OB-GYN group criticizes Texas abortion bills

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: KFVS12 491

The abortion bills under consideration in Texas are being denounced as a form of legislative overreach on the medical rights of women.

Full Story
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#1 Jul 5, 2013
"""The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stated in a news release Tuesday that Senate Bill 1 and House Bill 2 "are plainly intended to restrict the reproductive rights of women in Texas through a series of requirements that improperly regulate medical practice and interfere with the patient-physician relationship."" ""

""Abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, ACOG stated, with fewer than 0.5 percent of abortions involving major complications. This fact hasn't stopped legislatures in several states from passing or debating laws to add new restrictions to the procedure.

Targeted Regulations of Abortion Providers (TRAP) laws are in place in 27 states, but legal challenges have held up many of these measures.

Laws that single out abortion providers don't make "an already-safe procedure safer, but instead aim to make abortion care less accessible," according to the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit organization that works to advance reproductive health and abortion rights."""

Well gee......who would listen to a bunch of experts when they have a bunch of religious fanatics to dictate and determine womens healthcare??? I have noticed that the religious fanatics are never concerned about mens healthcare....wonder why? Oh yes....I keep forgetting...patriarchy.

“Define Necessity”

Since: Mar 13

FOR YOURSELF

#2 Jul 5, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
"""The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stated in a news release Tuesday that Senate Bill 1 and House Bill 2 "are plainly intended to restrict the reproductive rights of women in Texas through a series of requirements that improperly regulate medical practice and interfere with the patient-physician relationship."" ""
""Abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, ACOG stated, with fewer than 0.5 percent of abortions involving major complications. This fact hasn't stopped legislatures in several states from passing or debating laws to add new restrictions to the procedure.
Targeted Regulations of Abortion Providers (TRAP) laws are in place in 27 states, but legal challenges have held up many of these measures.
Laws that single out abortion providers don't make "an already-safe procedure safer, but instead aim to make abortion care less accessible," according to the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit organization that works to advance reproductive health and abortion rights."""
Well gee......who would listen to a bunch of experts when they have a bunch of religious fanatics to dictate and determine womens healthcare??? I have noticed that the religious fanatics are never concerned about mens healthcare....wonder why? Oh yes....I keep forgetting...patriarchy.
Under the banner of safety, the Texas Legislature has guaranteed women in Texas a distinct lack of access to safe, legal, and monitored abortions.

By requiring every abortion clinic to "upgrade" and become a surgical center, the Legislatures in states which are passing these laws, are ensuring that abortion clinics will have to close. Abortion clinics are privately funded, through donations,(since the funding of an abortion clinic with tax dollars is illegal) and the majority of providers don't have the financial wherewithal to provide a variety of services...which is what surgicenters do.

Abortion is classified as 'outpatient surgery'. The state cannot mandate that a hospital grant privileges to any given individual physician, but these laws require any physician performing an abortion to have such privileges. And those privileges must be with a hospital within thirty miles of the surgicenter in which the procedure is performed.(No outpatient surgery other than abortion, is ever regulated this way.)

Texas' law SPECIFICALLY excludes mental illness, as a 'health reason' for why a woman needs an abortion after 20 weeks.

Currently, an abortion after 16 weeks, is illegal in Texas, if the woman's life, or health, or the development of her fetus are not at risk...which is to say, that at 20 weeks, it is only legal to perform one for those reasons ALREADY. This part of the legislation is redundant.

It is patently obvious that Texas, like most so-called conservative states, is well on its way to effectively banning the performance of sterile, regulated abortion, by legislating all the clinics out of business. Ladies, pack your bags.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3 Jul 5, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>Under the banner of safety, the Texas Legislature has guaranteed women in Texas a distinct lack of access to safe, legal, and monitored abortions.
By requiring every abortion clinic to "upgrade" and become a surgical center, the Legislatures in states which are passing these laws, are ensuring that abortion clinics will have to close. Abortion clinics are privately funded, through donations,(since the funding of an abortion clinic with tax dollars is illegal) and the majority of providers don't have the financial wherewithal to provide a variety of services...which is what surgicenters do.
Abortion is classified as 'outpatient surgery'. The state cannot mandate that a hospital grant privileges to any given individual physician, but these laws require any physician performing an abortion to have such privileges. And those privileges must be with a hospital within thirty miles of the surgicenter in which the procedure is performed.(No outpatient surgery other than abortion, is ever regulated this way.)
Texas' law SPECIFICALLY excludes mental illness, as a 'health reason' for why a woman needs an abortion after 20 weeks.
Currently, an abortion after 16 weeks, is illegal in Texas, if the woman's life, or health, or the development of her fetus are not at risk...which is to say, that at 20 weeks, it is only legal to perform one for those reasons ALREADY. This part of the legislation is redundant.
It is patently obvious that Texas, like most so-called conservative states, is well on its way to effectively banning the performance of sterile, regulated abortion, by legislating all the clinics out of business. Ladies, pack your bags.
]"Abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, with fewer than 0.5 percent of abortions involving major complications."

That's 1/20th of 1 percent, folks.

Plastic surgery, orthopaedic surgery, and gallbladder surgery, are also outpatient procedures, with a major complication rate of 5% or higher - but a surgeon may open his own practice and perform any one of them in his one-procedure clinic, without being required to have privileges at a hospital.

It's not about safety - abortion is safe for women, as long as it is done in sterile conditions, and performed by physicians licensed in obstetrics, who are monitored and regulated like every other member of the surgical profession.

It's all about control. If their access to a safe abortion is gone, women won't be able to make a decision the Texas State Legislature disapproves of. Texas wants its women 'safe' from TEMPTATION - to direct our own reproductive function that is. Texas is trying to 'save women's souls'.

Illegal, unsterile, unsafe abortions, are what the Texas legislature wants. The Texas Legislature is more interested in the safety of a clump of cells than the safety of women who seek abortion - it figures those sluts need to die anyway.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#4 Jul 5, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>Under the banner of safety, the Texas Legislature has guaranteed women in Texas a distinct lack of access to safe, legal, and monitored abortions.
You said it-"Abortion is classified as 'outpatient surgery'"

Now, you seem to want it treated differently that other surgical centers in Texas RE: the facilities upgrades required by the proposed bill.

PP is awash in money. Are you saying they cannot upgrade their facilities?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#5 Jul 5, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
In 2012 Planned Parenthood reportied surplus revenues exceeding $87 million and net assets of more than $1.2 billion.

You're telling me that can't afford to upgrade the facilities in Texas?

Location hidden

#6 Jul 5, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You said it-"Abortion is classified as 'outpatient surgery'"
Now, you seem to want it treated differently that other surgical centers in Texas RE: the facilities upgrades required by the proposed bill.
PP is awash in money. Are you saying they cannot upgrade their facilities?
Any surgeon in Texas can open his/her own practice (otherwise known as a 'clinic') and perform ANY OTHER outpatient surgery, without being required to have privileges at any hospital. Under this legislation, any surgeon who provides abortion, must now do so at a surgicenter, and have privileges at a hospital within 30 miles. I'd say that was being treated differently, wouldn't you?

In addition, this bill requires ALL abortions, even those which don't INVOLVE surgery, to be performed at a surgicenter....with all of the added costs incurred, as a result of much higher overhead on the part of providers.

You do know it was your insistence that the government get involved in this ONE procedure, which opened the door to Obamacare....right?

You should have been more careful of what you wished for.

Location hidden

#7 Jul 5, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2012 Planned Parenthood reportied surplus revenues exceeding $87 million and net assets of more than $1.2 billion.
In 2012, Monsanto Corporation reported surplus revenues of $126 million, with free cash flow for the 2012 fiscal year in the range of $1.3 billion to $1.5 billion. Are you telling me it can't afford to pay damages to the hundreds of people whose health is demonstrably destroyed by its pesticides every year?

You can holler 'apples and oranges' all you want, but the logic is exactly the same.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#8 Jul 5, 2013
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Any surgeon in Texas can open his/her own practice (otherwise known as a 'clinic') and perform ANY OTHER outpatient surgery, without being required to have privileges at any hospital. Under this legislation, any surgeon who provides abortion, must now do so at a surgicenter, and have privileges at a hospital within 30 miles. I'd say that was being treated differently, wouldn't you?
In addition, this bill requires ALL abortions, even those which don't INVOLVE surgery, to be performed at a surgicenter....with all of the added costs incurred, as a result of much higher overhead on the part of providers.
You do know it was your insistence that the government get involved in this ONE procedure, which opened the door to Obamacare....right?
You should have been more careful of what you wished for.
States enact legislation respective to health care facilities and their operations in the state in question.

Texas is asking that abortion providers fall into line respective to facilities provisions that other surgical providers must comply with.

The "admitting prviligese" codicil DOES appear to be treating them differently. I agree.

The facilities provision is what it is. I can't see any reasonable objection to that.

Location hidden

#9 Jul 5, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
States enact legislation respective to health care facilities and their operations in the state in question.
Texas is asking that abortion providers fall into line respective to facilities provisions that other surgical providers must comply with.
The "admitting prviligese" codicil DOES appear to be treating them differently. I agree.
The facilities provision is what it is. I can't see any reasonable objection to that.
"Facilities provision", my hind portion...the state is not requiring any other outpatient clinics to become surgi-centers. It is still legal to operate a private clinic for providing any other outpatient surgery. Abortion is being singled out for the health of the fetus - not for the health of the woman. And the only way the law protects said fetus, is to eliminate the ability of women to abort them via lack of access. Otherwise, having been 'legally' aborted, that fetus is just as dead .

“ABORTION KILLS A HUMAN BEING”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10 Jul 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
I call BS on the docs...it's all about the money to those who perform abortions. Simple as that. As far as men's health goes, they don't go to clinics to have their offspring aborted, so no need to discuss that.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 7, 2013
kaylayossi wrote:
<quoted text>
I call BS on the docs...it's all about the money to those who perform abortions. Simple as that. As far as men's health goes, they don't go to clinics to have their offspring aborted, so no need to discuss that.
Go gestate something, Kayla. It's the only thing of which you are capable. Run along now, that's a good girl.

Location hidden

#12 Jul 7, 2013
<quoted text>Go gestate something, Kayla. It's the only thing of which you are capable. Run along now, that's a good girl.
As I said, it's all about the $ for abortionists. It's a very lucrative business, so I still call BS...take a hike, sis.

Location hidden

#14 Jul 7, 2013
kaylayossi wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, it's all about the $ for abortionists. It's a very lucrative business, so I still call BS...take a hike, sis.
I think not - and Planned Parenthood is a business - just like the church. Which causes far more human suffering than any abortion clinic, as well as being far more profitable.

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#15 Jul 8, 2013
kaylayossi wrote:
<quoted text>
Call BS all you like. I can make the same call on OBGYN's, after all they are in the baby delivering business right? The same call can be made on all doctors. The fact that you wish to stand in the way of women's freedom and liberty has been noted for a very long time. The fact that you wish to determine what is best for women/girls who you will never know and never come into contact with is evidence of a severe medical condition called busybody. You should have that checked.

Location hidden

#16 Jul 8, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Call BS all you like. I can make the same call on OBGYN's, after all they are in the baby delivering business right? The same call can be made on all doctors. The fact that you wish to stand in the way of women's freedom and liberty has been noted for a very long time. The fact that you wish to determine what is best for women/girls who you will never know and never come into contact with is evidence of a severe medical condition called busybody. You should have that checked.
The medical/dental fields in general are all about the money. Also, if you don't know the difference between a doc who delivers babies as opposed to an abortionist, there's no helping you. I still call BS. Prove to me that the abortionists are in it because they "care" about women. They don't, they want the money, nothing more.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#17 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text>In 2012, Monsanto Corporation reported surplus revenues of $126 million, with free cash flow for the 2012 fiscal year in the range of $1.3 billion to $1.5 billion. Are you telling me it can't afford to pay damages to the hundreds of people whose health is demonstrably destroyed by its pesticides every year?
You can holler 'apples and oranges' all you want, but the logic is exactly the same.
I didn't make any claims on behalf of Monsanto.

Nice diversion.

PP has excess a lot of excess revenue. They're now poor-mouthing that they can't afford to upgrade the TX facilities.

Location hidden

#18 Jul 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't make any claims on behalf of Monsanto.
Nice diversion.
PP has excess a lot of excess revenue. They're now poor-mouthing that they can't afford to upgrade the TX facilities.
Not a diversion: a straight-up comparison. Don't like having your own 'logic' thrown back at you? Tough nuggets.

Milla Perry Jones, Gov. Rick Perry’s sister, is Vice President of United Surgical Partners International, based in Addison, TX... a private-interest group, which lobbies for doctors to own their facilities. She is also on the board of the Texas Ambulatory Surgical Center Society. Perry's planning to sign this law which will require all abortions in Texas to give his sister a direct financial benefit. He's signing a law to make his sister that much richer.

The rest is just posturing on his part. The man has signed execution orders for 234 lives since he was elected - he couldn't care less about 'life'.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#19 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text>Not a diversion: a straight-up comparison. Don't like having your own 'logic' thrown back at you? Tough nuggets.
Milla Perry Jones, Gov. Rick Perry’s sister, is Vice President of United Surgical Partners International, based in Addison, TX... a private-interest group, which lobbies for doctors to own their facilities. She is also on the board of the Texas Ambulatory Surgical Center Society. Perry's planning to sign this law which will require all abortions in Texas to give his sister a direct financial benefit. He's signing a law to make his sister that much richer.
The rest is just posturing on his part. The man has signed execution orders for 234 lives since he was elected - he couldn't care less about 'life'.
Yeah. Throwing in Monsanto is "logic". A "straight-up comparison"

Monsanto's operations in TX are regulated. There's a comparison, I guess.

Perry's sister is rich?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#20 Jul 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
PP TEXAS reported that surplus? Really?

Or could it have been the PP Federation which covers the entire US?

OR, perhaps it was PP INTERNATIONAL (meaning WORLDWIDE, in case you're confused) that reported that surplus?

And you think it should all be allocated to ONE state with 42 clinics in it?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#21 Jul 8, 2013
Particularly, Dan, when so many OTHER states have done/are trying to pass the very same laws.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Abortion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Pearl Jam 305,687
Parents Upset After Students View Images Of Abo... Fri godless by choice 1
Rally urges lawmakers to act on banning abortio... Fri godless by choice 1
Planned Parenthood blasts Ernst in new ad Fri Eleanor 7
Catholic League to sit out St. Patrick's Day pa... Sep 17 Christshariahns 77
Pence, 2016 hopefuls back 20-week abortion ban ... Sep 17 cpeter1313 6
Shifting his views, Rand Paul seeks broader app... Sep 15 Gary 2
•••

Abortion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE