Walmart Supercenter foe will likely a...

Walmart Supercenter foe will likely appeal vote

There are 49 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from Nov 12, 2010, titled Walmart Supercenter foe will likely appeal vote. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

Even though the Oroville Planning Commission approved the Walmart Supercenter Wednesday, it could still face an appeal to the City Council.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“eHillbilly on Twitter”

Since: Mar 10

Oroville, PRK

#1 Nov 13, 2010
Kopper is just a union puppet, and John Clough is his useful idiot. It's gonna happen, just get out of the way of progress!
IHATEGREEN

AOL

#2 Nov 13, 2010
People like Kopper need to be dealt with.These people have an anti growth agenda and an anti business agenda unless it is their own law firm.Can you say torte reform?Between guys like him and his buddy in the wheelchair that go around sueing businesses over ADA compliance issues not to mention all the government restrictions,is there any question why nobody wants to do business in California?
right on

Oroville, CA

#3 Nov 13, 2010
Kopper and Clough need to experience a good old fashioned "tar and featherin".. Where are all the great Oroville attorneys who should be speaking up for our town? This whole thing stinks.. why can an out-of-town attorney tell us what to do? If you hate Wal-Mart so much, just don't shop there. I am sick and tired of "the few" dictating to the rest of us, not to mention the waste of money.
right on

Oroville, CA

#4 Nov 13, 2010
IHATEGREEN wrote:
People like Kopper need to be dealt with.These people have an anti growth agenda and an anti business agenda unless it is their own law firm.Can you say torte reform?Between guys like him and his buddy in the wheelchair that go around sueing businesses over ADA compliance issues not to mention all the government restrictions,is there any question why nobody wants to do business in California?
I agree 100%. Great post, thanks
right on

Oroville, CA

#5 Nov 13, 2010
Erudite Hillbilly wrote:
Kopper is just a union puppet, and John Clough is his useful idiot. It's gonna happen, just get out of the way of progress!
The "blog police" just pulled my reply where I said "useless" idiot.. guess I should have bashed Christians or illegal's
supporter

Oroville, CA

#6 Nov 13, 2010
Dear Planning Commission, so in about 45 days this issue will rise again? Then after that will we have to go threw another hearing, and another,and another?When will Oroville wake up. Stop letting these jackasses make policy for us, the people of Oroville. Decay, my hindend. It is Walmart that these fools are out to get. Maybe we all need to flood Koppers office with LEAVE OROVILLE ALONE letters and calls. Anyone have their #? Planning Comm. needs to hear from us (again) YES ON WALMART.
kyb1206

Veneta, OR

#7 Nov 13, 2010
oroville could use a supercenter walmart.
Get informed

Magalia, CA

#8 Nov 13, 2010
The planning commission approved the super center. It has nothing to do with them anymore. But I agree that this attorney needs to get a grip and quite chasing ambulances. Why is it his business? I don't actually want the super center and one of my parents serve on the planning commission but it will bring in jobs. Wal mart has to jump thru tons of hoops including finding a business to go into it's current building. Target anyone? Please please please!
Neil

AOL

#9 Nov 13, 2010
right on wrote:
Kopper and Clough need to experience a good old fashioned "tar and featherin".. Where are all the great Oroville attorneys who should be speaking up for our town? This whole thing stinks.. why can an out-of-town attorney tell us what to do? If you hate Wal-Mart so much, just don't shop there. I am sick and tired of "the few" dictating to the rest of us, not to mention the waste of money.
That out of town attorney is paid for by the union. Union's fight walmart all the time to keep them from coming into the community.
Neil

AOL

#10 Nov 13, 2010
Get informed wrote:
The planning commission approved the super center. It has nothing to do with them anymore. But I agree that this attorney needs to get a grip and quite chasing ambulances. Why is it his business? I don't actually want the super center and one of my parents serve on the planning commission but it will bring in jobs. Wal mart has to jump thru tons of hoops including finding a business to go into it's current building. Target anyone? Please please please!
I have heard from a Wal mart employee that Target was looking at taking the building

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 13, 2010
I'm not sure Oroville can support both a Walmart superstore as well as a Target, but we'll see. The thing to remember is that the current Walmart location is a very prime location. Some store is going to move in there, its just a matter of when not if.
I have heard of other stores wanting to move in there, but I don't want to spread any unfounded rumors. I'll just wait and see.
What I do see is that the entire area will become more of a shopping/retail type stores and less industrial as it is now.
This will employ more people, its all good.
concerned citizen

United States

#12 Nov 13, 2010
Super wal- mart will not benefit Oroville in the long run. It will not create anything of value in the community .It will only relocate wealth from the surrounding ares .It will not help attract tourist.. It will create congestion and more garbage.. Yeah out of town lawyers opposing it ,have their own agenda just like Walmart has their team of lawyers from outside.Tit will create temporary jobs and low scale jobs as well .have fun shopping at a mega store.
just saying

Stockton, CA

#13 Nov 13, 2010
The attorney is just in to make money. He gets paid by stores that don't want the competition and probably by retail clerks union and members. Remember, Wal-Mart will sell groceries at cheaper prices than union stores can. Kopper probably as a cushy house and fancy car paid for by opposing Wal-Mart projects. He doesn't give a crap about what happens in Oroville or what the people want, as long as the money keeps flowing in.
Walmart a good thing

United States

#14 Nov 13, 2010
Walmart is a good thing. The only place to shop in this town is the overpriced specialty downtown shops that choose their own hours to be open. Food Maxx, Raleys for Groceries, we need grocery competition.
We have 3 huge pharmacy box stores, Rite Aid, Wal greens, and CVC, use to be Longs. Did anyone complain when those stores came in?
Oroville does not need Union Jobs, they need jobs. I know a lot of union members who do not have jobs, but they are paying monthly union dues, and they can not take a job that is not union, without trouble from the union.
concerned citizen

United States

#15 Nov 13, 2010
just saying wrote:
The attorney is just in to make money. He gets paid by stores that don't want the competition and probably by retail clerks union and members. Remember, Wal-Mart will sell groceries at cheaper prices than union stores can. Kopper probably as a cushy house and fancy car paid for by opposing Wal-Mart projects. He doesn't give a crap about what happens in Oroville or what the people want, as long as the money keeps flowing in.
YOU are right , however one of the reasons walmart sells food cheaper is because it pays its employees less.It will not benefit the community in the long run. Most Walmart investors ,and CEO's,etc. don't give a crap about Oroville or its employees as long as it makes a profit.There is only one union store that I know is left in Oroville.If your concern is only price and nothing else ,then what can be said. but,Walmarts only concern is to make profit also......
concerned citizen

United States

#16 Nov 13, 2010
Oroville has Collins and Dennys ,Raleys,Groceries Outlet,Food maxx ,Nicks ,Wagon-Wheel so Super wal mart will only take business away from these places .It will not create a new base of people who can afford to buy homes,cars etc. It will stimulate construction temporarily ,however most contractors and suppliers will be from outside Oroville area.Non- unions,low scale employment .Sure some people will save a little extra money ,but it won't provide retirement funds,health insurance anything of real value.Sorry ,to me it doesn't improve Oroville at all.
Basic

Gridley, CA

#17 Nov 13, 2010
Go back to Davis. Or lets let him walk up and down the isles of the existing walmart and smell the people that come in on the first of the month. Lets see what he thinks then. The unions time have come and gone! If we get a supper walmart no one in a union job will be loosing anything! If you like the small mom and pop stores trade with them. We have only one place that is union and that is PCP. maybe the railroad. If they feel so strong about unions let them post so.
Now I know where we can send out homeless people!! DAVIS I think they should all be moved to the Davis area and we might have a clean town!!! They the homeless would love all those bike lanes! Lots of trees etc...
Basic

Gridley, CA

#18 Nov 13, 2010
concerned citizen wrote:
Oroville has Collins and Dennys ,Raleys,Groceries Outlet,Food maxx ,Nicks ,Wagon-Wheel so Super wal mart will only take business away from these places .It will not create a new base of people who can afford to buy homes,cars etc. It will stimulate construction temporarily ,however most contractors and suppliers will be from outside Oroville area.Non- unions,low scale employment .Sure some people will save a little extra money ,but it won't provide retirement funds,health insurance anything of real value.Sorry ,to me it doesn't improve Oroville at all.
I will still shop at Raley's and Wagon Wheel. I go to a lot of other stores in town. If it does not improve it, why fight it?? It will give us who do shop in town more room and less traffic. Remember we have a walmart and they have just about the same thing in them just more of it. walmart has been getting ready for the supper walmart they reduced the amount of stuff they carried. made lower and wider isles and cut back in all departments for the food area. I shop for my sewing supplies in chico. I get the children's clothing at two stores downtown. I get some of my clothes down town. and same for gifts, and books. With the times I have stream lined my list of items I buy and I just do not see it taking anything away from locals. If I walk into that store more than once a month I would be shocked. I am not a fan of cheap stuff from china.
concerned citizen

United States

#19 Nov 13, 2010
Walmart a good thing wrote:
Walmart is a good thing. The only place to shop in this town is the overpriced specialty downtown shops that choose their own hours to be open. Food Maxx, Raleys for Groceries, we need grocery competition.
We have 3 huge pharmacy box stores, Rite Aid, Wal greens, and CVC, use to be Longs. Did anyone complain when those stores came in?
Oroville does not need Union Jobs, they need jobs. I know a lot of union members who do not have jobs, but they are paying monthly union dues, and they can not take a job that is not union, without trouble from the union.
The only store that I know of that is union shop is Raleys ,your agrumeent doesn't hold water .You can only be blame unions for higher prices at RALEYS .Grocerice outlet IS ALSO NON UNION...There is also Wagon Wheel,Collins and Dennys ,and Nicks at least for Groceries .They are also owned by people in the area .
concerned citizen

United States

#20 Nov 13, 2010
Basic wrote:
Go back to Davis. Or lets let him walk up and down the isles of the existing walmart and smell the people that come in on the first of the month. Lets see what he thinks then. The unions time have come and gone! If we get a supper walmart no one in a union job will be loosing anything! If you like the small mom and pop stores trade with them. We have only one place that is union and that is PCP. maybe the railroad. If they feel so strong about unions let them post so.
Now I know where we can send out homeless people!! DAVIS I think they should all be moved to the Davis area and we might have a clean town!!! They the homeless would love all those bike lanes! Lots of trees etc...
Actually there is large population of retired Laborers ,Operators ,Iron Workers ,Cement Mason who collect pension in this area who shop at walmart.Not to mention Granite Construction.Your water company employees are also represented by union ,who also shop at walmart,lets not forget PG&E people either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warren Buffett Knows Something About Walmart Feb 18 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News Facts shed light on the folly of hoarding bulbs... (Jun '11) Nov '16 Moonbeam 4
News Chambers Filled For Conyers' Appointment to Pit... Sep '16 Lynn 2
News Wal-Mart may re-examine Vallejo store (Feb '08) Jul '16 Walter 29
News To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christ... (Jun '09) Jul '16 Sam 92
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Jul '16 Hillary liar liar 109
News Opinions divided, politely, over gay pride marc... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Logic Analysis 5
More from around the web