Christine Flowers: Free speech can ve...

Christine Flowers: Free speech can vex, annoy and shame; so what?

There are 3 comments on the Anchorage Daily News story from Nov 16, 2013, titled Christine Flowers: Free speech can vex, annoy and shame; so what?. In it, Anchorage Daily News reports that:

Everyone has an opinion about abortion. God knows I do. Out of the more than five hundred columns I've written, a good 30 percent to 40 percent must have been about Roe v.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Anchorage Daily News.

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#1 Nov 16, 2013
"""Everyone has an opinion about abortion. God knows I do. Out of the more than five hundred columns I've written, a good 30 percent to 40 percent must have been about Roe v. Wade in some way, shape or form. To me, abortion is murder, pure and simple. I do not believe in exceptions for health and incest and rape, which obviously puts me on the farthest right edge of the social battlefield (it's just me and Sarah out here, eating S'mores and warming our hands by the rhetorical fires.)

And my response to that is: so what? There is no constitutional right to be free from annoying images and comments and criticisms (if that were the case I'd print out my emails and file a writ of certiorari with the court tomorrow.) As Jeff Jacoby wrote in his masterful Boston Globe piece this week, quoting George Orwell: "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.""""

Exactly. I know that a lot of women don't want to hear that they are murderers when approaching a clinic which provides a service that, when successfully performed, results in someone dying. It is understandable that a "mother-(who doesn't want) to-be" would be upset at seeing pictures of dismembered fetuses staring at her on the morning she chooses to have her fetus dismembered. It is probably really annoying to have a little gray haired woman praying the rosary and smiling the most beatific smile in the hopes that you'll change your mind and have that baby.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/11/15/3178786/christi...

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/11/15/3178786/christi... ;

""AS FAR AS epiphanies go, it wasn't as dramatic as St. Paul getting knocked off of his horse on the road to Damascus, Joan of Arc hearing voices in France or Joseph Smith getting a visit from Jesus in upstate New York. But even though my kitchen table in Havertown is a fairly humble locale, something momentous did happen Wednesday night. And while I don't plan on leading any armies against the British in the near future, it had a lasting impact on at least one person.""

http://articles.philly.com/2012-08-31/news/33...

I would like to ask Mz. Christine Flowers how she would feel if we started taking our protests to her place of worship? Wonder if she would see it differently? Let me rephrase her words:

Everyone has an opinion about religion. Godess knows I do. Out of the more than five hundred comments I've written, a good 30 percent to 40 percent must have been about religion in some way, shape or form. To me, religion is misogynistic brainwashing, pure and simple. I do not believe in exceptions for stupidity and inbred phallic worship and misogyny, which obviously puts me on the farthest left edge of the social battlefield (it's just me and Gloria Steinem out here, eating S'mores and warming our hands by the rhetorical fires.)

I know that a lot of parishioners don't want to hear that they are brainwashed misogynistic idiots when approaching a place of worship which provides a service that, when successfully performed, results in submissive subservient docile twits called women. It is understandable that a religious dope would be upset at seeing pictures of their mythological male god ridiculed and disfigured (though they enjoy a guy hanging from a cross as inspirational). It would probably be really annoying to have a little gray haired woman challenging their misogyny and smiling the most beatific smile in the hopes that you'll change your mind and start respecting women and forgo these ridiculous mythological beliefs.
Ocean56

AOL

#3 Nov 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
I would like to ask Mz. Christine Flowers how she would feel if we started taking our protests to her place of worship? Wonder if she would see it differently? Let me rephrase her words:
Everyone has an opinion about religion. Godess knows I do. Out of the more than five hundred comments I've written, a good 30 percent to 40 percent must have been about religion in some way, shape or form. To me, religion is misogynistic brainwashing, pure and simple. I do not believe in exceptions for stupidity and inbred phallic worship and misogyny, which obviously puts me on the farthest left edge of the social battlefield (it's just me and Gloria Steinem out here, eating S'mores and warming our hands by the rhetorical fires.)
Ms. Flowers would probably NOT like anyone rephrasing her words, especially when it comes to criticizing religion, but SO WHAT. When it is intended to reduce women to the status of second-class or even third-class citizen, for us to be nothing more than unpaid domestic servants and mindless baby factories, religion deserves not only criticism, but contempt.

Got any more 'smores for an extra person, by the way?:-)

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#4 Nov 17, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ms. Flowers would probably NOT like anyone rephrasing her words, especially when it comes to criticizing religion, but SO WHAT. When it is intended to reduce women to the status of second-class or even third-class citizen, for us to be nothing more than unpaid domestic servants and mindless baby factories, religion deserves not only criticism, but contempt.
Got any more 'smores for an extra person, by the way?:-)
Yeah Ocean, I bet she would become super sensitive to protesters at her place of worship. Bet she would object to having her beliefs questioned and criticized along with being shouted at insulted and harassed on her way in to genuflect to male hierarchy. She might not be so comfortable with the shoe on the other foot!

Plenty of "smores for those that stand for women's rights!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr ThomasA 315,316
Pro life for women 5 hr Freedomofexpression 5
News CA Judge Places Stiff Contempt Fine On Pro-Life... Jul 21 cpeter1313 1
News National anti-abortion group aims to shut down ... Jul 20 Jael2 1
News Feminist icon Gloria Steinem adored, reviled in... Jul 20 Pam 12
News Feature: A New Front in the War Over Reproducti... Jul 18 cpeter1313 1
News Abortion-rights activist found in contempt over... Jul 17 cpeter1313 1
More from around the web