Gays in Belarus face reprisals for activism

Feb 15, 2013 Full story: KWQC-TV Davenport 38

Police in Belarus are going after gays, raiding their clubs and locking up clubbers overnight, and summoning gay activists for questioning.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 15, 2013
We've got it so easy (by comparison) in America nowadays.

Our brothers and sisters in other Countries need to learn that our methods, or protest methods used with other issues, will not work for them.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#2 Feb 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
We've got it so easy (by comparison) in America nowadays.
Our brothers and sisters in other Countries need to learn that our methods, or protest methods used with other issues, will not work for them.
I'm curious what you think triggered the turning point that was Stonewall in the USA.
Luke

Norrköping, Sweden

#3 Feb 15, 2013
I love it!!!
Boris

Russia

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Way to go Belarus!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#5 Feb 15, 2013
My dad says that if he and his buddies just pressed on for a few more weeks, we could've conquered Belarus !

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#6 Feb 15, 2013
I don't think any kind of protest would work in Belarus. It is a totalitarian state with Lukashenko as a mini Stalin.

They need a revolution, not a protest.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious what you think triggered the turning point that was Stonewall in the USA.
The '60s. Everybody was protesting SOMETHING.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#8 Feb 15, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
You can buy books on The Stonewall Riots. Basically it was teh proverbial straw that broke teh camel's back. Gay people got tired of being harrassed by the NYPD and fought back.

The bar was owned by a mafiosi at the time. I believe all teh gay bars were back then. A low-level mafia guy named Tony Lauria of teh Genovese Family owned teh bar.(I'm from New York and have an interest in mafia history.)

The cops raided the place one late June night, and teh patrons got sick of the raids and harrassment adn fought back. The Stonewall Riots went on for a few days.

Although I lived in New York at the time, about 40 miles east, being a young teen at the time, I was unaware of teh riots.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/fe...

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#9 Feb 15, 2013
While often discounted as a contributing factor to Stonewall, grief can play a part in letting emotions influence behavior.

The riots happened during the night after Judy's funeral.

Some say it played a part, others say no. But most people know you can't harass someone who is grieving and expect a rational response.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#10 Feb 15, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
While often discounted as a contributing factor to Stonewall, grief can play a part in letting emotions influence behavior.
The riots happened during the night after Judy's funeral.
Some say it played a part, others say no. But most people know you can't harass someone who is grieving and expect a rational response.
Although a lesbian, Judy Carne wasn't dead ! She was still on Laugh-In ! Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about ?!

Location hidden

#11 Feb 15, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Although a lesbian, Judy Carne wasn't dead ! She was still on Laugh-In ! Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about ?!
Garland

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#12 Feb 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Garland
Garland who ?

AOL

#13 Feb 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Garland
If that wasn't intended as a joke, I think it's time to revoke his gay membership card, and repossess the free toaster as well.

AOL

#14 Feb 15, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Garland who ?
Ok, turn in your card and your toaster. You are no friend of Dorothy!

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#16 Feb 15, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
If that wasn't intended as a joke, I think it's time to revoke his gay membership card, and repossess the free toaster as well.
I paid $6 in 1980 for a 55 year old toaster and it still works just fine, so no, I didn't get a free one, and no, it doesn't need to be replaced.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#17 Feb 15, 2013
And I still miss Judy Carne and Laugh-In.

:(

“Liberalism”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#18 Feb 16, 2013
Why International Community not interesting for human rights in Belarus?

Why not make nothing to release Belarusians from dictator Lukasenko?

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#19 Feb 16, 2013
european2012 wrote:
Why International Community not interesting for human rights in Belarus?
Why not make nothing to release Belarusians from dictator Lukasenko?
I agree. Why aren't the European countries doing anything about this ? Isn't he the last dictator in Europe ?
Heaven and Hell

Hinsdale, MA

#20 Feb 16, 2013
FaFoxy? Why would you support something so preposterous as two 'heterosexual' men being allowed to raise a child? Don't you know that the child is gonna miss his or her mama? Can't you see that this really is getting out of control here? Can't you see the reality here and those generally responible for peddling this are those printing the dough to funnel it to a powerful and influncial entity that seems to require all aspiring polititians to sign papers and pledge their undying faith for some far off land?
omeone's been playing three sides of the fence for way too long and yet we wonder why Muslims are so angry. They both must go. Or the three of them depending on how ya want to count the hijacked faith of........
I think we're gonna move to Poland soon.
FaFoxy?
Hello?
Happy Anniversary

Hinsdale, MA

#21 Feb 16, 2013
The greatest ponzi scheme known to mankind.

Stole this land stole that land and now we wish to corrupt and subvert your society even further. Subversion, imperialism? Elitists, decadence, excess, vice, corruption. Thank God for healthcare.
They blame the white man for it all.
Well, which white man are we blaming here? he ones that warned you or the ones that allowed yourself to corrupt each other and the earth?
Plenty of blame and so little shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Activism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama-bashing ads by abortion foe Randall Terry... (Jun '11) 4 hr hornback12 80
Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied (Jun '11) 11 hr maturesinglesdate 12,365
Brazil: Evangelical lawmakers worry gay activists 12 hr Belle Sexton 3
Soldiers' rights activist jailed in Russia Sat Oliver Cromwell 4
Jesse Jackson calls for end to Cuban embargo Fri WE JUST DONT CARE 11
Hong Kong student democracy protests hover over... Oct 14 other reports 1
How Two Tibetan Musicians Created a Novel and F... Oct 14 Friend of all 1

Activism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE