Woman dies in Ireland after being den...

Woman dies in Ireland after being denied an abortion

There are 326 comments on the CBC News story from Nov 14, 2012, titled Woman dies in Ireland after being denied an abortion. In it, CBC News reports that:

The debate over legalizing abortion in Ireland flared Wednesday after the government confirmed a miscarrying woman suffering from blood poisoning was refused a quick termination of her pregnancy and died in an Irish hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

rio

Bromley, UK

#314 Dec 6, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. If a woman or man knows she/he doesn't ever want children, that has to be made very clear from the beginning of a relationship. It's a huge mistake to assume his/her partner will just go along with the childfree choice without ever discussing it prior to marriage. Too many men and women go into marriage with the "kids or no kids" issue not even being addressed, let alone resolved. The result of that is usually divorce.
It's much better for couples to agree on remaining childfree long before even considering marriage, let alone getting married. If one partner wants children and the other partner does not, I think it's best to simply END the relationship. There's no way to "compromise" on having children. You (speaking generally in this case) either want them or you don't. NO CHILDREN means just that.
Sometimes, people can be deceitful too. About 30 years ago, a friend of mine met a woman and got engaged. From the outset, he told her he didn't want children, and she seemed to go along with that. About 3 months before the marriage, he announced to her that he was booked in hospital for a vasectomy. She became furious and broke up the engagement! It just prove that some people think you can change your mind.
Ocean56

AOL

#315 Dec 7, 2012
rio wrote:
Sometimes, people can be deceitful too. About 30 years ago, a friend of mine met a woman and got engaged. From the outset, he told her he didn't want children, and she seemed to go along with that. About 3 months before the marriage, he announced to her that he was booked in hospital for a vasectomy. She became furious and broke up the engagement! It just prove that some people think you can change your mind.
Agreed, there are people who are deceitful, who believe they can get a childfree person, man or woman, to change his/her mind after marriage. In your friend's case, I think this woman actually did him a huge favor in the long run by breaking the engagement. That way, he didn't have to spend a lot of money on a divorce later on.:-)
Brown Girl in the Ring

UK

#316 Dec 8, 2012
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's the same reason why I'm teaching my 9 year old daughter, from now, that she's NEVER to depend on any man; NEVER to cling to any man; to ALWAYS depend on no one but herself, and of course, to get an education and not get married until her late 20's or preferably, her early 30's.
At the rate we're going, there may not be much of a planet left for her kids to enjoy and I certainly hope I've been cremated by then.
You and Rio are exceptions to the norm most men assume that women aspire to be married with a couple of kids and have a labrador thrown in for good measure and whilst that may be true for a majority of women these same guys when choosing a partner want someone who is interesting and has a career (in addition to the other things if course)!

I've seen women return to work from maternity leave and it really is tragic. Being separared from they're baby for the first time they're unhappy, tired and dont want to be there, they're anxious because baby was crying hysterically when being dropped off at the nursery, they struggle to manage their time so that they can leave on the dot to catch the train home and having to take time off because baby's unwell etc. Even with both parents working things are so difficult now and childcare is not cheap! So unless yr royalty or extremely rich with an around the clock supply of servants its difficult to see how an ordinary couple could have their happy ever after. The irony is because things are so much harder people now have fewer choices.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#317 Dec 9, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrary to what regressive religionists like you BELIEVE (beliefs aren't facts, remember), women have other purposes in life besides motherhood. If a woman knows she doesn't like or want children, she is making the wise and RESPONSIBLE decision not to have them.
I will tell you what I believe instead of you telling me what I believe. I think a woman's choice to not have children is fine. In fact many self absorbed self consummed women should certainly not have chidren. I just don't think it is the end of her life if she does have children.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#318 Dec 9, 2012
SPD wrote:
<quoted text>
wow! self satisfied obnoxious prat, would not start to cover it.
He wouldn't see it that way.

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#319 Dec 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I will tell you what I believe instead of you telling me what I believe. I think a woman's choice to not have children is fine. In fact many self absorbed self consummed women should certainly not have chidren. I just don't think it is the end of her life if she does have children.
Why are women who decide not to have children self absorbed or self consumed? Another woman hating moment for you? Do you judge men as harshly? Why do you limit women?

I know a number of women who decided not to have children who use their child free time for other humanitarian causes.
Ocean56

AOL

#320 Dec 10, 2012
Ink wrote:
I will tell you what I believe instead of you telling me what I believe. I think a woman's choice to not have children is fine. In fact many self absorbed self consummed women should certainly not have children. I just don't think it is the end of her life if she does have children.
Women who choose to be childFREE would probably disagree with your last statement. That's why they consciously choose NOT to have children, not that it's any of YOUR business.

Personally, the LAST thing I want in life is to have more children, as I am very happy being DONE after one. For me, pregnancy was a miserable experience, complete with a long period of morning sickness, and other health complications thrown in. DS and I are very lucky we both made it through the process, and I have NO desire or intention to endure it again. I can honestly say that for me, PREGNANCY SUCKS, which is why I am very grateful for the reliable contraception that has kept me pregnancy-FREE for the last 15+ years. I so love NOT being pregnant.
Ocean56

AOL

#321 Dec 10, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
Why are women who decide not to have children self absorbed or self consumed? Another woman hating moment for you? Do you judge men as harshly? Why do you limit women?
Personally, I think that in the minds of militant religionists like inky, it is anathema that a woman would deliberately CHOOSE not to have children. So they keep trying to guilt childfree women by saying they are "self-absorbed," "self-consumed," and even worse, hoping these women will feel guilty enough to change their minds.

Even though I have just ONE child by choice, some nosy parkers tried to pressure me into having "just one more." I politely -- and in some cases not so politely -- refused. I found it rather amusing that in all cases, the pressure to "have just one more" came from moms with two, three, or even more kids.:-)
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#323 Dec 11, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a number of women who decided not to have children who use their child free time for other humanitarian causes.
I am not limiting women. I think they can do it all, although maybe not all at the same time. I do dislike self absorbed self consummed women who try to say that only uneducated underachievers want to have kids and actually raise them. That, I think is judgemental and even hateful. I am not opposed to women not having children at all and using their humanitarian skills elsewhere. We need humanitarians.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#324 Dec 11, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I think that in the minds of militant religionists like inky, it is anathema that a woman would deliberately CHOOSE not to have children. So they keep trying to guilt childfree women by saying they are "self-absorbed," "self-consumed," and even worse, hoping these women will feel guilty enough to change their minds.
Even though I have just ONE child by choice, some nosy parkers tried to pressure me into having "just one more." I politely -- and in some cases not so politely -- refused. I found it rather amusing that in all cases, the pressure to "have just one more" came from moms with two, three, or even more kids.:-)
I never said all women should have children. In fact I said the opposite. It does take some sacrifice to be a good mother and not all women can put their kids first.

It is amusing that you find other women amusing who suggested you have another. They know that it is easier and better for the child to not be raised alone. My advice to my kids was "never marry an only child".

“2014 TDF”

Since: Mar 09

Boca Raton, FL.

#325 Dec 11, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said all women should have children. In fact I said the opposite. It does take some sacrifice to be a good mother and not all women can put their kids first.
It is amusing that you find other women amusing who suggested you have another. They know that it is easier and better for the child to not be raised alone. My advice to my kids was "never marry an only child".
That's because anyone's suggestion to someone they don't know, to have another child, is, on its face, amusing.

How many children are you raising now? Or are yours all grown up and left the home?

Would you not consider it amusing if I suggested you have another child now?

C'mon now; be truthful.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#326 Dec 11, 2012
<quoted text>
That's because anyone's suggestion to someone they don't know, to have another child, is, on its face, amusing.
How many children are you raising now? Or are yours all grown up and left the home?
C'mon now; be truthful.
It sounded like the people making the suggestion were people she knew.
ronone

Masontown, PA

#327 Dec 12, 2012
youtube.com/watch... ……Sad to hear deaths like this?
Ocean56

AOL

#328 Dec 12, 2012
Ink wrote:
Not all women WANT to "put kids first," inky, that's why many women choose NOT to have them. Despite what regressive anti-choicers want everyone to BELIEVE, motherhood isn't the ONLY valid occupation for women. We're past the 19th century, and the 1950's/60's, in case you didn't realize it.

As to your OPINION that "it is easier and better for the child to not be raised alone," that's all it is...another OPINION. Opinions aren't facts.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#329 Dec 12, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounded like the people making the suggestion were people she knew.
I could careless who was making the suggestion; you didn't answer my questions, so here they are, restated:

Ink

Bensalem, PA

#330 Dec 12, 2012
<quoted text>
I could careless who was making the suggestion; you didn't answer my questions, so here they are, restated:
None, all grown up. I guess it would be amusing considering my age.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#331 Dec 12, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>None, all grown up. I guess it would be amusing considering my age.
So what's your effing problem with Ocean's comment, if you would not want to raise kids now???
Ocean56

AOL

#332 Dec 13, 2012
So what's your effing problem with Ocean's comment, if you would not want to raise kids now???
Hi CD! Great to see you, hope you and your family are enjoying the holidays. My guess, and I could be mistaken, Inky's problem with my comments is that she doesn't like my discussing the HARDSHIPS of motherhood at all, especially on public forums like this one.

Personally, I think she would prefer that girls/women remain in ignorance of these hardships, until AFTER they have had a baby, when it is too late for them to make the choice NOT to have kids. Too bad for her. I'm not going to cease talking about them just to make regressive anti-choice imbeciles like Inky (and sASSY, Knutter, TomTom, NoRelevance, etc.) happy.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#333 Dec 13, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi CD! Great to see you, hope you and your family are enjoying the holidays. My guess, and I could be mistaken, Inky's problem with my comments is that she doesn't like my discussing the HARDSHIPS of motherhood at all, especially on public forums like this one.
Personally, I think she would prefer that girls/women remain in ignorance of these hardships, until AFTER they have had a baby, when it is too late for them to make the choice NOT to have kids. Too bad for her. I'm not going to cease talking about them just to make regressive anti-choice imbeciles like Inky (and sASSY, Knutter, TomTom, NoRelevance, etc.) happy.
Hi sweetie!

We're all doing great and enjoying the holidays.

I have another theory. I believe they just have to find a way to make a woman, who exercises her beliefs with regard to reproductive choices, look like a selfish person who does not regard anyone else but herself.

And, while in a handful of cases such may be true, those are only the exceptions.

I too could be mistaken.
Ocean56

AOL

#334 Dec 13, 2012
I have another theory. I believe they just have to find a way to make a woman, who exercises her beliefs with regard to reproductive choices, look like a selfish person who does not regard anyone else but herself.
And, while in a handful of cases such may be true, those are only the exceptions.
I too could be mistaken.
It could be that BOTH our theories are correct, even though the regressive anti-choice idiots will probably say they aren't.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 min Truth is might 312,874
9 reasons abortion MUST remain legal. (Sep '07) Thu Susanm 1,470
News Europe's Jews Look at Trump, and See Their Own ... Wed PolakPotrafi 2
News BREAKING. House Accelerates Investigation Of Pl... Dec 5 Doug 25
News Texas to Require Burials After Many Abortions Dec 4 cpeter1313 1
News Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's F... (Sep '12) Dec 2 zef 6,098
News Congressional panel recommends charges against ... Dec 2 Philosophic 5
More from around the web