chief's son was not and never will be treated the same so he can tell as many stories as he wants but noone will ever believe them. I am sure he was hurt ansd embarrasswd by this as would most people but it happens to the best of us and we all have to deal with it. His son should be treated no different. That wasn't the case and it never will be!!!
Some knowledge

Johnson City, TN

#49 Apr 16, 2011
Under section 39-17-418 of the Tennessee annotated code Bailey should have been received a much stiffer sentence even with a first offense, Basically this went from a felony charge to a misdemeanor and by law for it to be simple possession it must be LESS than a half ounce so do the math is takes 28.35g = 1oz so that means that 14.175 grams=½ oz. Bailey had more then Double the ½ oz limit with the reported 38.3 grams and the charge should not have been reduced and penalty should have been a Felony with that he should have received up to 6 years in prison and a $5,000 plus fine instead received a lenient sentence and the drug paraphernalia charge dismissed.That would be like being stopped with a half can of beer in your car and being intoxicated and the charge being dropped to open container how many times does that happen in Carter County court system?

If you ask me the integrity of the DA office and the Chief are both to be questioned. How does one receive a Simple possession charge, which is the lowest drug offense in Tennessee after he had much more then the simple possession amount as stated in TN code? Mark Hill stated he stepped down from this case because he worked close to the Chief that is laughable because the Assistant that handled the case takes orders from Hill. Why is it if a Police Officer or a deputy are involved in a traffic accident that a State Trooper has to investigate the accident? But the Chief of Police has son is charged with a serious offense and the employees of the man investigate the case? Once again they take orders from the top.

Who really knows for sure how much Bailey really had in his possession? We know what Daddy's EMPLOYEES said he had. We know what Daddy took him to the Police Station with, but who really knows? At the time of the traffic stop when Bailey admitted to having drugs immediately they should have called for at least a Carter County Sheriff deputy and supervisor and let them continue the traffic stop and make the arrest not send him on his way and let Daddy handle it. We as citizens do deserve answers. Many times sheriff deputies have been observed on calls in the city and in this instance that should have been another one of those times. Nope, they let him go on his merry way to go have his as daddy said, "Unpleasant lunch” after which Bailey said, They then drove down to the Criminal Investigation Division of the police department, where they confronted some very uncomfortable investigators. Why would they be uncomfortable? They are sworn to uphold the law.

Then Bailey states “I told them,‘guys listen, do what you would do in any other case. I am backed out of the case.’” Bailey claims the investigators did exactly that, charging Justin with serious charge of possession for resale because he had 38.3 grams in his possession as well as some scales.

So why was he not arrested on March 4th, if he was charged on March 4th? Why is it being reported that March 30 is when charges were placed and when the arrest was made?

People start out at different places in this world, not by their own design but by accident of birth. Many of us wish we were born to Donald Trump. Most of us are born to the Donald Smiths of this world, and if we’re lucky they treat us well and give us enough of what we need to make it through the world in pretty good shape. We know this in our bones. That’s why we lose sleep at night worrying about how to put our own children in the best environments we possibly can. We know that childhood matters, it really does.

People who do the most crimes don’t fall out of the blue. For the most part, their accident of birth put them in environments you wouldn’t wish upon your dog. Some people from these environments are gifted with the inner strength or good luck to make it through and become successful members of society. But with Bailey and who his dad is does that mean we should excuse their conduct?
Curious

Jonesborough, TN

#50 Apr 16, 2011
Barney wrote:
I have read the article on Tri Cities.com , Elizabethton Star and Johnson City Press and not one is the same as the other. Below I have listed all the links read for yourself.
http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/apr/11/el...
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article....
I agree why the time span from March 4th until March 30 when he turned himself in if you took him to the Police Department straight away? I agree with Undercover "crooked little town"
The video has no sound...hmm, how convenient. Yet both news articles have comments praising the chief. Ahem....
The whole thing makes us wonder...just a little bit, ya know?
cartercounty

Franklin, TN

#51 Apr 16, 2011
Some knowledge wrote:
Under section 39-17-418 of the Tennessee annotated code Bailey should have been received a much stiffer sentence even with a first offense, Basically this went from a felony charge to a misdemeanor and by law for it to be simple possession it must be LESS than a half ounce so do the math is takes 28.35g = 1oz so that means that 14.175 grams=½ oz. Bailey had more then Double the ½ oz limit with the reported 38.3 grams and the charge should not have been reduced and penalty should have been a Felony with that he should have received up to 6 years in prison and a $5,000 plus fine instead received a lenient sentence and the drug paraphernalia charge dismissed.That would be like being stopped with a half can of beer in your car and being intoxicated and the charge being dropped to open container how many times does that happen in Carter County court system?
Not defending anyone as I dont know any of these people but when I read that statute I understood it to say its a misdemeanor UNLESS subsections d or e apply which they apparently didnt.
spiderman

United States

#53 Apr 16, 2011
Yes it was in the Star on April 1st showing he was arrested on Wednesday the 30th. That is a answer I myself would like to know why several weeks if he was charged on March 4th as was reported?
cartercounty

Franklin, TN

#54 Apr 17, 2011
Wonder what would happen if someone submitted a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request to obtain the report which should have full details of what happened. The report would be redacted of course (names, privacy act information removed). News agencies typically do this but private individuals can as well.
roy

Elizabethton, TN

#55 Apr 17, 2011
better yet why not get the 911 tape of the radio transmissions the day in question. Now for sure cell phones were used once they knew who they were dealing with but the inital transmissions which Matt says are what he heard should be telling
cartercounty

Franklin, TN

#56 Apr 17, 2011
I doubt they record the day-to-day radio traffic around here. 911 calls, sure, but doubt its anything more than that.
Interesting

Maryville, TN

#57 Apr 17, 2011
cartercounty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not defending anyone as I dont know any of these people but when I read that statute I understood it to say its a misdemeanor UNLESS subsections d or e apply which they apparently didnt.
It also states:'"(b) It is an offense for a person to distribute a small amount of marijuana not in excess of one-half (½) ounce (14.175 grams)."' Should a different TCA been used with a higher amount of marijuana? Does it exist?
town drama

Lawrenceburg, TN

#58 Apr 17, 2011
It's according to who you are in this town and who you know. Some get harrased to death whether they do anything or not while others get away with murder if there family is in law enforcement. This town is so unfair. I agree why did it take so long for the arrest?
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

#59 Apr 17, 2011
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
It also states:'"(b) It is an offense for a person to distribute a small amount of marijuana not in excess of one-half (½) ounce (14.175 grams)."' Should a different TCA been used with a higher amount of marijuana? Does it exist?
TCA aside the point is Bailey is a liar. If he claims he turned his son in on March 4th why was it not in the paper until April 1,2011 showing that the boy was arrested on March 30,2011? I would be sure that anyone else if you were observed coming out of a drug house would be go to jail.Directly to jail. Imagine if you were stopped for running two stops signs like it was reported on WJHL that Justin did and then said, "hi officer I have drugs,I just bought drugs up the street and I have some scales also." I bet to jail you would go.They would probably inflict bodily injury to you dragging you from your automobile to make that arrest. I would even feel safe to say if it were the son of the County Sheriff stopped in the city it still would have been a go to jail situation. It would not have mattered if the drug dealer said he was on his way to church service with his Dad. JAIL HE WOULD GO! This situation probably played out like this Officer X or considering this is Elizabethton we will say OFFICERS XXX stopped the car realized it was Daddy's boy and grabbed the cell phone and said, "Chief I have your son over here on x street and he has drugs on him,what do you want me to do." Chief probably responded by saying," KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND TELL HIM GET HIS ASS TO THE RESTAURANT HE IS LATE FOR LUNCH"

Since: Mar 11

Steamboat Springs, CO

#60 Apr 17, 2011
Hey Chief, your not a father, your just another Scumsucking pig.
Incensed

Jonesborough, TN

#61 Apr 17, 2011
town drama wrote:
It's according to who you are in this town and who you know. Some get harrased to death whether they do anything or not while others get away with murder if there family is in law enforcement. This town is so unfair. I agree why did it take so long for the arrest?
Truth be told, I believe this is the situation in every town. This goes on not only in law enforcement but other scenarios...the "good old boy" club I think it is referred as.

I definitely know of 2 past sheriffs whose son/s were into the drug scenes and at least one of the sheriff's himself.

Ha, ain't no way to avoid it. There are the good, the bad and the ugly. Best bet to stay uninvolved with riffraff is to 'keep your nose clean' and keep a low profile and be sure to always respond to one with 'Yazza,yazza", and a pleasant smile. I've had my share of encounters over the last 70 years, learning the hard way: don't mess with or cross the "establishment".

Yet I can grin with delight when one of them is brought down. I love it. The ship goes on from the lowest position to the highest of the land and even unto the world.

Frankly, I don't trust any cop. Nada! If they aren't crooked when they go in, they will become so in time. Same situation with all politicians. Crooks!

It would surprise me to death IF we ever know the real truth. "his most difficult challenge" tells us more than we realize IF we just think about it.
nosy

Elizabethton, TN

#62 Apr 18, 2011
LOOK IN the Busted
bored

Elizabethton, TN

#63 Apr 18, 2011
For Kids makes mistakes; you are so boring sp go can some peaches or whatever and stay off Topix
Puzzled

Jonesborough, TN

#64 Apr 18, 2011
nosy wrote:
LOOK IN the Busted
What does this statement mean?
Beer for my horses

Johnson City, TN

#65 Apr 18, 2011
Puzzled wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this statement mean?
It is a newspaper that features the mug shots of folks arrested. You can by a most convenience stores. It is called, " Busted"
Kids make mistakes

Johnson City, TN

#66 Apr 18, 2011
bored wrote:
For Kids makes mistakes; you are so boring sp go can some peaches or whatever and stay off Topix
Bored why don't you get a job then you would not be bored. As for canning peaches I don't have time I work. Topix's is open to any one that wants to post or ask a question. But you are right I do not need to be on topix I don't think that everyone in the world is bad or that I know everything. I don't make judgements on poeple I don't wish I was driving someone else's car or living someone else's life. This site is to negative and you are a negative person. I don't know all the facts of this case I was not in court or there when the cheif son was charged I don't believe everything I read in the paper or see on TV. I had hope some people on this site would have good information and some of them did . You are not one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atlantic Beach man who twice drove high on hero... 2 hr KerriH 1
News Heroin catches on in suburbia | The Columbus Di... (Jan '10) 2 hr not a dhimmi 25
News Probe of Pittsfield-area drug distribution nets... 3 hr cops are psychopaths 5
News Father and son arrested in Copiague drug bust (Mar '09) 5 hr Somebody who real... 18
News City mother admits to carrying marijuana in bab... 13 hr fun2stealfrumusagov 1
News Busted: Drug dealer arrested after texting officer 15 hr DILF 1
News Ten charged in Lowell gang raids; weapons, drug... (Jul '08) 22 hr former gang member 666
More from around the web