Bill Varuola: Foolishness from the West Side to the GOP side

From time to time, it became necessary for one of our three sons to spent time in something called a residential treatment center. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Liberalosity

Monterey Park, CA

#24 Aug 21, 2010
It is pretty obvious that you cannot reason with radicals from EITHER side. Facts confuse them.
Florabel Muir

Rio Rancho, NM

#25 Aug 21, 2010
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>OK, but that was not the topic of the column. Care to try again?
Sure, but maybe you can help me. Here's what Bill wrote:
"And one more thing.
Had the Republicans heard about the Battle of Cafeteria Hill, there would have been verification of the lethality of the New Black Panthers at about the same level.
Because that's all it seems to take for the Republicans to get worked up about something. They utterly destroyed the nation's economy, the Democrats stumbled into clearly improving it and the Republicans mounted a national campaign based on (a) the Tea Party usurping their power, and (b) their undying insistence that the best way for the nation to do well is to compress its wealth into the hands of those who have most of it already, then see what happens next.
Think about that. People who are forever telling us that the government shouldn't have our money because it's best not to concentrate the people's wealth in such an entity would rather we put it in the close care of the people who brought us the banking collapse.
No doubt you're tired of my making this point in its varied forms, but I have realized the elegance of a strategy that has revealed itself here and elsewhere. That is, identify a void and exploit it as a failing of your opponent.
The New Black Panthers are remarkably silly (see: the Mighty West Side Crips) so there must be so foolishness corresponding on the left. The Republicans persist in financial irresponsibility, they were compelled to by some foolishness on the left."

Admittedly, Bill throws a lot at the wall to see what sticks - which is why in my first post I said I thought he went off the rails a bit at the end. But the whole point of his son's experience was to make the comparison to the New Black Panthers.
What did you think it was about?
Truth

Rio Rancho, NM

#26 Aug 21, 2010
Florabel Muir wrote:
Can't help but notice that with all the bashing, not one person has addressed the topic of the column - the ridiculous paranoia generated over a couple of misfits calling themselves the New Black Panthers.
That might be because Bill's writing is so pathetically oblique that it's almost impossible to find a rational thought in it. And, it is so fueled by pure, and wholly unsubstantiated partisanship as to be a caricature of debate. And, having Black Panthers (new or otherwise) standing in front of polling places brandishing billing clubs, is quite simply an attempt at voter intimidation, a felony and for all intents and purposes, an act of treason. Thus paranoia is not paranoia, nor is it ridiculous. They were posting threatening, armed thugs at polling places. Period.
Truth

Rio Rancho, NM

#27 Aug 21, 2010
Florabel Muir wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but maybe you can help me. Here's what Bill wrote:
"And one more thing.
Had the Republicans heard about the Battle of Cafeteria Hill, there would have been verification of the lethality of the New Black Panthers at about the same level.
Because that's all it seems to take for the Republicans to get worked up about something. They utterly destroyed the nation's economy, the Democrats stumbled into clearly improving it and the Republicans mounted a national campaign based on (a) the Tea Party usurping their power, and (b) their undying insistence that the best way for the nation to do well is to compress its wealth into the hands of those who have most of it already, then see what happens next.
Think about that. People who are forever telling us that the government shouldn't have our money because it's best not to concentrate the people's wealth in such an entity would rather we put it in the close care of the people who brought us the banking collapse.
No doubt you're tired of my making this point in its varied forms, but I have realized the elegance of a strategy that has revealed itself here and elsewhere. That is, identify a void and exploit it as a failing of your opponent.
The New Black Panthers are remarkably silly (see: the Mighty West Side Crips) so there must be so foolishness corresponding on the left. The Republicans persist in financial irresponsibility, they were compelled to by some foolishness on the left."
Admittedly, Bill throws a lot at the wall to see what sticks - which is why in my first post I said I thought he went off the rails a bit at the end. But the whole point of his son's experience was to make the comparison to the New Black Panthers.
What did you think it was about?
It was about exploiting his own family situation to make a bunch of partisan political statements or to try to minimize the gravity of his personal situation by misrepresenting other events and their gravity. Who knows exactly what goes on in a sick mind.
Florabel Muir

Rio Rancho, NM

#28 Aug 21, 2010
Not sure what a "billing club" is (sorry, I couldn't resist), but the point you and SB make about exploiting his son is one not to be taken lightly. I presume from her comments following Bill's last column that she knows him, his late wife and their family. I don't. And, reading Topix I have come to respect SB, even when I disagree with her. I read the column and saw a father telling a humorous story about innocent comments made by his son that were seen as far more sinister than they were, and then making the comparison to the New Black Panthers (which really was the point of the column, the confusion of WTF notwithstanding). My perception was, no doubt, colored by the fact that I agreed with his premise, as your perception is colored by the fact you disagree.
Truth

Rio Rancho, NM

#29 Aug 22, 2010
Florabel Muir wrote:
Not sure what a "billing club" is (sorry, I couldn't resist), but the point you and SB make about exploiting his son is one not to be taken lightly. I presume from her comments following Bill's last column that she knows him, his late wife and their family. I don't. And, reading Topix I have come to respect SB, even when I disagree with her. I read the column and saw a father telling a humorous story about innocent comments made by his son that were seen as far more sinister than they were, and then making the comparison to the New Black Panthers (which really was the point of the column, the confusion of WTF notwithstanding). My perception was, no doubt, colored by the fact that I agreed with his premise, as your perception is colored by the fact you disagree.
Your observation of perceptions being colored is no doubt accurate.(Yes, billing club should have been billy club). When I first read the obituary for his wife, I immediate wrote on Topix to express sympathy and condolences for the family and Bill. No one deserves the kind of pain associated with a beloved spouse. My tummy got tight when Bill wrote the next column, which could have been a pure, simple paean to his wife and he couldn't help but throw in some political garbage that messed it all up. Sad.
Think about it

AOL

#30 Aug 23, 2010
The Black Panthers who stood in front of a polling station should have been prosecuted by the Justice Dept. The fact that they were not is troubling.

The Bush administration was doing financially well until the democrats took both the house and senate in 2006.

Congress writes the checks and is supposed to make a budget. A budget is something this democratic congress has refused to write, preferring the continuing resolution process.

Congress has failed to write budgets in the past, but just like each of us, when there is plenty of money we don't pay attention to the details as closely as we do when the 'out go' is greater than the 'income'.

At this time it is imperative for congress to stop spending money and sit and write a budget. Everyone needs to understand where we are and where we can expect to be.

Back to the black panthers, we prosecute individuals, not groups. If a west side gang member robs a house, we prosecute the individual not the whole gang.

What these two individuals did was a prosecutible offense. It does not make a difference what group they proclaim to be members of, and their association should not 'protect' them from prosecution.
nm native

United States

#31 Aug 23, 2010
Father of former student wrote:
Bill, you were an **** when my son had you for a class and your worse now. Get a clue!
There is a reason that this MINDLESS !DIOT is teaching at a Prision facility. He sucks so bad that If people had the right to walk out of his class,,,,,,THEY ALL WOULD!!!!!

What really pisses me off, is that MY TAX DOLLARS go to pay this CLOWN....

Whats wrong with the education system,,,,look no further than who the Sun News has writing for them....If these two straight-line brain waves are the majority of the types in out schools and Universities,,,,,no wonder we are where we are!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, by the way Bigot,(Bill) I was in Sams the other night and I stood behind 2 people at the check outs, who were using the motorized shopping carts,,,,,guess what they WERE NOT,,,,,,NOT fat white women,,,,but they spoke very good english,,so I am sure they were AMERICANS!!!!
Good Point

Rio Rancho, NM

#32 Aug 23, 2010
nm native wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a reason that this MINDLESS !DIOT is teaching at a Prision facility. He sucks so bad that If people had the right to walk out of his class,,,,,,THEY ALL WOULD!!!!!
What really pisses me off, is that MY TAX DOLLARS go to pay this CLOWN....
Whats wrong with the education system,,,,look no further than who the Sun News has writing for them....If these two straight-line brain waves are the majority of the types in out schools and Universities,,,,,no wonder we are where we are!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, by the way Bigot,(Bill) I was in Sams the other night and I stood behind 2 people at the check outs, who were using the motorized shopping carts,,,,,guess what they WERE NOT,,,,,,NOT fat white women,,,,but they spoke very good english,,so I am sure they were AMERICANS!!!!
Bravo! Well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plans to revive old Hawthorne mall stall (Feb '09) Dec '14 Shelly 66
OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Dec '14 The Hack Checker 3
5 things: Wal-Mart battle still waging in McCan... Nov '14 Alipug 2
Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Nov '14 mikmax 73
Lobbyists grease wheels of legislature (Jun '06) Oct '14 Tyler 4
Burwell Speech Aims to Hit Reset Button at HHS Oct '14 duh 4
Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... (Aug '14) Sep '14 e voting machines eh 2
More from around the web