Controversial Call: Komen Cuts Ties With Planned Parenthood

Full story: CBS Local 874
MINNEAPOLIS - Politics before health: That's what a growing number of people say of the Susan G. Komen Foundation's decision to pull grant money from Planned Parenthood. Read more
First Prev
of 44
Next Last

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1 Feb 1, 2012
There goes the races..am sure,too bad..it was a good idea for breast cancer survivors to be able to run or walk in a race and feel proud thay are alive to do so...WHAT A FREAKIN' LET-DOWN!
Wade Gustafson

Mesa, AZ

#2 Feb 1, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
There goes the races..am sure,too bad..it was a good idea for breast cancer survivors to be able to run or walk in a race and feel proud thay are alive to do so...WHAT A FREAKIN' LET-DOWN!
Why would this decision affect the Race for the Cure in any way, shape, or form?

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#3 Feb 2, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would this decision affect the Race for the Cure in any way, shape, or form?
OMG! Alot of women perhaps, take advantage of the "free breast exam screenings". These same women may just run or walk in the Komen Race in appreciation of their loyalty. As with any business,if a consumer gets a raw deal,they do not frequent that store. Their thinking along the lines of the race now, WHY? Waste my Saturday morning...when I could play in thepark with my kids or a weekend retreat with my honey.
Patty Pimento

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 2, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>OMG! Alot of women perhaps, take advantage of the "free breast exam screenings". These same women may just run or walk in the Komen Race in appreciation of their loyalty. As with any business,if a consumer gets a raw deal,they do not frequent that store. Their thinking along the lines of the race now, WHY? Waste my Saturday morning...when I could play in thepark with my kids or a weekend retreat with my honey.
This doesn't affect the race for the cure one bit! It was a wise business decision by Koman, their donors found out about their money being funneled to the largest abortion provider in the country and they didn't like it.
This doesn't affect Minnesota at all since none of the money went to PP of Mn. And since the taxpayers ARE forced to fund PP they have plenty of money and will continue the free breast exams.
The only ones openly complaining about this are Planned Parenthood.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#5 Feb 2, 2012
a) As of late last night, over $400,000 was donated to PP *directly* by people over just a few hours. This is *more* than what Komen gives to PP annually.

b) Komen now stands to lose millions of dollars in donations from people since Komen decided that its okay if poor people die from breast cancer. Many people are no longer donating to Komen. They are simply donating directly to PP. That way the money can be used to help poor women get mammographies and other breast health assistance WITHOUT Komen taking their 21% cut.

c) The bottom line is: PP is now getting more $$$ than ever before.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#6 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
a) As of late last night, over $400,000 was donated to PP *directly* by people over just a few hours. This is *more* than what Komen gives to PP annually.
b) Komen now stands to lose millions of dollars in donations from people since Komen decided that its okay if poor people die from breast cancer. Many people are no longer donating to Komen. They are simply donating directly to PP. That way the money can be used to help poor women get mammographies and other breast health assistance WITHOUT Komen taking their 21% cut.
That's a temporary influx of money to PP. Kormen obviously had more to lose by being associated with pp, the largest provider of abortions and the destruction of unborn babies than to wisely separate from it.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#7 Feb 2, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a temporary influx of money to PP. Kormen obviously had more to lose by being associated with pp, the largest provider of abortions and the destruction of unborn babies than to wisely separate from it.
Incorrect.

Besides, I'm at a loss as to why people like you applaud the loss of funding for health services for poor women. Fortunately educated people know better, and will increase their support to PP directly, cutting out the middle-man (Komen).

Komen is going to lose huge amounts of support this way.

Oh well.
Room One Oh One

Lithia Springs, GA

#8 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Besides, I'm at a loss as to why people like you applaud the loss of funding for health services for poor women. Fortunately educated people know better, and will increase their support to PP directly, cutting out the middle-man (Komen).
Oh well.
Komen is pretty savvy though. It'll hurt them short term but they've got a lot of momentum behind their marketing. Yup, the educated folks aren't going to be as ready to support Komen sponsored events but there's not enough negative spin to seriously hurt them long term.

It is a real shame though.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#9 Feb 2, 2012
Room One Oh One wrote:
<quoted text>
Komen is pretty savvy though. It'll hurt them short term but they've got a lot of momentum behind their marketing. Yup, the educated folks aren't going to be as ready to support Komen sponsored events but there's not enough negative spin to seriously hurt them long term.
It is a real shame though.
We'll see. Yes, it is a real shame.

Fortunately -*the* most important outcome, actually - PP will not be impacted. Poor women who don't have means to get mammographies will still be able to do so, since private donations will increase.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#10 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Oh well.
I think you are under the misconception that people donate to Kormen because they support pp. In fact many people don't donate or participate because of that relationship. They will do better now. They are not stupid.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#11 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
And seeing Minnesota PP never got any money from them to begin with, it is non issue! Why are the abortionist trying to make it one
boris

Akron, OH

#12 Feb 2, 2012
abortion kills humans

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#13 Feb 2, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are under the misconception that people donate to Kormen because they support pp. In fact many people don't donate or participate because of that relationship. They will do better now. They are not stupid.
a) Could you please attempt to spell the Foundation's name properly? It's KOMEN.

b) Your analysis is flawed. Many people donated to Komen because of the work they do. I imagine that many were unaware that they doanted to PP. Now that the funding has been pulled, the people who were previously unaware will vacate in protest. Sure, people like you might decide to donate, but many, many people will not.

c) Also, don't forget, they are presumably (hah) withdrawing funding because PP is under investigation. Once it is no longer under investigation, funding to PP will be restored. So, please feel free to donate away. Your money will eventually go to PP, and PP will also have increased direct donations. It's a win-win for poor women.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#14 Feb 2, 2012
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>And seeing Minnesota PP never got any money from them to begin with, it is non issue! Why are the abortionist trying to make it one
Uh, maybe because there is more to this world than just Minnesota?

Just a thought!
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#15 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
a) Could you please attempt to spell the Foundation's name properly? It's KOMEN.
b) Your analysis is flawed. Many people donated to Komen because of the work they do. I imagine that many were unaware that they doanted to PP. Now that the funding has been pulled, the people who were previously unaware will vacate in protest. Sure, people like you might decide to donate, but many, many people will not.
c) Also, don't forget, they are presumably (hah) withdrawing funding because PP is under investigation. Once it is no longer under investigation, funding to PP will be restored. So, please feel free to donate away. Your money will eventually go to PP, and PP will also have increased direct donations. It's a win-win for poor women.
a KOMEN
b People will vacate an organization dedicated to the prevention and cure of breast cancer because of their lack of a relationship with an abortion provider. Is that what you are saying?
c pp will be under investigation for a long time and probably end up in court eventually.

“...sigh”

Smithtown, NY

#16 Feb 2, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
a KOMEN
b People will vacate an organization dedicated to the prevention and cure of breast cancer because of their lack of a relationship with an abortion provider. Is that what you are saying?
c pp will be under investigation for a long time and probably end up in court eventually.
a) Bully for you.

b) Educated people know that PP is MUCH more than *just* an abortion provider. Abortions are only 3% of their services AND many PPs don't even provide abortions.

c) Dream on, toots.

Since: Jan 12

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 2, 2012
The problem isn't that Komen cut ties with PP, the problem is Komen partnering with PP to begin with. Money raised through Komen activities is advertised as going to research for cures for cancer. If Komen wanted to earmark a portion of earnings to do mammograms and screenings, that's fine. But they could have donated to any clinic that provides mammograms and/or breast cancer screenings. Breast cancer shouldn't be political.

Finally, PP raises funds of about $85 million a year. I find it hard to believe that PP will have to stop breast cancer screenings without Komen's $700K.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18 Feb 2, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, maybe because there is more to this world than just Minnesota?
Just a thought!
DUH doesn't answer my question, but I really didn't expect one!
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

#19 Feb 2, 2012
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>DUH doesn't answer my question, but I really didn't expect one!
Funny you got that from the sentences she wrote. Probably you and your abortion rhetoric.
God hates religion

Long Beach, CA

#20 Feb 2, 2012
As a life-long conservative I think it's well past the time when people get out of other people's business. Abortion is legal and let those that want one have one.

Keep God out of this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 44
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard (Jun '11) 1 hr Mr T 390
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Pearl Jam 309,289
News Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's F... (Sep '12) 7 hr cpeter1313 5,621
News Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 13 hr kent 219,858
News Pelosi irks some allies with bipartisan bill Sun Slamabambam 2
News Arizona Legislature OKs abortion medication req... Mar 28 SirPrize 10
News Right to life protesters march in Ruidoso Mar 28 Mr T 4
9 reasons abortion MUST remain legal. (Sep '07) Mar 25 heavenisreal 1,414
More from around the web