Police chief says turning his son in was difficult

Apr 14, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Elizabethton Star

Chief Matt Bailey of the Elizabethton Police Department says the arrest of his son last month was the most difficult challenge he has ever faced.

Comments
21 - 40 of 87 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2013
Tex Homer

Johnson City, TN

#22 Apr 14, 2011
Posters one question ! would you turn your own son in ?? If you love your son like I love mine it would be a very hard job to do.
Kids make mistakes

Johnson City, TN

#25 Apr 14, 2011
priorcop wrote:
<quoted text>
Having retired from a lengthy career (20 yrs) in law enforcement, I agree with Stan. Something is not right in this jurisdiction when someone with drugs can be stopped and then allowed to go about their way with no adverse actions simply because who his father is. I'm not saying it doesn't happen every day because I'm sure it does...that doesn't make it right. They should ensure TBI investigates and not their own IA.
I have a question for you. Could it be that they were watching the little fish to get the big fish. If they issued warrents for the little fish it would be out before they could try and get the big fish. If the warrent was issued to quick could it not mess the whole sting up. Just asking.
Luckyone

Mountain City, TN

#26 Apr 14, 2011
Maybe the big fish is too BIG to hook ?
Stan

Three Rivers, MI

#27 Apr 14, 2011
Warrents would not be necessary if he was turning himself in. Stop making excuses for the man. He and officers from his department did wrong. Period.
Lets Eat

Johnson City, TN

#28 Apr 14, 2011
Hey here are my questions.
If there were officers doing surveillance then they should have known who his son was and not talked to him before all this went down too.
If Chief was "listening" on the radio that day and knew it was his son then why in the hell did he not leave and go there?? Is food more important than blood?? No damn excuse for that answer right there!
Why did the officers who supposedly stop his son not take the dope then? Then they let him go on with his daddy date and let his dad search him?? Those officers aint worth a damn either if you ask me. Great Police Work. That means if I get stopped with an opened container of alcohol I can keep it and come home put it in the fridge and 3 weeks later be charged for open container?
Luckyone

Mountain City, TN

#29 Apr 14, 2011
Well one thing is for sure they had over 3 weeks to cover their azz's duh.
Kids make mistakes

Johnson City, TN

#30 Apr 14, 2011
Stan wrote:
Warrents would not be necessary if he was turning himself in. Stop making excuses for the man. He and officers from his department did wrong. Period.
Wow Stan are you a cop? I was asking the cop with 20 years on the force. I am not making excuses for anyone I just had a question. I don't know Matt Bailey but it sounds like you do. I have just learned that most of the time we only hear half of the information we need to make sound judgement.
Stan

Three Rivers, MI

#31 Apr 14, 2011
Sounds like that is the way the law works in Elizabethton. Or would it just be only if your the family member of the Police Chief? Just resign Chief and save yourself anymore embarrassing statements you really are a disgrace and so are the other officers involved.
Stan

Three Rivers, MI

#32 Apr 14, 2011
How much more information do you need to see to realize this man told several different stories. Why say cops stop him and he admitted to having the drugs then tell another story that he just had a hunch it was his son. Why 3 weeks later was the kid charged? If he was doing the right thing and his officers from the start? I wonder if there is video from the traffic stop? Still no answer for the cops sending him on his way with drugs.
priorcop

Franklin, TN

#33 Apr 15, 2011
Kids make mistakes wrote:
<quoted text> I have a question for you. Could it be that they were watching the little fish to get the big fish. If they issued warrents for the little fish it would be out before they could try and get the big fish. If the warrent was issued to quick could it not mess the whole sting up. Just asking.
I believe thats what the news story indicated was going on prior to him being pulled over (surveillance). But once he's contacted by police, he knows he's being watched and any surveillance after that point becomes next to useless. So assuming this was what they were doing, they wouldn't have moved on any of them until they were ready to reel them all in. The story doesn't indicate it (unless I missed it) but I'm guessing part of his plea bargain was to testify against whoever was selling drugs in the house he was at. I am sure there's alot more to this story than what was in the paper though.
Kids make mistakes

Johnson City, TN

#34 Apr 15, 2011
priorcop wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe thats what the news story indicated was going on prior to him being pulled over (surveillance). But once he's contacted by police, he knows he's being watched and any surveillance after that point becomes next to useless. So assuming this was what they were doing, they wouldn't have moved on any of them until they were ready to reel them all in. The story doesn't indicate it (unless I missed it) but I'm guessing part of his plea bargain was to testify against whoever was selling drugs in the house he was at. I am sure there's alot more to this story than what was in the paper though.
Thanks for the info. I guess we may never know the whole story but the chiefs son was charged and will have his day in court like anybody else. I just hope this whole mess will change the boys life and put it in the right direction. It would more concerning if the boy's charges had been dismissed. I wish nothing but the best for this young man from this point forward. I do thank you for taking time to answer my question.
Peanut

Johnson City, TN

#35 Apr 15, 2011
<quoted text>Thanks for the info. I guess we may never know the whole story but the chiefs son was charged and will have his day in court like anybody else. I just hope this whole mess will change the boys life and put it in the right direction. It would more concerning if the boy's charges had been dismissed. I wish nothing but the best for this young man from this point forward. I do thank you for taking time to answer my question.
May as well have been he received a fine of only $500.00 and the charge was reduced to simple possession from the original charge of intent to resell and the paraphernalia charge he received because he had scales was dismissed and no jail time. A drug dealer got off with a slap on the hand because his dad was Chief of police.
nobody

Johnson City, TN

#36 Apr 15, 2011
The cops get to live by their own rules. They do what they want with no accountability. If the Police Chief is the way he is, imagine how the others are.
Istanbull

Elizabethton, TN

#37 Apr 15, 2011
He also got expungment which means it will be wiped off his record in a year unless he screws up.
And was his vehicle seized? They have the right to seize a vehicle found with dope in it.
SAD

Bybee, TN

#38 Apr 15, 2011
Complain all you want. Your wasting your breath. This is CARTER COUNTY!
Mary Jane

Louisville, TN

#39 Apr 15, 2011
<quoted text>Thanks for the info. I guess we may never know the whole story but the chiefs son was charged and will have his day in court like anybody else. I just hope this whole mess will change the boys life and put it in the right direction. It would more concerning if the boy's charges had been dismissed. I wish nothing but the best for this young man from this point forward. I do thank you for taking time to answer my question.
I think we all agree that all "kids make mistakes" even our own and hope that when they do that they learn from them and others forgive them and give them a second chance.
Also, I think we also all agree that all kids should be treated equally when they break the law, no matter "who" they are.
And this forum is about- if the Eliz. police dept. treated the Chief's son like any one else's son or daughter would have been treated.
Only an outside investigation would be able to tell that. And if the chief's son was not given any special treatment then.... "the Chief himself should insist on TBI investigating this incident."
Now, that is "tough love".
Can you do that Matt?
beenthere

Cleveland, TN

#40 Apr 15, 2011
nobody wrote:
The cops get to live by their own rules. They do what they want with no accountability. If the Police Chief is the way he is, imagine how the others are.
I was done dirty as hell by the City and police Chief Deal .the only excuse I got after beating them was their jobs were political . They Will do what ever it takes to cover each other .TBI needs to look into this and remove any doubt
Curious George

Louisville, TN

#41 Apr 15, 2011
priorcop wrote:
<quoted text>
Testifing against drug dealers is dangerous.(I am not a drug dealer or cop, I watch CSI and all those other crime shows, and read the paper and watch the news) I hope the Chief knows what he is doing and not endangering his 18 year old son, just to save his own job and pride. Maybe that is why they haven't put Justin's picture in the paper. To protect him. Because I am like other people now, wondering what his son told to get such a good plea bargin. The other drug dealers may be wondering too now.
And if the detectives are still continuing their investigation into drug activity at the unidentified property, they might want to stop and start looking other places. I think their uncover operation was probably blown when they arrested Justin for a minor traffic violation just after he left the unidentified PROPERTY and now all that additonal information in the newspaper and on TV about his lesser sentence and plea agreement. DUH. This is a small community where everyone knows everyone elses business.
They should have just said he was arrested and the reason why, like they do everyone else, to protect him and so they could continue their investigation.
Maybe all the big fish that the police were waiting to catch have now quickly left the UNIDENTIFIED premises.
SAD

Bybee, TN

#42 Apr 15, 2011
Worry about your own lives and leave everyone else's alone. Thats whats wrong with this county in the first place. Too many gossips and nosey people. Nothing anyone says will change what happened.
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

#43 Apr 15, 2011
The guy sounds like a total a-hole. Turning in his own kid for a harmless plant! Now I know why so many people call them pigs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Three Drug Raids In Chillicothe 2 hr joanna50 82
SW Va. girl, 3, eats meth, mother charged (Feb '14) 5 hr mustang10 40
Canton man sent to prison on drug possession, p... 6 hr Wet and Wild 42
Lawson: Will group want to bring back wolves? 8 hr kim 1
5 Arrested In Huntington Drug Raid 9 hr Tonya 12
White supremacist gang busted (May '06) 9 hr Jaimie 217
Pill-addicted veterans get second chance with t... 9 hr my lai 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••