Canal Winchester blocks low-income ap...

Canal Winchester blocks low-income apartments for elderly

There are 88 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Nov 2, 2010, titled Canal Winchester blocks low-income apartments for elderly. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

The Canal Winchester Village Council made a group of condominium owners very happy last night by narrowly rejecting a project to build apartments for senior citizens next door.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
CW community

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 2, 2010
turns their back on their own Canal Winchester elderly majority.

howabout

United States

#2 Nov 2, 2010
CW community wrote:
turns their back on their own Canal Winchester elderly majority.
How many elderly citizens of Canal Winchester would qualify for 'low income housing'? I think the elderly in Canal Winchester are just as concerned as everyone else that the project would cause the values of their property to fall also. The ONLY people to benefit from these low income housing schemes are the developers.
Reality

Waterloo, Canada

#3 Nov 2, 2010
Yeah what a bunch of scumbags. But on the other hand, isn't all of canal winchester low income? Only place in the are you can buy two houses on the same street for a total of 150K.. Tons of second 8 and hud homes in the area..But people need to look at the ground water tests in Canal from many years ago before the big boom of cheap ass overpriced housing was built all over.
Advocate for the Elderly

Columbus, OH

#4 Nov 2, 2010
"They said the apartments would lower the value of the neighborhood and attract crime, citing problems with subsidized housing in some Columbus neighborhoods."

Yeah right. How many people have been held at gunpoint, or robbed, by a senior citizen?

I pray for these condominium owners' parents. Where will they be when the people who raised them can't afford to pay rent because of medical costs not supplemented by SSI?

What is the country coming to?
Memo

Columbus, OH

#5 Nov 2, 2010
So these folks don't want to live next to a senior citizen community but the Wal-Mart next door is OK?
No way

Columbus, OH

#6 Nov 2, 2010
They live next to WalMart and they're concerned that senior housing will lower their property value?! The property value is already gone!
old amd poor

Grove City, OH

#7 Nov 2, 2010
That don corbett must be a real A*hole, he sounds like the kind of person how would slap a child and then blame the mother she hit the kid.

I'd be ashamed to live in that area with him
Reap what you sow

Columbus, OH

#8 Nov 2, 2010
The Village of Canal Winchester is full of a bunch of two faced low lifes. Have you ever seen a senior citizen hold up anyone at gun point? This was suppose to be low income apartments for SENIOR CITIZEN!!!!! This community lives in a fantasy world where they think they can keep low income out and thrive...they refused to annex further out on Gender Road and guess what happened?? The City of Columbus allowed the residents and farmers of that area to annex to Columbus, thus creating the all the hud and low income housing along Gender Road and creating the over crowding in their stupid little school system and all the drugs and and other problems they now face. Gee, how does the saying go...."If I only had a brain" had they opened their minds up to the possibilites of annexing, maybe they could have competed with Pickerington, Dublin or Upper Arlington...unfortunately stupid cowtown idiots will always just be stupid, living in their pathetic world with their childish blinders on! Good luck you bunch of stupid hypocrits!!!!
My Opinion

Columbus, OH

#9 Nov 2, 2010
Canal Winchester you should be ashamed. This would benefit the elderly population in your community. The RICH people in those condos should be ashamed too. As usual, w/ politics money talks and that is just what happened here. Just because it's low income housing doesn't mean it will promote crime, you morons. It's SENIOR CITIZENS!!!! Most of these people have worked their entire lives and can't afford the luxuries like other people, but deserve the right to housing. I will make sure to steer people I know away from Canal Winchester. You'd think you are Beverly Hills, YOUR NOT.
GahannaMom

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 2, 2010
Do you know how many low-income senior there are out there? Housing is such an issue for them. With the baby boomers reaching this age we need housing more than ever. These are older adults who deserve a nice, safe place to live. I can't believe the narrow minds that are at work in both Gahanna and now Canal Winchester who will not allow these apts to go forth. What a loss. Hope it is not you or your family member who is not going to be to access affordable housing in the future.
Lacey and me

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 2, 2010
What a anal little community this is.
Dude

Columbus, OH

#12 Nov 2, 2010
Haven't the baby-boomers had it easy enough? They get social security payments that the next generation will never see. I don't feel all that sorry for them. The next generations need to figure out how to save for retirement. Baby-boomers are subsidized.
Tired and Gone

Columbus, OH

#13 Nov 2, 2010
Canal Winchester is a sick little town, ran by the old boys networks and a bunch of small minded people who care very little for their fellow humans. They do not support their residents or their businesses. It's all about who you know, not what is best for everyone concerned. The schools are bloated with overhead, the town is ran extremely inefficiently, and parents let their kids drink/do drugs and run rampant. Good bye Canal Winchester, your best days are behind you.
danforth

United States

#14 Nov 2, 2010
I understand wanting to keep low income housing AWAY from market rate housing. Nobody wants to pay $150K+ for a brand new condo and have someone living next door for free. And it's not just intolerance of the poor. It's the REALITY that condos are hard enough to sell in this town. Try doing the mortgage comps for a condo with low income housing next door. You'll never sell the place !!!

But I would bet that AT LEAST half of all CW residents have an elderly family member that could benefit from low income senior housing.

Ditto for 80% of everyone in the Columbus area.

I mean let's face it. For most seniors in this town who were middle and working class most of their adult lives......most of them are flat broke by the time they reach 80 and their savings are wiped out.
danforth

United States

#15 Nov 2, 2010
Lacey and me wrote:
What a anal little community this is.
No the problem is that people in the low income housing industry (many of whom live in places like Bexley, Blacklick, Gahanna, New Albany, etc) have all decided to build low income housing in a handful of bedroom suburbs, with Canal Winchester being their #1 target.

Canal Winchester isn't the wealthiest place on the plant. But it has a history of being a nice, small, safe, bedroom town and THEY ARE NOT in a position to absorb the many problems of Columbus's poorest residents.
Get some education

Columbus, OH

#16 Nov 2, 2010
"It's not so much what they're building," resident Kem Holland said. "It's the fact that it's low-income housing and we paid good money for our condos to live in a good neighborhood."

Mr. Holland, and others, just proved how bigoted they really are. If you don't understand the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program, go get some education about it before you stupidly justify your vain logic through a "we don't want to share" argument. Take a look at other new LIHTC senior communities in the area. Had you not been told it was LIHTC, you never would have known - they are indistinguishable from market rate.

Do you even know the average life span of a Wal Mart location? Only 2.5 years! So enjoy your plummeting property values when Wal Mart phases out in a few and leaves a vacant storefront next door to you.

I hope you enjoy your run of the mill condo community, and can sleep well at night knowing you just kicked to the curb senior retirees (55 years and older) who are on a fixed income (like most seniors in America). Because I'm sure we all think of the nuisances that cute little old people are and all the crime, drugs, and gang activity they bring... Yeah right. Get a clue, your logic is grossly flawed. And the city council should be ashamed on top of it. You choose to ignore two elected officials in your jurisdiction familiar with the LIHTC program who vouch for it, and you still vote it down? Sickening.
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

#17 Nov 2, 2010
Hey, this must be a Christian community. "Not in my neighborhood!" is their chant. Property values and appearances are more important than being good stewards and neighbors. Oh wait - I forgot - they live next to Walmart! Well, no wonder they don't want to "bring down the neighborhood!"
brat

Bellefontaine, OH

#18 Nov 2, 2010
low income seniors are a much better choice than other low income properties.
personally i don't see the big wuff. you live in walmart's parking lot for all intents and purposes. i would be more concerned about your abilities to make decisions having purchased in such a location when walmart was already there.
you know it's kinda' like complaining about the noise from airports which were there are operating when a subdivision was built. or just down that embanking is an interstate highway. or the grade school down the block.
do you get it yet?
dod

Fostoria, OH

#19 Nov 2, 2010
These people should be so lucky as to have the senior citizens living next door. I imagine very few of them are christians.
I AGREE

Columbus, OH

#20 Nov 2, 2010
Tired and Gone wrote:
Canal Winchester is a sick little town, ran by the old boys networks and a bunch of small minded people who care very little for their fellow humans. They do not support their residents or their businesses. It's all about who you know, not what is best for everyone concerned. The schools are bloated with overhead, the town is ran extremely inefficiently, and parents let their kids drink/do drugs and run rampant. Good bye Canal Winchester, your best days are behind you.
You are 100% correct!! I was born and raised there, worked for the stupid little village government where their employees committ suicide and are drunks who die in their own house fires, He was wasted to wake up and get out when he left food on the stove to burn!!!! I can't wait to see this community over run by crime and become another Hill Top because that is where is will end up!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Apr 21 a taste of Milton 6
News Why are there no black-owned grocery stores in ... Apr 19 ThomasA 35
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Apr 3 Dawn 109
News Amazon's Ultimatum to City of East Palo Alto: C... Mar '17 dinerdash2001 1
News Warren Buffett Knows Something About Walmart Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News Facts shed light on the folly of hoarding bulbs... (Jun '11) Nov '16 Moonbeam 4
News Chambers Filled For Conyers' Appointment to Pit... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Lynn 2
More from around the web