Standing up for Glen Cove

Standing up for Glen Cove

There are 51 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Sep 19, 2010, titled Standing up for Glen Cove. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

An open letter to Vallejo Mayor Osby Davis: I am an older person standing up for something I believe in.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Knowname

United States

#1 Sep 19, 2010
Thank you Doug,

Aho
Glen Cove Residents

Sunnyvale, CA

#2 Sep 20, 2010
We don't a parking lot or a bathroom or park filled boomboxes and pitbulls, there either, Doug!

Leave Glen Cove alone.
Vallejo Voter

Vallejo, CA

#3 Sep 20, 2010
Mr. Reid, my understanding is that the "shell mound" is not a burial grounds of remains, but artifacts, and is located in the area in front of the currently standing Stremmel mansion, which was built at the turn of the 20th century. The mansion will be torn down; it is a health and safety hazard. The area in front of the mansion will not be altered but for the removal of non-native plants. My understanding is that the GVRD, which now controls the land, not the city, will not be paving over the land which currently sits in front of the mansion. There is already a graveled road in front of this land, and a short path to the beach. The path and steps to the beach will be upgraded only; primarily for safety reasons. The parking lot and bathrooms which you write about will be built in a completely different area, right off of the public street/cul de sac, immediately adjacent to the townhomes built in 2005, which is not a burial ground or "shell mound."
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#4 Sep 20, 2010
thank you, vallejo voter. you have the facts right.
there are a couple of things that mr. reid asserted that i would like to address.
"...probably thousands of buried bodies to be dug up..." there are no bodies! anything that had any significance at all was removed a hundred years ago. they reside in a university warehouse.
"...all trails are natural..." that area has been dug up, major amounts of earth moved from one area to another, non-native plants have been introduced and then naturalized. they have only become "natural" by being naturalized.
"...allowing a sacred burial site to be used for income producing motive..." what would that be? there is no income feom this project. what are you referring to?
Glen Cove Residents

United States

#5 Sep 20, 2010
Vallejo Voter wrote:
Mr. Reid, my understanding is that the "shell mound" is not a burial grounds of remains, but artifacts, and is located in the area in front of the currently standing Stremmel mansion, which was built at the turn of the 20th century. The mansion will be torn down; it is a health and safety hazard. The area in front of the mansion will not be altered but for the removal of non-native plants. My understanding is that the GVRD, which now controls the land, not the city, will not be paving over the land which currently sits in front of the mansion. There is already a graveled road in front of this land, and a short path to the beach. The path and steps to the beach will be upgraded only; primarily for safety reasons. The parking lot and bathrooms which you write about will be built in a completely different area, right off of the public street/cul de sac, immediately adjacent to the townhomes built in 2005, which is not a burial ground or "shell mound."
It's not a health hazard. BS! This needs to be taken up with the voters of Glen Cove! We e do NOT WANT a park inviting thugs from South Vallejo!
vjonative2

Vacaville, CA

#6 Sep 20, 2010
if the "thugs" from south vallejo want to invade your park, do you really think not having a bathroom is going to stop them? the type of person you are concerned with doesn't really care about those kinds of things. a bush will work just fine. the voters of glen cove have had numerous opportunities to speak to this issue. in fact, during the time that this issue has been before g.v.r.d., two board members have lived in glen cove. maybe you just moved there last week and weren't aware of that.
Vallejo Voter

Vallejo, CA

#7 Sep 20, 2010
Glen Cove Residents:
I reside in Glen Cove; the plan for this area has been "on the books" since the 1980s. GVRD purchased the land in 1983, and it has been zoned for a waterfront park since that time. GVRD is its own district, and is not the city. The park is not restricted to Glen Cove residents, but anyone, regardless of where they live. I have used this park for years, it is actively used by all ages of people, from all over Vallejo, Benicia, and other cities if they learn how to get there. You'll have to figure out a way to get the issue on a ballot for the citizens of Vallejo to vote on an issue; since the GVRD controls the land, not sure that can happen. The mansion has been closed off for years, the paint is lead paint, it is so old, pieces of the exterior of the house continually fall off; all entrances to the interior have been closed off more likely than not because if you walked on the interior floors you may fall through. No upkeep on a building that is 100 years old, and you claim no safety hazard? My opinion is to either do something to secure the mansion or tear it down and then leave everything else alone.I would prefer no paved parking lot or anything to change the rustic condition. The GVRD master plan was resubmitted in 2007 and has been available to the public since that time, with periods for public input, etc. If you and others want to fight the plan, go for it; but don't call this a Glen Cove park only or somehow that this land can be used in any to exclude anyone. That will never happen
no park

Sunnyvale, CA

#8 Sep 20, 2010
I live in Glen Cove as well. And no, I don't want the land to be disturb, either. Respect the burial ground.

Vallejo Voter, would you approve of someone razing Auschwitz to build a park over it? Mind you genocide happened in Vallejo, when the Indians were massacred! And you approve of further disrespecting an ethnicity group. Shame on you!
ghost opinion

Mountain View, CA

#9 Sep 20, 2010
Paranormal groups would love Glen cove. It is haunted at various places, even in the new houses. There used to be an old brothel where the elementary school now stands.
East Vallejo Castaway

Vallejo, CA

#10 Sep 20, 2010
ghost opinion wrote:
Paranormal groups would love Glen cove. It is haunted at various places, even in the new houses. There used to be an old brothel where the elementary school now stands.
We used to ride our bikes out there before any home development, and yes there were some scary stories about the area then. I remember the "brothel"(we called it by the appropriate slang term) on the left side of the original road going to the beach.
libertyliz

Foster City, CA

#11 Sep 20, 2010
ghost opinion wrote:
Yes, you are right.
Facts not Rumors

Vacaville, CA

#12 Sep 20, 2010
Did you know that this land was parceled off with roads and lots in 1903? Or that the excavations of the archaeological artifacts was done in 1912? Or that one of the first structures existed where the Stremmel house is now? There was also a fruit orchard that covered what was then called Cypress Hill. Now do you think that all of this happened without "digging up the earth"? There are no bones or bodies where the small parking lot or bathrooms are going. All of the artifacts have been dig up almost a hundred years ago. It does not help your cause by spreading lies. Be honest in your facts and your credibility will improve. There is a recent Historical Resource Evaluation done of the Stremmel mansion which will open your eyes. I suggest you read it.
vtown

Mountain View, CA

#13 Sep 21, 2010
Facts not Rumors wrote:
Did you know that this land was parceled off with roads and lots in 1903? Or that the excavations of the archaeological artifacts was done in 1912? Or that one of the first structures existed where the Stremmel house is now? There was also a fruit orchard that covered what was then called Cypress Hill. Now do you think that all of this happened without "digging up the earth"? There are no bones or bodies where the small parking lot or bathrooms are going. All of the artifacts have been dig up almost a hundred years ago. It does not help your cause by spreading lies. Be honest in your facts and your credibility will improve. There is a recent Historical Resource Evaluation done of the Stremmel mansion which will open your eyes. I suggest you read it.
Where is your proof? Got that check in the mail from GVRD yet?
Completely Bogus

Vacaville, CA

#14 Sep 21, 2010
vtown wrote:
<quoted text>
So now the Inter-tribal is saying that GVRD is paying people off? Is that really what IT really wants to put out to the public or is this some trouble maker's story? Where were all these so called Glen Cove residents that oppose the development of the park during the last four years?
Sad

United States

#15 Sep 21, 2010
When the land is desturbed, workers can look forward to very bad medicine. People will pay dearly. A great sickness will come.
Glen Cove Residents

San Pablo, CA

#16 Sep 21, 2010
vtown wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see that proof as well. Do you have a link to back it up? A history book? Documents at the museum?
Glen Cove Residents

San Pablo, CA

#17 Sep 21, 2010
ghost opinion wrote:
Cool!
Facts Not Rumors

United States

#18 Sep 21, 2010
Glen Cove Residents wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see that proof as well. Do you have a link to back it up? A history book? Documents at the museum?
Well if you knew your history and facts before you started spouting off on issues then you wouldn't now need to ask for proof. You can start by checking with the Vallejo Naval Museum on the Facts and Summary of Glen Cove and the book History of Solano County & Biography of it's Early Settlers.
CHRISSY

San Francisco, CA

#19 Sep 21, 2010
IS THE BATHROOM AND PARKING LOTS NECESSARY ...REALLY...???? ISNT IT A SHORT WALK TO SOME THAT HAVE JUST BEEN BUILT AND THAT LOT ISNT FULL EVER....SO WHAT IS THE POINT ????? GIVE IT UP GVRD...CANT THIS MONEY BE BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE?
Knowname

United States

#20 Sep 21, 2010
CHRISSY wrote:
IS THE BATHROOM AND PARKING LOTS NECESSARY ...REALLY...???? ISNT IT A SHORT WALK TO SOME THAT HAVE JUST BEEN BUILT AND THAT LOT ISNT FULL EVER....SO WHAT IS THE POINT ????? GIVE IT UP GVRD...CANT THIS MONEY BE BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE?
We know that none of this is necessary. If people had a sense of whats right, even the opposition would be unnecessary. So we fight another day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Activism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News S. Korean presidential hopeful accused of anti-... Apr 26 Pope Out To Pasture 1
News Trump's tax reform outline promises fight over ... Apr 26 Solarman 1
News CAIR To Bring Its Message Of Illiberal Islamism... Apr 25 Gayber Hood 4
News St. Louis Gears Up For 10,000 Men Community Event Apr 22 Eyz 5
News Trump's polarizing policies push some to greate... Apr 21 Member 7
News #BlackLivesMatter: The Rise Of A Movement (Jul '16) Apr 20 Mike Brown 4
News Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize for 'extraordinary... (Oct '09) Apr 19 Fidel 240
More from around the web