Gay marriage supporters take fight to courts

There are 221 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 29, 2012, titled Gay marriage supporters take fight to courts. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Carlos Briones, left, and Richard Rykhus, of Evanston, are plaintiffs in the ACLU suit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

NEW

Owatonna, MN

#102 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Which I can do....
I'm speaking/voting my conscience as my rights allow me to do. My beliefs are what shapes my conscience. But no one is required to believe as I do. That's the beauty of America....
As long as congress doesn't make any laws 'requiring' a certain religion be observed, no violations have taken place....
AND WHEN YOU PASS GAY MARRAIGE BANS YOU HAVE USED RELIGION TO MAKE LAW!!!!!!!!!!

How would you feel if one day the government passed a law banning all religion because enough people voted for it????????? Would you say ok guess that is ok???

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#103 May 31, 2012
voteearlyvoteoften wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I did say it wasn't perfect, but it describes the plan - go after a non-compliant church's tax exempt status. Many churches sit on valuable and untaxed land and rent their facilities to church non-members..........
Look up New York's law regarding ssm and churches. A church can rightly, and without repercussions, refuse to marry a same sex couple. This is what I support since it keeps the separation of church and state intact. However, if that church is accepting public funding and is allowing other functions at its facilities then, like in New Jersey, they would have to allow the ceremony to take place there. They would NOT have to perform the ceremony themselves though.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#104 May 31, 2012
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up New York's law regarding ssm and churches. A church can rightly, and without repercussions, refuse to marry a same sex couple. This is what I support since it keeps the separation of church and state intact. However, if that church is accepting public funding and is allowing other functions at its facilities then, like in New Jersey, they would have to allow the ceremony to take place there. They would NOT have to perform the ceremony themselves though.
Exactly! They threaten them to comply with something they don't believe in or take away their money....that is a violation of the 1st Amendment!

And we both know all it takes is the stoke of a pen to go even further than this so don't play dumb now....

Lebanon, PA

#105 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Which I can do....
I'm speaking/voting my conscience as my rights allow me to do. My beliefs are what shapes my conscience. But no one is required to believe as I do. That's the beauty of America....
As long as congress doesn't make any laws 'requiring' a certain religion be observed, no violations have taken place....
Laws created based on religious morals are also not permitted. These are normally referred to as "Blue Laws" and are currently being struck down all over the country.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#106 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
AND WHEN YOU PASS GAY MARRAIGE BANS YOU HAVE USED RELIGION TO MAKE LAW!!!!!!!!!!
How would you feel if one day the government passed a law banning all religion because enough people voted for it????????? Would you say ok guess that is ok???
As long as 'congress' does not establish a religion, no violations have happened. I can vote my beliefs in 'every' circumstance I believe necessary. Congress can't tell 'me' how to vote.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#107 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the 1st Amendment...they can't....

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#108 May 31, 2012
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws created based on religious morals are also not permitted. These are normally referred to as "Blue Laws" and are currently being struck down all over the country.
That's not what the constitution says.....

It says congress can not establish a religion, not that believers can't vote their beliefs. They are two very different things....

Lebanon, PA

#109 May 31, 2012
Speaking of predictions:

Defense of Marriage Act Struck Down by Appeals Court
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/n...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#110 May 31, 2012
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
No psychic powers are required for simple logic. Other countries have been accepting ssm for some time now and have been fine. The public perception of ssm has been getting more favorable over the past decade and since this has become an issue of civil rights it will inevitably lead to a court ruling when a couple that was married in one state wants to be recognized in another that does not allow it. Drawing a conclusion from trends towards acceptance it seems almost comical not believe this won't happen within a decade.
Other countries are fine??? Have you been watching the news...most of those countries are falling apart at the seams.....

Simple logic tells you that marriage is between one man and one woman. Simple logic tell you everything else is a lie...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#111 May 31, 2012
llDayo wrote:
Speaking of predictions:
Defense of Marriage Act Struck Down by Appeals Court
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/n...
When that says the supreme court...get back with me....
NEW

Owatonna, MN

#112 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the 1st Amendment...they can't....
Oh yes they can...If WE THE PEOPLE voted we could take away religous rights.........You said voting to take away and keep away gay rights is ok....sooooooooooo...

Oh the constitution has changed many times.....Just think if we had not allowed for changes blacks would be slaves women couldnt vote or own anything and every person in this nation could own any weapon they wanted.......IMAGINE YOUR NEIGHBOR WITH A NUKE.........

Oh and if not for constitutional changes only the rich could vote....

LUCKY WE ALLOW FOR CHANGES........

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#113 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes they can...If WE THE PEOPLE voted we could take away religous rights.........You said voting to take away and keep away gay rights is ok....sooooooooooo...
Oh the constitution has changed many times.....Just think if we had not allowed for changes blacks would be slaves women couldnt vote or own anything and every person in this nation could own any weapon they wanted.......IMAGINE YOUR NEIGHBOR WITH A NUKE.........
Oh and if not for constitutional changes only the rich could vote....
LUCKY WE ALLOW FOR CHANGES........
The strife of African Americans have absolutely NOTHING to do with ssm.

However, if you think you can eliminate freedom of religion from the constitution...go for it...LOL!!!!
voteearlyvoteoft en

Lexington Park, MD

#114 May 31, 2012
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Force your beliefs on others under the threat of bankruptcy by attacking their tax exempt status. Nice to know you wouldn't force them to perform the ceremony as well. At least not yet.....

It's really no different than the religious using the law to dictate their beliefs to you, is it?
NEW

Owatonna, MN

#115 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
The strife of African Americans have absolutely NOTHING to do with ssm.
However, if you think you can eliminate freedom of religion from the constitution...go for it...LOL!!!!
Glutony sin is mentioned over 20 times in the bible.....Greed sin in mentioned over 20 tiems in the bible....

Gay sin is mentioned maybe 5-6 times....

How come you christains dont want laws banning fat people and greedy people???????

I mean I see alot of fat slobs waddle out of church on sunday and get into there 75,000 dollar cars and drive to there huge homes....

So a bible law that is only mentioned 5-6 times is what you christains worry about when a good portion of you are fat greedy slobs?????????? And those sins combined are mentioned 40 times or more......

Come on when you christains act like your bible says you should maybe the rest of us might consider your religion more then a crutch for your hate and bigotry.......

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#116 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
Glutony sin is mentioned over 20 times in the bible.....Greed sin in mentioned over 20 tiems in the bible....
Gay sin is mentioned maybe 5-6 times....
How come you christains dont want laws banning fat people and greedy people???????
I mean I see alot of fat slobs waddle out of church on sunday and get into there 75,000 dollar cars and drive to there huge homes....
So a bible law that is only mentioned 5-6 times is what you christains worry about when a good portion of you are fat greedy slobs?????????? And those sins combined are mentioned 40 times or more......
Come on when you christains act like your bible says you should maybe the rest of us might consider your religion more then a crutch for your hate and bigotry.......
I wasn't aware we were 'banning' anyone????

You can't hold up bad behavior to justify bad behavior...doesn't work. Sorry.
NEW

Owatonna, MN

#117 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware we were 'banning' anyone????
You can't hold up bad behavior to justify bad behavior...doesn't work. Sorry.
Yes you are banning gay American citizens from being able to enter into a legal marraige contract......DONT LIE IT IS WHAT YOUR DOING.....

I am just wondering when you christains will go after the other sinners and if you will make laws to stop them from marrying???

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#118 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are banning gay American citizens from being able to enter into a legal marraige contract......DONT LIE IT IS WHAT YOUR DOING.....
I am just wondering when you christains will go after the other sinners and if you will make laws to stop them from marrying???
No, I'm not. They are free to marry someone of the opposite sex in every state.....
NEW

Owatonna, MN

#119 May 31, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not. They are free to marry someone of the opposite sex in every state.....
Yes and blacks could ride the bus in the 60,s just in the back..

I can see you are way to evil and hate the constitution so much you dont care who you hurt...TYPICAL NAZI FASCIST GOP CHRISTAIN!!!!!!!

war is coming and evil always loses..........

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#120 May 31, 2012
NEW wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and blacks could ride the bus in the 60,s just in the back..
I can see you are way to evil and hate the constitution so much you dont care who you hurt...TYPICAL NAZI FASCIST GOP CHRISTAIN!!!!!!!
war is coming and evil always loses..........
If I were you, I'd get my white flag from Walmart now....you're gonna need it....

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#121 May 31, 2012
I will never follow any laws passed under the pretense of christianity

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ACLU Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr dirtclod 141,337
News Pennsylvania city faces fiscal pain for immigra... Sat ronnie 5
News ACLU charges bias in police hiring (Aug '12) Sat villain survey 14
News Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of same-... May 14 goldstone report 4
News Panhandle sheriff targets illegal immigrant con... (Jun '07) May 11 help save my baby 7
News Civil Rights, Social Justice Groups Line Up Aga... May 10 Sneaky Pete 3
News Texas Pastors Compare Gay Marriage To Bestialit... May 6 Quest 6
More from around the web