Long Beach plastic bag ban to move fo...

Long Beach plastic bag ban to move forward

There are 12 comments on the Press-Telegram story from Jul 19, 2011, titled Long Beach plastic bag ban to move forward. In it, Press-Telegram reports that:

City officials dropped a proposal Tuesday to delay a citywide plastic bag ban for large retailers after reporting that affected businesses weren't opposed and had already prepared their stores for the change.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Telegram.

The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#1 Jul 20, 2011
So our environment is going to be SO SAFE! Crime is still here, homelessness is still here, housing is still a problem and THERE ARE NO JOBS but the environment is safe. Don't we feel good about ourselves. What would it take to find some of the people without jobs to go out and collect the plastic bags and GET PAID for helping but NO our environment NEEDS TO BE SAFE. The consumer has to pay once again and the fat cats at the city council still have jobs, but I don't see them out there trying to help the environment. They just pencil stroke it and pass it on to the consumer. AND WHAT DOES THIS MOVE DO? Our beaches will look pretty, even though there are less jobs BUT THE ENVIRONMENT WILL BE SAFE? From what?
Morris the Cat

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#2 Jul 20, 2011
The Mad Man wrote:
So our environment is going to be SO SAFE! Crime is still here, homelessness is still here, housing is still a problem and THERE ARE NO JOBS but the environment is safe. Don't we feel good about ourselves. What would it take to find some of the people without jobs to go out and collect the plastic bags and GET PAID for helping but NO our environment NEEDS TO BE SAFE. The consumer has to pay once again and the fat cats at the city council still have jobs, but I don't see them out there trying to help the environment. They just pencil stroke it and pass it on to the consumer. AND WHAT DOES THIS MOVE DO? Our beaches will look pretty, even though there are less jobs BUT THE ENVIRONMENT WILL BE SAFE? From what?
I may be a cat but I'm not fat. I sympathize Mad Man and I can tell you Long Beach ocean water will still look like no one flushed the deuces down. Hey, does anyone know what happenned to all those so-called Green Jobs?
Ed Solis

Fountain Valley, CA

#3 Jul 20, 2011
The Mad Man wrote:
The more businesses and employers the enviroterrorists can run out of Long Beach the better for "global warming". Don't try to compare LB to a rationally governed American City.
Ron Wallace

Fountain Valley, CA

#4 Jul 20, 2011
The Lakewood and Signal Hill Chambers or Commerce will make a large contribution to their representatives in LB City Hall.

Driving business out of LB is one of the most important goals of our elected officials. Just wait until the horror of having nothing more than Suja as Mayor hits the City. Few businesses will survive her reign of terror.
Go Democrats! Tear this City to shreds!
Sack Grabber

Los Gatos, CA

#6 Jul 20, 2011
I'm sure there are supermarkets in Lakewood, that's where I'll be doing my shopping come August 1. Smart move, Lawn Beach!
Bob Lewis

Lakewood, CA

#7 Jul 21, 2011
Suja and her ilk think that we should all wrap our grocerys in bandanas and carry them home on our heads.

What kind of idiotic loser elects people like LB elects to determine their kids future. I remember when being a Democratic voter wasn't the most destructive choice any citizen could make. Do you? I guess when you send something like Laura to represent your families in Congress you prove you are too stupid to handle self government anyway.

Remember, with the LEFT, it is always better to FEEL GOOD than to actually DO ANY GOOD.
bring your own bag BYOB

Apple Valley, CA

#8 Jul 21, 2011
LONG BEACH City officials dropped a proposal Tuesday to delay a citywide plastic bag ban for large retailers after reporting that affected businesses weren't opposed and had already prepared their stores for the change.
of course the stores are ready u idiots (and even if they r not) they cant wait to reap in the profits of overcharging for paper bags/cloth bags what a joke suja lowenthal & company r... first u say targets etc r excluded (LIE) then ur not even smart enough to allocate any of the 10 cents to go to the environment... thanks bone heads for again fleecing the little guy in favor of corporate america...
bring your own bag BYOB

Apple Valley, CA

#9 Jul 21, 2011
also these large business are going to be saving thousands of dollars on not purchasing any type of bags for customer carry outs OMG what a bunch of losers we have in our city council. the paper bags/cloth bags have just become part of their profits.
Seth Adams

Bellflower, CA

#11 Jul 22, 2011
Most people I know use the plastic bags are used to pick up dog poop.

From now on when you see a big, steaming, rancid pile of dog poop on the lawn we can refer to it as a "Suja". That would be a fit legacy for the idiot and the idiots who gave her the power to make us look so ridiculous.
Fluffy

Hermosa Beach, CA

#12 Jul 25, 2011
Seth Adams said: From now on when you see a big, steaming, rancid pile of dog poop on the lawn we can refer to it as a "Suja"

Genius.

This city has more important things to worry about: violent crime, swarms of illegals, rampant theft, blight, abandoned shopping carts, nasty beaches, ticket crazy cops, etc. etc.

However, it's easy to get into the habit of bringing your own bags into the grocery store. My own bags are far less hassle than those nasty plastic bags that rip. IMHO.

As a side observation, the illegal crowd will be hit the most heavily by the bag ban. They are the ones who don't have a clue about environmentalism.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#13 Jul 25, 2011
Seth Adams wrote:
Most people I know use the plastic bags are used to pick up dog poop.
From now on when you see a big, steaming, rancid pile of dog poop on the lawn we can refer to it as a "Suja". That would be a fit legacy for the idiot and the idiots who gave her the power to make us look so ridiculous.
Will she get the message? Probably not, she will just go running to her daddy and push a new law for lawn pick up and charge it to the city!
Sue Langston

Bellflower, CA

#14 Jul 26, 2011
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Will she get the message? Probably not, she will just go running to her daddy and push a new law for lawn pick up and charge it to the city!
What "message"? She is only a Long Beach Democrat. She serves at the pleasure of her Union Masters at the direct expense of everything and everyone else in Long Beach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Jul '17 easy with slots cash 7
News What is a painting worth? Rockwell director coo... Jul '17 Blind Willie McDill 1
News Retail armageddon: More bankruptcies in four mo... Jun '17 Zombies 1
News Why are there no black-owned grocery stores in ... May '17 watching livonia 36
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Apr '17 Dawn 109
News Amazon's Ultimatum to City of East Palo Alto: C... (Mar '17) Mar '17 dinerdash2001 1
News Warren Buffett Knows Something About Walmart (Feb '17) Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
More from around the web