Coast Guard: South Florida relatives fueling Haitian migrant smuggling

Full story: The Miami Herald
U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral William Baumgartner, explains the ongoing smuggling through South Florida from Cuba to the Miami Herald Editorial Board as Lt. Full Story
FOLLOWthemoney

Bryn Mawr, PA

#1 Aug 19, 2013
This is exactly how a lot of immigrant smuggling occurs-the relatives. The stories I've heard from south Florida, um um. I've heard stories of Haitians washing ashore on tourist beaches then running as soon as they saw the police. I heard they like to use the fishing piers as markers. This is also why these same relatives might do things like commit food stamp fraud to send food back not so much to eat but sell on the black market.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/isle_take_...

It's not just south Florida it's like this all up and down the east coast. South Florida gets the boats but then they are smuggled north in many cases. NY seems to be a haven for Caribbean illegal immigrants. As do other big cities between Miami and NY.

My Caribbean neighbor almost always arrives here at his second or third home in the middle of the night. Same for leaving. You think he's gone but there is frequently someone in the house. He says he leaves the radio on.
FOLLOWthemoney

Bryn Mawr, PA

#3 Aug 20, 2013
Haitian smuggling and illegal immigration has been going on for over a decade. Here an incident from 2000.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-04-29/n...

Smugglers still charging about the same at 1500 dollars a person.

This scenario plays out regularly. There's a reason that many areas in South Florida beg for people who speak Creole a bastardized French used in Haiti.

But the big danger from any illegal immigration is what the illegal immigrants bring in with them wether it's contraband or disease.

Haiti has had an AIDs problems for years. I heard rumors early this century that south Florida AIDs patients were skyrocketing. And it's been confirmed with documented patients.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-03-23/h...

Think about all the undocumented immigrants AND AIDs patients that are out there. Disease is a big problem with any illegal immigrant group.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boat Disaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
78-foot boat partially sinks at Huntsville's Di... 14 hr Chris Putman 4
On This Day: The Queen Elizabeth Mysteriously S... (Jan '09) Tue douglas woolley 45
The odds are, tanker safety needs to be discussed Sep 26 Birds Landing Bob 2
Pakistan flood sinks boat carrying wedding party Sep 18 NITiN 3
As migrants flee eastern Cuba, a town mourns th... Sep 17 WE JUST DONT CARE 2
BP ruled 'grossly negligent' in Gulf oil spill Sep 11 Tuco Blondie 4
Milton couple celebrate 72nd anniversary with l... Sep 9 procreate 1

Boat Disaster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE