LETTER: Buying online to avoid sales tax costs us locally

While economists nationwide argue over whether we have begun to recover from the Great Recession, one financial reality is beyond dispute: our state, our county, and our town of Ukiah, continue to face the biggest budget challenge in decades. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Willits Guy

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Sep 1, 2010
We don't buy online to avoid taxes, we buy online to avoid the ridiculous prices locally. The tax break is just an extra benefit. About prices locally, as in California. When we left on vacation the price for gas in Willits at Safeway, the cheapest place in town was 3.069. we just bought gas for 2.459. it was probably produced in Richmond California. buy locally, yea right, only when we have to!
TB Sheets

Covelo, CA

#2 Sep 1, 2010
It pains me greatly to see tax dollars wasted ... day I can barter or buy online to avoid contributing to the deliquency of bureacrats is a good day

“Illegitimati non carborundum”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#3 Sep 1, 2010
Willits Guy wrote:
We don't buy online to avoid taxes, we buy online to avoid the ridiculous prices locally. The tax break is just an extra benefit. About prices locally, as in California. When we left on vacation the price for gas in Willits at Safeway, the cheapest place in town was 3.069. we just bought gas for 2.459. it was probably produced in Richmond California. buy locally, yea right, only when we have to!
couldn't have said it better myself.
Ncal

Waco, TX

#4 Sep 2, 2010
I owned a internet biz, in Ukiah & Willits for almost 5 years. That business employed 5 people at it's peak. I had many customers worldwide and within the US and CA. The prices and service kept it going for quite sometime. I was trumped by other larger companies who sold at a better price and that put a stop to my biz. What would be better, the taxes and wages paid by the employees?..or adding sales tax and having fewer employed people making a salary, paying income taxes,state & Fed, and buying items with their salary and paying sales tax on that end? I can tell you if ONLY CA enacts that tax, bye bye CA net biz and the thousands of employees. When you are buying a item, not a service, price in the ONLY thing. A DVD, TV, tires etc. are all the same, so why would you pay more?
the fearless spectator

Jackson St Forest, CA

#5 Sep 2, 2010
If ya ain't got it you can't sell it......I can order it....how many times you heard that? Profit is hugh on many ordinary retail items, some, not all merchants are just greedy, been gett'n away with it for years....online is just another tool in the box.
If local can get close, that's good, if not, to bad..... Trying to shame folks into buying what they don't really want at inflated prices is shameful in it's own self.
No bypass, No Gala, No lion meat...No Nothing....just the way thems want it.

“Alius bardus latin laudo”

Since: Nov 08

Jackson St Forest, CA

#6 Sep 2, 2010
And yet people keep on voting people in office that raise our taxes.

How much you want to bet that the people complaining about not buying local vote in the people that keep chasing business away.

I love the "Buy Local" stickers on Prius's that I see driving around.

Complain and vote in people that don't change the problem. What a great idea!!
August Rodin

Moraga, CA

#7 Sep 2, 2010
Why not get real wrote:
And yet people keep on voting people in office that raise our taxes.
How much you want to bet that the people complaining about not buying local vote in the people that keep chasing business away.
I love the "Buy Local" stickers on Prius's that I see driving around.
Complain and vote in people that don't change the problem. What a great idea!!
Exactly!

I'll buy from any legal source I choose to. Taxation is a death warrant for an economy. Don't believe it? Just look at California's economy, it's a prime example.

Vote out the Tax & Spend people.
taxes

Groveland, CA

#8 Sep 2, 2010
the reason you and me (regular everyday lower and middle-class people) pay high sales taxes and fees is because the very rich at the top and the international cartels and corporations are getting away with paying far less taxes in America than they pay in any other 1st world country, or than they historically paid in America. Or, like Exxon, they pay no U.S. taxes at all. While America spends trillions on "wars," the rich keep getting richer-those at the very top have a greater share of the wealth today than ever before. And the Republican politicians use propaganda to get you little people all riled up about "no new taxes," then you vote for people like Bush and Reagan whose policies cut taxes for the very rich and actually raised the cost of living for the lower and middle classes. You won't believe me when I say that in the good old patriotic 1950s, the tax rate was 91 percent for any income over $400,000, but it's true.(maybe $3.5 million in today's money). Google "historical tax rates," you'll see. As Warren Buffet says, it's not fair that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.

“Alius bardus latin laudo”

Since: Nov 08

Jackson St Forest, CA

#9 Sep 3, 2010
taxes wrote:
the reason you and me (regular everyday lower and middle-class people) pay high sales taxes and fees is because the very rich at the top and the international cartels and corporations are getting away with paying far less taxes in America than they pay in any other 1st world country, or than they historically paid in America. Or, like Exxon, they pay no U.S. taxes at all. While America spends trillions on "wars," the rich keep getting richer-those at the very top have a greater share of the wealth today than ever before. And the Republican politicians use propaganda to get you little people all riled up about "no new taxes," then you vote for people like Bush and Reagan whose policies cut taxes for the very rich and actually raised the cost of living for the lower and middle classes. You won't believe me when I say that in the good old patriotic 1950s, the tax rate was 91 percent for any income over $400,000, but it's true.(maybe $3.5 million in today's money). Google "historical tax rates," you'll see. As Warren Buffet says, it's not fair that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.
As far as Exxon not paying taxes, you are wrong. You look at their 2009 10-k and it does say that they haven't paid any taxes. But if you actually use your brain and understand how a business works, their 2009 10-k won't show their taxes because of their accounting system.

A big business doen't pay taxes as it earns income as we do on our paycheck. They pay after the year is over, unless they decide to make quarterly payments which don't have to be reported. As the 2009 10-k reports what was paid in 2009. The tax bill will accuatly be paid in 2010. It isn't a 2009 expense. And furthermore, they are not required to report taxes paid.

Examine the year 2008 they paid a total of $116.2 billion in taxes. Yup, they paid alright.

Don't just read a few wacko left wing news reports and assume it is the truth. Try actually doing a little research.

SO your argument is for the big business to pay more in taxes. Hmmm, OK, where do big business get their money? From us you say? When we buy their product you say? Oh, I wonder where they will get the money to pay those higher taxes? Oh, from us.

When the idiots are yelling to raise taxes on the rich, you are begging to pay more taxes through increased product prices.

“Alius bardus latin laudo”

Since: Nov 08

Jackson St Forest, CA

#10 Sep 3, 2010
taxes wrote:
the reason you and me (regular everyday lower and middle-class people) pay high sales taxes and fees is because the very rich at the top and the international cartels and corporations are getting away with paying far less taxes in America than they pay in any other 1st world country, or than they historically paid in America. Or, like Exxon, they pay no U.S. taxes at all. While America spends trillions on "wars," the rich keep getting richer-those at the very top have a greater share of the wealth today than ever before. And the Republican politicians use propaganda to get you little people all riled up about "no new taxes," then you vote for people like Bush and Reagan whose policies cut taxes for the very rich and actually raised the cost of living for the lower and middle classes. You won't believe me when I say that in the good old patriotic 1950s, the tax rate was 91 percent for any income over $400,000, but it's true.(maybe $3.5 million in today's money). Google "historical tax rates," you'll see. As Warren Buffet says, it's not fair that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.
Oh, and sometimes Warren Buffet is an idiot. You have the option to use those very same tax breaks. I make a good living. I get paid well. Some of my co-workers, who get paid the same, spend their money on new cars, boats and houses. I save my money. Since I save my money I am earning money through my investments. I make more than my co-workers because I save and invest.

They pay more taxes as a percentage of their income than I do. Am I at fault for investing my money and deciding not to blow it on toys? I make more and find ways to save my money, is that wrong? I make more than my co-workers and pay less taxes as a percentage of my income because I save and invest. Shouldn't I be rewarded for handeling my money wisely?

Why should I be penalized through taxes for saving my money and investing it instead of blowing it on toys? My co-workers have the exact same choices as me. I make different decisions.
Auguste Rodin

Moraga, CA

#11 Sep 3, 2010
taxes wrote:
the reason you and me (regular everyday lower and middle-class people) pay high sales taxes and fees is because the very rich at the top and the international cartels and corporations are getting away with paying far less taxes in America than they pay in any other 1st world country, or than they historically paid in America. Or, like Exxon, they pay no U.S. taxes at all. While America spends trillions on "wars," the rich keep getting richer-those at the very top have a greater share of the wealth today than ever before. And the Republican politicians use propaganda to get you little people all riled up about "no new taxes," then you vote for people like Bush and Reagan whose policies cut taxes for the very rich and actually raised the cost of living for the lower and middle classes. You won't believe me when I say that in the good old patriotic 1950s, the tax rate was 91 percent for any income over $400,000, but it's true.(maybe $3.5 million in today's money). Google "historical tax rates," you'll see. As Warren Buffet says, it's not fair that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.
Warren Buffet makes numerous comments about how things should be, all the while making billions off the way things are. I'll listen to him when he stops being a hypocrite.

You leftwing people really need to stop focusing on one party and instead take a look at the entire political system. Your bias is what's hurting this country. ALL politicians should be held accountable. Raising taxes on one segment of the population is unfair, anti-Constitution, and bad for all of us. Sooner or later, we all pay one way or another. That's the truth. Nobody can hide from taxes, we are taxed on everything. It's outrageous. THAT is what matters, and both parties are guilty.

Your post is indicative of the endless drone of leftwing propoganda that hasn't changed in at least 60 years. Time for you lefties to get a new mantra and move along.
OBAMAISMUSLIM

United States

#12 Sep 3, 2010
taxes wrote:
the reason you and me (regular everyday lower and middle-class people) pay high sales taxes and fees is because the very rich at the top and the international cartels and corporations are getting away with paying far less taxes in America than they pay in any other 1st world country, or than they historically paid in America. Or, like Exxon, they pay no U.S. taxes at all. While America spends trillions on "wars," the rich keep getting richer-those at the very top have a greater share of the wealth today than ever before. And the Republican politicians use propaganda to get you little people all riled up about "no new taxes," then you vote for people like Bush and Reagan whose policies cut taxes for the very rich and actually raised the cost of living for the lower and middle classes. You won't believe me when I say that in the good old patriotic 1950s, the tax rate was 91 percent for any income over $400,000, but it's true.(maybe $3.5 million in today's money). Google "historical tax rates," you'll see. As Warren Buffet says, it's not fair that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.
You and Warren have my permission to pay all the additional tax you desire. Your puppet in the White House will do your bidding as he has already raised taxes with his 'Osama Care' phony health care law. Taxes are the tool by which the rulers steal wealth from those who have it and redistribute that wealth as they desire.It is the duty of every patriotic American to avoid paying taxes. You and your kind can pay your taxes and you can pay extra. Are you one of those fools who drive around with an 'Osama' bumper sticker on your Prius? Who would be so stupid as to 'buy locally' and pay more taxes so that the Stupidvisors can have more money to redistribute to buy votes? If a business cannot survive that business should close their doors. I do not want to subsidise a business with my money called 'sales tax'. Their are tremendous advantages to shopping online including greater selection, lower price and NO SALES TAX.We The People may not be able to change the idiots in Sacramento and in Ukiah[BOS] but we can do all we can to deny them even one penny of our money by buying online whenever possible.I encourage everyone who opposes the regime in power to vote your disapproval by buying online whenever possible. go to www.infowars.com
Nothanks dave

United States

#13 Sep 3, 2010
What business does Dave Smith represent? Does anyone know? Dave are willing to name your business? I will be sure to avoid doing business with Dave.
Fed-Up

Tracy, CA

#14 Sep 3, 2010
If California wasn't so anti-business, we would have a tax base. Also the environmentalists have this state so tied up, business can't do anything here. Stop supporting the illegals. We wonder why we're broke?
DEE

United States

#15 Sep 3, 2010
Not shopping locally and doing so online has nothing to due with the taxes...it has to do with not spending 3 hours driving around looking for 1 item or having such narrow business hours I could never get there to just see if they have the item.
funny that prices

Groveland, CA

#16 Sep 3, 2010
if higher taxes mean higher prices, it's odd, isn't it, that the cost of living was so much lower in the 1950s, when the taxes on those at the top were so much higher.

Odd that a middle-class family could get by so well, with just 1 adult income, when those at the top were paying 91 percent of anything over $400,000 a year in taxes. but I suppose, just like I said originally, those in this thread don't believe the historical tax rates either, probably think it's just more "left-wing propaganda."
Forbes magazine

Groveland, CA

#17 Sep 3, 2010
oh yes, I forgot to mention, it was in Forbes magazine that I read about Exxon paying no income taxes in the U.S., although it paid plenty in other countries. maybe I misread the article, maybe Forbes was wrong, but I wouldn't call it "left wing propaganda," although maybe some do.

“Alius bardus latin laudo”

Since: Nov 08

Jackson St Forest, CA

#18 Sep 4, 2010
funny that prices wrote:
if higher taxes mean higher prices, it's odd, isn't it, that the cost of living was so much lower in the 1950s, when the taxes on those at the top were so much higher.
Odd that a middle-class family could get by so well, with just 1 adult income, when those at the top were paying 91 percent of anything over $400,000 a year in taxes. but I suppose, just like I said originally, those in this thread don't believe the historical tax rates either, probably think it's just more "left-wing propaganda."
So your argument is that higher taxes lower prices?
the fearless spectator

Jackson St Forest, CA

#19 Sep 4, 2010
Taxes Smaxes........I'm into personal freedom, in Willits the "Local First" bunch try to shame the lame into buy'n stuff they don't want and will never use...just cause it supports the local drummers and do gooders......If the tax money collect was wisely spent citizens would have respect for the process and maybe average folks would be more supportive. The process now supports meaning less studies,(the nixed bypass) a recent example, over paid and incompetent City, County, State and Federal employees (the nixed bypass) a recent example, and "Feel good projects"/paybacks for political favoring..........the nixed bypass) a recent example.
I'm into the best deal for me and mine, this bitching about an uneven market place is just that...bitching......the smart and strong survive, the rest should shut up and get out of the game.
I got no control over these high and mighty types Exxon, blah, blah ,blah.....but I sure as hell do over where and what I spend on my personal stuff.......
not my argument

Sunol, CA

#20 Sep 4, 2010
not my argument, but yours: you said if those at the top pay higher taxes, it would mean higher prices.
My point was simply this, and I will repeat it again: hmmm, odd then that during the 1950s when taxes for those at the top were astronomically high by today's scale, the middle class had such a lower cost of living (yes I'm accounting for inflation) than they do today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Box Retailers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 things: Wal-Mart battle still waging in McCan... Oct 16 Sheeple 1
Burwell Speech Aims to Hit Reset Button at HHS Oct 2 duh 4
Milton Mayor Gord Krantz poised to become the n... Sep '14 e voting machines eh 2
Milton's mayor poised to become the next Hazel ... Aug '14 Hazelwood 2 1
Show where food stampsa $80 billion is spent ea... Aug '14 Jaimie 4
Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... Aug '14 hydro rep mayor c... 1
First Edition: August 15, 2014 Aug '14 Hall 1

Big Box Retailers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE