Walmart Supercenter foe will likely appeal vote

Even though the Oroville Planning Commission approved the Walmart Supercenter Wednesday, it could still face an appeal to the City Council. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Critical Ridge Resident

Chico, CA

#41 Nov 15, 2010
Time to break out the hidden cams to prove the fact of some businesses we choose not to shop here in Paradise due to lack of professionalism, courtesy, stock & inventory.
Norman Earhart

Chico, CA

#42 Nov 16, 2010
I will shop where I always have. I will buy online what I would have purchased elsewhere. I will not shop at WalMart. I have had to many bad products to every trust them again.
right on

Oroville, CA

#43 Nov 16, 2010
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are right , however one of the reasons walmart sells food cheaper is because it pays its employees less.It will not benefit the community in the long run. Most Walmart investors ,and CEO's,etc. don't give a crap about Oroville or its employees as long as it makes a profit.There is only one union store that I know is left in Oroville.If your concern is only price and nothing else ,then what can be said. but,Walmarts only concern is to make profit also......
Well, cheaper wages are better than NO wages. And, correct me if I am wrong, but every business is in business to make a profit..why is it only a bad thing when it concerns WalMart? And of course the CEO's etc don't care about Oroville..do you care about whateve town they live in?
right on

Oroville, CA

#44 Nov 16, 2010
Basic wrote:
<quoted text>
I will still shop at Raley's and Wagon Wheel. I go to a lot of other stores in town. If it does not improve it, why fight it?? It will give us who do shop in town more room and less traffic. Remember we have a walmart and they have just about the same thing in them just more of it. walmart has been getting ready for the supper walmart they reduced the amount of stuff they carried. made lower and wider isles and cut back in all departments for the food area. I shop for my sewing supplies in chico. I get the children's clothing at two stores downtown. I get some of my clothes down town. and same for gifts, and books. With the times I have stream lined my list of items I buy and I just do not see it taking anything away from locals. If I walk into that store more than once a month I would be shocked. I am not a fan of cheap stuff from china.
I am also not a fan of cheap stuff from China. Walmart is not the only store in town that sells that junk.. Tractor Supply, Raleys (check out their "gift" area)and most likely every store in town has cheap stuff from China..not to mention produce from around the world when farmers in Calif are growing the same stuff. I cannot afford to shop at Raleys or the trendy little shops downtown.
right on

Oroville, CA

#45 Nov 17, 2010
My mom, sis and I did visit the Yuba City SuperStore yesterday. Clean, wide aisles, helpful employees, and everything you could want under one roof. Much better clothing selection than the store in Oroville..I was impressed overall. As I have said before, I am not a big WalMart shopper, dog and cat food only.. but if we had a store like that, I would shop there more. The produce did not seem that much cheaper, but the quality was wonderful. Prices on clothing was cheaper by a couple of dollars on the items I looked at. It was a pleasant store, had a great day, except for the drive.
missy

Oroville, CA

#46 Nov 17, 2010
Norman Earhart wrote:
I will shop where I always have. I will buy online what I would have purchased elsewhere. I will not shop at WalMart. I have had to many bad products to every trust them again.
I know how you feel. I ate a bad peanut once... I will never trust peanuts again..
Neil

AOL

#47 Nov 17, 2010
right on wrote:
My mom, sis and I did visit the Yuba City SuperStore yesterday. Clean, wide aisles, helpful employees, and everything you could want under one roof. Much better clothing selection than the store in Oroville..I was impressed overall. As I have said before, I am not a big WalMart shopper, dog and cat food only.. but if we had a store like that, I would shop there more. The produce did not seem that much cheaper, but the quality was wonderful. Prices on clothing was cheaper by a couple of dollars on the items I looked at. It was a pleasant store, had a great day, except for the drive.
I to was the Yuba City Wal Mart Super Store. I was impressed with the cleaniness and all the products they had to offer. I di notice that products were cheaper there than here in Oroville wal mart. Another thing I noticed all the other busineses that were around the complex. brining something like that to Feather River Blvd and 5th ave. would sure be an asset to the community.
Basic

Chico, CA

#48 Nov 17, 2010
I look around look at the product is it the best value for my dollar. I never buy anything from China. EVER!!! they make a huge effort to kill or poison our children. anything red is out. If it is from China the children and pets do not get it!
I remember when Sam Walton was alive. Little American flags on everything. You would be hard pressed to find that now. I find Items I like that are American made. I do recheck the labels as sometimes the company's get sold or contract out.
If I end up in a small little store downtown. I look at it and think about who I am giving it to. It may not be much but it is the thought that counts.
missy

Oroville, CA

#49 Nov 21, 2010
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are right , however one of the reasons walmart sells food cheaper is because it pays its employees less.It will not benefit the community in the long run. Most Walmart investors ,and CEO's,etc. don't give a crap about Oroville or its employees as long as it makes a profit.There is only one union store that I know is left in Oroville.If your concern is only price and nothing else ,then what can be said. but,Walmarts only concern is to make profit also......
think about it..a low paying job is better than no job.. I was recently at the Super Center WalMart in Yuba City...the groceries were not all that much cheaper. Sure, the lettuce, etc strategically placed closest to the main door was cheaper, but if you know your prices and take the time to walk around the grocery dept, you can see that the "cheaper" items are "loss leaders" designed to draw you in to shop, so you will buy the rest of your groceries there. All stores do it. Every business is in it for profit, why else would you be in business?(Politely said)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plans to revive old Hawthorne mall stall (Feb '09) Dec '14 Shelly 66
OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Dec '14 The Hack Checker 3
5 things: Wal-Mart battle still waging in McCan... Nov '14 Alipug 2
Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Nov '14 mikmax 73
Lobbyists grease wheels of legislature (Jun '06) Oct '14 Tyler 4
Burwell Speech Aims to Hit Reset Button at HHS Oct '14 duh 4
Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... Sep '14 e voting machines eh 2
More from around the web