Plan would charge fee for plastic gro...

Plan would charge fee for plastic grocery bags

There are 125 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 16, 2011, titled Plan would charge fee for plastic grocery bags. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

El Paso city staff this year will propose a fee for plastic grocery bags -- at least at big stores such as Walmart and Albertsons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
redrocket

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 17, 2011
Remember what I said when the oposotion to the Transmountain highway said it will hurt mountain biking? Well f! the evironment, El Paso doesn't have an environment!
Chip

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 17, 2011

Walmart the biggest polluter in El Paso with
neighborhoods and surroundings areas affected
by this store.

Just Fed Up

Seminole, FL

#4 Jan 17, 2011
More from our greedy city council. Are you serious, they want the cashiers to stand there and count how many plastic bags they use to sack your groceries? Then they better get stronger bags and stop double bagging. Are they going to charge for paper bags also? Hold on, that means you can't pay your bill until after everything is bagged and counted. Ask a council member just how many reusable bags you need to bring with you each time you shop, say for $150 in groceries. How about recycle the boxes the food is delivered to the store in for check out. What are they going to do if we refuse to pay the fees? Carry each item one at a time out to the car? That should tie up a few baggers for a while. How about put the groceries back into the cart, hook it to the trailer hitch on your car and tow your groceries home. Then the stores can hire additional staff to search the neighborhoods for their carts, but no bags used. Or charge say 5 cents per item purchased, that is for the cash register tape used. Here's one, charge us a fee to use our debit card as well as cash for the groceries...hum, then that would be like our local utilities charging us to pay our bills. JUST SAY NO MORE
Are you SERIOUS

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 17, 2011
This is the most idiotic proposition that I have heard of thus far. There is much more the city can do to clean up the streets than to impose a fee for plastic bags! What is that money going to be used for pray tell? Oh my gosh! You want a cleaner El Paso - this is not the way to do it.
_Arrrrrrr

AOL

#6 Jan 17, 2011
This is another bad habbit that mayor crook is importing from here in San Francisco, he wants to copy everything former mayor Gavin Newsome does.
Next you know El Paso he will start a compost law just to try to find ways to fine you and making money out of his scheme.
Yes you better believe he grocery clerks will charge for those extra plastic bags or even paper bags for that extra cash that will give la Joyce Wilso a $HUGE$ Christmas bonus.
Unbelievable

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 17, 2011
So 95% of the grocery shopping public should be penalized because of a few schmucks? No -- find another way. Stricter littering laws and tougher enforcement. Done.
WHAT A BUNCH OF RUBBISH

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 17, 2011
$850,000 a year to clean up plastic bags

WHY NOT LEAST THOSE BLUE AND GRAY TRASH CONTAINERS WITH THE MULTIPLY RUNS FOR THAT WASTE? WHY NOT PAY PEOPLE BACK 10 CENTS FOR BRING EACH SACK BACK TO THE STORE LIKE THE GOOD OLD GLASS SOFT DRINK BOTTLES. SEE HOW FAST THE TRASH WILL DISAPPEAR. MAKE THE HOMELESS SELF EMPLOYED. MILLIONAIRES CLUB.
tubafor

Scottsdale, AZ

#9 Jan 17, 2011
Its a bag tax ,very clearly and has been tried in other cities.Some like it San Francisco and some reject it like Seattle (enforced and voted out by public).A money grab for sure and has no impact other than puting money in the hands of irresponsible government.
24 Charlie 0 0

United States

#10 Jan 17, 2011
Once again, the city council has nothing better to worry about.

Since: Jan 11

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 17, 2011
Tax and spend economics. Are these ideas coming from a Jerry Brown handbook? Quit supporting Illegal Aliens in this city, bottom line.
twice

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 17, 2011
This is just another STORMWATER FEE!
bag boy

United States

#13 Jan 17, 2011
...so for each bag I pay a fee I can then through on the gpound and someone will be paid to pick it up?
Suzanne

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 17, 2011
The issue here people is not the plastic bags, but rather the people who do not dispose of them properly!! It's like the pet ordinance, pets are not causing the problem, the people of El Paso are. When is this City going to smarten up and realize its the people and its Mexican culture? This could be one of the nicest places in the Country to live but for its people who have no pride.

Since: Jan 08

currently DC metro area

#15 Jan 17, 2011
I am for this type of TAX in ELP. DC has a five cent charge per bag and they have greatly reduced the amount of plastic that goes into the community. The tax should be incorparated into all stores that provide plastic bags, not just the big brand stores. And while this would be a tax it clearly spreads the cost evenly across the board to all income levels.

I'd also like to see a nickle tax for every glass bottle that is sold in stores. Maybe then will the 12 pack empties stop appearing on the roadsides.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/dcs-nic...
whocares

United States

#16 Jan 17, 2011
I would rather see 100 plastic bags than 1 messy diaper - a common sight in El Paso parking lots. Using the 100-to-1 ratio, will City Council follow-up with a $10.00 levy on each new diaper purchased?

Since the election of Cook to Mayor and Lily-Byrd-Ortega-O'Rourke as Representatives they have gone a long way to changing the city from El Paso del Norte to El Paso del Stupid. If any one of these is ever elected again - to any office - the voters will have affirmed that new title.
John

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 17, 2011
The next thing they are going to do is charge you a TAX everytime you go into a store just to shop. Put that milk back!! did you pay the TAX to pick it up and put it in your shopping cart!!!THis will not stop the litter problem, mandatory re-cycling like they do in European countries would.People that are caught dumping in the desert illegially or littering should be fined $2,000 and jailed at the second offence, including the police.An incentive of $1000 should be paid to people that turn in people for illegial dumping in the desert. How to pay for it? reduce the salaries of all top city employees who spend all their time at Wal-Mart anyway, instead of being at WORK that they get paid to do by the Taxpayer, example , the Mayor and City Manager.
rational

Grand Blanc, MI

#18 Jan 17, 2011
El Paso's problem, or actually the city government's problem is they would place the tax revenues in the general fund. DC's tax goes directly to clean up the Anacostia river, nothing else. There is nothing specific I can think of in ELP that the money could be used for unless it is to pay someone to pick up bags in the desert. El Paso's biggest problem is total apathy towards any type of improvement. In the seventeen years I lived there, I saw nothing but steady decline. The sad thing is, there are people that care, plenty of people but true leadership is totally lacking.
in el paso

Arlington, VA

#19 Jan 17, 2011
this has been an effective measure in other cities like DC where the money is used to clean the Anacostia river. the fee there is 5 cents a bag. But this needs to be for every store or there will be a lawsuit for discrimination

Since: Jan 08

currently DC metro area

#20 Jan 17, 2011
rational wrote:
El Paso's problem, or actually the city government's problem is they would place the tax revenues in the general fund. DC's tax goes directly to clean up the Anacostia river, nothing else. There is nothing specific I can think of in ELP that the money could be used for unless it is to pay someone to pick up bags in the desert. El Paso's biggest problem is total apathy towards any type of improvement. In the seventeen years I lived there, I saw nothing but steady decline. The sad thing is, there are people that care, plenty of people but true leadership is totally lacking.
That is true the DC fund goes into the cleanup of Anacostia.
QuestionAuthorit y

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jan 17, 2011
Ridiculous.

Don't you recall

Reduce, REUSE, and recycle?

Plastic grocery bags are one of the most REUSED items purchased.

They constitute all of the litter bags, trashcan liners,
and doggie do bags in my house.

Plus even when they are disposed of,
they account for a tiny percentage of the total mass in landfill.

They are even a tiny percentage of the refuse produced by a trip
to the grocery store.

With a focus on such irrelevant issues,
no wonder this country is declining.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wal-Mart may re-examine Vallejo store (Feb '08) Jul 22 J lengua T toona 28
News To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christ... (Jun '09) Jul 18 Sam 92
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... Jul 14 Hillary liar liar 110
News Opinions divided, politely, over gay pride marc... Jul 5 Logic Analysis 5
News 'A danger to wives and daughters': Petition to ... Apr '16 Mayor 12
News Wal-Mart opening slated for late summer Apr '16 Elmer 17
News Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... (Aug '14) Jan '16 tricky 13
More from around the web