Who still takes global warming seriou...

Who still takes global warming seriously?

There are 30925 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jan 28, 2010, titled Who still takes global warming seriously?. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Despite the recent discovery of the e-mails that resulted in "Climate Gate" and the fact this has been one of the coldest and harshest winters in many years, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31666 Mar 19, 2013
Erratum:

Of course, I meant "...is like HAVING the furnace on..."
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31667 Mar 19, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what you do or say. You're a dishonest and disingenuous debater, a troll as I have already noted. What makes you think you deserve consideration as a serious poster or debater?
Nothing you post here shows that you DO deserve such consideration.
A broken record.
A broken man.
His world crumbling
while he mouths his mantra.
it's black or white to Brain g;
NO THOUGHT required, just faith.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31668 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I can't help it if you don't see reality; there are no experimental tests of climate change mitigation or man made global warming. None, nada, zip...
If you want to call that observation dishonest, prove it; show me a compelling experimental test. I'm not going to discuss who does and doesn't deserve consideration, who's dishonest, disingenuous or whatever you want to call it. I'm not going to use insults or call my political opponents trolls. I don't need to argue about other posters; the facts speak for themselves.
I'm 95% certain, since the experimental data has zero certainty we can mitigate climate change, that this is a hoax. You believe what you choose, I choose reality.
If we could change climate to make it better, we would. If we could improve crop yields by making it rain or increase audiences by making storms, and fair weather that would replace movies and become the new big thing. We can't do anything about the weather so if that's a bummer, stay inside and watch TV.
I understand your fear, climate kills. Storms, flash floods, drought and famine, these are frightening things. I don't argue the climate changes, it always has. I'm discussing the feasibility of doing something about climate, to save our children. Can't be done.
Until you can cite an experiment, test or trial of man made climate change or climate change mitigation, I'll continue to be a skeptic. What would it take to change your mind?
You are in the experiment now and too STOOPID to realize it.

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#31669 Mar 20, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
Pessimistic_troll - oops, I mean Brian At this time, it's impossible to do a controlled, planetary-wide experiment to see if we can lower temperatures by lowering CO2.
We can't even do a controlled atmospheric experiment to see if adding CO2 increases temperature, or any similar experiment using a stronger greenhouse gas. I suggest we wait for the science to catch up to the hype.

But the what-me-worry? attitudes of people like you will mean even more rapidly rising CO2 levels & even more catastrophic changes in climate.
When you exercise, you emit more CO2 than when you rest. Production increases CO2. The more fun you have, the more carbon dioxide you emit.

I love CO2, life would be impossible without it.

Your attitude is like have the furnace on in an unfamiliar house where you're staying, raising the temp to uncomfortable levels. You could try to lower the thermostat, but you haven't "proved" that it works yet. Also, you don't know exactly how far to turn it down. Therefore (according to you), you don't even try to change the setting, just leave the furnace on high & "adapt" to it. Then you come here & say "the thermostat is a hoax" because you refused to try to turn it down. Real smart, Brian_
Earth's climate doesn't have a thermostat.

They fear climate because they don't understand science.

Home, sweet home.

#31670 Mar 20, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
You are in the experiment now and too STOOPID to realize it.
I know the definition of an experiment:

a. A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/experiment

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31671 Mar 20, 2013
The troll is getting fat!
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#31672 Mar 20, 2013
So are you going to take action or keep on getting fatter?

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#31673 Mar 20, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I can't help it if you don't see reality; there are no experimental tests of climate change mitigation or man made global warming. None, nada, zip...
...EDITED......
I don't care what you do or say. You're a dishonest and disingenuous debater, a troll as I have already noted. What makes you think you deserve consideration as a serious poster or debater?

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#31674 Mar 20, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A broken record.
A broken man.
His world crumbling
He "solves" the debate by moving it sideways into an imaginary debate over "warming mitigation." He can then pretend no one's seriously debating him, knows science, or has proven him wrong.

Denial...it's a wonderful thing to the Denialist, whatever form his Denialism takes...:)
litesong

Everett, WA

#31675 Mar 20, 2013
brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
I'm 95% certain......
But it is 100% certain, that 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener, as well as NOT having science & mathematics in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa AND making errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.

All math errors by 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' were accomplished with very few attempts. In the last year or more,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has NOT even attempted math calculations.
litesong

Everett, WA

#31676 Mar 20, 2013
'tha Professor' wrote:

//////////
A broken record.
A broken man.
His world crumbling
He "solves" the debate by moving it sideways into an imaginary debate over "warming mitigation." He can then pretend no one's seriously debating him, knows science, or has proven him wrong.

Denial...it's a wonderful thing to the Denialist, whatever form his Denialism takes...:)
//////////
litesong wrote:
Excellent posts about 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'! You can tell their excellence by the number of toxic topix AGW deniers who gave you negative icons.
litesong

Everett, WA

#31677 Mar 20, 2013
Sorry. A few of the quotes I attributed to 'tha Professor' were from gcaveman1.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#31678 Mar 20, 2013
A side note about energy efficiency while saving the planet:

Emily Badger has a fascinating piece about new research indicating that energy efficient Energy Star homes are less likely to enter default and foreclosure than conventional homes. When I first saw this study being touted by some green types on Twitter I thought the finding was based on some obvious fallacy, but Badger writes that the researchers "controlled for the size and age of the houses, neighborhood income, climate, home value, local unemployment rates, utility prices and borrower credit scores, among other variables."

In other words, this really is a correlation between energy efficiency and default risk not just something about energy efficient homes being built in more economically vibrant places.

One possibility here is that energy efficiency is saving people tons of money, and thus they can pay off their mortgage. Another possibility would be that efficiency is a correlate of some kind of anti-default personality characteristic¬ólike the kind of people who remember to consider the energy efficiency of their house are more far-sighted than average. Either way, the thinking here is that the energy efficiency of a home should enter into assessments of creditworthiness for mortgage purposes.

Deniers say do nothing, there's no use, there's no problem. But SMART people go energy-smart and save a few dollars, and keep their house. That's why a quick and possibly difficult switchover doesn't have to happen now but can still do good for someone.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#31679 Mar 20, 2013
I should have attributed most of the above post to Matthew Iglesias.
SpaceBlues

United States

#31680 Mar 20, 2013

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31681 Mar 20, 2013
Brian
"I love CO2, life would be impossible without it.
Earth's climate doesn't have a thermostat."

You wouldn't love CO2 in high concentrations, nor would you like O2 in high concentrations. They can both kill you. Just like Goldilocks, we need a LOT of things "just right," not too high, not too low.

You are inccorrect about the thermostat. Earth's climate DOES have a thermostat; it's carbon dioxide. At least, CO2 is the most important factor. The sun's irradiance is critical, but it's relatively stable, except for very slowly increasing over time. Richard Alley says it explicitly in this lecture:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/lectures/lec...

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#31682 Mar 23, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't insult my political opponents because ad hominem arguments are based on falsehood.
Most climate change alarmists don't believe because or reason, they believe because of emotion.
Oh, interesting. You recycle that retort on other topics too.
Global warming is matter of simple chemistry. CO2 traps heat and it also acidifies the oceans. While global warming models are only as good as their assumptions, it is not a question of "if", but "when". Put more CO2 in the atmosphere, clear more of the world's forests, and keep doing it for a few hundred years, and global temperatures will rise. People should start doing more to prevent what is at this point almost inevitable, or thousands of years from now it could even threaten the survival of our species. For example, it is quite possible small plankton will no longer be able to build there shells faster than the acidified ocean water erodes it. If plankton suddenly fell off the food chain, the repercussions would reverberate up the food chain to affect all species, including humans.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31683 Mar 23, 2013
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, interesting. You recycle that retort on other topics too.
Global warming is matter of simple chemistry. CO2 traps heat and it also acidifies the oceans. While global warming models are only as good as their assumptions, it is not a question of "if", but "when". Put more CO2 in the atmosphere, clear more of the world's forests, and keep doing it for a few hundred years, and global temperatures will rise. People should start doing more to prevent what is at this point almost inevitable, or thousands of years from now it could even threaten the survival of our species. For example, it is quite possible small plankton will no longer be able to build there shells faster than the acidified ocean water erodes it. If plankton suddenly fell off the food chain, the repercussions would reverberate up the food chain to affect all species, including humans.
Brain is a great recycler. But Bullshit! doesn't recycle as well as actual bull shit.

Brain ain't growing nothin.

He just reads the papers he gets from Central Command.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#31684 Mar 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Brain is a great recycler. But Bullshit! doesn't recycle as well as actual bull shit.
Brain ain't growing nothin.
He just reads the papers he gets from Central Command.
Lord almighty, I am a Topix editor for the gay/lesbian news forum, and he's got about the same style (or lack thereof).

Home, sweet home.

#31685 Mar 24, 2013
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
...Global warming is matter of simple chemistry. CO2 traps heat and it also acidifies the oceans... For example, it is quite possible small plankton will no longer be able to build there shells faster than the acidified ocean water erodes it. If plankton suddenly fell off the food chain, the repercussions would reverberate up the food chain to affect all species, including humans.
Plankton includes algae, they need CO2 to live and build their shells.

Without CO2, life as we know it would be impossible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Activism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kim Kardashian Facing Fur-ious Protest At Calab... (Apr '12) Thu Teri Copley Actress 9
News Tim Murphy's 'Christadora' is a Sprawling Epic ... Sep 22 Xstain Mullah Decree 1
News Native Americans celebrate pause of N. Dakota p... Sep 19 vid 1
News Egypt looks to burnish image with el-Sissi's UN... Sep 18 Stephany McDowell 1
News This Moment at Standing Rock Was Decades in the... Sep 17 sadly not a Joke 1
News Snowden: Long prison term for me would erode de... Sep 16 WelbyMD 4
News How Maria Baronova Became the Face of Russia's ... Sep 16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web