Girl sues Indiana school for right to...

Girl sues Indiana school for right to wear tuxedo to prom

There are 2511 comments on the www.indystar.com story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Girl sues Indiana school for right to wear tuxedo to prom. In it, www.indystar.com reports that:

A 17-year-old Boone County girl has sued Lebanon Schools after her high school principal told her she could not wear a tuxedo to her prom and would have to wear a dress instead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.indystar.com.

First Prev
of 126
Next Last

“Pompous pontificator”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 12, 2009
Maybe the school district would be okay with a Berka.

What a bunch of idiots; who gives a crap what she wears as long as she's covered-up and smells okay.

It could be worse, she may have wanted to wear her lumberjack outfit, flannel shirt, boots and all.

Is this what educators call 'moulding minds'?
jds

Ormond Beach, FL

#2 Mar 12, 2009
I know a lesbian and she wore a dress to prom and went with a guy.Personally if I was the principal I would say wear it who gives a @##[email protected] found it fascinating that homosexuals want the same rights which I think is fair but at the same time want the rules bent for them.Then some homosexuals cry foul when not getting their way.If she wasn't a lesbian would she still want to wear a tuxedo?and if so why?No one is going to magically think she has a penis anyway.I guess comfort is the reason why.Silliness.

“IM NOT READY TO MAKE NICE”

Since: Mar 09

AS USUAL, IM THE PRETTY ONE

#4 Mar 12, 2009
This was all over the news last night!! I think it is rediculous,,girls wear prom dresses,,,with everything but their smile hanging out,,and a girl in a tux is banned,,,she is making a statement on her sexual preference,,ultimately this is the issue with the school,, not a simple tuxedo,,,this is 2008,,,unfortunately I live very close to this community, but they need to get with the times. it is embarrasing that this may make national news,,looks like a witch hunt.

“Bullish on Equal Rights”

Since: Dec 06

Rocky Mountains

#7 Mar 12, 2009
How do you deal with a business woman in a suit?

Really, what difference does it make whether she wears a tux or a dress? I have seen a few gals in tuxes at prom when our kids were in HS and they looked pretty good. Why are you folks so uptight about her clothes???? Are you that insecure in your own sexuality that you have to cast yours onto them?

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#8 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
God that stupid dyke. I seriously hope someone gives her a most serious beating, and if I was in Lebanon, IN, I'd administer a beating harsher then she'd ever know from anywhere else, just for making me so sick with her disgusting faggotry.
You've got issues! Sad to be you.

“IM NOT READY TO MAKE NICE”

Since: Mar 09

AS USUAL, IM THE PRETTY ONE

#9 Mar 12, 2009
Rikki S wrote:
How do you deal with a business woman in a suit?
Really, what difference does it make whether she wears a tux or a dress? I have seen a few gals in tuxes at prom when our kids were in HS and they looked pretty good. Why are you folks so uptight about her clothes???? Are you that insecure in your own sexuality that you have to cast yours onto them?
well said,,,whether we agree or disagree with sexual preference, this isnt a tux issue,,,they are trying to put her in her place! at the embarrassment of their school system..

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#10 Mar 12, 2009
The courts have already ruled on this years ago. She has the legal right to wear a tux.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
ugh, disgusting lesbians ruining this country.
even if she's not a dyke, she's ruining the country with this encouraging behavior.
I hope she gets cancer or AIDS, and dies.
you may say to me "but you're so cruel, harsh, intolerant, etc."
well, you tell me that when your girl comes home some day telling you about how she's sexing another girl...let's see if you like it then.
You may be more successful if you prohibit tux rentals to girls. Are you a fashion policeman?

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Long Island, NY

#14 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
<quoted text>
judging from your name, I'm supposing you are a supporter of the faggotry.
however, MANY of us don't want to have daughters some day to end up like this dyke, who insists on a tux, when it's most unnatural and quite lewd for her to wear. I got it! Why don't we get every man tomorrow to wear tube tops, pony tails, and make up, and every woman to get all hairy! wouldn't that be a nice society to live in?
WOMEN ARE WOMEN, MEN ARE MEN--PERIOD
You're obviously a wackazoid.

Kansas City, MO.

#15 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
<quoted text>
judging from your name, I'm supposing you are a supporter of the faggotry.
however, MANY of us don't want to have daughters some day to end up like this dyke, who insists on a tux, when it's most unnatural and quite lewd for her to wear. I got it! Why don't we get every man tomorrow to wear tube tops, pony tails, and make up, and every woman to get all hairy! wouldn't that be a nice society to live in?
WOMEN ARE WOMEN, MEN ARE MEN--PERIOD
We got it........You are in your dream and not waking up. Fact: Gays and Lesbians are EVERYWHERE and not going away. As for not having a lesbian daughter, well when she turns 18 you have no say so at all. You really fear the unknown.
Richard Simmons

Buffalo, NY

#19 Mar 12, 2009
Hi hi hi!!! I wore a dress to MY prom!!

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Plum, Purplonia

#20 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
ugh, disgusting lesbians ruining this country.
even if she's not a dyke, she's ruining the country with this encouraging behavior.
I hope she gets cancer or AIDS, and dies.
you may say to me "but you're so cruel, harsh, intolerant, etc."
well, you tell me that when your girl comes home some day telling you about how she's sexing another girl...let's see if you like it then.
I will not wish AIDS or cancer on someone just because they are gay, even when I oppose the theory and practice of homosexuality. I have never bashed a gay person, and I hope if I see gay bashing, I would have the guts to stand up for them. To me, whatever they do is between them and their Higher Power. They have to live their lives, and it is not my business.

As for clothing, even as much as I oppose recreational crossdressing and say that makes a mockery out of gender roles and adds to confusion, I also believe in fairness there. Any clothing choice available to one gender should be available to those of the other gender.

Plum, Purplonia

#21 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
<quoted text>
and I have plenty of say. no theorhetical daughter of mine will ever be a member of the established faggotry; how do I prevent it? simple, no TV.
Well, that is fine and good, but what if they are born with gay tendencies? If you were born with certain tendencies, then you would still have them no matter how much or how little TV you watch. You cannot keep them from being gay, only from being comfortable in sharing that part of their life with you.

Plum, Purplonia

#22 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
<quoted text>
more like, I really fear the unnatural and creepy--such as two women having sex and loving each other intimately.
if women were meant to love women, how come their sexual parts don't correspond?
Everyone is supposed to love everyone as brothers and sisters. Love is not just about sex. There is plenty of love which does not involve sex.

Since: Jul 07

Cincinnati, OH

#23 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD is obviously a kid. Perhaps we should not be responding to them. It only continues to encourage bad behaviour.
I see it

Harrisburg, PA

#24 Mar 12, 2009
Richard Simmons wrote:
Hi hi hi!!! I wore a dress to MY prom!!
U dirty little thief, u also stole my underware along with my dress
Dr Obvious

Huntington, NY

#25 Mar 12, 2009
Maybe she figured that it would be easier to clean the protein stains out of a tux rather than a dress?

Kansas City, MO.

#26 Mar 12, 2009
StevoD wrote:
<quoted text>
and I have plenty of say. no theorhetical daughter of mine will ever be a member of the established faggotry; how do I prevent it? simple, no TV.
ROTFL. No TV? There is plenty without TV. You really should come to the year of 2009 and quit living in the 1950's.

Plum, Purplonia

#27 Mar 12, 2009
reebie_ wrote:
This was all over the news last night!! I think it is rediculous,,girls wear prom dresses,,,with everything but their smile hanging out,,and a girl in a tux is banned,,,she is making a statement on her sexual preference,,ultimately this is the issue with the school,, not a simple tuxedo,,,this is 2008,,,unfortunately I live very close to this community, but they need to get with the times. it is embarrasing that this may make national news,,looks like a witch hunt.
Personally speaking only, the school is not the place for expressing any sexual preference. If your sexual preference differs from the norm, then express it on your own time away from school/work. Nevertheless, I must agree with you. Why the double standard, and why the big deal?

Plum, Purplonia

#28 Mar 12, 2009
devons wrote:
StevoD is obviously a kid. Perhaps we should not be responding to them. It only continues to encourage bad behaviour.
And I am sure the trolls will say you are obviously gay. StevoD will probably say you practice f****try.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 126
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ACLU Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 7 hr 15th Dalai Lama 163,801
News Vigo County remains under legal pressure over jail Sep 18 D Hamilton 3
News ACLU asks Mounds police to stop posting religio... Sep 13 uhavenoprivacy 1
News Editorial: Justified suspicion of Kobach Sep 3 Sylda Nichols 1
News ACLU Warns Trump: Pardoning Arpaio Would Be - P... Aug 26 Agents of Corruption 17
News Pace students pray in spite of graduation contr... (Jun '09) Aug '17 Chazezra 2
News Is it time for public schools to put religion b... Aug '17 countryboy 1
More from around the web