Olive Garden stirs Las Cruces appetities

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Have you caught the Olive Garden fever? Does the phrase "breadsticks" overheard at the water cooler cause your ears to prick up? For years, snatches of conversation could be heard all around town: "The manager at the restaurant in El Paso told me that they are ready to build one up here," was an oft-repeated sentiment.
Comments
1 - 20 of 125 Comments Last updated May 9, 2011
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Master Debater

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Good grief, what's this, story #842 on the subject? Enough already. A 4 sentence update in the "what's new" section would suffice.
As The Stomach Turns

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

LOL I agree there's been way too much overkill on this. Hasn't anyone in New Mexico ever heard of an Olive Garden before? How backwards can you get? LMFAO!
Nice

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

All I can say is great. More competition should keep the price hikes down. Just keep hoping that they begin to expand out towards the East Mesa on 70 because, it is a pain in the gas tank to keep traveling into town to do and buy everything.
Carol

Southern Pines, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

I will not eat at any Olive Garden, or any of the other restaurants in its parent corporation due to the corporation's homophobic employee policies. I will not put a dime in the coffers of any business that makes no bones about firing someone who is a member of the LGBTI community.
LC Today

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Nice wrote:
All I can say is great. More competition should keep the price hikes down. Just keep hoping that they begin to expand out towards the East Mesa on 70 because, it is a pain in the gas tank to keep traveling into town to do and buy everything.
Move into town, end of pain in the gas tank.
LC Today

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Have eaten at lots of better places than Olive Garden!
my dime in the coffers

Gallup, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Carol wrote:
I will not eat at any Olive Garden, or any of the other restaurants in its parent corporation due to the corporation's homophobic employee policies. I will not put a dime in the coffers of any business that makes no bones about firing someone who is a member of the LGBTI community.
there will be many who choose to eat there for just that fact!!
BottleRocket

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Microwaved lasagna for the lemmings
OMG

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

An article about a chain-restaurant opening? Where do I live? What a way to start the week.
crockberger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Master Debater wrote:
Good grief, what's this, story #842 on the subject? Enough already. A 4 sentence update in the "what's new" section would suffice.
because the citizens of Las Cruces want government services rather than private growth (for the most part) Stockberger is finding it tough to come up with positive new economic growth talking points on our fair city.....
BayAreaHydro

Daly City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Carol wrote:
I did not know they were homophobic, but now that I know I will eat their more often to support the cause.
Smartguy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

crockberger wrote:
<quoted text>because the citizens of Las Cruces want government services rather than private growth (for the most part) Stockberger is finding it tough to come up with positive new economic growth talking points on our fair city.....
,,and always with the dumass steinborn agents comments
Ron from Budget

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Ugh! I hope the LC Olive Garden is better than the one in Roseville California.$18 for spaghetti and meatballs and the meatballs were tough like tennis balls. Yuk!
Ron from Budget

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Carol wrote:
Most interesting, Carol. Many years ago, I protested at a Red Lobster in Fort Smith, Arkansas, which was at the time also a General Mills company, because of GM's corporate support of Planned Parenthood, the nation's premier provider of abortions. Since that time, the GM restaurants were spun off. Not sure who owns them now, but the $18 spaghetti-and-tennis balls dinner I had in January is enough to keep me away.
OMG

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Olive Garden, the Restaurant of Evil!
I for one refuse to eat at P.F. Changs, as they discriminate against Eskimos.
Have you seen ONE recipe using seal blubber on a P.F. Chang menu? No!
Stop discrimination in the mass marketing, chain restautant business.
Eat only at restaurants that have well thought out, socially progressive hiring programs.
After all, if "Olive Garden" doesn't save the world, who will?
Lorenzos

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Well, Lorenzo's better clean up their freaking restaurant. Health Violations? National chains are WAY safer, and to be honest, competition is just what we need. I think the location sucks though, I would have put it on the corner of telshor and university.
really

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Carol wrote:
If this is true, sweet. I am eating there daily now... go srew off with your rights and crap, no gay i know even wants to be married, so lets save marriage for those of us that will stay married.
Oblio

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Curious how they never manage to talk about the large number of restaurants and other businesses that have gone, or are going out of business in this dump. Sometimes a 'bigger' name will get a mention, but otherwise, forget it...example, the nice little Greek place on University, Santorini's.

I always give up hope for humanity when I drive by McDonald's and see cars lined up, many cars lined up, at the drive-thru window.

What have we become?
Anthony NM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Carol wrote:
Supposedly, they have changed their policies since the original incidents that caused the homophobic charges. ANY business that would openly discriminate against ANY segment of the population is only hurting themselves. For many years, I would avoid Cracker Barrel, but they also changed over the years. Yes, we all vote with our pocketbooks, and most businesses realize this - even Chico's Tacos! http://queercents.com/2006/11/22/boycotting-h...
Anthony NM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

really wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is true, sweet. I am eating there daily now... go srew off with your rights and crap, no gay i know even wants to be married, so lets save marriage for those of us that will stay married.
Wow, how do you go from spaghetti to gay marriage? Bizarre!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Big Box Retailers Discussions

Search the Big Box Retailers Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Accused of Negligence, Wal-Mart Responds to Tra... Jul 20 UhHuh 1
Walmart store plan divides Ballston residents Jun '14 Bonnie 1
The Poor Shouldn't Have To Bear The Cost Of Sol... Jun '14 Alison Young 4
Southfield rejects plans for Walmart store (Feb '13) May '14 idjet 6
What Wal-Mart prefers to keep secret May '14 streamline means job loss 1
Chicago Approves Ban On Plastic Shopping Bags May '14 Guest 1
Day Worker Center celebrates first year Apr '14 John Colby 5
•••
•••