Wal-Mart in Granite Falls?

Wal-Mart in Granite Falls?

There are 149 comments on the Hickory Daily Record story from Mar 14, 2006, titled Wal-Mart in Granite Falls?. In it, Hickory Daily Record reports that:

GRANITE FALLS - Wal-Mart may be coming to Granite Falls. Lauth Property Group, based in Indiana, has the option to purchase a 125-acre site near the intersection of U.S. 321 and New Farm Road, owned by Ray and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hickory Daily Record.

The Sarge

Lincolnton, NC

#122 Jul 30, 2007
Chinas biggest customer wrote:
80% of walmart goods come from China. We are trading our jobs for low prices.... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...
Commonly referred to as "the high cost, of low prices"...
KitKat

United States

#123 Oct 26, 2007
housewife wrote:
I want a Duncan Donuts!(while we're wishing):) Starbucks too...why not!
I could go for a Duncan Donuts too.
Usa Gal

United States

#124 Oct 26, 2007
The Sarge wrote:
<quoted text>
Commonly referred to as "the high cost, of low prices"...
Good one Yogi Sarge
The Sarge

Lincolnton, NC

#125 Nov 9, 2007
Usa Gal wrote:
<quoted text>Good one Yogi Sarge
The sad part is, it's not a joke.......
The Sarge

Lincolnton, NC

#126 Nov 10, 2007
Report: China halts export of bead toys tainted with toxic drug

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/11/09/t ...

The toy had recently crested Wal-Mart's list of top 12 Christmas toys.
kyle

Salisbury, NC

#127 Aug 3, 2008
it is the best thing granite falls has ever had!
Rico

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

#128 Aug 3, 2008
questions2 wrote:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/ frontline/shows/walmart/
There are many reasons to not want Wall Mart in town. Look at the above site and check out the rest of the Wall Mart story. You may just change your mind.
No they won't, reading these posts is bring back so many memories, Like the fight against prisons, wow, the'll never build one in my back yard, etc...When the jobs left, the folks demanded prisons for their neighborhood, anything for a job, good or bad, what's the diff?..Manipulation, so mind changing, Walmarts will destroy every mom and pop business in the area, but you'll still defend Walmart to the death...The more you shop at walMart the more you'll learn to hate it, mark my words, this is a fact...
Rico

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

#129 Aug 3, 2008
gth wrote:
<quoted text>
Read this on how they pay. However, many local politicians are "convinced $$$" and unless the public/citizens stop them they will probably give in.
http://www.topix.com/state/ks/2007/07/forget-...
Lets talk taxes, the big incentive to cities with a WalMart is that collecting taxes becomes so much more cost effective, once the mom & pops are gone that no-hassel tax payment to the cty is so welcome, you have to realize that collecting taxes is like pulling teeth, all kinds of excuses, months behind etc., with wallmart, things just got a lot easier...And WalMart will bring their buddy along, Lowes...Politicians are lazy, this is easy!
babblethis

Piedmont, SC

#130 Aug 3, 2008
who could even think of eating with that smell lurking around there...it stinks to high heaven...and turns my stomach just passing threw on my way to work...i heard its a turkey farm and then i heard a horse farm..whatever it is...IT STINKS!
WALMART EMPLOYEE GRANITE

Carolina Beach, NC

#131 Aug 26, 2008
I JUST WNT TO SAY THAT I HAVE WORKED AT WALMART IN GRANITE SINCE SET UP. I HAVE WORKED IN OTHER PLACES IN THE PAST THAT ARE NASTY........NO AIR CONDITION....TALKED TO LIKE A DOG.......AND MADE TO FEEL WORTHLESS......
WELL AT WALMART IN GRANITE.....WE HAVE A NICE CHRISTIAN MAN AS OUR MANAGER WITH A VERY NICE CLEAN STORE ....THAT IS AIR CONDITIONED WITH A NICE BREAK ROOM........WE ALSO HAVE CLEAN RESTROOMS AND SOMETIMES WE GET TREATED WIH FRESH DOUGHNUTS FROM BAKERY........OH YEAH.DONT FORGET THE HOUR FOR LUNCH........DID I TELL YOU WE MAKE A DOLLAR MORE ON THE HOUR FOR WORKING AT NIGHT AND ON SUNDAYS........NOT TO MENTION BENEFITS SUCH AS DISCOUNT CARD THAT CAN BE USED AT ANY WALMART.......INSURANCE.....AN D LETS NOT FORGET SICK TIME YOU EARN FOR GOOD ATTENDANCE..........
I JUST CANT THINK OF ANOTHER THAT OFFERS ALL THESE THINGS TO THEIR EMPLOYEES..........I DRIVE 6 MILES TO WORK AND IM SAVING ALL THAT MONEY ON GAS NOW........NO MORE DRIVING TO HICKORY FOR ME........
love my job

Greenville, SC

#132 Aug 28, 2008
WALMART EMPLOYEE GRANITE wrote:
I JUST WNT TO SAY THAT I HAVE WORKED AT WALMART IN GRANITE SINCE SET UP. I HAVE WORKED IN OTHER PLACES IN THE PAST THAT ARE NASTY........NO AIR CONDITION....TALKED TO LIKE A DOG.......AND MADE TO FEEL WORTHLESS......
WELL AT WALMART IN GRANITE.....WE HAVE A NICE CHRISTIAN MAN AS OUR MANAGER WITH A VERY NICE CLEAN STORE ....THAT IS AIR CONDITIONED WITH A NICE BREAK ROOM........WE ALSO HAVE CLEAN RESTROOMS AND SOMETIMES WE GET TREATED WIH FRESH DOUGHNUTS FROM BAKERY........OH YEAH.DONT FORGET THE HOUR FOR LUNCH........DID I TELL YOU WE MAKE A DOLLAR MORE ON THE HOUR FOR WORKING AT NIGHT AND ON SUNDAYS........NOT TO MENTION BENEFITS SUCH AS DISCOUNT CARD THAT CAN BE USED AT ANY WALMART.......INSURANCE.....AN D LETS NOT FORGET SICK TIME YOU EARN FOR GOOD ATTENDANCE..........
I JUST CANT THINK OF ANOTHER THAT OFFERS ALL THESE THINGS TO THEIR EMPLOYEES..........I DRIVE 6 MILES TO WORK AND IM SAVING ALL THAT MONEY ON GAS NOW........NO MORE DRIVING TO HICKORY FOR ME........
Well, some of us work at Walmart's competitor and we get all of that, except we get fresh Krispy Kreme donuts, cookouts, and catered meals at busy times (like black Friday), and for employee appreciation. We get paid holidays and 401k contribution too. I love my store and my job!
Just Wondering

Schaumburg, IL

#133 Aug 28, 2008
love my job wrote:
<quoted text>Well, some of us work at Walmart's competitor and we get all of that, except we get fresh Krispy Kreme donuts, cookouts, and catered meals at busy times (like black Friday), and for employee appreciation. We get paid holidays and 401k contribution too. I love my store and my job!
Well, don't just leave us hanging!(LOL) Where is this wonder place? I need to tell my daughter.

Since: Jan 08

Wendell, NC

#134 Aug 28, 2008
Just Wondering wrote:
<quoted text> Well, don't just leave us hanging!(LOL) Where is this wonder place? I need to tell my daughter.
Has to be Target?
Just Wondering

Opp, AL

#135 Aug 28, 2008
Could be.
love my job

Greenville, SC

#136 Aug 29, 2008
Fuhgettahbowdit wrote:
<quoted text>
Has to be Target?
ding, ding, ding
Just Wondering

Schaumburg, IL

#137 Aug 29, 2008
love my job wrote:
<quoted text>ding, ding, ding
LOL! I'll pass this along. Thanks.
very happy now

Banner Elk, NC

#138 Sep 5, 2008
i have worked at Wal-Mart since set up. Wonderful place to work. Have worked at a few other places close around and not been treated very nice at those places. I talk to alot of people that use to be your customers that are now customers of Wal-Marts. Better open your eyes. You don't treat people like dogs and get away with it forever. Someday the good lord will take things away from you.
love my job

Greenville, SC

#139 Sep 5, 2008
very happy now wrote:
i have worked at Wal-Mart since set up. Wonderful place to work. Have worked at a few other places close around and not been treated very nice at those places. I talk to alot of people that use to be your customers that are now customers of Wal-Marts. Better open your eyes. You don't treat people like dogs and get away with it forever. Someday the good lord will take things away from you.
I can't imagine why anyone would rather shop at Wal Mart, but that's my opinion. The difference between Wal Mart and Target is like the difference between apples and oranges, you get a sour one in either, every once in awhile. I once asked an associate at Wal Mart where something was and you would have thought I just asked her to lick my shoes. She was very rude and gave me a vague location so I asked her to show me where "over there" was exactly. That really ripped her! Anyway I don't own Target, so I don't look for the Lord to take it away from me. Enjoy your job, I know I do!
donut head

Morganton, NC

#140 Jun 11, 2010
has anybody heard anything about dunkin donuts coming to hickory
DHU

Bailey, NC

#141 Jun 11, 2010
this is a granite post,, not hickory !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Nov '17 cadescove99 110
News Mount Pleasant mayoral candidate Linda Page: To... Nov '17 PJS 2
News Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Oct '17 John Cooper Sr 74
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Jul '17 easy with slots cash 7
News What is a painting worth? Rockwell director coo... Jul '17 Blind Willie McDill 1
News Retail armageddon: More bankruptcies in four mo... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Zombies 1
News Why are there no black-owned grocery stores in ... (Mar '17) May '17 watching livonia 36
More from around the web