Hundreds call to adopt Down syndrome ...

Hundreds call to adopt Down syndrome baby, save it from abortion

Posted in the Abortion Forum

Deborah

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 11, 2013
By Annie Z. Yu - The Washington Times Tuesday, July 9, 2013

When the Rev. Thomas Vander Woude learned about a young couple planning to abort their unborn baby that had been diagnosed with Down syndrome, the priest reached out and offered a deal: Deliver the child and he would help find an appropriate adoptive family.
But he had to act fast.

The woman, who has not been identified for her privacy and her protection, was just shy of six months pregnant and lives in a state that prohibits abortions past 24 weeks — which meant he had a short time to find a family willing to make a lifelong commitment.

So Father Vander Woude, the lead pastor at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Gainesville, Va., approached a volunteer who helped manage the church's social media pages, and she posted an urgent plea on Facebook early Monday morning.

"There is a couple in another state who have contacted an adoption agency looking for a family to adopt their Down Syndrome unborn baby. If a couple has not been found by today they plan to abort the baby. If you are interested in adopting this baby please contact Fr. VW IMMEDIATELY," the post read. "We are asking all to pray for this baby and the wisdom that this couple realize the importance of human life and do not abort this beautiful gift from God."

The post asked people to call the church's office after 9:30 a.m. Monday or to email Father Vander Woude.

No one expected the response they received.

"When we got in and opened up around 9:30, it was nearly nonstop. All day long, we were receiving phone calls from people who wanted to adopt the baby," church staff member Martha Drennan said. "Father Vander Woude has gotten over 900 emails in regard to the baby."

The offers were narrowed to three families, which the unborn child's parents are reviewing with the help of an adoption agency.

Ms. Drennan said the church received phone calls from all over the United States and around the world, including from England, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands.

"I think it is a wonderful use of social media, that word can so quickly get all over the country and even to foreign countries and that the people who see the value of life are stepping up and saying,'I will take that baby and raise that baby as mine,'" Ms. Drennan said. "It was a beautiful witness all day long that so many people wanted this child and believed in the dignity of that child — Down syndrome or not."

The president and founder of the International Down Syndrome Coalition, Diane Grover, stressed the importance of informing couples who are considering abortion for babies with Down syndrome that adoption is a viable option, pointing to the fast and overwhelming response her organization received about this one unborn child as an amazing example.

"When [couples are] in that position, a lot of people wonder if their child [with Down syndrome] would actually get adopted," Ms. Grover said. "There's a lot of people waiting, and we are happy to always help."

David Dufresne, a seminary student who plans to become a priest next year, volunteered to help the overwhelmed church staff take calls.

"I was taking calls for about three hours straight, just talking to people who are willing to adopt this little baby they never knew about until that morning," Mr. Dufresne said. "I mean, all day long, just receiving phone calls from people who were so generous and within a couple minutes made a life-changing decision. I was really inspired by the goodness of people and what they would do to save a life."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#2 Jul 11, 2013
Deborah wrote:
By Annie Z. Yu - The Washington Times Tuesday, July 9, 2013
When the Rev. Thomas Vander Woude learned about a young couple planning to abort their unborn baby that had been diagnosed with Down syndrome, the priest reached out and offered a deal: Deliver the child and he would help find an appropriate adoptive family.
But he had to act fast.
The woman, who has not been identified for her privacy and her protection, was just shy of six months pregnant and lives in a state that prohibits abortions past 24 weeks — which meant he had a short time to find a family willing to make a lifelong commitment.
So Father Vander Woude, the lead pastor at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Gainesville, Va., approached a volunteer who helped manage the church's social media pages, and she posted an urgent plea on Facebook early Monday morning.
"There is a couple in another state who have contacted an adoption agency looking for a family to adopt their Down Syndrome unborn baby. If a couple has not been found by today they plan to abort the baby. If you are interested in adopting this baby please contact Fr. VW IMMEDIATELY," the post read. "We are asking all to pray for this baby and the wisdom that this couple realize the importance of human life and do not abort this beautiful gift from God."
The post asked people to call the church's office after 9:30 a.m. Monday or to email Father Vander Woude.
No one expected the response they received.
"When we got in and opened up around 9:30, it was nearly nonstop. All day long, we were receiving phone calls from people who wanted to adopt the baby," church staff member Martha Drennan said. "Father Vander Woude has gotten over 900 emails in regard to the baby."
The offers were narrowed to three families, which the unborn child's parents are reviewing with the help of an adoption agency.
Ms. Drennan said the church received phone calls from all over the United States and around the world, including from England, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands.
"I think it is a wonderful use of social media, that word can so quickly get all over the country and even to foreign countries and that the people who see the value of life are stepping up and saying,'I will take that baby and raise that baby as mine,'" Ms. Drennan said. "It was a beautiful witness all day long that so many people wanted this child and believed in the dignity of that child — Down syndrome or not."
The president and founder of the International Down Syndrome Coalition, Diane Grover, stressed the importance of informing couples who are considering abortion for babies with Down syndrome that adoption is a viable option, pointing to the fast and overwhelming response her organization received about this one unborn child as an amazing example.
"When [couples are] in that position, a lot of people wonder if their child [with Down syndrome] would actually get adopted," Ms. Grover said. "There's a lot of people waiting, and we are happy to always help."
David Dufresne, a seminary student who plans to become a priest next year, volunteered to help the overwhelmed church staff take calls.
"I was taking calls for about three hours straight, just talking to people who are willing to adopt this little baby they never knew about until that morning," Mr. Dufresne said. "I mean, all day long, just receiving phone calls from people who were so generous and within a couple minutes made a life-changing decision. I was really inspired by the goodness of people and what they would do to save a life."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/...
I am super confused now.

For years, I've been told that pro-life people don't care about the kid after it's born, and likewise informed that if they really believe what they say that they'd adopt kids who would otherwise be aborted.

What the heck? Could those folks have just been blowing rhetorical smoke all this time?
Deborah

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jul 11, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am super confused now.
For years, I've been told that pro-life people don't care about the kid after it's born, and likewise informed that if they really believe what they say that they'd adopt kids who would otherwise be aborted.
What the heck? Could those folks have just been blowing rhetorical smoke all this time?
You might want to bookmark this article to rebut the hundreds of "Pro-lifers ought to adopt babies!!!!" iterations from the legions of willfully misinformed Topix smoke blowers.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/... -- Hundreds call to adopt Down syndrome baby, save it from abortion

“CRITICAL THINKING -- try it.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#4 Jul 11, 2013
Deborah wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to bookmark this article to rebut the hundreds of "Pro-lifers ought to adopt babies!!!!" iterations from the legions of willfully misinformed Topix smoke blowers.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/... -- Hundreds call to adopt Down syndrome baby, save it from abortion
This is great. Unfortunately, there are thousands of children that nobody wants. Perhaps some of those "hundreds" would be interested in one of these kids:

http://www.adoptuskids.org/_app/child/searchp...
Deborah

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jul 11, 2013
C Hamilton wrote:
<quoted text>This is great. Unfortunately, there are thousands of children that nobody wants. Perhaps some of those "hundreds" would be interested in one of these kids:
And "hundreds" of pro-choicers should be interested, too, right?

Unless someone concedes to being truly pro-abortion (i.e., she expects women to always have abortions), then the true pro-choicers are obligated to adopt the children as well.

After all, if one claims to be pro-CHOICE and women freely CHOOSE life instead of abortion, then the same caregiving obligation falls on pro-lifers and pro-choicers alike. Both sides should honor the choice and be equally ready to assist the woman who made it.

“CRITICAL THINKING -- try it.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#6 Jul 12, 2013
Deborah wrote:
<quoted text>
And "hundreds" of pro-choicers should be interested, too, right?
Unless someone concedes to being truly pro-abortion (i.e., she expects women to always have abortions), then the true pro-choicers are obligated to adopt the children as well.
After all, if one claims to be pro-CHOICE and women freely CHOOSE life instead of abortion, then the same caregiving obligation falls on pro-lifers and pro-choicers alike. Both sides should honor the choice and be equally ready to assist the woman who made it.
Why would any person who chooses NOT to have children be obligated to adopt -- regardless of whether they're PC or PL? My point is that if there are "hundreds" of PL (or anyone else) that want to adopt, why aren't they adopting some of these kids when there are THOUSANDS available ans waiting?
Deborah

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jul 12, 2013
C Hamilton wrote:
<quoted text>Why would any person who chooses NOT to have children be obligated to adopt -- regardless of whether they're PC or PL? My point is that if there are "hundreds" of PL (or anyone else) that want to adopt, why aren't they adopting some of these kids when there are THOUSANDS available ans waiting?
Many pro-lifers are already adopting. I'd bet that more pro-lifers are adopting kids than pro-choicers are. But let’s assume, for the sake of argument, that pro-lifers are not already adopting "enough" (by some nameless "authority's" subjective standard) unwanted children. How would this in any way justify the act of dismembering a defenseless child? That's Margaret Sanger-like "reasoning": "If a kid might spend part of her life waiting to be adopted or placed in a foster home, it would have been better if she'd been killed in the womb."

More organizations -- like Catholic Charities -- that take care of kids are pro-life than pro-choice. I've worked with kids at (Catholic) St. Joseph's Home for Children in south Minneapolis. Name any shelters or homes or hospitals or rehab centers or schools that are run by Planned Parenthood or NARAL or the National Abortion Federation.

Helen Alvare notes:

"John Cardinal O’Connor, the late Archbishop of New York, famously pledged to assist any woman from anywhere experiencing a crisis pregnancy, and the current Archbishop of New York, Timothy Dolan, recently renewed Cardinal O’Connor’s pledge. The Catholic Church—perhaps the single most influential pro-life institution in the United States—makes the largest financial, institutional and personnel commitments to charitable causes of any private source in the United States. These include AIDS ministry, health care, education, housing services, and care for the elderly, disabled, and immigrants.

" In 2004 alone, 562 Catholic hospitals treated over 85 million patients; Catholic elementary and high schools educated over 2 million students; Catholic colleges educated nearly 800,000 students; Catholic Charities served over eight-and-a-half million different individuals. In 2007, the Catholic Campaign for Human Development awarded nine million dollars in grants to reduce poverty. And in 2009, the Catholic Legal Immigration Network spent nearly five million dollars in services for impoverished immigrants.

"The Catholic Church is far from the only pro-life religious group that assists the needy. At the Manhattan Bible Church, a pro-life church in New York since 1973, Pastor Bill Devlin and his congregation run a soup kitchen that has served over a million people and a K-8 school that has educated 90,000 needy students. Pastor Devlin and other church families have adopted scores of babies, and taken in scores of pregnant women, including some who were both drug-addicted and HIV positive. The church runs a one-hundred-and-fifty bed residential drug rehabilitation center and a prison ministry at Rikers Island. All told, the church runs some forty ministries, and all without a government dime.

"No major pro-abortion group or institution has taken on a comparable commitment to vulnerable Americans. Pregnancy resource centers devote significant resources to supporting women who have already decided to have an abortion, but abortion advocates offer no similar support to women who wish to continue their pregnancies. Indeed, they often devote their resources to shutting down the services provided by pro-lifers. NARAL Pro-Choice America reports spending twenty thousand dollars on “crisis pregnancy centers” in Maryland in order to “investigate” and publicly smear such centers for demonstrating a bias for life.(One might point out that the same bias once motivated the entire medical profession.)"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 36 min Freedomofexpression 316,367
News US court rules Arkansas can block Planned Paren... Sun Red Crosse 19
News Woman had 15 abortions over 17 years (Oct '09) Sun Choicerocks 5
My girlfriend wants an abortion And I dont (Apr '11) Sat Choicerocks 66
News Ousted chief justice makes runoff in Alabama Se... Aug 17 anonymous 3
News Texas set to restrict insurance coverage for ab... Aug 14 waco1909 10
Pro life for women Aug 13 Estelle 64
More from around the web