DRUG CHARGES: Ex-student allegedly made painkiller in UMass Lowell lab

There are 20 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 1, 2010, titled DRUG CHARGES: Ex-student allegedly made painkiller in UMass Lowell lab. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A former UMass Lowell graduate student and teaching assistant was arrested yesterday, accused of making a powerful painkiller in the university lab he was given to do research.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Mr Garrison

Lowell, MA

#1 Oct 1, 2010
This kid has been a screw up for years. It's too bad, comes from a good family.
Used to drink bottles of Robo @ LHS.
Tyngsborough

Merrimack, NH

#2 Oct 1, 2010
So UMASSLowell PAID this guy to work in a lab where he manufactured his own line of illegal drugs?
And this guy was described as "very messy" and made other students nervous?
And this guy was caught ONLY because he was yelling and screaming as he ran through a hallway at UMASSLowell?
What kind of background check was done on this guy?
And shouldn't environmental health and safety be concerned about students' exposure to fumes from his illegal concoctions?
ANDROMEDA

Lowell, MA

#3 Oct 1, 2010
HA HA HA and last week you were trumpeting the possibility of adding a pharmacology lab in Weed hall.
Looks like this guy beat you to it
mike

Tewksbury, MA

#5 Oct 1, 2010
he is to smart for his own good.that dude used to go to school after drinking coughsyrup by the bottles and some herion and still be the smartest guy in the room.i figured he would be dead by now
Tunnel zombie

Westford, MA

#6 Oct 1, 2010
Nothing like Tussin and Mountain dew for breakfast. He was a good smart kid just got too messed up. never thought he'd turn out to be a mad chemist. good luck roger.
loser

Quincy, MA

#7 Oct 1, 2010
what a total loser
hope he rots in jail
Tyngsborough

Merrimack, NH

#8 Oct 1, 2010
My God, the guy looks like a mad scientist in the photo accompanying this article!
UMASSLowell needs to conduct a review of its' hiring practices.
And who would give this guy a lab to do research in?
And what's UMASSLowell's response?
"We haven't had incidents like this in the past," said Patricia McCafferty, chief public-affairs officer.
And that's supposed to make us feel better about THIS incident?
Sk1ds

Lowell, MA

#9 Oct 1, 2010
This kid is the smartest kid at UML. At least he's making something! This school is really a joke! I went to UML for IT, but we never even crack open up a computer. We just sat there and read about computer networking...but never touched a damn router. Do you know how embarassing it is to have a degree in something you never did?
bluefish

Nashua, NH

#10 Oct 1, 2010
Since he was fired from Dartmouth for the same, didn't UMass-Lowell do a background check on him or at least call his previous employers? I feel bad for the people paying to send their kids there.I would want some answers.
Lay Off

Suncook, NH

#11 Oct 1, 2010
Hey Lay off O'Connor, he is a good kid that comes from a great family. He was making the fentanyl because he suffers from chronic back pain. Hopefully none of you ever suffer from pain, because no one is going to give you pain killers. O'Connor was the pride of Umass Lowell and it is too bad an unfortunate incident like this had to happen.
Veronica

Chelmsford, MA

#12 Oct 1, 2010
I am shocked that this man was even given a lab to do 'research' in. From what I gather from this article, UML needs to take a thorough look at who it hires and allows to do research. I wonder how much money was wasted on supplies to make these illegal concoctions. If I were a parent or a student at the school I would want an explanation.
Arte

Cambridge, MA

#13 Oct 1, 2010
Cool
John

Lowell, MA

#14 Oct 1, 2010
Sk1ds wrote:
This kid is the smartest kid at UML. At least he's making something! This school is really a joke! I went to UML for IT, but we never even crack open up a computer. We just sat there and read about computer networking...but never touched a damn router. Do you know how embarassing it is to have a degree in something you never did?
Maybe you should have majored in something worthwhile. Blame yourself and not the school.
But that is too bad about Roger. He's brilliant. He just didn't use his intelligence in the right way.
Highlandah

Anchorage, AK

#15 Oct 1, 2010
Hopefully he can sober up and use his intellect, education and passion for something more useful. Pain will never cease as sure as we are alive: whether physical, emotional or psychological we are all subjected to pain one way or another. Hopefully something positive will come from this.
Veronica

Chelmsford, MA

#16 Oct 1, 2010
Lay Off wrote:
Hey Lay off O'Connor, he is a good kid that comes from a great family. He was making the fentanyl because he suffers from chronic back pain. Hopefully none of you ever suffer from pain, because no one is going to give you pain killers. O'Connor was the pride of Umass Lowell and it is too bad an unfortunate incident like this had to happen.
Ok, so what you're saying is because he suffers from chronic back pain and was the 'pride of Umass Lowell' what he did is perfectly acceptable? Well, it isn't. What he did is ILLEGAL. This guy was running his own drug business on UML's dime. It's obvious that he wasn't just making fentanyl for his back problems. The article states PCP, methamphetamine, green leafy substances, clear liquid, and hypodermic needles were found in his possession. I hope the authorities make an example of him. A message needs to be sent that however brilliant you may be, laws still apply to you.
2x UML Grad

Chelmsford, MA

#17 Oct 1, 2010
Clearly this guy was off his rocker and I hope he gets the counseling he needs for his chemical dependencies. But as to his appearance, he looks no worse off than some of the C.S. and Engineering students after pulling a few all nighters.

As to the IT guy, maybe if you picked a real degree like C.S. or EE you would have learned something.
Tunnel zombie

Westford, MA

#18 Oct 1, 2010
He knew what he was doing. Didn't care. Wanted to make a point by making his own dope for personal use. read his facebook wall. It's all there. he knew what he was doing and knew the feds were coming for him. He was bulls*** at regulations on prescription drugs, health insurance, etc. so he made his own. Even had todays date 10-1-10 that it was all coming to an end. Hope you can clean up Roger.
Mr Garrison

Lowell, MA

#19 Oct 1, 2010
Yeah Robo cures back pain, he's been a druggie since high school.
UML sure dropped the ball hiring this one.
Love that his buyers provide feedback though..... I only pee blood for the last 3 days, can you get me another batch.
just wondering

Dracut, MA

#20 Oct 1, 2010
will he get credit for the project?

Weed Hall? Too much!
Crap

Salem, NH

#23 Oct 1, 2010
Look at the mugshot, I'm pretty sure some good ol' fashion profiling would've wrapped this up earlier! god damn hippies and their god damn dope!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drugs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News East Prairie couple facing multiple drug charges 36 min Guest 4
News Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias (Jul '07) 1 hr broken call lights 261
News Jehovah's Witness and her baby die after she re... 2 hr Covered 104
News Drug problem getting worse for Mingo County 6 hr book em danno 39
News Business serves up more than crawfish after war... 9 hr duh 7
News Police: Search leads to drugs, money, 4 arrests... 12 hr Emjoe 4
News Police Sergeant, Dispatcher Arrested On Federal... 13 hr Jason 1
More from around the web