Justices: Can't make employers cover contraception

Jun 30, 2014 Full story: Bellingham Herald 238

The justices' 5-4 decision is the first time that the high court has ruled that profit-seeking businesses can hold religious views under federal law.

Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Jun 30, 2014
So it's only a matter of time before companies stop covering immunizations or blood transfusions or AIDS medications or any other thing the religious freaks object to.

Don't buy all the rhetoric of the "limited scope" of the decision. The door has been opened now. The next cases will expand the precedent to just about everything under the sun.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#2 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
So it's only a matter of time before companies stop covering immunizations or blood transfusions or AIDS medications or any other thing the religious freaks object to.
Don't buy all the rhetoric of the "limited scope" of the decision. The door has been opened now. The next cases will expand the precedent to just about everything under the sun.
Do you support the right of a company to deny employment to someone who smokes?
NOo

Abilene, TX

#3 Jun 30, 2014
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
no!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jun 30, 2014
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
Companies can now claim smokers or drinkers or fat people or tall people or blacks or jews etc violate their deeply held religious beliefs, so everyone will be at the whim of their employer.

This ruling pretty much guts ANY restrictions placed on employers.
Cat74

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Jun 30, 2014
Yes, it does. Why would I start a business, invest all this money, so the Government can tell me how to run it? The Democrats always overreach. We will dismantle ObamaScam one item at a time.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#6 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
The law only applies to privately owned companies as in family owned and not to companies with share or stock holders.
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#7 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Companies can now claim smokers or drinkers or fat people or tall people or blacks or jews etc violate their deeply held religious beliefs, so everyone will be at the whim of their employer.
Your extremism because of your embrace of the murder of infants, your embrace of sexual deviancy and your anger at religious beliefs giving humanity hope and progress is becoming unglued. Apparently, your last dope buy was too cut. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
truth to power

Springboro, OH

#8 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
What a pile of senseless, public-sector, union-loving liberal horse puckey!

The supreme court decision allows more leeway for private sector employers.
The supreme court decisin doesn't mean all private sector employers are required to utilize this leeway.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#9 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Some companies are already refusing to hire smokers, and others charge them more for their medical insurance.

“Here we go!”

Since: Feb 07

Tampa, FL

#10 Jun 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:

The opinion specifically says that it does not apply to those situations you cited above
Cat74

Bolingbrook, IL

#11 Jun 30, 2014
I support the tight of a company to make their own rules, whatever they might be. They put up the money. They started the Company, and if you don't like the rules go work somewhere else. This idea that some employee that can barely read, and write can make the rules is bullshit. I would never join a Union, because I can speak for myself. Our cleaning lady came, and explained how much it cost now for overhead, and we raised her rates. Her work is that good. But we are not going to pay some lazy non productive just because they are still breathing.
truth to power

Springboro, OH

#12 Jun 30, 2014
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right I do!
Smoking is NASTY!
It doesn't matter if smoking areas are 100 feet, 100 yds or 100 miles outside the front doors!
Who ends up paying for smoking? Second hand smoke shortens lives of kids. Ultimately, the American taxpayer ends up paying their end-of-life expenses.

I also support the right of any company to deny employment to anyone who isn't physically fit. In other words, I support the right to deny employment to anyone who's OBESE.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#13 Jun 30, 2014
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right I do!
Smoking is NASTY!
It doesn't matter if smoking areas are 100 feet, 100 yds or 100 miles outside the front doors!
Who ends up paying for smoking? Second hand smoke shortens lives of kids. Ultimately, the American taxpayer ends up paying their end-of-life expenses.
I also support the right of any company to deny employment to anyone who isn't physically fit. In other words, I support the right to deny employment to anyone who's OBESE.
just like drug testing they should have genetic testing to make sure a prospective employee isn't predispositioned to cancer or other costly, time away from work causing maladies...right?
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#14 Jun 30, 2014
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right I do!
Smoking is NASTY!
So then you should support the SCOUS decision.
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#15 Jun 30, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>just like drug testing they should have genetic testing to make sure a prospective employee isn't predispositioned to cancer or other costly, time away from work causing maladies...right?
They should also be tested for liver disease caused by alcohol consumption..
Cat74

Bolingbrook, IL

#16 Jun 30, 2014
Everyone supports the SC ruling. They are the supreme law of the land!!! Don't like it? Move to Mexico, and make room for an illegal alien brought in courtesy of your Muslim President.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#17 Jun 30, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Everyone supports the SC ruling. They are the supreme law of the land!!! Don't like it? Move to Mexico, and make room for an illegal alien brought in courtesy of your Muslim President.
Of course you approve. Now we'll have an unlimited amount of teabagging frightwingnuts since you all know not to use contracption. It'll make you blind.
Read it and weep

Chesterfield, MO

#18 Jun 30, 2014
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

No where does it say anything about reproductive rights!!!

“I'd rather be snowmobiling”

Since: Oct 07

8120'

#19 Jun 30, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>just like drug testing they should have genetic testing to make sure a prospective employee isn't predispositioned to cancer or other costly, time away from work causing maladies...right?
Might have to see if 'Gattica' is on the Netflix tonight.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#21 Jun 30, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
They started the Company, and if you don't like the rules go work somewhere else..
And we consumers can spend our dollars in companies we respect.

Hobby folly won't be one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Yeah 1,144,574
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Even Steven 163,289
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 180,987
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 2 hr Just Saying 54,529
Republicans strike early blow in U.S. midterm e... 3 hr tha Professor 596
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 9 hr Earthling-1 33,296
Terry Bean, gay-rights activist charged with se... 11 hr NorCal Native 15

2012 Presidential Election People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE