Canal Winchester blocks low-income ap...

Canal Winchester blocks low-income apartments for elderly

There are 88 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Canal Winchester blocks low-income apartments for elderly. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

The Canal Winchester Village Council made a group of condominium owners very happy last night by narrowly rejecting a project to build apartments for senior citizens next door.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Grandmas

Lynchburg, OH

#82 Nov 3, 2010
Let's see. If the land is zoned commercial and they wanted to change it to residential, they could have a Lowe's or Home Depot or Toys R Us next to them and their Walmart. Better than elders?
Disappointed

Chillicothe, OH

#83 Nov 3, 2010
GAR 142, you might want to do your research before you make such ridiculous comments. If you knew anything about federally subsidized housing, you'd know that they have rules in which no one under the age of 65 can move in. Let's not make assumptions and actually research these things.

And as for Bradley Mo, did it ever occur to you that these seniors may have saved or properly invested for their futures only to realize that they're living much longer than expected? Will you be prepared to live off your savings 40 years after you stopped working? Your idea of moving the housing into a "less expensive area of Columbus" is nothing more than ignorance on your part. Great idea, especially because there is so much land available in the city.

I'm sad to read all of these comments. I can only hope that one of you have a family member who falls into a situation like these seniors and then you'll realize it's not so easy to get by.
Bradley Mo

Columbus, OH

#84 Nov 3, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
GAR 142, you might want to do your research before you make such ridiculous comments. If you knew anything about federally subsidized housing, you'd know that they have rules in which no one under the age of 65 can move in. Let's not make assumptions and actually research these things.
And as for Bradley Mo, did it ever occur to you that these seniors may have saved or properly invested for their futures only to realize that they're living much longer than expected? Will you be prepared to live off your savings 40 years after you stopped working? Your idea of moving the housing into a "less expensive area of Columbus" is nothing more than ignorance on your part. Great idea, especially because there is so much land available in the city.
I'm sad to read all of these comments. I can only hope that one of you have a family member who falls into a situation like these seniors and then you'll realize it's not so easy to get by.
The fact that you "hope" that somone's family falls on hard financial times is sad and sais alot about you. But if they did (which they wont due to hard work and planning), I assure you that they would not expect (or accept) a free apartment in a new suburb.
I am not arguing that seniours should not be given assistance, I'm just stating that peoples'expectations seem a little high. Or maybe I will just move into trump towers next month because I claim that I'm entitled.
And as for room in the city, you obviously have never driven through Columbus. Their is an abundance of vacated homes/buildings that could be grazed. Start using your head.
------------GAR- -----142

United States

#85 Nov 3, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
Perhaps YOU can help me out and post where YOU obtained the 65 age limit you refer to, so I will able to read that legal citation and be familiar with it as you are. Just the section number from you would be sufficient.
..( Speaking of numbers, I'm still trying to figure out" a person living on savings 40 years after you stopped working" as you said. Lets see, 65+40= 105 years old! And YOU call Me ridiculous?
Also, from my EXPERIENCE, those relatives I mentioned, per some of the sec. 8 seniors say, "Oh, they didn't move in with me, the're my guests visiting and just spending a long vacation with me." I thank you Dissappointed, for your 2 cents worth of opinion.
Do not know the FACTS

Springfield, OH

#86 Nov 3, 2010
How many of you that posted comments know the FACTS! Did you attend a meeting? If not, your comments are pointless. The people of this community took an active role in attending all meetings and voicing concerns. We conducted indepth research. We asked the developer to meet with us to explain the development in more detail. From July through November, no meetings with the developer took place.

Did you know only one person has to be 55 years old to live in the "Affordable Housing"?

Did you know 20 hours is the only requirement for an onsite manager?

We were told the residents would police themselves and tell on each other if they were not abiding by the rules!

Did you know that when a manager is not on site that the residents must call the Sheriff department for any type of assistance?

Did you know the size of the apartments being proposed did not meet normal square footage requirement?

Did you know 20% of the residents do not have to be 55 or over? UMMM

Oh one more thing...do you know how many current Senior Living Facilites we have in our Village??? Did not think so......five!

So for those of you that have your comments about CW, please know the facts and listen to everything before judging us.
Little Girl

Grove City, OH

#87 Nov 7, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
I agree with you.
-----------GAR-- ----142

Dublin, OH

#88 Nov 7, 2010
Little Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
I'm STILL WAITING, since Nov.2, for "Disappointed" to answer my request for him/her to back up their statement with factual information, that he/she knows what they're talking about citing ref.to age requirements , etc. Please refer back to my request a couple postings prior to yours. Perhaps you can help out "Disappointed" and me on the subject?

Since: Feb 10

United States

#89 Nov 9, 2010
Do not know the FACTS wrote:
How many of you that posted comments know the FACTS! Did you attend a meeting? If not, your comments are pointless. The people of this community took an active role in attending all meetings and voicing concerns. We conducted indepth research. We asked the developer to meet with us to explain the development in more detail. From July through November, no meetings with the developer took place.
Did you know only one person has to be 55 years old to live in the "Affordable Housing"?
Did you know 20 hours is the only requirement for an onsite manager?
We were told the residents would police themselves and tell on each other if they were not abiding by the rules!
Did you know that when a manager is not on site that the residents must call the Sheriff department for any type of assistance?
Did you know the size of the apartments being proposed did not meet normal square footage requirement?
Did you know 20% of the residents do not have to be 55 or over? UMMM
Oh one more thing...do you know how many current Senior Living Facilites we have in our Village??? Did not think so......five!
So for those of you that have your comments about CW, please know the facts and listen to everything before judging us.
thank you, i didn't have the energy to post details. people really need to educate themselves and ask questions. attend meetings and don't believe 2/3 of the crap you hear. AND most of all don't quit until they really answer your questions. i really enjoyed my time and property in that area. i hope future generations will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Jul '17 easy with slots cash 7
News What is a painting worth? Rockwell director coo... Jul '17 Blind Willie McDill 1
News Retail armageddon: More bankruptcies in four mo... Jun '17 Zombies 1
News Why are there no black-owned grocery stores in ... (Mar '17) May '17 watching livonia 36
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Apr '17 Dawn 109
News Amazon's Ultimatum to City of East Palo Alto: C... (Mar '17) Mar '17 dinerdash2001 1
News Warren Buffett Knows Something About Walmart (Feb '17) Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
More from around the web