Military agrees to whittle down devel...

Military agrees to whittle down development - The Park Record

There are 30 comments on the Park Record story from Jan 27, 2011, titled Military agrees to whittle down development - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

Those in Summit County who are pining for a Costco might soon get their wish. A non-binding agreement between Summit County, Park City and the state Military Installation Development Authority contemplates a Costco near The Home Depot in the Snyderville Basin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Skeptic

United States

#21 Jan 29, 2011
charly main wrote:
<quoted text>
absolutely! how dare anyone try to engage in Capitalism in this county. don't they know we have many people that rely on the gov't limiting competition so that the lucky few can gouge the residents here? Outrageous. Next thing you know, someone is going to want to enforce immigration laws here!
How is giving subsidized, non-taxable business benefits to a government-owned organization "capitalism"????? This is not capitalism, free enterprise, or democracy; it is an "old boys network", pure and simple. The "simple" part refers to the simple-minded LDS legislators who will do everything in their petty power to "stick it" to us heathens up here in western Summit County. They won't allow this in THEIR backyards, but are happy to force it down out throats - all the while pontificating about the evils of having government impose such things on the citizenry. Most of those in-breds don't know how to spell "hypocrisy", but they sure know how to do it.
Facts are better---

Salt Lake City, UT

#22 Jan 29, 2011
Where's the beef, Digthat? We've been waiting for 10 years for some well meaning soul to come up with a viable alternative. That you? Let's see the money for vouchers...someone's gotta pay and right now they aren't beating down the door. Only beaters I see are sitting on the sidelines. How's it feel?
Bob

United States

#23 Feb 3, 2011
There goes the neighborhood. Isn't there enough empty stores around and that's just what 248 needs more traffic. Oh well anything for a buck attitude still prevails in Park City and the quality of drops again.
Bob may be insane

Salt Lake City, UT

#24 Feb 7, 2011
Bob wrote:
There goes the neighborhood. Isn't there enough empty stores around and that's just what 248 needs more traffic. Oh well anything for a buck attitude still prevails in Park City and the quality of drops again.
We need it. MIDA will bring great jobs and help our community grow. Who cares what somebody from Oregon says anyway. Are they even a state? No. Just a lot of crazy dems who hate our military and tax the --- out of anybody who lives or drives through that place up there. We should be welcoming the military and the jobs and money they will bring. What the hecht is "quality of drops". See point proven.
What

Park City, UT

#25 Feb 7, 2011
Insane,

Explain how a state that has no sales tax can tax the $^%$$^% out of anybody, that makes no sense. By the way insulting others so you feel better about yourself should stop in the 8th grade, grow up. In theory a hotel for the military is a great idea, the problem is the backhanded way its being done. As far as growing our community, remember that NONE of the tax money made will go to our community though we are expected to provide for the infrastructure for the development. Costco will bring jobs, but I don't know how great they'll be. Costco does take good care of their employee's but hourly wages still top out in the low teens. How can that be a step in the right direction in a community with the highest cost of living in the state.
hardyharhar

Draper, UT

#26 Feb 7, 2011
Bob may be insane wrote:
<quoted text>We need it. MIDA will bring great jobs and help our community grow. Who cares what somebody from Oregon says anyway. Are they even a state? No. Just a lot of crazy dems who hate our military and tax the --- out of anybody who lives or drives through that place up there. We should be welcoming the military and the jobs and money they will bring. What the hecht is "quality of drops". See point proven.
I am assuming that Bob is one of those that 'knows what is best' for all of us. While YOU might engage in a debate to figure out the 'truth' or the closest approximation of it, Bob will smugly sit back in wonder at the stupidity of those that don't think like him. What he won't realize, of course, is the action that he mistakes for 'thinking' is actually narcissistic self-loathing that manifests itself an a variety of anti-american conclusions. That, coupled with his progressive brainwashing, makes him a fool.

The 'quality of drops' certainly did not go down when larger retailers arrived here. On the contrary, available selection substantially expanded, prices decreased, jobs increased, and the greedy locals that made a living off of gouging us had to actually compete for the first time.

I know 'compete' is a nasty word to you progressives, but Americans realize it is the basis of our system and is the sure-fired way to 'spread the wealth.' Innovation and hard work are our path back to who we were, not a nanny-state run by a government that wants to 'help us.'
hardyharhar

Draper, UT

#27 Feb 7, 2011
What wrote:
Insane,
Explain how a state that has no sales tax can tax the $^%$$^% out of anybody, that makes no sense. By the way insulting others so you feel better about yourself should stop in the 8th grade, grow up. In theory a hotel for the military is a great idea, the problem is the backhanded way its being done. As far as growing our community, remember that NONE of the tax money made will go to our community though we are expected to provide for the infrastructure for the development. Costco will bring jobs, but I don't know how great they'll be. Costco does take good care of their employee's but hourly wages still top out in the low teens. How can that be a step in the right direction in a community with the highest cost of living in the state.
Yes Townie, you have made it very clear that the way you would like to 'grow' our community is through handouts and subsidies.

perhaps we should build a commune in place of the Military Development. People can pay for their accomodations with LOVE and sparkly things.
Townie

Ogden, UT

#28 Feb 7, 2011
hardyharhar wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Townie, you have made it very clear that the way you would like to 'grow' our community is through handouts and subsidies.
perhaps we should build a commune in place of the Military Development. People can pay for their accomodations with LOVE and sparkly things.
AT least I always post under the same moniker (although others have used it as well). The post you replied to was not written by me. Surprise, people in Park City with IP addresses of Park City are probably far more than those of you with IP addresses of Layton.

Again, you fail to provide any facts and prefer ad hominem attacks on an anonymous forum. Please provide one instance where I suggested handouts and subsidies. I am all for a regulated free-market and not having the government (in this case the state and feds) over-riding local control.
Square footage

Salt Lake City, UT

#29 Feb 7, 2011
What is the square footage of the Cost Co versus the square footage of the overall development?

I'm trying to decide which side of the fence I'm on on this one?
Also, are the rooms open to the public when not utilized by servicemen and families?
Townie

Ogden, UT

#30 Feb 7, 2011
Square footage wrote:
What is the square footage of the Cost Co versus the square footage of the overall development?
I'm trying to decide which side of the fence I'm on on this one?
Also, are the rooms open to the public when not utilized by servicemen and families?
Costco runs about 100K square feet, Target about the same. Total number being bandied about is 350K square feet. The hotel would be a hotel in every sense except servicemen and women would have their rooms subsidized by the sales taxes collected by the retail development.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A sign hangs outside of a Dick's Sporting Goods... Fri Frankie Rizzo 227
News Panel recommends rezoning of land for proposed ... Mar '18 mark menser 1
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Mar '18 Gord brings lots ... 8
News Retailers fight for lower credit-card fees as b... Mar '18 is Tandia really ... 1
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Nov '17 cadescove99 110
News Mount Pleasant mayoral candidate Linda Page: To... (Oct '17) Nov '17 PJS 2
News Oroville super Walmart project appeals consider... (Dec '10) Oct '17 John Cooper Sr 74