Standing up for Glen Cove

Standing up for Glen Cove

There are 51 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Sep 19, 2010, titled Standing up for Glen Cove. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

An open letter to Vallejo Mayor Osby Davis: I am an older person standing up for something I believe in.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

qwerty

Bethel Island, CA

#21 Sep 21, 2010
The area is not a burial ground, it is a shell mound, a midden, a trash heap. It has been excavated, check with the UC Berkeley anthropology department.. Now, I, as a Mikmaq, think that sacred native sites should be respected but a midden was never a sacred site, just a place to throw out the trash.
Apple

United States

#22 Sep 21, 2010
qwerty wrote:
The area is not a burial ground, it is a shell mound, a midden, a trash heap. It has been excavated, check with the UC Berkeley anthropology department.. Now, I, as a Mikmaq, think that sacred native sites should be respected but a midden was never a sacred site, just a place to throw out the trash.
Go back to Maine. Its a California thing son.
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#23 Sep 21, 2010
Apple, i'm not only native califorian but a native vallejoan. qwerty is correct. i don't know where you are in the universe, your isp says fremont, but anyone is entitled to an opinion. most of the people blogging here are not from vallejo and are unfamiliar with the history of the area and the project. that doesn't stop them. at least qwerty has the facts correct about what the site was.
fourth generation vallejo

United States

#24 Sep 21, 2010
vjonative2 wrote:
Apple, i'm not only native califorian but a native vallejoan. qwerty is correct. i don't know where you are in the universe, your isp says fremont, but anyone is entitled to an opinion. most of the people blogging here are not from vallejo and are unfamiliar with the history of the area and the project. that doesn't stop them. at least qwerty has the facts correct about what the site was.
Qwerty knows what Im saying.
GEE

Palo Alto, CA

#25 Sep 21, 2010
qwerty wrote:
The area is not a burial ground, it is a shell mound, a midden, a trash heap. It has been excavated, check with the UC Berkeley anthropology department.. Now, I, as a Mikmaq, think that sacred native sites should be respected but a midden was never a sacred site, just a place to throw out the trash.
As an involved Vallejo/Glen Cove resident and being fairly knowledgeable about this issue, I have to say this is the best comment I have heard in a long time.
I fully agree with anyone who opines that sacred sites have to be respected, may they hold Native American remains or any other human remains.

Did any of the parties involved and who attended meetings for years over this contentious issue want a unisex bathroom? No. I did not see the need for one either until I participated in the annual area clean ups!!!!

However, the then unfortunate condition of the area made it perfectly clear that in order for the area to be preserved and dignified, as well as becoming a place that would honor those that were before us, a relief station had to be included! We simply can not ignore those who legitimately visit and/or pass through this area and not provide a single stall facility, because if we do not, they most certainly will go without.

This park,(it will have a new name once it is completed), will be an asset to the Native American community as well as those interested enough to come and observe respectfully.…a far cry from the disrespect shown at other locations, i.e. Emeryville for instance, who simply paved over the “shell mounds” and named a street after the site.

qwerty

Berkeley, CA

#26 Sep 21, 2010
fourth generation vallejo wrote:
<quoted text>Qwerty knows what Im saying.
Yep, sure do. Born in Oakland, grew up in Vallejo. Maine is too cold in the winter and there are all those darned trash mounds that my ancestors left all over the place. For a group of people who are supposed to have respected the Earth, my ancestors sure left a lot of trash mounds around...Emeryville, Glen Cove, Maine, Virginia, Massachusetts, Oregon..all over the place...
Vallejo Voter

Vallejo, CA

#27 Sep 21, 2010
interesting comments. first off, the glen cove waterfront entrance would be off of a residential cul de sac; there are no bathrooms. If you want to hike 2 miles to the Benicia State Park at the end of its paved road, there are bathrooms. I would prefer no bathrooms or parking lot. Talking to GVRD about that myself; I'm only one voice; but trying to find out why the park cannot be left rugged. Re: the shell mound, the area which is the most controversial, is the land immediately in front of the mansion. It will not be paved over. The land where the paving and building will occur is right next to the townhomes at the end of the cul de sac. Part of the removed soil from the building of the parking lot will be spread over the land immediately in front of the mansion, the shell mound, from which all the artifacts were removed decades ago. The spreading of 1 or 2 feet of soil, however, is a means to preserve what is there. If you are going to argue for a position, at least get the information right.
trail hiker

Sunnyvale, CA

#28 Sep 21, 2010
I walk these trails every week. I hate to see anything paved over. It's breathtaking the way it is. Lots of different birds and shrubs, that will all be gone once a park is built with people littering and yes, the noise. Goodbye tranquility in Glen Cove.
Jim

Vallejo, CA

#29 Sep 22, 2010
I hope my winged friends will find the "home improvement" to their liking.

Most of these pictures were shot at this very park:

http://www.pbase.com/jimsar/birds
I agree

Vacaville, CA

#30 Sep 22, 2010
Thats the VIB mentality coming from people like GVRD board member Liat Meitzenheimer who could have tried many times over to influence GVRD head Shane Mc Affee to not desecrate this sacred land. Leave it alone and use the money to open up a pool.
No clue on what to do, just squander the money for the hell of it.
Facts not Rumors

United States

#31 Sep 22, 2010
The decision was made and voted on by the entire Board, not one person. This was after a lengthy public process. Those decisions are made for the benefit of the entire city, not just a few.
Bea Ivey

Vallejo, CA

#32 Sep 22, 2010
I agree wrote:
Thats the VIB mentality coming from people like GVRD board member Liat Meitzenheimer who could have tried many times over to influence GVRD head Shane Mc Affee to not desecrate this sacred land. Leave it alone and use the money to open up a pool.
No clue on what to do, just squander the money for the hell of it.
What's the VIB mentality? This decision was made long before there was a VIB.
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#33 Sep 22, 2010
some people don't pay attention to facts. they operate on rumor and innuendo. their goal is not to bring good things to our community but to destroy individuals. obviously there are posters on this thread who have a vendetta against liat meitzenheimer. she is an excellent citizen and has been involved in numerous projects over many years. there are apparently people who are jealous of her accomplishments and post nasty comments in an attempt to discredit her. for those people facts are irrelevant. they are the dividers. the do-nothings. the losers. the cowards.
test

Benicia, CA

#34 Sep 22, 2010
test
Volunteer Now

Vallejo, CA

#35 Sep 22, 2010
Facts Not Rumors wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you knew your history and facts before you started spouting off on issues then you wouldn't now need to ask for proof. You can start by checking with the Vallejo Naval Museum on the Facts and Summary of Glen Cove and the book History of Solano County & Biography of it's Early Settlers.
Facts Not Rumors: I am interested. Please provide citations, not just nouns.
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#36 Sep 22, 2010
Vallejo Volunteer, i don't understand your post. i read facts not rumors post several times. the only thing i can figure out is that you expect that poster to do your research for you. maybe i'm just not getting it. if you would, please explain.
Volunteer Now

Vallejo, CA

#37 Sep 25, 2010
vjonative2 wrote:
Vallejo Volunteer, i don't understand your post. i read facts not rumors post several times. the only thing i can figure out is that you expect that poster to do your research for you. maybe i'm just not getting it. if you would, please explain.and "You can start by checking with the Vallejo Naval Museum on the Facts and Summary of Glen Cove and the book History of Solano County & Biography of it's Early Settlers."
See, I was asking you to explain your point, not just tell someone to visit a museum or read two publications. What would they learn there? You seem to have something to say, but instead of saying it, you seem to use some nouns that sound authoritative, but, who knows? It is related to those who use the tired old, Vallejo native saw. M.G. Vallejo was very interested in outside ideas.
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#38 Sep 25, 2010
Volunteer Now, You have run two posts together. I didn't post the last sentence in your quote, someone posting as Facts not Rumors did. I thought both of us made our points clear but I can't speak for them. I don't know what "authoritative sounding nouns" are but I'm willing to learn. Trust me, I definately don't use the tired old Vallejo native saw and don't like people who do. I very much embrace "newbies". My parents were not native Vallejoans but contributed greatly to their adopted city. I'm more about what you've contributed, not how long you've lived here.
Volunteer Now

Vallejo, CA

#39 Sep 25, 2010
vjonative2 wrote:
Volunteer Now, You have run two posts together. I didn't post the last sentence in your quote, someone posting as Facts not Rumors did. I thought both of us made our points clear but I can't speak for them. I don't know what "authoritative sounding nouns" are but I'm willing to learn. Trust me, I definately don't use the tired old Vallejo native saw and don't like people who do. I very much embrace "newbies". My parents were not native Vallejoans but contributed greatly to their adopted city. I'm more about what you've contributed, not how long you've lived here.
Wow, to paraphrase a famous president, "there you go again..."
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#40 Sep 25, 2010
are you trying to be unclear or just annoying? or both?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Activism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News We won't make laws to promote gay rights - Speaker Wed Ex Senator Santpo... 4
News Same-sex Winnipeg couple won't quit fight to ha... Feb 18 Gay davey 4
News Records: Washington officials gave activist's i... Feb 17 Genese 1
News Records: Washington officials gave activist's i... Feb 17 spytheweb 2
News Records: Washington officials gave activist's i... Feb 17 tomin cali 1
News A well-deserved victory Feb 17 Green Party better 1
News Money is the driving force (Sep '10) Feb 14 Follow The Money 11
More from around the web