What the 2012 election taught us

What the 2012 election taught us

There are 10317 comments on the The Washington Post story from Nov 6, 2012, titled What the 2012 election taught us. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#10280 Apr 29, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why hasn't Obama done anything to help you?? Your mayor? Your governor? Honest questions. I'm sorry you're still waiting - it's not right.
And I'd like to know what evidence there is of the republicans holding up emergency funds. I've not seen any, so if you have some proof, please enlighten me. Why would it benefit any republicans to hold up funds? They want votes too. I look forward to seeing what evidence there is. Thank you.
I hope you get help soon.
Here are the House holding funding of Sandy relief victims;

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/01/0...

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/02/1...

I made out fine luckily, but many did not - all homes burned down in the Rockaways, many owned by firemen, could not save their own homes. Still nothing but over 126 burned and flattened homes to this day.

New Jersey is still severely damaged - I was there last week. But I assure you, all the relief required by other regions in our country were addressed in less than 21 days - Katrina in just 10.

My thanks for your empathy.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10281 Apr 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wipe your chin, A/O.
You are drawing flies.
if anyone is drawing flies its definitely you.
we should not rebuild

Moseley, VA

#10282 Apr 29, 2013
in a storm ravaged place that is crazy

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#10283 Apr 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>first you would have to read & understand some of Lenin's writing & Lenin's thinking like in State & Revolution and others besides the rhetoric & tactics that Lenin used which is now known as Leninism.
It's 2013.

Try and keep up.

Location hidden

#10284 Apr 29, 2013
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>
It's 2013.
Try and keep up.
I Know tell that to the ones in the Democratic Party that represent Lenin's Ideology like Dianne Feinstein who is a Revolutionary who would like to collect all the guns in America.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#10285 Apr 29, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why hasn't Obama done anything to help you??.
REPUBLICAN Chris Christie:
HIGHLANDS, N.J.-- Gov. Chris Christie said Monday that President Barack Obama "has kept every promise he's made" about helping the state recover from Superstorm Sandy.

Hours later, Obama's housing secretary approved New Jersey's plans to spend $1.83 billion in federal money to help the state rebuild and recover from the storm.

Speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program six months after the deadly storm, the Republican governor said presidential politics were the last thing on his mind as he toured storm-devastated areas with Obama last fall.

When it comes to helping New Jersey rebuild from the storm, "the president has kept every promise he's made," said Christie, widely considered a potential candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. "I think he's done a good job. He kept his word."

His comments came in response to a question about whether he had any regrets about his warm embrace of Obama after the storm, which angered some Republicans, who said it helped tip a close presidential election. Christie had endorsed and campaigned for Republican Mitt Romney.

The governor said he and Obama have fundamentally different views on governing. But he said the two men did what needed to be done for a devastated region.

"I've got a job to do," he said. "You wake up and 7 million of your 8.8 million citizens are out of power, you're not thinking about presidential politics."

Christie challenged his critics to put themselves in his shoes while dealing with the massive storm, predicting none of them would have done anything differently.

"I have a 95 percent level of disagreement with Barack Obama," Christie said. But that did not come into play while dealing with the storm.

"We saw suffering together," Christie said. "Everything the president promised me they'd do, they've done. I don't have any complaint this morning on the issue of disaster relief."

Sandy destroyed about 360,000 homes or apartment units in New Jersey, and some areas along the shore are still devastated.

Later Monday, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan appeared with Christie at a press conference and announced federal approval of New Jersey's plans to spend more than $1.8 billion in federal grants on storm rebuilding and recovery.

"Today is the beginning of us getting to phase two of return to normalcy," Christie said. "For the overwhelming majority of New Jerseyans, their life is back to normal. For those who have not been able to leave it behind, I can still see the emotion on their faces, the sense of loss they still carry close to the surface. We are not here today to take a victory lap."

Congress approved more than $60 billion in Sandy relief funds, most of it for New Jersey and New York, despite opposition from many Congressional Republicans who voiced concerns over how some of it would be spent.

At a press conference at a popular seafood restaurant, where reporters and cameramen were pressed up against diners, Christie said it has been easy to work with Donovan on Sandy recovery.

"There's an old joke, right? Someone from the government comes into town and they say,`I'm from Washington and I'm here to help' and everybody starts to laugh," Christie said. "Shaun Donovan is ruining that joke for me."

Donovan returned the compliment, praising the Republican governor "for his remarkable and relentless leadership in helping this town, this shore and this state recover from one of the toughest blows it has ever endured."

This is the first round of disaster relief money to be allocated. Two more rounds of block grants are expected later.

The grants will be focused in the nine counties with the worst damage from the storm. The first round of grants will help an estimated 26,000 homeowners with their primary residences, 5,000 renters and 10,000 small businesses, in addition to local governments.

Location hidden

#10286 Apr 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I Know tell that to the ones in the Democratic Party that represent Lenin's Ideology....
Leninism...brrrakkk! COMMIES!..brrrakkk! Leninism... brrrakkk! pretty boy! Leninism...brrrakkk! Leninism...brrrakkk!

AnalOriface waanna crcaker?

Location hidden

#10287 Apr 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Leninism...brrrakkk! COMMIES!..brrrakkk! Leninism... brrrakkk! pretty boy! Leninism...brrrakkk! Leninism...brrrakkk!
AnalOriface waanna crcaker?
Barefoot the AnalOriface you better get an education because you are going to need it because your lifestyle under FDR version of Leninism is in Jeopardy!!

Location hidden

#10288 Apr 29, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Barefoot

AnalOriface waanna cracker?

Location hidden

#10289 Apr 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
AnalOriface waanna cracker?
Barefoot2626 the AnalOriface waanna cracker alright and now has a thing for Pretty Boys just more gay fantasy posting coming from Barefoot2626 the AnalOriface.

Since: Nov 11

Marengo, OH

#10290 Apr 29, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>I've never seen anyone so proud of their stupidity as you.

Sandy victims in no way blame anyone except the republican party for blocking the release of emergency funds - you know stooopid, the same funds we New Yorkers voted in favor of for victims of Katrina? Katrina victims received funding in 10 days - we've been waiting SIX FREAKIN MONTHS!

Got it now STOOOOOOOOPID???????
"Katrina victims received funding in 10 days - we've been waiting SIX FREAKIN MONTHS!"

CORRECT!!!!

Thanks fur proving my point!!!

Bush exploded the leeves and too 10 days to help but great Obama only took six months and still counting to help whites in the East Coast.

See? Liberals are brain dead hypocrites blaming Bush for Obama's incompetence.

Marengo, OH

#10291 Apr 29, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>Why hasn't Obama done anything to help you?? Your mayor? Your governor? Honest questions. I'm sorry you're still waiting - it's not right.
And I'd like to know what evidence there is of the republicans holding up emergency funds. I've not seen any, so if you have some proof, please enlighten me. Why would it benefit any republicans to hold up funds? They want votes too. I look forward to seeing what evidence there is. Thank you.
I hope you get help soon.
He has NO proof, he just being told by MSNBC what to think.

And he, like all good Libtard, will dutifully repeat!

You know the typical brain dead response: Republicans hate black that is why they blow up the New Orleans Levees.

Republican hate those white people in the East Coast that is why thru do not want to help.

No because Liberals added money to Egypt Muslim brotherhood, "do not let a crisis to waste", no because they added OTHER Sandy related expense, no. They had been told to say "Republican hate women, kids, Whites, Blacks, the elderly, the no so elderly, gays, lesbians, illegals, Muslims, etc.

See? Libtards being told we hate our own wives, kids, fathers, mothers. We want up poison the water, environment, rivers, mountains. We want to kill all animals and all customers with dangerous and poisonous products!

Yes, they really believe that cause that is what they being told to believe!

Marengo, OH

#10292 Apr 29, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>Here are the House holding funding of Sandy relief victims;

I made out fine luckily, but many did not - all homes burned down in the Rockaways, many owned by firemen, could not save their own homes. Still nothing but over 126 burned and flattened homes to this day.

New Jersey is still severely damaged - I was there last week. But I assure you, all the relief required by other regions in our country were addressed in less than 21 days - Katrina in just 10.

So Bush Administration was better prepared and funded?

You are out of league!

You are supposed to blame it on Bush, remember? Did you get the MSNBC memo?

Are you trying to think for yourself?

Better not Libtard, I will report you to your leader Al Sharpton!

Had any black suffers under Obama's imcompetence? "Of Course no", you being told.

Marengo, OH

#10293 Apr 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>REPUBLICAN Chris Christie:
HIGHLANDS, N.J.-- Gov. Chris Christie said Monday that President Barack Obama "has kept every promise he's made" about helping the state recover from Superstorm Sandy.

Hours later, Obama's housing secretary approved New Jersey's plans to spend $1.83 billion in federal money to help the state rebuild and recover from the storm.

Speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program six months after the deadly storm, the Republican governor said presidential politics were the last thing on his mind as he toured storm-devastated areas with Obama last fall.

When it comes to helping New Jersey rebuild from the storm, "the president has kept every promise he's made," said Christie, widely considered a potential candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. "I think he's done a good job. He kept his word."

His comments came in response to a question about whether he had any regrets about his warm embrace of Obama after the storm, which angered some Republicans, who said it helped tip a close presidential election. Christie had endorsed and campaigned for Republican Mitt Romney.

The governor said he and Obama have fundamentally different views on governing. But he said the two men did what needed to be done for a devastated region.

"I've got a job to do," he said. "You wake up and 7 million of your 8.8 million citizens are out of power, you're not thinking about presidential politics."

Christie challenged his critics to put themselves in his shoes while dealing with the massive storm, predicting none of them would have done anything differently.

"I have a 95 percent level of disagreement with Barack Obama," Christie said. But that did not come into play while dealing with the storm.

"We saw suffering together," Christie said. "Everything the president promised me they'd do, they've done. I don't have any complaint this morning on the issue of disaster relief."

Sandy destroyed about 360,000 homes or apartment units in New Jersey, and some areas along the shore are still devastated.

Later Monday, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan appeared with Christie at a press conference and announced federal approval of New Jersey's plans to spend more than $1.8 billion in federal grants on storm rebuilding and recovery.

"Today is the beginning of us getting to phase two of return to normalcy," Christie said. "For the overwhelming majority of New Jerseyans, their life is back to normal. For those who have not been able to leave it behind, I can still see the emotion on their faces, the sense of loss they still carry close to the surface. We are not here today to take a victory lap."

Congress approved more than $60 billion in Sandy relief funds, most of it for New Jersey and New York, despite opposition from many Congressional Republicans who voiced concerns over how some of it would be spent.

At a press conference at a popular seafood restaurant, where reporters and cameramen were pressed up against diners, Christie said it has been easy to work with Donovan on Sandy recovery.

"There's an old joke, right? Someone from the government comes into town and they say,`I'm from Washington and I'm here to help' and everybody starts to laugh," Christie said. "Shaun Donovan is ruining that joke for me."

Donovan returned the compliment, praising the Republican governor "for his remarkable and relentless leadership in helping this town, this shore and this state recover from one of the toughest blows it has ever endured."

This is the first round of disaster relief money to be allocated. Two more rounds of block grants are expected later.

The grants will be focused in the nine counties with the worst damage from the storm. The first round of grants will help an estimated 26,000 homeowners with their primary residences, 5,000 renters and 10,000 small businesses, in addition to local governments.
Obama is all about politics!
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10294 Apr 30, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a Boehner fan, but these are fairly liberal rags. I don't know the reasons for his delay (not that they are good ones - I just don't know at this point). I will try to find his reasoning before I place blame solely on the republicans.
Katrina victims blame Bush, but no one is holding Obama's feet to the fire? There is certainly something he could do -- he's the president!!! We are always blaming whoever doesn't follow our political ideologies.
I am very empathetic to the problems you and others face.
Why do we continually place blame? Can we stop placing blame and work toward common solutions?
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10295 Apr 30, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what I'm finding. Boehner pushed back the vote partially because the bill was full of earmarks (pork) for other than aid monies. Over $60 billion in government money and we all know the government has no money. He's between a rock and a hard place. I found this information on cnn.com and cbs news. But, of course, they spun it left and you had to read between the lines, as usual, to understand the true meaning behind their stories. I am not defending Boehner, but if the situation was reversed and Nancy Pelosi was in his shoes, she would have done the same thing if the bill held many $ of earmarks the right wanted.

Obama and the left want him to fail and will exploit it at every opportunity.

I have also read about much aid that has been given and more that is coming.

Have insurance companies been slow to pay damages to individuals? Each person's home insurance should come into play, right?
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10296 Apr 30, 2013
Comments from cbs news:
Part of Boehner's reasoning for initially holding off on a vote ..... was that FEMA had assured them that there were sufficient disaster response funds through March.
And there WAS a vote in January that gave aid. This is the vote that is described in these posts. The delay was before this vote in January.
An article from January 12 - cbsnews:
Conservatives and watchdog groups are mounting a "not-so-fast" campaign against a $50.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package that Northeastern governors and lawmakers hope to push through the House this coming week.
Their complaint is that lots of that money actually will go toward recovery efforts for past disasters and other projects unrelated to the late-October storm.
The measure bill includes $150 million for what the Commerce Department described as fisheries disasters in Alaska, Mississippi and the Northeast, and $50 million in subsidies for replanting trees on private land damaged by wildfires.
The objections have led senior House Republicans to assemble a $17 billion proposal, that when combined already approved money for flood insurance claims, is less than half what President Barack Obama sought and the Senate passed in December.
House Speaker John Boehner intends to let the House vote on both measures. He's responding both to conservatives who are opposed to more deficit spending, and to Govs. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., and Chris Christie, R-N.J., who are irate that the House hasn't acted sooner.
The $17 billion package will be brought to the floor by the House Appropriations Committee, and Northeast lawmakers will have a chance to add $33.7 billion more.
Critics are taking the sharpest aim at $12.1 billion in the amendment for Department of Housing and Urban Development emergency block grants. Any state struck by a federally declared major disaster in 2011, 2012 or this year would qualify for the grants, and that's just about all the states, said Stephen Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a budget watchdog group. Only South Carolina, Arizona and Michigan would not qualify, he said.
"That's not a bad chunk of change, particularly if you are trying to get other lawmakers to vote for the bill," Ellis said.
State and local governments like block grants because they provide more flexibility in how the money is spent. The money can go toward a variety of needs, including hospitals, utilities, roads, small businesses and rent subsidies.
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10297 Apr 30, 2013
continued from above ....
The Northeast lawmakers'$33.7 billion amendment also includes more than $135 million to help the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration improve weather forecasting.
"A lot of the money goes to government agencies to rebuild rather than helping people actually afflicted by Sandy," Ellis said.
Before getting to the aid measures, the House on Monday planned to consider legislation intended to streamline Federal Emergency Management Agency regulations that critics blame for slowing down recovery efforts. That bill would let FEMA make limited repairs instead of lease payments to provide housing that might be less expensive than traditional agency trailers.
A $60.4 billion storm aid package passed by the Senate in December included $188 million for an Amtrak expansion project with an indirect link to Sandy: Officials say that new, long-planned tunnels from New Jersey to Penn Station in Manhattan would be better protected against future flooding.
The Club for Growth, a conservative group, complained the Senate bill was overpriced, full of pork and would swell the federal deficit because other government programs weren't being cut to cover the costs of the legislation. That bill expired with the old Congress on Jan. 3. So whatever additional aid package the House passes would have to go back to the Senate for its approval.
Republican Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, two frequent critics of government spending, tried unsuccessfully to strip the Senate version of $125 million for an Agriculture Department program to restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought,$2 million for roof repairs at Smithsonian Institution museums in the Washington area and the $50 million in tree planting subsidies. continued ..........
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10298 Apr 30, 2013
continued from above ........
McCain also targeted $15 million to repair storm-damaged NASA facilities, saying the agency had called its Sandy damage "minimal."
"An emergency funding bill should focus on the emergency needs of the victims, not the needs of politicians," said Indiana Sen. Dan Coats, the senior Republican on Senate Appropriations subcommittee on homeland security. "Loading up a massive $60.4 billion package with unrelated projects and earmarks for other states is not the way we should use taxpayer dollars."
Republicans also criticized $13 billion in the Senate bill for projects to protect against future storms, including fortification of mass transit systems in the Northeast and building new jetties in vulnerable seaside areas. While maybe worthwhile, those projects don't represent emergencies and shouldn't be exempt from federal spending caps, GOP lawmakers said.
The basic $17 billion before the House on Tuesday is aimed at immediate Sandy recovery needs, including $5.4 billion for New York and New Jersey transit systems and $5.4 billion for FEMA's disaster aid fund. The $33.7 billion amendment would bring the total up to the more than $60 billion sought by Obama and passed by Senate Democrats.
It includes the block grants for previous disasters, weather forecasting improvements and measures to minimize damage from future storms, but not the $188 million for the Amtrak expansion project.
"We know it's going to be a heavy lift for the $33 billion, but we'll find the votes," said Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., whose Staten Island district was heavily damaged by Sandy.
But conservatives clearly prefer the smaller,$17 billion version. Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Kan., a frequent critic of Boehner after losing his seat on the House Budget Committee, said the Sandy aid legislation should be focused on storm-related recovery.
"Conservatives want to see a real plan that addresses real needs for Sandy," he said.
Obama has signed a $9.7 billion replenishment of the national flood insurance fund to help pay claims from 115,000 homeowners, businesses and renters.
FEMA has spent more than $2 billion in disaster relief money for shelter, restoring power and other immediate needs arising from Sandy. The Oct. 29 storm that pounded the Atlantic coast from North Carolina to Maine with hurricane-force winds and coastal flooding. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut were the hardest hit.

Keep in mind when you say these are conservative comments -- that doesn't mean they're wrong.
jackson

Lexington, KY

#10299 Apr 30, 2013
Don't know what happened to my earlier posts about this article -- from cbsnews in JANUARY!

Conservatives and watchdog groups are mounting a "not-so-fast" campaign against a $50.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package that Northeastern governors and lawmakers hope to push through the House this coming week.

Their complaint is that lots of that money actually will go toward recovery efforts for past disasters and other projects unrelated to the late-October storm.

The measure bill includes $150 million for what the Commerce Department described as fisheries disasters in Alaska, Mississippi and the Northeast, and $50 million in subsidies for replanting trees on private land damaged by wildfires.

The objections have led senior House Republicans to assemble a $17 billion proposal, that when combined already approved money for flood insurance claims, is less than half what President Barack Obama sought and the Senate passed in December.
House Speaker John Boehner intends to let the House vote on both measures. He's responding both to conservatives who are opposed to more deficit spending, and to Govs. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., and Chris Christie, R-N.J., who are irate that the House hasn't acted sooner.

continued .........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Frankendrumpf 240,018
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Homer 1,420,549
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Hill4me 222,801
News Harry Reid calls mother of Benghazi victim 'cra... 1 hr Captain Yesterday 45
News Hillary Clinton's evolution on gay rights: 'On ... 3 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 1
News Most Americans Oppose Trump's Positions On Immi... 4 hr Mite Be 11
News Al-Maliki: U.S. forces won't stay after 2011 (Nov '10) 5 hr Big Bad John Roberts 10
More from around the web