Abortion tide is turning 35 years aft...

Abortion tide is turning 35 years after Roe v. Wade

There are 45 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Abortion tide is turning 35 years after Roe v. Wade. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Thirty-five years after the Supreme Court unilaterally struck down state laws restricting abortion, the cost of that decision continues to increase our moral deficit, which will have far greater consequences ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tom

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2008
This has been the best article I have read on the MorningCall EVER! I 100% agree with you and thank you for articulating this problem so well. Thanks!
Tom
Troy

Wilkes Barre, PA

#2 Jan 21, 2008
Wow, If you donít have to have an abortion then donít. CNN said, on Saturday, the numbers are coming down because more people are able to use contraceptives because they are affordable and available. While I donít agree that the Courts should be able to create law, like they did in Roe vs. Wade; I donít believe the government should be telling me that I can not have an abortion. The best solution to this would be to make adoption easier and affordable. I know a few people that have adopted outside of the US because it was easier and affordable. If the pregnant mother knew that she had a good home for the child she may not see the need for the abortion. Rather than getting ride of abortion process, give better means for not needing the abortion. At least the US has stopped performing eugenics. The last person the US government had sterilized was in 1966. Though that would stop the need for some abortionsÖ
Troy

Wilkes Barre, PA

#3 Jan 21, 2008
** rid not ride ** Sorry missed that in the proof read.
Off on a tangent

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 21, 2008
Troy wrote:
At least the US has stopped performing eugenics. The last person the US government had sterilized was in 1966.
The government may have stopped performing sterilizations in 1966, but that doesn't mean that they don't still occur without consent. I know someone who was treated for Hodgkins disease at the age of 20. While radiating her thyroid, the Dr. also took a trip "down south" to hit her ovaries to sterilize her. This was an option suggested by the Dr. to the parent of this individual--who has MODERATE learning disabilities. This was barely 15 years ago.
To my knowledge the victim of this proceedure does not know this was done (and likely never will) since she has never attempted to have children...but I know that she talked about wanting to have children if she ever got married. She's had dating relationships, but none have resulted in marriage at this point.
Kate

Allentown, PA

#6 Jan 21, 2008
Judging from the number of 15 years olds I see pushing baby carriages, I don't know that increased contraceptive use is the reason for fewer abortions. I do know however, that illegitimacy has not only become acceptable, but downright fashionable, which certainly has caused some women to carry to term rather than abort. We'll see in a few years if a generation of children growing up without fathers and in poverty is a good thing. Also, I wonder what it is about the 50 million that were aborted that makes Mr. Thomas think they would be any more willing to do the "jobs that Americans won't do" than any other American citizen, causing employers (as some claim) to hire illlegal aliens? Given the direction the economy is heading, I wouldn't be surprised if many Americans who were born here become willing to do menial labor jobs like picking apples very soon. After all, Walmart can only hire so many people.

“Think”

Since: Mar 07

United States

#7 Jan 21, 2008
Once this article blamed abortion for illegal immigration, I could no longer take it seriously.
Not buying it

Newtown, PA

#8 Jan 21, 2008
Abortion will always be done. It is merely a question of whether it will be legal and safe.

I would have an abortion if I couldn't provide for my fetus or if I knew it would be born into a life of abuse, starvation, or suffering. And I would do it illegally if I couldn't get an abortion legally.

Sure, someone will say I'm destined to a theoretical hell, but leave that to me and my God.(hahaha, maybe I'm an athiest.)

RE: the loss of 50 million people in this country, perhaps Thomas should examine the worldwide natural resources picture.
Kate

Allentown, PA

#9 Jan 21, 2008
My sentiments exactly. By the way, if global warming is caused by humans, I have yet to hear any of the global warming mouthpieces address the number one cause of it, which is overpopulation.
Not buying it wrote:
Abortion will always be done. It is merely a question of whether it will be legal and safe.
I would have an abortion if I couldn't provide for my fetus or if I knew it would be born into a life of abuse, starvation, or suffering. And I would do it illegally if I couldn't get an abortion legally.
Sure, someone will say I'm destined to a theoretical hell, but leave that to me and my God.(hahaha, maybe I'm an athiest.)
RE: the loss of 50 million people in this country, perhaps Thomas should examine the worldwide natural resources picture.
agree

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jan 21, 2008
Not buying it wrote:
It will continue to be that as abortions become harder to obtain, the rich will still be able to get safe ones and the poor will suffer from botched ones.
Troy

Wilkes Barre, PA

#13 Jan 21, 2008
I would say the 15 year old that I see with kids (Go as far to say teen pregnacy) is due to lack of good parenting. Wonder how many of those 15 years olds have 30 year old mothers? I do think the global warming thing is funny. You know vegans claim that they are doing their part for global warming because cow farts are considered the #3 cause to global warming (Thats their claim not mine)
welfare

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jan 21, 2008
Our welfare system has also made it appealing for young mothers to get an apartment of their own. They don't understand what is involved in raising a child. They just long for someone to love that will love them back. The
Bethlehem Friend

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Jan 21, 2008
Allentown_Frank wrote:
Once this article blamed abortion for illegal immigration, I could no longer take it seriously.
I agree completely. It's so sad how some people will use any excuse to make themselves appear to be smart. It's even sadder that others believe them!

“Objectivity is key”

Since: Dec 07

Allentown, PA

#14 Jan 21, 2008
Allentown_Frank wrote:
That sentence really killed it for me as well. This article is highly speculative.
Jim

King Of Prussia, PA

#15 Jan 21, 2008
I have family members and friends that have both made the decision to keep a child out of wedlock and conversely to have an abortion.
Both decisions were heartwrenching for the mothers, and both are lifechanging.
The author of the letter says that 35 years since Roe v wade, 50 million people might be alive. That is true - but to what end? 50 million people as product of rape and incest? 50 million in broken homes, unloved and uncared for?
I will admit that there has been some change in social thinking. 35 years ago, a girl who got pregnant out of wedlock was a pariah. She was often shunned by her church and sometimes, even her family. These days, its not as bad; but as everyone knows things change.
Today, women/girls who are pregnant have the option for clean conditions for terminating a pregnancy, when before they were subjected to being forced into dark alleys, with substandard medical care. Abortion will not go away, it will, like everything else necessary the government tries to prohibit will just fade into teh corners of the underworld.
Lastly, when Cal has the risk of getting pregnant, I think he earn the right to make the decision for those who can already.
DC law dog

Fort Washington, MD

#16 Jan 21, 2008
<<Once this article blamed abortion for illegal immigration, I could no longer take it seriously. That sentence really killed it for me as well. This article is highly speculative.>>

Yup! cal Thomas is a moron!

<<These were people who, regardless of the circumstances of the women who carried them, had the potential to contribute to the country and to the world. But now they cannot, because they are not.>> after them when I finally need a kidney trans[

they also could have turned out to to be another Hitler or Charles Manson..

<<Roe and its companion case, Doe v. Bolton, took the question of endowment of life by ''our Creator'' and placed it in the hands of individuals.>>

Everyone does not believe that there is a "creator," Cal.... and that phrase comes from the declaration of independence, which is NOT a legal document or binding law... Cal should read the constitution, from which all our rights flow, including the right to bodily autonomy.......

<<Politicians and judges could help bury Roe by requiring that pregnant women receive complete information about the nature of the life within them, >>

No they couldn't.. first, they would have to abolish the right to privacy in the constitution and the right to make your own medical choices... when they do, I'll just come after one of their kidneys when I finally need a transplant......

<<including being required to view sonograms before electing abortion.>>

ROFLMFAOPIMP... lotsa luck with that one Cal... no one can force somebody to look at a sonogram...

<<This would follow truth-in-labeling and truth-in-lending laws by fully informing and empowering women. >>

Women are already fully informed when they sign that consent to abortion form, Cal...

<<Such an approach would satisfy the liberal demand to keep abortion ''safe and legal'' and the pro-life desire to make them rare.>>

No it wouldn't... Cal is dreaming..... he just wants to control women and their reproductive rights...

<<After 35 years of slaughtering our young, isn't it time to stop? That child born in 1973 could be a parent now. There are children who could have been born today. >>

The kid could also be another Charlie Manson or jeffery Dahmer or Hitler

<<Thirty-five years of killing has diminished and corrupted us all. >>

No it hasn't.. Cal can only speak for himself...

<<Let's summon the moral courage to stop it for our sake Ö and for theirs.>>

If Cal doesn't want an abortion, he should not have one.... oooopsss... I forgot... spit babies don't live!
JIm Burke

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jan 21, 2008
It's not my place to tell women how they should take care of their bodies. I have my hands full taking care of my own.
Maybe Cal would like to support all of those kids. Or better yet, he can become a gov't contractor to suppor them, rip off the taxpayers, and leave the kids in the street anyway. then he would be a success story.
I wasn t aborted

Chicago, IL

#18 Jan 21, 2008
Not buying it wrote:
I would have an abortion if I couldn't provide for my fetus or if I knew it would be born into a life of abuse, starvation, or suffering....
My mother wanted an abortion when she found out she was pregnant with me...she felt that she could not afford a 3rd child when her husband had just left her.
It was only because my father stopped her that she didn't get one. He then gained custody of my older siblings and I, and after finding a new wife several years later, we began an 11 year oddysey of "abuse and suffering."
Yes, my childhood was HELL.
But I would not wish that I had not been born. I have a quite good life at this point in time, with a loving husband and children and good career.
Missing people

Chicago, IL

#19 Jan 21, 2008
Though I am pro-life, I disagree with Cal's argument that each abortion represents a lost person, a lost member of the workforce.

I disagree with this simply because some women do get abortions repeatedly in a short period. If they had carried the pregnancy to term, they would not have had multiple pregnancies in the same span. Having birthed babies...*some* women will then become more careful about preventing further pregnancies, and will not as easily get pregnant again, leading to repeat abortions.(Please note that I'm not saying that ALL women who have abortions were promiscuous prior.)

Other women, will begin to feel guilty after an abortion, and will self-sabotage themselves and become pregnant again, have more abortions...

Bottom line...I think that some women will have 3 abortions (47% of women having abortions have had a previous abortion--this is data from Planned Parenthood) then carry one pregnancy to term. But I believe that if they had carried the first pregnancy to term, they may have only had that one pregnancy, not 4.
Jennifer

Easton, PA

#20 Jan 21, 2008
Whatever happened to educated journalism? The Supreme Court's decision regarding Roe v. Wade was not made in an effort to encourage abortion; the decision gives women a CHOICE about whether or not they are ready to raise a child. Far from being "on-demand" birth control, the decision whether or not to have an abortion is, in some cases, a difficult and overwhelming one to make. In other cases, it isn't. But that's the point. It's a CHOICE. One that Cal Thomas will never be faced with making. No woman in her right mind would say that she advocates "baby killing" or "slaughtering our young," but many educated women will tell you that they are happily pro-choice. By the way, Cal, your comment about women "receiving complete information about the nature of life within them?" That's what Planned Parenthood is for.
chickie

AOL

#21 Jan 21, 2008
DC law dog wrote:
<<Once this article blamed abortion for illegal immigration, I could no longer take it seriously. That sentence really killed it for me as well. This article is highly speculative.>>
Yup! cal Thomas is a moron!
<<These were people who, regardless of the circumstances of the women who carried them, had the potential to contribute to the country and to the world. But now they cannot, because they are not.>> after them when I finally need a kidney trans[
they also could have turned out to to be another Hitler or Charles Manson..
<<Roe and its companion case, Doe v. Bolton, took the question of endowment of life by ''our Creator'' and placed it in the hands of individuals.>>
Everyone does not believe that there is a "creator," Cal.... and that phrase comes from the declaration of independence, which is NOT a legal document or binding law... Cal should read the constitution, from which all our rights flow, including the right to bodily autonomy.......
<<Politicians and judges could help bury Roe by requiring that pregnant women receive complete information about the nature of the life within them, >>
No they couldn't.. first, they would have to abolish the right to privacy in the constitution and the right to make your own medical choices... when they do, I'll just come after one of their kidneys when I finally need a transplant......
<<including being required to view sonograms before electing abortion.>>
ROFLMFAOPIMP... lotsa luck with that one Cal... no one can force somebody to look at a sonogram...
<<This would follow truth-in-labeling and truth-in-lending laws by fully informing and empowering women. >>
Women are already fully informed when they sign that consent to abortion form, Cal...
<<Such an approach would satisfy the liberal demand to keep abortion ''safe and legal'' and the pro-life desire to make them rare.>>
No it wouldn't... Cal is dreaming..... he just wants to control women and their reproductive rights...
<<After 35 years of slaughtering our young, isn't it time to stop? That child born in 1973 could be a parent now. There are children who could have been born today. >>
The kid could also be another Charlie Manson or jeffery Dahmer or Hitler
<<Thirty-five years of killing has diminished and corrupted us all. >>
No it hasn't.. Cal can only speak for himself...
<<Let's summon the moral courage to stop it for our sake Ö and for theirs.>>
If Cal doesn't want an abortion, he should not have one.... oooopsss... I forgot... spit babies don't live!
now here is a guy that makes sense..thank you for this response..i agree!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Eddie M 319,812
News Planned Parenthood docs requested from Senate b... Wed youll shoot your ... 14
News What is the GOP thinking? (Jan '15) Wed anonz 5
News SCOTUS to Hear Case of CA Pregnancy Centers For... Nov 14 cpeter1313 1
News Shocking new study proves that the vaccine indu... Nov 7 cpeter1313 4
News Activist: "Abortion Threatens Black America's F... (Sep '12) Nov 7 Got_Rope 6,113
News Kentucky Could Become The Only State Without A ... Nov 2 The Steven Deaks 209
More from around the web