Viacom suit: YouTube spawns copyright...

Viacom suit: YouTube spawns copyright infringement "explosion"

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from May 26, 2008, titled Viacom suit: YouTube spawns copyright infringement "explosion". In it, Newsday reports that:

A $1 billion copyright infringement lawsuit over YouTube's ability to keep copyrighted material off its popular video-sharing site threatens how hundreds of millions of people exchange all kinds of information ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Parental Alienation Attorney”

Since: Apr 07

Forest Hills, N.Y.

#1 May 26, 2008
Youtube is a national treasure.

It's the only way massive amounts of archived data can be easily distributed. Its search feature is second to none and its content is astonishing.

One can find everything from 50 Cent to Liberace, Woody Woodpecker to the Simpsons. There is no record or video store one can go to to buy such content.

Also, Youtube packages American culture in a single website with a single search box. One can show children operatic and orchestral performances or musical comedy with Victor Borge and Leonid Hambro.

To sue such a system is to wish to hide the best America has to offer: this in a time when the whole world hates us and especially forces in the middle east wish to finish us off.

I for one would love to defend Youtube in a lawsuit. There is sufficient precedent to succeed: attorney fees have been awarded in one case against the RIAA and at least one federal court has held that opening one's files does not equal "distribution" within the meaning of copyright law.

So I pray Youtube endures and Goggle does everything to preserve and even expand it. The archives of all our television history should be made available in Youtube for the world to see us in our best light.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

DMCA News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheap Kitchens Online (Oct '16) Oct '16 mufasolib 1
News Supreme Court Asked to Review Dancing Baby Copy... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Moliner 1
News Taylor Swift takes on YouTube (Jun '16) Jun '16 Kanye WHO 2
News Fappening 4 Includes Nude Selfie Leaks Of Male ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 ChrissJ 1
News (Aug '14) Aug '14 FedBook down last... 1
News ACTA puts digital rights on table (Nov '09) Feb '14 Tom 2
News Ex-Navy chaplain: I'll shoot 'Right Wing Watch'... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Tory II 10
More from around the web