Nursing students challenge dress code

Nursing students challenge dress code

There are 19 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 12, 2007, titled Nursing students challenge dress code. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

High school students taking nursing classes at a vocational center say they should be allowed to wear scrubs during the school day, even though that might violate the district's new dress code.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

FED UP

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2007
If they can't comply, kick them out of the program.

Offbeat

“ Seal Of Democrat Party”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#3 Oct 12, 2007
I have never in my life seen such a cry baby generation. I wonder sometimes if these kids sit at home thinking stupid crap like this. The only rights they have are to get an eduction and follow simple rules. I am going to start calling them generation C for crybabies. Grow up!
Sue

Fishers, IN

#4 Oct 12, 2007
How long does it take to change clothes? Really, this should not be a big deal. How about they wear khaki scrub bottoms and blue scrub tops if changing clothes is taking so much valuable time.
Frustrated

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Oct 12, 2007
I can't believe so much news is given to dress codes. Are nursing students the worst students in the school? They definitely have a point...ROTC uniforms? Why don't they concentrate more on education than specific uniforms which are for the welfare of the young people's future? Call me a cry baby, too. I'm 78 years old and would not like to be "lumped" in with the rest of the school if I were to become an "angel of mercy" rather than being a "hood" or "school clown".
Jim

Milwaukee, WI

#6 Oct 12, 2007
Should football, basketball, players etc. be allowed to wear their uniforms to school on practice days?

Offbeat

“ Seal Of Democrat Party”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#7 Oct 12, 2007
Frustrated wrote:
I can't believe so much news is given to dress codes. Are nursing students the worst students in the school? They definitely have a point...ROTC uniforms? Why don't they concentrate more on education than specific uniforms which are for the welfare of the young people's future? Call me a cry baby, too. I'm 78 years old and would not like to be "lumped" in with the rest of the school if I were to become an "angel of mercy" rather than being a "hood" or "school clown".
Look!ROTC has been wearing uniforms in school for years and they are the same. The students need to shut up and follow simple rules without trying to buck the system. I think it is fairly easy to do. Kids today are disrespectfull to adults because they simple can not get want they want with throwing a fit.
DOUBLE J

Duncan, OK

#8 Oct 12, 2007
CAN'T THEY WEAR KHAKI SCRUBS THAT DONT SAG!
Carol

Springfield, MA

#9 Oct 12, 2007
As a nurse myself, I can tell you it was often impossible to get from the clinical site to class on time much less have to change clothes on the way. We had to be at the hospital at 6 or 6:30 am. Then, we were expected to be in classes in the evenings after clinical. We never got out of clinical on time and ended up running to our cars and racing to the school to be on time for class. Certain semesters you do the reverse and have to race from class to a hospital for specialty clinicals in the evenings. It isn't a matter of complaining, but a matter of practicality and common sense.
Ollie

Warren, MI

#10 Oct 13, 2007
Everyone is missing the point! Scrubs are worn to protect patients and clinicians from infection or the spread of infection. Scrubs are for specific use in the clinical area not in places where the public is in street clothes. Why not get the nursing students some great shirts for lecture and then let them wear their scrubs for clinicals. Scrubs are usually donned as one enters the clinical area and discarded and laundered once you leave the clincal area. I am proud there are young people choosing to go into the nursing profession but please scrubs or clogs do not make a Nurse! Thanks from Ollie, RN for 21 years
Stickman

Evansville, IN

#11 Oct 14, 2007
Offbeat wrote:
<quoted text>The students need to shut up and follow simple rules without trying to buck the system... Kids today are disrespectfull to adults because they simple can not get want they want with throwing a fit.
It doesn't make sense to follow the rules when the rules don't make sense.

Look at it like this:
A. The students are required to wear certain clothing to attend school.

B. The nursing program requires them to wear articles of clothing through most of the day that violate statement A.

A <> B

Therefore, the relationship between these two rules needs to change, or one of them needs to go.

Furthermore, I agree that kids complain. They tend to take the things we adults do that don't make sense and try to improve on them. It's called thinking for themselves, which is something we'd like them to be able to do when their peers are doing something stupid. Of course, we can be hypocritical if we're the ones doing something stupid. That makes sense... right?

I'm neutral when it comes to the dress code. But as with any new rule, exceptions will arise and the rule must be adjusted to accommodate or prevent them.

Now, are the students being disrespectful and unruly? Some. Unfortunately, they're the ones who seem to be heard from most often. But from what I've noticed, the adults who turn a deaf ear to those students with legitimate concerns are perhaps even more disrespectful.

And just so I can fit in. I really need to tell everyone what I think other people should do. It goes something like this:
"They should write in a clause to the new rule stating what kind of scrubs are to be permitted while on campus."
US Tank

Eau Claire, WI

#12 Oct 14, 2007
as a nurse also, nothing wrong with it unless they just came from working around patients then wearing them to school. That would leave a chance to spread infection. Let them wear 'em. Sports teams too. Hell, we need to start caring and addressing things that are important. Not just a principal who has authority and just wants everyone to know he has it. At the hospital I worked at the Administrator would only allow yesterday's newspaper in the break room. Today's newspaper was not allowed. Now if you ever meet him shake his hand, because you just met yourself an asshole!
Genevieve M Clavreul RN

United States

#13 Oct 14, 2007
Wearing scrubs at school defeats the purpose of
preventing transmission of infections and diseases
such MRSA from hospitals to public areas and in
reverse. Also this is not a good habit to take, scrubs
technically should only be worn in the hospital setting.
wordcop

Fort Thomas, KY

#14 Oct 14, 2007
it comes down to that one wants to look cool wearing scrubs! Why I don't know but it still remains!
Nova

New Castle, PA

#15 Jan 3, 2008
@Carol
Common sense?? As a nurse as well you should know better. Wearing "scrubs" to to class should NOT be allowed. C-diff, MRSA and a host of other micro-organisms can be transmitted easily from scrubs. I not only take off my scrubs at work but I stick them in a plastic bag in my trunk and wash them DAILY.

Since: Jan 08

Oxford, AL

#16 Jan 12, 2008
Nova wrote:
@Carol
Common sense?? As a nurse as well you should know better. Wearing "scrubs" to to class should NOT be allowed. C-diff, MRSA and a host of other micro-organisms can be transmitted easily from scrubs. I not only take off my scrubs at work but I stick them in a plastic bag in my trunk and wash them DAILY.
As an RN myself I absolutely agree with you. The students could be picking up certain germs from school and taking to some pt with a poor immune response or the other way. Sounds like they already have RNitis and they should know that now days a person wearing scrubs could mean they are a nurses aide, day care center worker, in dietary or even work in housekeeping. The list goes on and on. Scrubs do not make a nurse.
cuttie pie 101

Louisville, KY

#17 Jan 13, 2008
I don't like dress code it stinks.
cuttie pie 101

Louisville, KY

#18 Jan 13, 2008
i know miley cyrus she's my sister
Nurse Manager

Halifax, Canada

#19 Sep 2, 2008
I understand fully the rushed schedule and that there isnt always time to change, however with all of the germs we pick up on our uniforms, it makes me a bit squamish to think that the students would pull those into the school. Maybe faculty could build in time for changing. If you cant change the dress code, make following it simpler. We need to support these Students who are working hard to fill the ever increasing void in the healthcare system!!!
Sakara

Bloomfield, NJ

#20 Sep 3, 2008
FED UP wrote:
If they can't comply, kick them out of the program.
Don't these kids have to change clothes for gym class, what's the big deal!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ACLU Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Dogen 162,356
News Iraqi facing deportation after aiding military ... 8 hr Rishjali 12
News Knoxville groups protest immigration policy Tue non homo pheobie 6
News ACLU of Ohio sues Columbus police for pepper sp... Jul 14 Big B 13
News US Judge Extends Halt on Iraqi Deportations Jul 11 @Kelly 5
News Dress codes have supporters, detractors Jul 6 where is Daddy 1
News ACLU files lawsuit on behalf of Hancock County ... Jul 3 Ian 4
More from around the web