Girl sues Indiana school for right to...

Girl sues Indiana school for right to wear tuxedo to prom

There are 2510 comments on the www.indystar.com story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Girl sues Indiana school for right to wear tuxedo to prom. In it, www.indystar.com reports that:

A 17-year-old Boone County girl has sued Lebanon Schools after her high school principal told her she could not wear a tuxedo to her prom and would have to wear a dress instead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.indystar.com.

trollzrus

Palm Harbor, FL

#1598 Mar 16, 2009
Don R wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that without rules there would be chaos but isn't the whole point of the girl's argument that the school is in fact breaking the rules of the higher authority to which they must adhere ie the constitution.
who asked you ?

LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Hudsonville, MI

#1599 Mar 16, 2009
trollzrus wrote:
<quoted text>
everybody fits in categorys. you think you are unique ?
aint no Q
Ed Deline

Stevens Point, WI

#1600 Mar 16, 2009
roadrunner48808 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I hear "floor" I think "sales floor". Sorry for the assumption.:)
Oh, and the rule was stupid to begin with. They realized this and changed it. It just took a brave teen to bring it to their attention that it was stupid, and unjust.
They should have checked into it further before they denied her, just like i should have. My bad.
Don R

Toronto, Canada

#1601 Mar 16, 2009
trollzrus wrote:
<quoted text>
who asked you ?
Nobody. who asked you?

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#1602 Mar 16, 2009
crazycatman wrote:
What about the other students at the prom. What if they're not comfortable with some dude in a skirt or woman in a tuxedo. "Too bad" I hear you say.
I'll say it too. Maybe they need counseling to find out why they're not comfortable with guys in skirts and women in tux's. Gender-divided clothing styles are nothing more than dusty old cultural traditions that no longer serve the interests of a society that has embraced gender equality.
crazycatman wrote:
Selfish self centered liberals.
Not at all. The big picture is what our society's styles of dress mean, what they say about who we are as a nation. Do we treat women as sex objects inferior to men (the message sent by expecting them to wear dresses for formal occasions), or do we treat them as equal to men (the message sent by letting go of the old binary-gendered styles)?
trollzrus

Palm Harbor, FL

#1603 Mar 16, 2009
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>aint no Q
How do I know that you aren't a Q in the closet ?
trollzrus

Palm Harbor, FL

#1604 Mar 16, 2009
Roisia wrote:
I wouldnt wish being trans on my worst enemy.
understood

“Makin' my rounds!”

Since: Mar 09

Waycross, GA

#1605 Mar 16, 2009
School dress codes have gotten ridiculous. My thoughts are "Hey... Mr. Principal when you start buying my child's clothes that's when you can tell me what he/she can wear." As for her and the tuxedo, she should wear what she is comfortable in. At least her boobs won't be hanging out and if she bends over her butt won't show like most of these little teeny boppers try to wear as dresses to this so called-PROM!

“ALWAYS IN SEARCH OF TRUTH”

Since: Aug 08

San Francisco, CA

#1606 Mar 16, 2009
jds wrote:
I know a lesbian and she wore a dress to prom and went with a guy.Personally if I was the principal I would say wear it who gives a @##$$@.I found it fascinating that homosexuals want the same rights which I think is fair but at the same time want the rules bent for them.Then some homosexuals cry foul when not getting their way.If she wasn't a lesbian would she still want to wear a tuxedo?and if so why?No one is going to magically think she has a penis anyway.I guess comfort is the reason why.Silliness.
**********" found it fascinating that homosexuals want the same rights which I think is fair but at the same time want the rules bent for them.Then some homosexuals cry foul when not getting their way."== WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. WHAT RULES DO WE TRY TO BEND? I'LL BE WAITING FOR THE LIST. YOU SOUND IGNORANT...

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#1607 Mar 16, 2009
crazycatman wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen to yourself. "Me, me, me, me, me-it's all about selfish self centered me.". Such is the selfishness of so many alternative lifestylers. All you're doing is looking at one selfish individual who wants to make a statement at the expense of others.
I'm looking at the big picture. What about the other students at the prom. What if they're not comfortable with some dude in a skirt or woman in a tuxedo. "Too bad" I hear you say.
Selfish self centered liberals.
And what about all the family of the students? What about the 90 yr old grandmother/grandfathers of the students, having to have their grandchildrens's special night sullied by the sight of women in tuxes or men in skirts? Who gives a stuff if other people are made uncomfortable by this? As long as some political activist liberal gets to have his/her say and "make a statement".
And damn all the feelings and sentiments of everyone else there.
I hope when you get married that some stoned nudists attend your ceremony. You know, "being yourself" and all that bullshit. Then you'll know what it feels like to have your special day ruined and embaressed.
Each comment you have made here is from your very own personal view,, your personal thoughts about this matter..
Therefore your own statement could easily fit yourself..
-
“Listen to yourself. "Me, me, me, me, me-it's all about selfish self centered me.".

“Peace”

Earth

#1608 Mar 16, 2009
roadrunner48808 wrote:
<quoted text>
*Let the chaos and destruction begin!!!!*
(Laughs hysterically.)
then next thing you know,, women will be allowed to vote, own land, and wear pants, and sue their husbands for abuse!! Life as we know it will fall and bring about the Armageddon

“aka Slow Hand Luke”

Since: Sep 08

/The Deer Whisperer

#1609 Mar 16, 2009
Good Gawd! I don't think I have to time to read all the posts placed since Friday afternoon. Quite the topic, eh?!

The Lebanon IN school board came to its senses.

I apologize in advance if someone already added this news:
School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom
School, Girl Reach Agreement Over Dress Code

POSTED: 4:20 pm EDT March 13, 2009
UPDATED: 4:36 pm EDT March 13, 2009
[NEWSVINE: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][DELICIOUS: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][DIGG: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][FACEBOOK: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][REDDIT: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][RSS][PRINT: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom][EMAIL: School: Girl Will Be Able To Wear Tux To Prom]
LEBANON, Ind.-- A Lebanon High School senior girl will be able to wear a tux to prom after the school said Friday that officials had reversed their original decision on the matter.

A lawsuit filed Tuesday said the principal told the girl that, while the school's dress code does not contain gender-based requirements, there is a special dress code for prom that requires female students to wear a formal dress.

In a release issued on Friday, Lebanon Schools Superintendent Robert L. Taylor said that the issued had been resolved.

"School policy for this year's prom will be that all attendees shall wear appropriate formal attire with no gender-based attire requirements imposed. Female students will be permitted to wear tuxedos if they chose," the release stated.

The 17-year-old girl, whose name was not revealed in the lawsuit filed on her behalf by the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana, is a lesbian and does not wear dresses because she believes dresses represent a sexual identity she rejects, court filings said.

The suit claimed that the prom attire policy intentionally discriminates against students based on gender, and that because the school receives federal funds, the policy also violates federal law.

School officials had originally said they would wait for the court to rule on the matter. The agreement will be formalized at the next school board meeting March 17.

“aka Slow Hand Luke”

Since: Sep 08

/The Deer Whisperer

#1610 Mar 16, 2009
Grrr. I forgot to include the source quoted.

http://www.theindychannel.com/education/18926...

LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Hudsonville, MI

#1611 Mar 16, 2009
trollzrus wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I know that you aren't a Q in the closet ?
yawn

“What's this bit for, then?”

Since: Feb 09

Adelaide SA

#1612 Mar 16, 2009
Annaleigh wrote:
<quoted text>then next thing you know,, women will be allowed to vote, own land, and wear pants, and sue their husbands for abuse!! Life as we know it will fall and bring about the Armageddon
bloody Emily Pankhurst! I always knew it was her fault! She's obviously the anti-christ! LOL LOL ;)

“Namaste”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#1613 Mar 16, 2009
Angelica Farhat wrote:
School dress codes have gotten ridiculous. My thoughts are "Hey... Mr. Principal when you start buying my child's clothes that's when you can tell me what he/she can wear." As for her and the tuxedo, she should wear what she is comfortable in. At least her boobs won't be hanging out and if she bends over her butt won't show like most of these little teeny boppers try to wear as dresses to this so called-PROM!
Exactly. I decided to go online and check out prom styles for the now. Holy crap. They have more to worry about with the girls covering themselves or looking too mature. Some of these dresses leave nothing to the imagination. and they were worried about a flippin' tux.
As I said before, they need concern themselves with the lack of material, and what these teens plan on doing after the prom, not the fact that some girl wants to wear a tux.

“Namaste”

Location hidden

#1614 Mar 16, 2009
AMANWITHANEDGE wrote:
<quoted text>
**********" found it fascinating that homosexuals want the same rights which I think is fair but at the same time want the rules bent for them.Then some homosexuals cry foul when not getting their way."== WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. WHAT RULES DO WE TRY TO BEND? I'LL BE WAITING FOR THE LIST. YOU SOUND IGNORANT...
Yeah, I don't know what extra things homosexuals are asking for. They are asking for equal, not extra.

“Namaste”

Location hidden

#1615 Mar 16, 2009
Annaleigh wrote:
<quoted text>then next thing you know,, women will be allowed to vote, own land, and wear pants, and sue their husbands for abuse!! Life as we know it will fall and bring about the Armageddon
It's the end of the world as we know it......LOL

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#1616 Mar 16, 2009
GREAT ! I'm glad the school finally realized that they were violating this student's rights !

“Peace”

Earth

#1617 Mar 16, 2009
Roisia wrote:
I wouldnt wish being trans on my worst enemy.
There is not a thing wrong with the fact that a person is trans..
The problem is with societies thinking. In our society we have whole classes of people that are disposable, simply due to ignorance, prejudice, and bigotry.
-
The same creative powers that created them, created you, just as you are and for a reason.
You have been given a special gift to see the world through the eyes of both sexes. The gift to learn and understand first hand what prejudice, hate, and bigotry do to a person. These are things so many that leave this world will never understand..
-
Stand strong, be proud, and know that you have a better understanding of love then most.
There are those that receive love all around them but abuse it because it is free, and there are those who long to be loved who honor and cherish it when they receive it...
-

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ACLU Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 hr scientia potentia... 154,610
News Trump signs pledge to back GOP's 2016 president... (Sep '15) Thu Freedom Speaks 4
News Supreme Court has not decided if it will hear G... Nov 29 meh plus 8
News Lawyer at center of Jeff Sessions racism contro... Nov 22 Philosophic 74
News Court Orders Better Facilities for Detained Ill... Nov 22 spytheweb 1
News Source: Trump immigration plan mirrors post-9/1... Nov 17 tomin cali 1
News ACLU urges probe into transgender teen's suicid... Nov 14 Cath League of Du... 1
More from around the web