Johnson Controls zoning change rejected

Johnson Controls zoning change rejected

There are 27 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Oct 12, 2010, titled Johnson Controls zoning change rejected. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

The Select Board unanimously approved the town plan Monday after a trio of board members were unsuccessful in their attempt to change the zoning of a long-dormant property.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TruthTeller

Middlebury, VT

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Gladstone is right on top of this -- He's having it listed for sale in the worst year for real estate and business since 1929. Not to mention his idea that a public agency is responsible for selling his polluted property. The owner ought to clean it up, and then it will sell.
Bandit

Bennington, VT

#2 Oct 13, 2010
Has anyone asked Mrs. Colvin and her little gang where they are going to get industry to come to this place? These people are living in the past.
Bandit

Bennington, VT

#3 Oct 13, 2010
TruthTeller wrote:
Gladstone is right on top of this -- He's having it listed for sale in the worst year for real estate and business since 1929. Not to mention his idea that a public agency is responsible for selling his polluted property. The owner ought to clean it up, and then it will sell.
The liability for the property stays with anyone who owns it. There is no such thing as a clean-up. You must be another Vermonter that has no idea about business and government.
REA

Washington, DC

#4 Oct 13, 2010
Change the property tax methodology. Right now the JCS property is taxed at ~$4k; about the same as a single family house in Bennington. A more sucessful model would be to base land on its potential. This has been done in several places in the country (ie Harrisburg, PA)and has countered slum-lording, vacant buildings, and sitting on property (ie JCS)until the owner gets thier way or is subsidized by the town. If you want the owner to do something you have to provide an incentive or disincentive; hoping and wishing doesn't accomplish anything.

By changing the rules improved property will be taxed less and under-improved property will go up; making it attractive to keep property up or used properly.
Fred

Austin, TX

#5 Oct 13, 2010
Good move! We do not need more stores outside of Main Street. Who needs them destroying the country side. I think Bennington was right to keep WalMart where it is an should continue to not allow sprawl.
sam i am

United States

#6 Oct 13, 2010
I asked in a way. Industry Is DEAD. DEaD. Dead. No business past. 2008. Will build. Plasan cut back. OMG people.
Watchedit

South Hadley, MA

#7 Oct 13, 2010
Write them and tell them what you think. I believe these contacts are current.

Lodie Colvin
[email protected]
PO Box 681
Bennington VT 05201

John A Zink
[email protected]
236 Fox Hill Rd
Bennington VT 05201

Sharyn L Brush
[email protected]
208 Prospect St
Bennington VT 05201

Joseph Krawczyk Jr
[email protected]
286 Rice Ln
Bennington VT 05201

Matthew D Maroney
[email protected]
9 Corey Ln
Bennington VT 05201

Christopher H Oldham
[email protected]
3 Scarey Ln
Bennington VT 05201

Jason P Morrissey
[email protected]
PO Box 14
Bennington VT 05201

There is another way to get their attention. If you don't like the way they are running your town and you can't get them to change simply show them with your vote when they are up for reelection.
patriot

United States

#8 Oct 13, 2010
REA is correct. That sort of tax structuring would shake things up around Bennington immensely. Not just this property, but also the clapboard ghettos on Benmont and Pleasant. Vermont has no industrial development policy that's realistic. I'm not wild about more bottom-feeder jobs at retail strips but I don't think Lodie's plan will come to fruition. BTW, Oldham's presence on this board constitutes a flagrant conflict of interested for someone who works in journalism in any capacity. I wonder if his corporate headquarters is aware of it.
local shopper

Bennington, VT

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Fred wrote:
Good move! We do not need more stores outside of Main Street. Who needs them destroying the country side. I think Bennington was right to keep WalMart where it is an should continue to not allow sprawl.
Pffft, Main Street...Benn. loses retail revenue to Pittsfield, Albany, Rutland & the internet due to shopping needs being unmet locally. How is allowing stores where there once was a factory "destruction of the country side"? Most everything along that stretch of road is commercial now.
Huntersdad

South Hadley, MA

#10 Oct 13, 2010
Some people just don't get it.
Outsider

Bennington, VT

#11 Oct 13, 2010
patriot wrote:
BTW, Oldham's presence on this board constitutes a flagrant conflict of interested for someone who works in journalism in any capacity. I wonder if his corporate headquarters is aware of it.
I don't know Mr. Oldham or what his "day job" is. But from the public's perspective [and not his employer's, I assume they are big boys and don't need our help] why is it any more a conflict for someone who works in journalism than someone who works in say real estate, or the law, or education, or retail, or banking,,..? Do we want only wealthy, unemployed, celibate, philosophers running our government? We need real people, broadly representative of the population, with a sense of leadership, who recognize a conflict and recuse themselves when their job, or their family, or their neighborhood, etc. raises their personal interest over the public interest, or could reasonably cause someone to think it could. Unless Mr. Oldham has been charged with doing an in depth report on the industrial or retail real estate market for the Banner or whomever he works for, and has some knowledge for a story that hasn't yet been published, I can't see where he has a conflict. But maybe you know something I don't. If so please share it.
ZapBangGone

South Hadley, MA

#12 Oct 13, 2010
By your own description and admission Outsider you need not post here any longer. We are big boys and girls and don't need bigger boys or girls like you to keep telling us how it is or should be. Freedom of speech may allow you to continue your rant but it also guarantees it will be falling on def ears.

“Proud American and Vermonter”

Since: Feb 09

Bennington

#13 Oct 13, 2010
As I have said before they are keeping this 18 acres of land zoned industrial for one reason, to protect downtown. I am all for doing what's necessary to keep our downtown alive. But it is my belief that in their efforts of doing this, they are hurting the rest of Bennington.

Bennington

#14 Oct 13, 2010
Fred wrote:
So what happens when there is no longer any available space on Main Street? We go to the boarders of Bennington an put out the No Vacancy signs?? Bennington needs to be allowed to grow and we need members on that select board that will allow it.
Downtown

South Hadley, MA

#15 Oct 13, 2010
Of course they are hurting the rest of Bennington but they are protecting their own interest and thats all that matters right? WRONG! Believe me this will all be adjusted in future town elections.

If they really wanted to protect the downtown how about they start filling some of the empty stores like that new Sheriff Chad Schmidt for Bennington County Sheriff store that just reopened with four new eyesore signs in the windows that I have no choice than to look at every time I go through the four corners. They only have one item for sale but it's not worth what it cost and I'm not buying it! It'll be old and dusty before anyone buys it and I would rather see anything else for sale in there. Thats just an example but I think you get my drift.

Bennington

#16 Oct 13, 2010
Downtown wrote:
Of course they are hurting the rest of Bennington but they are protecting their own interest and thats all that matters right? WRONG! Believe me this will all be adjusted in future town elections.
If they really wanted to protect the downtown how about they start filling some of the empty stores like that new Sheriff Chad Schmidt for Bennington County Sheriff store that just reopened with four new eyesore signs in the windows that I have no choice than to look at every time I go through the four corners. They only have one item for sale but it's not worth what it cost and I'm not buying it! It'll be old and dusty before anyone buys it and I would rather see anything else for sale in there. Thats just an example but I think you get my drift.
There are ways around four corners..
TruthTellert

Middlebury, VT

#17 Oct 13, 2010
Bandit wrote:
<quoted text>
The liability for the property stays with anyone who owns it. There is no such thing as a clean-up. You must be another Vermonter that has no idea about business and government.
So are you trying to tell us that ground polluted sites can not be cleaned up?
TruthTellert

Middlebury, VT

#18 Oct 13, 2010
sam i am wrote:
I asked in a way. Industry Is DEAD. DEaD. Dead. No business past. 2008. Will build. Plasan cut back. OMG people.
Plasan is expanding. They geared up and then cleaned out dead-wood.
TruthTellert

Middlebury, VT

#19 Oct 13, 2010
Bandit wrote:
Has anyone asked Mrs. Colvin and her little gang where they are going to get industry to come to this place? These people are living in the past.
What past is that? Its about the only site left in Bennington with rail access. Are you really trying to claim that no one who needs a rail connection will ever come to Bennington? What 900 number did you call for that?

PS: The clean up cost for commercial use is beyond what anyone could recover from sales. The owner is trying everything to get rid of it -- except properly trying to package and sell it.
WhosNext

South Hadley, MA

#20 Oct 13, 2010
Is this TruthTellert someone famous that we should know? Talk about a know it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Floyd Co. Schools To Dismiss Early For Eclipse Wed Truth 1
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Jul 22 easy with slots cash 7
News What is a painting worth? Rockwell director coo... Jul 21 Blind Willie McDill 1
News Retail armageddon: More bankruptcies in four mo... Jun '17 Zombies 1
News Why are there no black-owned grocery stores in ... May '17 watching livonia 36
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Apr '17 Dawn 109
News Amazon's Ultimatum to City of East Palo Alto: C... Mar '17 dinerdash2001 1
More from around the web