D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

There are 922 comments on the WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh story from Dec 3, 2013, titled D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage. In it, WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh reports that:

Once you're logged in, at the top of each article, video or slideshow you will see a list of your Facebook friends who recently visited Choose to share stories you'e read with your friends or turn sharing OFF to keep your reading experience anonymous .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#108 Dec 8, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, the double standard arises. Your income is off-limits. But you have the audacity to tell low-income workers they don't deserve $15/hour.
not a double standard at all. the wage i earn for my work is determined by the market, just as theirs is, and there is no way it is worth $15...it just isn't. when you can take someone off the street and train them to a job in 15 minutes, that is going to be a minimum wage job.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#109 Dec 8, 2013
Americans who are buying insurance plans over online exchanges, under what is known as Obamacare, will have limited access to some of the nation’s leading hospitals, including two world-renowned cancer centres.

Amid a drive by insurers to limit costs, the majority of insurance plans being sold on the new healthcare exchanges in New York, Texas, and California, for example, will not offer patients’ access to Memorial Sloan Kettering in Manhattan or MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, two top cancer centres, or Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, one of the top research and teaching hospitals in the country.
Gotaten

Ashburn, VA

#110 Dec 8, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, the double standard arises. Your income is off-limits. But you have the audacity to tell low-income workers they don't deserve $15/hour.
Oh? So they DESERVE $15/hour because they are low-income? They are the ones that suffer when minimum-wage rates are raised.
CTM

New Milford, CT

#111 Dec 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the middle class dying off is myth you got sucked onto due to your stupidity....
..........Really? You actually believe what you wrote? With most households having husband and wife working to just cover the bills and two weeks off. The days of Joan Cleaver are dead, no stay at home moms' anymore and what about student loans? Dad used to do his 40 hours, actually go somewhere for two weeks with the family and send two to three kids to college as well as pay off the house. Ever watch the news and hear the term "earning gap"?
CTM

New Milford, CT

#112 Dec 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not a double standard at all. the wage i earn for my work is determined by the market, just as theirs is, and there is no way it is worth $15...it just isn't. when you can take someone off the street and train them to a job in 15 minutes, that is going to be a minimum wage job.
..........Takes more time than that to actually learn how to make the food assembly line move smoothly, I did it. Why don't you talk to the mom raising two kids while working 50-60 hours a week at two part time jobs and still getting food stamps? You're sounding like your time is worth more than anyone elses.
CTM

New Milford, CT

#113 Dec 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what type of business do you own? how many employees?
..........That's not your business to know how I run mine. You want details and yet don't give anything out.
Joe

United States

#114 Dec 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not a double standard at all. the wage i earn for my work is determined by the market, just as theirs is, and there is no way it is worth $15...it just isn't. when you can take someone off the street and train them to a job in 15 minutes, that is going to be a minimum wage job.
That's a very subjective observation that a fast food workers labor isn't worth $15/hour. What is your occupation? After I learn it I will judge what your labor is worth.
Joe

United States

#115 Dec 8, 2013
Gotaten wrote:
<quoted text>Oh? So they DESERVE $15/hour because they are low-income? They are the ones that suffer when minimum-wage rates are raised.
How so? Low-income workers and businesses will benefit when the minimum wage is raised. People will have more buying power.
Chicopee

New Fairfield, CT

#116 Dec 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You're blinded by your own selfishness. I can't relate to you're lack of empathy. But no matter. Slowly the America of economic inequality you wish to preserve is eroding. One day a better America will go forward.
Going forward, eh? Isn't that what the Russians believed in 1917? How'd that work out? Or anywhere else it's ever been tried?
Chicopee

New Fairfield, CT

#117 Dec 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>funny how you so deftly dodged the facts i presented that you could not counter1 why is that?
why is it you didn't even discuss the fact that the 1% changes very rapidly? because it shoots down your bullshit theory?
wow1 you really lost that argument...any facts you have to try to regain any self respect you might mistakenly hang on to?
Not only does the 1% change constantly, so, historically, do those who live at poverty level. Upward mobility has been pretty constant, in spite of recent stagnation.
Chicopee

New Fairfield, CT

#118 Dec 9, 2013
CTM wrote:
<quoted text>..........Wondering where you get your numbers from and it would seem the franchise owner would also be on the payroll as a manager. So before profit he could be giving himself a 1 million $$ salary and the profit is what his holding company or shell, gets. This is the kind of accounting that always makes these people look broke. A paper justification to pay cheap wages. I think I was getting about 4.00 an hour forty years ago when cooking there. Inflation has been a bit tougher than that.
Only a franchise owner with a moron for an accountant would pay themselves a $1 million a year salary...but as a business owner, you already know all about that, right??

I got the numbers off of web sites that are trying to sell franchise opportunities for fast food and chain restaurants. Google. And assume the numbers are somewhat fluffed.

I was making $3.35 or $3.40 at Burger King a little over thirty years ago. So you must have been a manager to be making that kind of dough in 1973.

Being in a big hurry to move out of my parents house, I cashed my weekly check, peeled off about 60% of it every week and stuffed it in a drawer. I was the first of all my siblings to buy a car (1974 Camaro), and no sooner did I have a set of wheels, I decided to move out and get my own place.

The manufacturing job started at $4.45. With guaranteed overtime,(10 to 15 hours a week) I was barely able to pay my rent, which was $325 a month. Phone was $16, electric averaged $17 to $20. Cable was included and heat averaged about $80 a month during the winter. I ate a lot of pasta and brown bagged my lunch. But within 18 months, I was earning over $7.00 and still took the overtime. Easy street.

That same apartment today is $900 a month (Danbury, Ct). As in 1983, there's no way one could afford it on minimum wage, and it would be just as much of a stretch at 25% above minimum wage with 15 hours a week OT, with free cable, owning a car (no monthly payment-just insurance) and living within 5 miles of a job.

I'm not so sure that inflation has far outpaced minimum wage, after all. It was never a living wage, at least it wasn't here in Ct.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#119 Dec 9, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
Americans who are buying insurance plans over online exchanges, under what is known as Obamacare, will have limited access to some of the nation’s leading hospitals, including two world-renowned cancer centres.
Amid a drive by insurers to limit costs, the majority of insurance plans being sold on the new healthcare exchanges in New York, Texas, and California, for example, will not offer patients’ access to Memorial Sloan Kettering in Manhattan or MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, two top cancer centres, or Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, one of the top research and teaching hospitals in the country.
those hospitals are all in areas that Obama plans to have homes in after his 3rd term, and he wants them to be available on short notice, in case michelles athletes foot fungus flares up

Alpharetta, GA

#120 Dec 9, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a franchise owner with a moron for an accountant would pay themselves a $1 million a year salary...but as a business owner, you already know all about that, right??
I got the numbers off of web sites that are trying to sell franchise opportunities for fast food and chain restaurants. Google. And assume the numbers are somewhat fluffed.
I was making $3.35 or $3.40 at Burger King a little over thirty years ago. So you must have been a manager to be making that kind of dough in 1973.
Being in a big hurry to move out of my parents house, I cashed my weekly check, peeled off about 60% of it every week and stuffed it in a drawer. I was the first of all my siblings to buy a car (1974 Camaro), and no sooner did I have a set of wheels, I decided to move out and get my own place.
The manufacturing job started at $4.45. With guaranteed overtime,(10 to 15 hours a week) I was barely able to pay my rent, which was $325 a month. Phone was $16, electric averaged $17 to $20. Cable was included and heat averaged about $80 a month during the winter. I ate a lot of pasta and brown bagged my lunch. But within 18 months, I was earning over $7.00 and still took the overtime. Easy street.
That same apartment today is $900 a month (Danbury, Ct). As in 1983, there's no way one could afford it on minimum wage, and it would be just as much of a stretch at 25% above minimum wage with 15 hours a week OT, with free cable, owning a car (no monthly payment-just insurance) and living within 5 miles of a job.
I'm not so sure that inflation has far outpaced minimum wage, after all. It was never a living wage, at least it wasn't here in Ct.
my first job, summer of '65, the min wage was $1.25, but I was working 70 hours a week, doing manual labor, and I was clearing $80 a week, sometimes more. My first apt was $121 a month, brand new unit too. Whoppers were .39, and that included cheese too I think. In no time I worked my way up to $1.35 an hour. I was a rich man.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#122 Dec 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very subjective observation that a fast food workers labor isn't worth $15/hour. What is your occupation? After I learn it I will judge what your labor is worth.
Still spreading your stupidity to anyone who will listen eh Joe?
And still with the hand out. Given that your a proclaimed failed teacher, who has been unemployed for quite some time, your assessment of what someone time is worth is quite meaningless, given that you are unable to even take care of yourself. Sad!

Since: Jan 11

Hackettstown, NJ

#123 Dec 9, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
my first job, summer of '65, the min wage was $1.25, but I was working 70 hours a week, doing manual labor, and I was clearing $80 a week, sometimes more. My first apt was $121 a month, brand new unit too. Whoppers were .39, and that included cheese too I think. In no time I worked my way up to $1.35 an hour. I was a rich man.
My first job was busheling corn on a farm. I wasn't old enough to be employed anywhere else. High school jobs were stock boy at a department store, sales at Silo's, driving a dry cleaner's delivery truck.
Asking

Tucker, GA

#124 Dec 9, 2013
Wouldn't the cost of living just go up the same as it always has .
In order to pay higher wages you must raise the price of you product

Alpharetta, GA

#125 Dec 9, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
My first job was busheling corn on a farm. I wasn't old enough to be employed anywhere else. High school jobs were stock boy at a department store, sales at Silo's, driving a dry cleaner's delivery truck.
no overtime back then either...anybody bringing that up would have been eased out. If a young man can't do 60-70 hours of manual labor a week, at whatever the boss pays, he's not a man...he's probably a liberal.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#126 Dec 9, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
no, no it isn't at all! haven't you been listening? the market is what gives a job it's worth. when it takes 15 minutes to train someone for that job, it will not be worth much pay....
Joe

United States

#128 Dec 9, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>no overtime back then either...anybody bringing that up would have been eased out. If a young man can't do 60-70 hours of manual labor a week, at whatever the boss pays, he's not a man...he's probably a liberal.
Working over 40 hours a week and not receiving overtime pay is against the law.

Alpharetta, GA

#129 Dec 9, 2013
semper fi wrote:
11.50 an hour? Only a liberal fucktard thinks a person at an entry level job, no education or experience deserves this!
Why is it the people who have never owned or run a business are the one who get to decide what I pay someone?
libs mostly work in education, teachers, college professor types, or government, both biz that do not require a profit to stay in biz, so their knowledge is mostly book learning, not real life application. the thought of working long hours to build a biz, which sometimes includes not paying yourself when things are tight, are just not part of their book learning. Plus, remember what Obama said,'if you've got a biz, you didn't build that, somebody else made that happen'

said by a schmuck that has never worked at a for profit job in his entire affirmative action career.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pittsfield councilor wants Walmart impact study Dec 30 Cops are degenerates 1
News Facts shed light on the folly of hoarding bulbs... (Jun '11) Nov '16 Moonbeam 4
News Chambers Filled For Conyers' Appointment to Pit... Sep '16 Cops are degenerates 7
News Wal-Mart may re-examine Vallejo store (Feb '08) Jul '16 Walter 29
News To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christ... (Jun '09) Jul '16 Sam 92
News Target stock plummets as "transgender" bathroom... (May '16) Jul '16 Hillary liar liar 109
News Opinions divided, politely, over gay pride marc... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Logic Analysis 5
More from around the web