Ruben Rosario: Flak aside, English-only bill is still pure pandering

'Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Osceola, WI

#1 Jan 23, 2011
Ruben, pick a country, then move to it.
Just the Facts

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jan 23, 2011
English only bills panders to bigoted monolinguistic AmeriKKKans.
Archie from Coon Rapids

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 23, 2011
About time English only becomes law,

It was President Reagan that put the end to the commie pleasing Metric America scam from democrats, that wanted America to take the commie measurements to accomodate the lefts Ideas.
Tooner

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jan 23, 2011
I want all materials in Norwegian too!

Since: Feb 08

Dubuque, IA

#5 Jan 23, 2011
Perhaps one man's pandering is another man's idea of representing his constituents? And maybe another man's idea of pandering is one man writing about it to appeal to his liberal reader base?

I'm not at all familiar with Rep Drazkowski, but I know Reuben Rosario can do better.
Honest

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 23, 2011
"English only" is just a politically correct way to be a bigot.

This hatred and not so subtle bigotry has to stop.

We are a country of immigrants. Languages and cultures blend and grow adding to the the culture.
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

#7 Jan 23, 2011
If Rosario had his way air traffic controlers and pilots would be able to speak in any language they choose. Which means air traffic control would have to spend millions and millions on 30 or 40 interpreters in every single control room. Then of course airplanes would be full because of the free-flying interpreters. The alternative would be to have planes falling from the sky like snow in a Minnesota winter. In short, how can you contribute to a society, become educated, have a quality job and support a family if you can't communicate? There are reasons so many countries, unlike ours, have an official language, they've figured it out. While here we're to buried in PC to do the right thing.

Since: Jan 11

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 23, 2011
thissucks wrote:
If Rosario had his way air traffic controlers and pilots would be able to speak in any language they choose. Which means air traffic control would have to spend millions and millions on 30 or 40 interpreters in every single control room. Then of course airplanes would be full because of the free-flying interpreters. The alternative would be to have planes falling from the sky like snow in a Minnesota winter. In short, how can you contribute to a society, become educated, have a quality job and support a family if you can't communicate? There are reasons so many countries, unlike ours, have an official language, they've figured it out. While here we're to buried in PC to do the right thing.
You have clearly hit the nail on the head.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#9 Jan 23, 2011
Flak aside, Ruben Rosario is still pure pandering.

Twin Cities

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Does "English Only" exclude Braille? If all the documents are to be printed in English only, will municipalities provide interpreters upon request?

Twin Cities

#11 Jan 23, 2011
thissucks wrote:
It's completely within the rights of an employer to hire only English-speaking employees, so I'm not entirely sure how your pilot/air traffic controller example fits in here. The government is not a private company, it's an entity that is supposed to be representative and inclusive of all Americans including ones who emigrated legally to the States, not just the ones who are native English speakers.

“Freedom and responsibility”

Since: Dec 10

St. Paul

#12 Jan 23, 2011
Yes, pandering to Americans this time. Kinda refreshing, I'd say.
Abbo

Salem, AR

#13 Jan 23, 2011
1) The so-called problem is a self-correcting one. First generation immigrants (like my grandparents and probably your too) usually have trouble learning English, but their children take to it quite readily, especially in today's information age.

2) If we are going to mandate English only, what will be the penaties for non-compliance?

3) And if we are going to mandate English only, why not go all the way and mandate CORRECT English--grammar, spelling and syntax? That, of course, would criminalize a sizable proportion of posters on this forum.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#14 Jan 23, 2011
ZenBirdist wrote:
Does "English Only" exclude Braille? If all the documents are to be printed in English only, will municipalities provide interpreters upon request?
Were they provided during the great exodus from Europe in the 1800's? What about traffic signs like "Bridge Out Ahead etc..?" Just sayin..
thissucks

Lakeville, MN

#15 Jan 23, 2011
ZenBirdist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's completely within the rights of an employer to hire only English-speaking employees, so I'm not entirely sure how your pilot/air traffic controller example fits in here. The government is not a private company, it's an entity that is supposed to be representative and inclusive of all Americans including ones who emigrated legally to the States, not just the ones who are native English speakers.
You missed my point completely. First of all, English is the official language of the airline industry, not just here, worldwide. If you take off from Paris and land in Bucharest all communications between the ground and sky will be in English. I chose it as an "example" because it helps illustrate how important communication is and how ridiculously ineffective and expensive it would be to have everyone trying to communicate in a different language. There are people that have been in this country for years and still don't speak English. Why? Apparently they're apathetic to the point they don't care. Why should they when we coddle them by providing literature, signs, "press 1 for English," and translaters. Good luck finding a job.

Twin Cities

#16 Jan 23, 2011
thissucks wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed my point completely. First of all, English is the official language of the airline industry, not just here, worldwide. If you take off from Paris and land in Bucharest all communications between the ground and sky will be in English.
I did not know that! Thank you for teaching me something there. I guess I did miss your point, then.
Abbo

Salem, AR

#17 Jan 23, 2011
Here are few facts that I think most folks don't know about public employee pensions:

1) Public employee unions in Minnesota have no say in pensions. Public employee pensions are set by state law and are not subject to labor negotiations.

2) Public employees contribute to their pension funds. While it varies a little, in most cases the employees pay between 4% and 5% of their gross pay into the pension fund and the employer pays a like amount.

3) Public employees also pay into FICA and Medicare at the exact same rate as everyone else (6.2%* for FICA and 1.45% for Medicare).

* Reduced to 4.2% for 2011 only in accordance with the recently enacted federal tax changes.
Abbo

Salem, AR

#18 Jan 23, 2011
Sorry. I mistakenly posted the above post here instead of in the thread about unions.

Twin Cities

#19 Jan 23, 2011
Klaatu barada nikto wrote:
<quoted text>
Were they provided during the great exodus from Europe in the 1800's? What about traffic signs like "Bridge Out Ahead etc..?" Just sayin..
Good morning, Klaatu. A lot of things have changed since the 1800's, thank goodness. I just don't like ordinances that are meant to be exclusionary, which this one feels to me. I fully understand not having multiple copies of state forms to accomodate languages, but in this modern age it's easy enough to print on demand. The goal for me would be to understand what the person is trying to say, not to penalize the person for not being able to express it to my state's satisfaction. Others have made good points here, better than mine.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#20 Jan 23, 2011
"Press 1 for English" is not going away no matter what law you want to pass. I have very few occasions to call government offices but when I call my insurance company, my utility companies, or just about any large private business, I'm greeted with that option.

These companies obviously find it profitable to deal with non-English speakers. They will continue to accommodate those customers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Burwell Speech Aims to Hit Reset Button at HHS Sep 9 I_SEE_the_ politi... 1
Milton's mayor poised to become the next Hazel ... Aug 28 Hazelwood 2 1
Show where food stampsa $80 billion is spent ea... Aug 28 Jaimie 4
Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... Aug 25 hydro rep mayor c... 1
Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... Aug 25 Day 1
First Edition: August 15, 2014 Aug 24 Hall 1
Wal-Mart decision leads to more questions over ... Aug 24 Hall 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Big Box Retailers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••