What the 2012 election taught us

What the 2012 election taught us

There are 10317 comments on the The Washington Post story from Nov 6, 2012, titled What the 2012 election taught us. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Conroe, TX

#6337 Jan 11, 2013
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You are not the sharpest in your herd, sport...Here is the original quote NOT said by Thomas Jefferson
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Variations:
1."When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
2."Does the government fear us? Or do we fear the government? When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal government is our servant, not our master!"
3.“When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”
Earliest known appearance in print: 1914
Earliest known appearance in print, attributed to Thomas Jefferson: 1994
Also sometimes attributed to Samuel Adams or Thomas Paine. neither one of them said it, either.
You Tea Baggers love to quote Jefferson but have no fkn idea what's really going on...
Fkn Hilarious.
Your attempt at diversion was informative. Most people who have an education instead of an indoctrination are aware of the discrepancy you reference.
However, your diatribe wasn't related to the post. The post was a direct quote from Thomas Jefferson.
How about you answer the post with something related....

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6338 Jan 11, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Unicorn not in the context of the European mythical creature, but as a powerful being controlled by God. Job 39.9 39.10
Don't confuse the dweeb with facts. They only use the bible in their out house.

Since: Jan 13

Clearwater, FL

#6339 Jan 11, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you know about Nazi Germany's rise to power and Hitler's regime? Elimination of those that stood in Hitler's way was only the beginning. For now, I am only concerned with my ability to protect my family and myself. If the government is going to attempt to remove that self defense from me, what does that say about them? To say that the government would never do that is naive.
Oh God, another "America is just like Nazi Germany" nut. Listen to yourself. You claim that the US Government might move to take away your guns, right? Well, I have news for you. If the U.S. Government ever decides to take your guns, you won't be able to stop them, because they have more and better weapons that you do.

Do yhou really think the crew of a tank is going to be intimidated by your pistol, or your shotgun, or your AK-47, or even your .50 cal?

Since: Jan 13

Clearwater, FL

#6340 Jan 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Safety and security for my family first.
Protection of my property second.
Ability to assist restoration of order is a consideration, also.
And, always, preparedness against those who intend to transform this life of freedom and liberty to the norm of what exists in the world, dictatorship. Everyone with an education knows that all-powerful governments kill more people than any other method of death you can reference as an excuse to disarm the population.
That information probably was not included in the indoctrination you substituted for education.
Yes. I am in full agreement with Thomas Jefferson.
Given that it is the unquestionable intent of Obama to begin writing his own laws and become a dictator, what do you think will be the effect of this?
Well, DB, i agree that your gun might protect you and your family and your property against ordinary criminals. But I don't think it will protect you from a government dictatorship. As I have stated before, if the US Government ever decides to impose a dictatorship, there will be little to stop it. Because the US Government has many many more weapons that any individual, or citizens council, or militia group, etc.

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#6341 Jan 11, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh God, another "America is just like Nazi Germany" nut. Listen to yourself. You claim that the US Government might move to take away your guns, right? Well, I have news for you. If the U.S. Government ever decides to take your guns, you won't be able to stop them, because they have more and better weapons that you do.
Do yhou really think the crew of a tank is going to be intimidated by your pistol, or your shotgun, or your AK-47, or even your .50 cal?
Do you really think the crew of a tank will kill their own family?
I think the Armed Forces will remove Obama before they begin murdering Americans.
Obama plans to write his own whims as law, establishing himself as dictator. That will surely begin a civil war.

AFter the dust settles, the winners will most certainly hang the losers.
Stoneman

Boise, ID

#6342 Jan 11, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Oh heck! Throw in defense contractors as well. That alone would make half of Boeing a government "taker."
How about a 40% cut across the board in defense AND entitlements?

Start out gradually, eliminate a Navy ship and Head Start. Then a useless Air Force manned combat aircraft and the Department of Energy. Then raise the retirement age for all military and eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts plus NPR.

Then cut all subsidies for wind power, corn ethanol and consolidate all branches of the military into one, eliminating the independent academies.

Ooooh! This is getting fun!

Eliminate the Bureau of Indian Affairs, tell all residents of reservations that all gubbermint checks will stop at the end of the year.

Eliminate all deductions on income taxes, make it a straight 15% on income regardless of where it came from. No charitable deductions, no deductions for labor union dues.

Wow! That would be cool! See how easy it is?

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#6343 Jan 11, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, DB, i agree that your gun might protect you and your family and your property against ordinary criminals. But I don't think it will protect you from a government dictatorship. As I have stated before, if the US Government ever decides to impose a dictatorship, there will be little to stop it. Because the US Government has many many more weapons that any individual, or citizens council, or militia group, etc.
It is the families of those most inclined to volunteer for military service that will be the targets of the dictatorial whims. I don't see kids from patriotic families that have a legacy of fighting for the Constitution killing their own families.

Actually, the federal government is hamstrung. Feds are not with kinship to the local populations that will have to be subdued. The local population will have very little compunction about killing federal agents. However, the local authorities will have a kinship with the population. It will require cooperation of the local authorities for the federal government to achieve this. The locals aren't likely to kill someone they went to high school with.
But, Obama's government has already made the ludicrous assertion that only federal authorities can enforce federal law. Obama will have to do something among the most hypocritic acts ever and use the local authorities as a judas goat, or nationalize all police into a federal police force, almost identical to the KGB of the old Soviet Union.

Either way, when Obama declares himself the dictator here by writing his own whim into law, he begins a civil war.
It is a certainty that, when the dust settles, the winners will hang the losers.
Dane Thorsen

AOL

#6344 Jan 11, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush recession.
Cause.
Unemployment rate : effect.
NEXT!
When are these posters going to understand that America is toast. The Election is OVER. We are all under Mob Rule now and Obama will do with our pathetic loser families as he pleases.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#6345 Jan 11, 2013
Dane Thorsen wrote:
<quoted text>
When are these posters going to understand that America is toast.
When are the people who insist America is toast going to get the hell out of our country?

Location hidden

#6346 Jan 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the families of those most inclined to volunteer for military service
Oh- you mean like the Romneys (no one in his immediate family has served in over one hundred years), the Limpballs, the Hannitys, the Becks, and every tea bagger in America?

Location hidden

#6347 Jan 11, 2013
Stoneman wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a 40% cut across the board in defense AND entitlements?
How 'bout starting with your entitlements?

Location hidden

#6348 Jan 11, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<
Either way, when Obama declares himself the dictator
I think you should put your really stupid stuff right up top so everyone can see when you say it.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Draketown, GA

#6349 Jan 12, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
300 million+ gun owners will make a didtatorship think twice.

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#6350 Jan 12, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should put your really stupid stuff right up top so everyone can see when you say it.
I think you should show us text from the Constitution that authorizes the president to write his own laws or shut up.

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#6351 Jan 12, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh- you mean like the Romneys (no one in his immediate family has served in over one hundred years), the Limpballs, the Hannitys, the Becks, and every tea bagger in America?
You really don't have a clue who's out here in this country, do you?
It will be exactly like I've said several times.
The Democrats are too full of themselves and their ability to program the country with lies to not start a civil war, and too ignorant to avoid starting it.
You are a case in point.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#6352 Jan 12, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Until recently, the government hasn't stated its intent to discard the Constitution and institute a dictatorship where the head of state can write his own laws. So, there hasn't been the need to defend ourselves from any dictator wannabe until now.
Presidents have used executive orders for quite a while now...

no administration has discarded the constitution in any way. your tin foil needs buffing...

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#6353 Jan 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Presidents have used executive orders for quite a while now...
no administration has discarded the constitution in any way. your tin foil needs buffing...
Another attempt to confuse people with misleading information.

The authority of any Executive Order is limited to the Executive Branch of government. The president does not have the authority to give any command to anyone outside the Executive Branch of government.
What the Democrats plan to do is mislead the American people with the lie that Executive Orders have been used by previous presidents to issue edicts to the population.
This is a blatant lie.
Executive Orders are limited in authority to the Executive Branch of government.

According to the Constitution, the only requirements the population is commanded to obey come in the form of laws passed by Congress and enacted in the exact procedure defined in the Constitution.
The president does not have the authority to issue edicts to the population. Period. End of statement.

In a fascist government, the head of state can write his own laws according to his whim.
The Constitution prohibits a fascist government. Thus, the Constitution prohibits the president from writing his own laws and issuing edicts to the population.

In case you're slow and haven't figured this out yet, the Democrats intend to install a fascist government. They will have to eliminate the Constitution to do that.
The Democrats are in rebellion against the Constitution.
Thus, the Democrats are in rebellion against the government of the United States.

What should be the penalty for someone in government participating in a rebellion against the government of the United States? Is this treason?

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#6354 Jan 12, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>You must think you're in some marathon dance contest.
Here's the questions you've been running away from for, what is it now, about a week?

Where exactly was Obama during the 7-hour battle between Al Qaeda and the stripped-down American security detatchment while the real-time video was being watched in the White House?

And;

Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?

... the lights using the electricity being generated by people who made the sacrifices to become skilled who will stop producing electricity for you when they get fed up with being the only people in the country working for a living to pay for everything the moochers have.
See you then, mooch.

Now, how about answering those questions you've been dodging for almost a week.
They've been answered, sheep.

Do I have to be on Faux news and say it before you listen?

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#6355 Jan 12, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>Your attempt at diversion was informative. Most people who have an education instead of an indoctrination are aware of the discrepancy you reference.
However, your diatribe wasn't related to the post. The post was a direct quote from Thomas Jefferson.
How about you answer the post with something related....
As I have shown you. Your quote is bullshit.

Jefferson never said that.

So try again to show me why a fkn loon like you should legally own an assault rifle.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6356 Jan 12, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Another attempt to confuse people with misleading information.
The authority of any Executive Order is limited to the Executive Branch of government. The president does not have the authority to give any command to anyone outside the Executive Branch of government.
What the Democrats plan to do is mislead the American people with the lie that Executive Orders have been used by previous presidents to issue edicts to the population.
This is a blatant lie.
Executive Orders are limited in authority to the Executive Branch of government.
According to the Constitution, the only requirements the population is commanded to obey come in the form of laws passed by Congress and enacted in the exact procedure defined in the Constitution.
The president does not have the authority to issue edicts to the population. Period. End of statement.
In a fascist government, the head of state can write his own laws according to his whim.
The Constitution prohibits a fascist government. Thus, the Constitution prohibits the president from writing his own laws and issuing edicts to the population.
In case you're slow and haven't figured this out yet, the Democrats intend to install a fascist government. They will have to eliminate the Constitution to do that.
The Democrats are in rebellion against the Constitution.
Thus, the Democrats are in rebellion against the government of the United States.
What should be the penalty for someone in government participating in a rebellion against the government of the United States? Is this treason?
I dont believe Obama can do anything with the guns below is an example where the SCOTUS overturn Truman's executive order and the NRA & Alan Gura will take up issue immediately with the SCOTUS & defend our 2nd amendment & gun rights since he is the lawyer responsible for SCOTUS cases of District of Columbia v. Heller & McDonald v. Chicago & won both cases.

Understanding executive orders and the powers they grant

The Supreme Court, however, put a stop to this in 1952 when they were faced with the case Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. vs Sawyer. In this case, the Supreme Court ruled Harry Truman’s Executive Order 10340 which put all steel mills in the country under federal government control. The Supreme Court called this executive order invalid because it attempted to make law, which was the job of the legislative branch (Senate and House of Representatives). Since then executive orders pertaining to laws were only allowed to be carried out when they are used to clarify or act to further a law put forth by the Congress or the Constitution. Executive orders have even been used to declare war. This included the 1999 Kosovo War that took place during Bill Clinton’s second term in office. All of these wars have also included authorizing resolutions from Congress. Despite this, the extent of a president’s military power still remains a questionable and unresolved constitutional issue. Presidents have been accused a number of times of abusing executive orders. The most common abuse is when the president uses them to make or change laws without the approval of Congress.

http://www.votetocracy.com/blog/detail/unders...

Executive Order, Un-Constitutional Congress

http://personalliberty.com/2012/04/24/executi...

Alan Gura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Gura

District of Columbia v. Heller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Colu...

McDonald v. Chicago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._Chic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RoxLo 1,457,973
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min IND 252,978
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 26 min TRUMP WINNERS 144
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min Zipperhead 230,985
News Warning against carbon tariffs (Jul '09) 1 hr IB DaMann 7
News Presidential commission urges better cybersecur... 7 hr Philosophic 6
News Will Gov. Perry Risk the Election for a Tuitio... (Sep '11) 12 hr Giggle2044 9
More from around the web