Woman dies in Ireland after being denied an abortion

Nov 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBC News

The debate over legalizing abortion in Ireland flared Wednesday after the government confirmed a miscarrying woman suffering from blood poisoning was refused a quick termination of her pregnancy and died in an Irish hospital.

Comments
81 - 100 of 326 Comments Last updated Dec 14, 2012
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

You cannot put Ireland and abortion in the same sentence!
jason norris

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
To be sucked would be to get near my teeth.
In your case a tiny nip with a none canine tooth would render you a eunuch.
sorry, my error, you are obviously a licker.

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

jason norris wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry, my error, you are obviously a licker.
Obviously you are unaware that the tongue is located in the same location as the teeth. Perhaps you need a road map of the human anatomy? I doubt you could find your butt with both hands.
mick rock

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
Yes I do understand that some women are anti abortion, they do us all a disservice just as the anti abortion men. I also believe that the bulk of these people are under the influence of a ridiculous mythology that reduces women to second class citizenry and gods private vessels, free will goes out the window. The fact that these people cannot recognize this is a problem. The 100% blame I am giving is to male based mythologies that deem men superior and women as submissive and subservient. You cannot deny this, it is quite clear and evident in the text/s for those who have bothered to read. I will also blame "men" who on the majority in government/religion wish to emphasize these concepts through law.
I believe women should have the entire say over their body and well being, call it on tap if you wish. I believe that RvW to be correct and just law. I cannot understand the brain function of another that would deny women this freedom that men so enjoy. Pregnancy, like it or not IS a medical/physical condition that changes a womans entire body, it requires her entire body. Male based religions has meddled in the medical field with its superstition far to long.
I hope this clarifies my point/s.
Truthfully I enjoy a good argument from the experts in in debate (and BS)....the Irish. As my father always liked to say...the Irish fight amongst themselves as there is no other worthy opponent.
Speaking of dad.....he was pro choice and entirely in favor of womens rights, his daughter had to help him a long the way to recognize his stance :) as we battled these issues and were each others sounding board. I miss him. If you believe I am anti male....think again. I ADORED my father. I am the individual, independent woman HE helped to create.
We have further to go with women and human rights.
We have a thousand years or more of backwards mythologies that bares its ugly head in governing the people.
MORGANA you should visit scotland,where the men are hard but get bullied by the women,on a lighter not can you cook ! only joking
jason norris

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are unaware that the tongue is located in the same location as the teeth. Perhaps you need a road map of the human anatomy? I doubt you could find your butt with both hands.
referring to you of course. Take it you know what sex you are, or perhaps you are one of the new yanks, anything goes and to hell with morals. I would say only you are a lost soul, probably brought up correctly and now subject to a dose of penis envy. In Mexico you could, if you can afford it, get a strapadicktome operation. But then you will still be a lost soul.
Put on the apron,bake a blueberry and apple tart, make a man happy. Bare your feet if you wish, before you get into bed make sure that you are all sexed up. Enjoy.

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>MORGANA you should visit scotland,where the men are hard but get bullied by the women,on a lighter not can you cook ! only joking
It would be a pleasure to visit England, Ireland and Scotland. The history and medieval architect (castles) interest me. Not sure if I would be able to understand a word in Scotland. Ever see this clip of Robin Williams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Yes I can cook.....when I feel like it!:)

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

jason norris wrote:
<quoted text>
referring to you of course. Take it you know what sex you are, or perhaps you are one of the new yanks, anything goes and to hell with morals. I would say only you are a lost soul, probably brought up correctly and now subject to a dose of penis envy. In Mexico you could, if you can afford it, get a strapadicktome operation. But then you will still be a lost soul.
Put on the apron,bake a blueberry and apple tart, make a man happy. Bare your feet if you wish, before you get into bed make sure that you are all sexed up. Enjoy.
Morals based on what?

Do they have "traffic" in Liverpool? Perhaps you should go play in it?
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
So, to you consider progression and "freedom" "losing the way"? What way exactly?
Great question, which I have yet to see the right-wing kooks answer. From what I have seen, they always resort to lame insults because they have NOTHING else.

Personally, I think these guys are really angry because the world has gone on without them. Women have rights now, including the right NOT to have children if they don't want to be mothers, which pisses them off something awful. Other minorities have rights as well, which also makes them angry.

I also think that if these guys had THEIR way, this world wouldn't have progressed beyond the 19th century, where women had NO rights and it was even legal to beat their wives. Well, too bad for them. Women AREN'T going back to those days, so they need to get used to it.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
Morals based on what?
Do they have "traffic" in Liverpool? Perhaps you should go play in it?
Remember, Morgana, these guys are hopelessly STUCK IN THE PAST, by at least four decades, if not two or more centuries.

As far as I'M concerned, nothing these anti-choice imbeciles like "Jason" say is worth taking seriously. He obviously thinks women should stay in the kitchen and bedroom and nowhere else.
DrJackson

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great question, which I have yet to see the right-wing kooks answer. From what I have seen, they always resort to lame insults because they have NOTHING else.
Personally, I think these guys are really angry because the world has gone on without them. Women have rights now, including the right NOT to have children if they don't want to be mothers, which pisses them off something awful. Other minorities have rights as well, which also makes them angry.
I also think that if these guys had THEIR way, this world wouldn't have progressed beyond the 19th century, where women had NO rights and it was even legal to beat their wives. Well, too bad for them. Women AREN'T going back to those days, so they need to get used to it.
you are so right,a woman having the right to murder her unborn baby in the womb is a true indicator of a civilized world
gibbs

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, Morgana, these guys are hopelessly STUCK IN THE PAST, by at least four decades, if not two or more centuries.
As far as I'M concerned, nothing these anti-choice imbeciles like "Jason" say is worth taking seriously. He obviously thinks women should stay in the kitchen and bedroom and nowhere else.
"From what I have seen, they always resort to lame insults because they have NOTHING else."
"nothing these anti-choice imbeciles"
"right-wing kooks"

not very self aware are you?
research the word "ironic"
jason norris

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
correct. A womans place is in the home. Why? the women is the most important figure in the home, especially when children are involved. Believe it or not, women can have children, men cannot have children. I know this sounds strange to our yankee friends who can make everything , especially in make believe, but the woman should be in the house and the man out earning the money to keep the house and family.
Old fashioned, but it works.
The funniest thing you ever will see is a woman driving a mechanically propelled vehicle. They have not got a clue.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
Yes I do understand that some women are anti abortion, they do us all a disservice just as the anti abortion men. I also believe that the bulk of these people are under the influence of a ridiculous mythology that reduces women to second class citizenry and gods private vessels, free will goes out the window. The fact that these people cannot recognize this is a problem. The 100% blame I am giving is to male based mythologies that deem men superior and women as submissive and subservient. You cannot deny this, it is quite clear and evident in the text/s for those who have bothered to read. I will also blame "men" who on the majority in government/religion wish to emphasize these concepts through law.
I believe women should have the entire say over their body and well being, call it on tap if you wish. I believe that RvW to be correct and just law. I cannot understand the brain function of another that would deny women this freedom that men so enjoy. Pregnancy, like it or not IS a medical/physical condition that changes a womans entire body, it requires her entire body. Male based religions has meddled in the medical field with its superstition far to long.
I hope this clarifies my point/s.
Truthfully I enjoy a good argument from the experts in in debate (and BS)....the Irish. As my father always liked to say...the Irish fight amongst themselves as there is no other worthy opponent.
Speaking of dad.....he was pro choice and entirely in favor of womens rights, his daughter had to help him a long the way to recognize his stance :) as we battled these issues and were each others sounding board. I miss him. If you believe I am anti male....think again. I ADORED my father. I am the individual, independent woman HE helped to create.
We have further to go with women and human rights.
We have a thousand years or more of backwards mythologies that bares its ugly head in governing the people.
I agree that some people who are pro-life may be spurred on by those notions. Although some liberal minded people are also pro-life for other reasons. I just don't agree with mass abortion. I don't agree with women having 3 or 4 abortions, I see that as selfish and irresponsible. That is the main thing I am in opposition to. I can understand in certain circumstances people getting an abortion. However I personally think that if abortion isn't fully legalised it leads to more responsible thinking among people with regards to contraception etc. This can only be a good thing for a range of reasons.

I agree that pregnancy is a medical condition that women have to go through. Thats all the more reason for both men and women to be very responsible about contraception. Of course no contraception is 100%, but if it is used responsibly it usually means there will be no pregnancy.

Thanks for telling me that. Good to hear you had a good relationship with your father. You seem like a nice person and I'm sorry if I came across in an offensive manner I was just having a bad day.

I am all for womens rights and human rights and I don't believe in discrimination against people. Yes I am worried about the changing ethnic demographics in Europe because I want native European ethnic groups to survive, but I don't think anyone else should be discriminated against. I suppose that is a different discussion for a different day.

Since: Mar 12

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The Global Gender Gap Report is an annual report carried out by the World Economic Forum in alliance with international organisations such as the UN. The report measures inequality between men and women in 135 countries and tells us what countries are the best and worst for gender equality.
Four specific areas are explored
1) Economic Participation and Opportunity
2) Educational Attainment
3) Political Empowerment
4) Health and Survival
Ireland is ranked the 5th best country in the world for gender equality.
The USA is ranked 22nd.
The UK is ranked 18th.
So Ocean and Morgana, there it is. Ireland has better gender equality than the USA.
So Irish women as second class citizens? Islamic countries being compared to Ireland? Irish women having to ''stand up''? It would now appear that America has more difficulties than Ireland when it comes to gender inequality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Gender_Ga...
:)
Please stop brandishing 'islamic countries' as an excuse for everything wrong that happens over here.(most islamuic countries do allow therapeutic terminations by the way)

I lived in Northern Ireland for a while with regular stays in Eire. I did enjoy life there but I do not still approve the local options regarding reproductive medicine.
mick rock

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a pleasure to visit England, Ireland and Scotland. The history and medieval architect (castles) interest me. Not sure if I would be able to understand a word in Scotland. Ever see this clip of Robin Williams?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Yes I can cook.....when I feel like it!:)
MORGANA there is not one single person in scotland i have ever met speaks like that and see all that disney crap about the film brave,good for the kids but not in the slightest anywhere near the scotland i know,anyway back to original point,the females i have met in scotland and there have many i may add dont get pushed around mentally or physically by anyone

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Tigerrlily wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop brandishing 'islamic countries' as an excuse for everything wrong that happens over here.(most islamuic countries do allow therapeutic terminations by the way)
I lived in Northern Ireland for a while with regular stays in Eire. I did enjoy life there but I do not still approve the local options regarding reproductive medicine.
Other people were going on about Islamic countrie and Ireland. Read the comments.

I was replying to them.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

DrJackson wrote:
you are so right,a woman having the right to murder her unborn baby in the womb is a true indicator of a civilized world
No matter how much you whine about abortion, a woman DOES have the right to decide for HERSELF whether or not to continue a pregnancy. To me, that IS a true indicator of a progressive country. Living in a religion-dominated country and having a bunch of backward-thinking church clerics making our sexual and reproductive decisions FOR women is repressive. Thank goodness I don't live in such a country.

Whether YOU like it or not, motherhood is OPTIONAL, not required, even if a pregnancy has happens. That means a woman can opt OUT of motherhood if she doesn't want pregnancy or children. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision, simple as that.

Some women prefer not to be mothers, for their own personal reasons, such as having a good CAREER instead. Of course, there are the ultra-conservative extremists who still have the backward belief that a woman's ONLY purpose is to get pregnant and raise kids...and be little more than an unpaid domestic servant. Luckily for all of us, we don't have to run our lives by what they believe.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

jason norris wrote:
correct. A womans place is in the home. Why? the women is the most important figure in the home, especially when children are involved. Believe it or not, women can have children, men cannot have children. I know this sounds strange to our yankee friends who can make everything , especially in make believe, but the woman should be in the house and the man out earning the money to keep the house and family.
Old fashioned, but it works.
That's your rather 19th-century BELIEF, which isn't a fact. I decide for MYSELF what my "place" will be, and it certainly won't be confined to the home. Such an existence would be akin to living in prison, even though I never broke any laws. To put it bluntly, screw that.

If some women prefer marrying some guy who still has such backward beliefs about women, that's THEIR choice. It will never be mine. I'm very glad I live in a country which ISN'T dominated by one religion or another, and I have the right to decide for myself in all sexual and reproductive matters. That includes when or IF a woman wants to be a mother, and how many children SHE wants to have. Don't like it? Too bad, pal, it ISN'T up to you.
jason norris

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how much you whine about abortion, a woman DOES have the right to decide for HERSELF whether or not to continue a pregnancy. To me, that IS a true indicator of a progressive country. Living in a religion-dominated country and having a bunch of backward-thinking church clerics making our sexual and reproductive decisions FOR women is repressive. Thank goodness I don't live in such a country.
Whether YOU like it or not, motherhood is OPTIONAL, not required, even if a pregnancy has happens. That means a woman can opt OUT of motherhood if she doesn't want pregnancy or children. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision, simple as that.
Some women prefer not to be mothers, for their own personal reasons, such as having a good CAREER instead. Of course, there are the ultra-conservative extremists who still have the backward belief that a woman's ONLY purpose is to get pregnant and raise kids...and be little more than an unpaid domestic servant. Luckily for all of us, we don't have to run our lives by what they believe.
unlucky for you, you mean. Broken families, loss of morals etc etc, but that is the great USA today. A ruderless ship with no guiding star. All really down to lack of good parental upbringing, with morals.
Now, away back to your Disneyland make believe dreams.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Ocean

Ireland has better gender equality than the USA.

What do you make of that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••