Walmart finally coming to Westerville | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

After a lawsuit in the past from other developers whose request to bring Walmart to Westerville were denied, the city opened its door to the retail chain tonight.
Comments
21 - 40 of 51 Comments Last updated Jul 8, 2011
HYPERGFORCE

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

Westerville trys to think there better than the rest of us.Well clowns take a good look now.Walmart in your stuck up faces.
daveh

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

daveh wrote:
<quoted text> Really? They pay minimum wage, if you want a job, there's a McDonald's on State St. that literally a five-minute walk away. The only real difference is you'd have to wear a paper hat. But the pay is exactly the same.
225 jobs, the vast majority of which are minimum wage. Whoopie.

And as far as the actual shopping experience is concerned, people will still have to go to the Walmart at Easton or the Walmart at Polaris if you want any Walmart food or pharmacy items. This is a midget Walmart, with far fewer selections on the shelves. This will be only 108,000 square feet, the vast majority of the Walmarts are 185,000 square feet.
FBO

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzomb ies in Ohio
Vncnz Kid

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

I think there should be a big Chinese Red flag in front of every Walmart along with a big "Albeit Mei Frei" signs above the entrance of this craphole which meant "work will set you free" the same signs that were at every gate of every nazi concentration camps during world war 2.
daveh

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

zEnzyte Bob ex-Paid Cust wrote:
"Some council members said their primary concern is making sure the store doesn't expand; Hadler tonight agreed to create a deed restriction that would forbid Walmart from expanding."
==========
LMAO!
Like Hadler can't remove the deed restriction if Walmart later decides to expand?
Precisely why is somebody from Missouri making incredibly silly statements about stuff, let alone city ordinances, that he knows absolutely nothing about. They can't simply remove a deed restriction any more than I can milk one of your cows by simply pressing the buttons on my keyboard.
The Mayans were wizards

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

Good bye Mom and Pop stores of Westerville. Your fate has been sealed and you will be out of business within one year of the Wal Mart opening. Good old Wal Mart.
Vncnz Kid

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

daveh wrote:
<quoted text> 225 jobs, the vast majority of which are minimum wage. Whoopie.
And as far as the actual shopping experience is concerned, people will still have to go to the Walmart at Easton or the Walmart at Polaris if you want any Walmart food or pharmacy items. This is a midget Walmart, with far fewer selections on the shelves. This will be only 108,000 square feet, the vast majority of the Walmarts are 185,000 square feet.
No ONE HAS to go to Walmart anywhere. Just because the city council got bought and paid for by these parasites no one is forced to waste their money on cheap Chinese crap there. If everyone that does not like walmart made a concious effort to boycott them and resist the temptation to go there for "convenience" I am sure if they looked they could find much better alternatives.
daveh

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

The Mayans were wizards wrote:
Good bye Mom and Pop stores of Westerville. Your fate has been sealed and you will be out of business within one year of the Wal Mart opening. Good old Wal Mart.
Be specific. Name these imaginary "Mom and Pop stores" in Westerville that will close because of this particular Walmart.
The Mayans were wizards

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

daveh wrote:
<quoted text> Be specific. Name these imaginary "Mom and Pop stores" in Westerville that will close because of this particular Walmart.
I am not a fortune teller, so I cannot predict the "exact" name of the Mom and Pop stores that will close. I do however deal with facts, and in almost every community a Wal Mart moves into, the small businesses always, always go out of business very soon after. This will happen in Westerville, I would bet anything on it, so in a sense I am a fortune teller.
The Mayans were wizards

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

Any little hardware store, yarn shop, craft shop, etc etc that is remotely close to a Wal Mart will be out of business very soon. Picture it in your mind like a Great White Shark eating a Goldfish, or Perch.
Vncnz Kid

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

Any little hardware store, yarn shop, craft shop, etc etc that is remotely close to a Wal Mart will be out of business very soon. Picture it in your mind like a Great White Shark eating a Goldfish, or Perch.
don't insult the great white shark!
daveh

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text>
I am not a fortune teller, so I cannot predict the "exact" name of the Mom and Pop stores that will close. I do however deal with facts, and in almost every community a Wal Mart moves into, the small businesses always, always go out of business very soon after. This will happen in Westerville, I would bet anything on it, so in a sense I am a fortune teller.
The reason you can't is because there are none. This Walmart will sell items for the most part only available in the far north area of Westerville, in Delaware County. It will have little competitive affect on the immediate surrounding area, because what the surrounding area sells has little in common with what this Walmart will sell.
Jessie

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

You posters are such idiots. You shop BigLots and talk about Walmart junk from China...LOL

This is the right thing to do. Westerville people would rather look at a empty building for years while somebody else does the work. These are the same idiots who refuse Bag of Nails BC alcohol..Get a life. Glad I dont live there..Fools
Joe

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

As for traffic increasing -- how so -- traffic sucks most anytime of the day in Westerville --
Alinsky

Maumee, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

JOBSLMFAO wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart creates a net loss of jobs in a town when they arrive. Plus local jobs go down the drain and are replaced with 8 dollar wally world jobs and all the profits leave the town. Sad day for the Ville.
Nice union propaganda line, but let's see the proof.
Lousy tenant lists

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

Hadler seems like a nice enough guy, but his modus operandi is to own semi rundown shopping centers and fill in the cracks with C-list tenants. He lucked out years ago when Weiland's Gourmet Market located in his Indianola center in Clintonville, which also had the VofA thirft store, a weird little gym and a funky pizza place. He slapped a new facade on the buildings and drew this crappy, low-class "dollar store" to fill the remaining space. What an uninspiring tenant. Talk about drawing the dregs of society, and they even wander into Weiland's on occasion. Fortunately, after seeing the prices, they do not return.

So watch out for any open spaces in the center after Walmart opens. Look for off-brand nail salons, discount cigarette stores and used compact disc shops. A Chinese buffet won't be far behind.

At the end of the day, you Westerville residents will be begging him to expand the Walmart...
JOBSLMFAO

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

Alinsky wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice union propaganda line, but let's see the proof.
Statistics have proved this for years. It is really not debatable.

http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/news/2011-01-11/ne...
JOBSLMFAO

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Townie

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

It'll be great for the retirees and our lower/mid income neighbors who are shopping out and about in ABUNDANCE in our area. Target or Whole Foods would be totally unsuitable for the income level here. For people using our streets to get to and fro to other sides of town who are complaining about potential tie-ups, you can find another way to your destination out of town. It'll be nice to be rid of the extra traffic, actually, if you do. We could walk down the street without you speeding past us. Most people who are complaining about it don't live up here. And to the person who wept nostalgic for the old Westerville, he must not remember Buckeye Mart and El-bee Shoes and the old Scott's store; all discount stores that did not put anyone out of business.
Parker

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

Judged:

Vncnz Kid wrote:
<quoted text>It would be better to develop this site as a toxic waste dump or a nuclear waste site than bring this POS company in.
How about a racetrack? They could build Cooper Park there!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Big Box Retailers Discussions

Search the Big Box Retailers Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Accused of Negligence, Wal-Mart Responds to Tra... Jul 20 UhHuh 1
Walmart store plan divides Ballston residents Jun '14 Bonnie 1
The Poor Shouldn't Have To Bear The Cost Of Sol... Jun '14 Alison Young 4
Southfield rejects plans for Walmart store (Feb '13) May '14 idjet 6
What Wal-Mart prefers to keep secret May '14 streamline means job loss 1
Chicago Approves Ban On Plastic Shopping Bags May '14 Guest 1
Day Worker Center celebrates first year Apr '14 John Colby 5
•••
•••