Balloon Track future before voters again inEureka

There are 38 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Oct 25, 2010, titled Balloon Track future before voters again inEureka. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Tensions ran high roughly a decade ago when the zoning of the Balloon Track property in Eureka first went to voters, but the same stage does not seem to be set for the upcoming November election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Deja Vu

Eureka, CA

#21 Oct 25, 2010
Had voters approved Walmart in '99 a "mixed-use" Marina Center would never have come along.

Patience is a virtue lacking from proponents of Measure "N".

Truckee is successfully expanding their Old Town into their toxic Balloon Tract without one big box. Clean up and construction is progressing because they sought citizen buy-in and involvement before the decisions were made.(As opposed to the high-rollers rigging the system to tell you where to shop).

Kevin Hamblin's crocodile tears over "fallow land" is ludicrous...unless Humboldt Bay were to disappear. Repeating the canard about citizens driving to Crescent City for Walmart or HD doesn't make it true. Honestly, putting the kids in that old car for a 6-hour drive to save some chump change?

Thank you Allison, and before it's too late, would you please be the FIRST reporter willing to ask the candidates to cite their source showing that another big box will improve our rural economy. Or, ask them to refute the ONLY independent economic research completed for Eureka,(Bay Area Economics), that concluded Eureka was already saturated in low wage retail a decade ago.

Oh, I forgot.

Those who love complaining about the homeless, drug abuse and crime, still run this town and they need more poverty-wage jobs so they can keep complaining.

A win-win.
Fun time

Eureka, CA

#22 Oct 25, 2010
Yea for any large corporate store that will make for more jobs and cheaper prices. The hell with the phoney locals that everybody thinks are so wonderful.
They pay employees the lowest possible wages, hire mostly 20 or less hrs a week so no benefits, little or no training (how often have you asked a cleark aquestion or 2 about a product and got zip for answers).
They take their money and invest it in larger corporations, go on trips outside the area, buy ski chalets somewhere else, etc.
Yet you kow tow to their BS whining. They bhave you brainwashed. Like Renners as an example as they give you a card for a few cents less for their already overpriced gas at their other stations they supply.
Screw them, give me and many more fair prices.
Michael

Vancouver, WA

#23 Oct 25, 2010
old timer wrote:
Both could leave a lot of empty buildings if abandoned mid-stream. In our current economy both seem over-sized for our area.
You mean like the all the empty buildings that already exist along 4th and 5th streets and all over Old Town.

"In our current economy" means that jobs are needed, not shunned.

We all know nothing will come of this - nothing ever does in this area.
angry

Eureka, CA

#24 Oct 25, 2010
Couch and Bud wrote:
<quoted text>You WILL be angry when you buy a cheap-**** s sheet of plywood from them for $18 Bucks...
You get what you pay for. It can't be any cheaper than the pieces of c.r.a.p. they have at Pierson's.
Markus

Fairfield, CA

#25 Oct 25, 2010
Fun time wrote:
Yea for any large corporate store that will make for more jobs and cheaper prices. The hell with the phoney locals that everybody thinks are so wonderful.
They pay employees the lowest possible wages, hire mostly 20 or less hrs a week so no benefits, little or no training (how often have you asked a cleark aquestion or 2 about a product and got zip for answers).
They take their money and invest it in larger corporations, go on trips outside the area, buy ski chalets somewhere else, etc.
Yet you kow tow to their BS whining. They bhave you brainwashed. Like Renners as an example as they give you a card for a few cents less for their already overpriced gas at their other stations they supply.
Screw them, give me and many more fair prices.
Beats the crap out of unemployment even though that is a preferred way of making money for many people. Why work if you can suck money from people for doing nothing, just head to the trough or look for a vacant piggy teet.
Markus

Fairfield, CA

#26 Oct 25, 2010
Yes on N

No on Liberals
BobA

Coeur D Alene, ID

#27 Oct 25, 2010
This is so old of hearing. Just like the train track.There is nothing in Eureka to keep me there.
Fishing is shot and logging is gone. Bring in some work that is what Eureka needs. 45 year native.
I don't even want to move back. See ya Eureka!
The real story

Richmond, CA

#28 Oct 25, 2010
Yes, I defy Mr. Gans to produce one shred of irrefutable evidence that Home Depot is still coming. The fact that they have been unwilling to confirm that they are, for the last four years, speaks volumes. Reality check, people?
The recent cleanup settlement announced a few weeks ago, between Humboldt Baykeeper and Security National, is the REAL cleanup that CREG had always talked about, something Baykeeper had to drag SN kicking and screaming thru federal court to agree to, and then, only very reluctantly. Very few people now know that this settlement mandates a restoration of historical wetlands that are scattered about the 40-acre site, not confined to one area, the way SN had tried to sell us that they were. So, what does this mean?
It means that because of the dispersed nature of the location of wetlands at the BT, there will be precious buildable space left for the so-called alleged "mixed use development" (and necessary parking) that has been sold to the Eureka public (and every T-S writer who mentions the Marina Center) since 2006. So, I defy anybody - Randy Gans especially - to prove that the development, as proposed, will still be able to be sited there, in light of the geographical restrictions imposed by the new settlement.
An idea for your next story, Allison, hmmmmm?

Since: Oct 10

Eureka,Ca.

#29 Oct 25, 2010
The real story wrote:
Yes, I defy Mr. Gans to produce one shred of irrefutable evidence that Home Depot is still coming. The fact that they have been unwilling to confirm that they are, for the last four years, speaks volumes. Reality check, people?
The recent cleanup settlement announced a few weeks ago, between Humboldt Baykeeper and Security National, is the REAL cleanup that CREG had always talked about, something Baykeeper had to drag SN kicking and screaming thru federal court to agree to, and then, only very reluctantly. Very few people now know that this settlement mandates a restoration of historical wetlands that are scattered about the 40-acre site, not confined to one area, the way SN had tried to sell us that they were. So, what does this mean?
It means that because of the dispersed nature of the location of wetlands at the BT, there will be precious buildable space left for the so-called alleged "mixed use development" (and necessary parking) that has been sold to the Eureka public (and every T-S writer who mentions the Marina Center) since 2006. So, I defy anybody - Randy Gans especially - to prove that the development, as proposed, will still be able to be sited there, in light of the geographical restrictions imposed by the new settlement.
An idea for your next story, Allison, hmmmmm?
So what's your complaint here. Sounds like you are getting everything you want. If HD doesn't want to come, If they can't build it the way they wanted where is the anger coming from. Why not say hoo-ray and go about your business. If they still want to go ahead why not support them and be happy. Personally I don't think you can because your type just wants to bitch and throw up roadblocks to anything you don't personally agree with. Typical narrow minded "progressive" or should I say regressive.
The real story

United States

#30 Oct 25, 2010
Hoo-ray!!!

Guess I touched a nerve there, eh?

Redding and Santa Rosa are waiting for you. Sounds like you would appreciate their Big Box-saturated environs much more than our jewel of a small town, with its many independent businesses, which SOME OF US truly cherish and will do whatever it takes to protect!

See ya! And don't let the door hit ya on the ass on the way out!

Since: Oct 10

Eureka,Ca.

#31 Oct 25, 2010
The real story wrote:
Hoo-ray!!!
Redding and Santa Rosa are waiting for you. Sounds like you would appreciate their Big Box-saturated environs much more than our jewel of a small town, with its many independent businesses, which SOME OF US truly cherish and will do whatever it takes to protect!
See ya! And don't let the door hit ya on the **** on the way out!
Our jewel of a small town won't be around much longer if we don't start promoting some kind of business here soon. If you haven't noticed we are sinking. And all of the "small businesses aren't supporting the expenses. Oh wait, let's buy another shuttered school and turn it into a park. We can't afford the parks, streets,water/sewer infrastructure now. Oh wait, let's turn the balloon track into some kind of public govt supported venue like so many have suggested. Are you even a resident of the city of Eureka. Please answer as I would like to know and be honest. I have been a resident for 54 yrs so don't talk to me about cherishing this city.
thats what you say now

Eureka, CA

#32 Oct 26, 2010
Who doesn't shop @ winco?
we will see what happen's
Fun time

Eureka, CA

#33 Oct 26, 2010
The real story wrote:
Hoo-ray!!!
See ya! And don't let the door hit ya on the **** on the way out!
Your jewel has developed many cracks in it. You must either own or work or have family that does in some of these woderful rip off small businesses. It's bad enough they rip customers off with high prices but then to do it to their employees is rally sad.
What is a sick joke they play on their employees is when they give them a 10% or so discount on stuff they can't afford due to their low wages with no benefits.
Yep you have a jewel.

To repeat so others also understand the falseness of supporting them doesn't do much for the local economy (I do know there are a small few who do right by their employees but still charge high prices).

"Yea for any large corporate store that will make for more jobs and cheaper prices. The hell with the phoney locals that everybody thinks are so wonderful.
They pay employees the lowest possible wages, hire mostly 20 or less hrs a week so no benefits, little or no training (how often have you asked a cleark a question or 2 about a product and got zip for answers).
Yet you kow tow to their BS whining. They have you brainwashed. Like Renners as an example as they give you a card for a few cents less for their already overpriced gas at their other stations they supply.
Screw them, give me and many more fair prices."

We (I and friends and family) often shop in San Fran, Sac & Oregon for many items 2 or 3 times a year, especially for Christmas.
It does not cost us any more in transpo either because we have family and friends in these areas that we go to visit anyway..
Carlos

San Francisco, CA

#34 Oct 26, 2010
Eureka wants government jobs because no matter how trashed the economy may be, government (us citizens) will always pay the rent bill via tax money. If government took over the balloon tract and ever got into the food industry, entertainment business and medical services business we would see pizza parlors, video rentals and a state run sex change clinic. Of course if the dopers bill passes we'll see pot stores up the a s s as well.

What a great place Eureka will become, even the Pelican Bay graduates will want to stay here instead of going elsewhere. Add a little Obama policy in there and great day, we can have a mega federal tax center in there as well and Karl Marx would be proud!
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

#35 Oct 26, 2010
Markus wrote:
<quoted text>
Beats the crap out of unemployment even though that is a preferred way of making money for many people. Why work if you can suck money from people for doing nothing, just head to the trough or look for a vacant piggy teet.
Look! Another bigot spewing hatred against the extremely poor because it makes him feel better for being merely poor!

The Germans called it Shadenfreud.

Unemployment insurance is funded by employees and employers, it only provides half of what you earned in your best quarter before it ends! Because most minimum wage work is part-time, the average unemployment benefit is around $1,200, or about $90 a week for 13 weeks.

Only a bigot, or an idiot would call this welfare...

There are one or two posts here that provide actual, verifiable information, the rest are emotional blind-faith, right-wing, voodoo economics.

Once again, Humboldt County is the last place on Earth to learn that big boxes have negative impacts on rural economies. They are parasitic. Once they drive out local-owned small business, they drive out larger competitors, then they leave. The Mid-West is riddled with their carcasses.

In reality, if there were SO MANY unfilled jobs in Eureka, wages would rise.
Markus

San Francisco, CA

#36 Oct 26, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Look! Another bigot spewing hatred against the extremely poor because it makes him feel better for being merely poor!
The Germans called it Shadenfreud.
Unemployment insurance is funded by employees and employers, it only provides half of what you earned in your best quarter before it ends! Because most minimum wage work is part-time, the average unemployment benefit is around $1,200, or about $90 a week for 13 weeks.
Only a bigot, or an idiot would call this welfare...
There are one or two posts here that provide actual, verifiable information, the rest are emotional blind-faith, right-wing, voodoo economics.
Once again, Humboldt County is the last place on Earth to learn that big boxes have negative impacts on rural economies. They are parasitic. Once they drive out local-owned small business, they drive out larger competitors, then they leave. The Mid-West is riddled with their carcasses.
In reality, if there were SO MANY unfilled jobs in Eureka, wages would rise.
Typical reply from a dirt-bag filthy liberal communist, a hand out not a hand up. Same old sh-it, give a liberal a cookie and the a-hole will "DEMAND" a glass of milk.
Devil

San Francisco, CA

#37 Oct 26, 2010
I left this one blank on my absentee ballot

I don't see any reason to vote for or against a ballot measure that was paid for by the business looking to directly benefit from the said measure.
peabody

Eureka, CA

#38 Nov 5, 2010
ALLISON ,please check your facts. Neal Latt IS NOT a spokes person for Citizens For A Better Eureka.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... May 18 Dude 6
News Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... (Aug '14) May 11 timr is up for yoy 4
News Evolving awareness is cause for same-sex-marria... Apr 25 Lawrence Wolf 13
News Indiana religious objections law slammed on soc... Apr '15 NorCal Native 238
News Indiana officials look to stem religious object... Mar '15 Long_Live_Freedom 5
News Indiana officials look to stem religious object... Mar '15 Go Blue Forever 69
News Walmart opens in Suisun City with 3 mayors, 4-f... Mar '15 Iamsid 2
More from around the web