Senators Reach Agreement On Overhauli...

Senators Reach Agreement On Overhauling Immigration

There are 584 comments on the National Public Radio story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Senators Reach Agreement On Overhauling Immigration. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

A bipartisan group of leading senators has reached agreement on the principles of sweeping legislation to rewrite the nation's immigration laws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#392 Feb 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the inventor still makes bank on it...
True, but the country which manufactures the product is the one hiring people and paying wages and selling the product to other countries.

My only point is our manufacturing dominance is gone and will likely never return.

Tawas City, Michigan

#393 Feb 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Wal-mart will still make bank selling it...
But our country would make MORE if the product was manufactured here.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#394 Feb 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but the country which manufactures the product is the one hiring people and paying wages and selling the product to other countries.
My only point is our manufacturing dominance is gone and will likely never return.
I read an article a few years back that showed how the WORLD has lost over 20 million manufacturing jobs from '95 to '05 (i think..close enough)

since we're not outsourcing to mars yet, that means that we are just losing manufacturing jobs to automation and robots.(Damn you Isaac Asimov!!!)

Low tech manufacturing is becoming a lost art to humans. i would rather be the country designing, building, programming, maintaining, and using those machines and robots...
Married

Houston, TX

#395 Feb 11, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Funny how you forget that they have enrolled their American-born kids for the freebies. And they file for child tax credits for kids they don't have or who live in their homeland.
Tax Day is an appropriate time to underscore the often-overlooked fact that unauthorized immigrants pay taxes. The unauthorized, like everyone else in the United States, pay sales taxes. They also pay property taxes—even if they rent. At least half of unauthorized immigrants pay income taxes. Add this all up and it amounts to billions in revenue to state and local governments. The Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP) has estimated the state and local taxes paid in 2010 by households that are headed by unauthorized immigrants. These households may include members who are U.S. citizens or legal immigrants. Collectively, these households paid $11.2 billion in state and local taxes. That included $1.2 billion in personal income taxes,$1.6 billion in property taxes, and $8.4 billion in sales taxes. The states receiving the most tax revenue from households headed by unauthorized immigrants were California ($2.7 billion), Texas ($1.6 billion), Florida ($806.8 million), New York ($662.4 million), and Illinois ($499.2 million){See Figure 1 and Table 1}. These figures should be kept in mind as politicians and commentators continue with the seemingly endless debate over what to do with unauthorized immigrants already living in the United States. In spite of the fact that they lack legal status, these immigrants—and their family members—are adding value to the U.S. economy; not only as taxpayers, but as workers, consumers, and entrepreneurs as well.
http://m.immigrationpolicy.org/...

St. Croix valley

#396 Feb 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
But our country would make MORE if the product was manufactured here.
i don't want a job sewing dolls on teh newest iteration of a cabbage patch doll...it may be demanding work for the likes of ninthman, and serf's up and the like, but most humans capable of cogent thought would rather we have the cool manufacturing jobs. or at least the parts of that industry that is in the 21st century...
Married

Houston, TX

#397 Feb 11, 2013
All immigrants pay taxes whether they are illegal or not. They pay them in the form of property tax - directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent; sales tax on all the goods they buy, and income tax at Federal, State and local level.
Since illegal immigrants often have fake documents, including fake Social Security numbers, the money they pay into the system is money that will never be withdrawn. The amount in question is evidenced by the Social Security Administration’s “suspense file”(taxes that cannot be matched to workers’ names and Social Security numbers), which grew $20 billion between 1990 and 1998.[1][2]
[edit]Legal immigrants come here to get "welfare"
Immigrants come to work and to reunite with family members[citation needed].
Immigrant labor-force participation is consistently higher than native-born, and immigrant workers make up a larger share of the U.S. labor force (12.4%) than they do the U.S. population (11.5%). Moreover, the ratio between immigrant use of public benefits and the amount of taxes they pay is consistently favorable to the U.S., unless the “study” was undertaken by an anti-immigrant group.[citation needed] In one estimate, immigrants earn about $240 billion a year, pay about $90 billion a year in taxes, and use about $5 billion in public benefits. In another cut of the data, immigrant tax payments total $20 to $30 billion more than the amount of government services they use.[3]
Since the welfare reform of 1996, when limits were implemented cutting off benefits to two years consecutively or five years cumulatively, this is a bogus accusation.
To immigrate into the US, you must have a sponsor (generally the family member, such as the spouse, bringing you into the country) who will testify that he or she has enough money to support you, if you are unable to support yourself, or if you lose your job. This agreement means that within the first 5 years of living in the US, you cannot take welfare. Your family member will be assessed a penalty if you demand it.[citation needed]

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Myths_and_facts_...
Married

Houston, TX

#398 Feb 11, 2013
They put in more what they take out for their USA CITZEN KIDS

Tawas City, Michigan

#399 Feb 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I read an article a few years back that showed how the WORLD has lost over 20 million manufacturing jobs from '95 to '05 (i think..close enough)
since we're not outsourcing to mars yet, that means that we are just losing manufacturing jobs to automation and robots.(Damn you Isaac Asimov!!!)
Low tech manufacturing is becoming a lost art to humans. i would rather be the country designing, building, programming, maintaining, and using those machines and robots...
Being that most other countries are doing robotics as well, that's not likely to save us either.

I think people just need to get used to the fact that our world manufacutring dominance will never return. We'll be lucky if we can make enough products to sell to Americans at a competitive price with other countries.

The only other option is to ban all imports of manufactured goods. Of course other countries will do the same to us in the ensuing trade war, so we're right back where we started.

St. Croix valley

#400 Feb 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Being that most other countries are doing robotics as well, that's not likely to save us either.
I think people just need to get used to the fact that our world manufacutring dominance will never return. We'll be lucky if we can make enough products to sell to Americans at a competitive price with other countries.
The only other option is to ban all imports of manufactured goods. Of course other countries will do the same to us in the ensuing trade war, so we're right back where we started.
not the low wage countries. they're the ones sewing th eyes on dolls, still.
Billy Ringo

United States

#401 Feb 11, 2013
An american .... ahem .... businessman has the right to buy a company, sell all of it's assests, fire all the workers and send all the jobs offshore.

Just ask Etchy !!!!!
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#402 Feb 11, 2013
Most manufacturing jobs especially high tech have gone offshore because of the lack of regulation and tax offshore. There is no EPA or OSHA and most issues can be handled with a small bribe not an expensive and protracted law suit. Wages are only a very small part of the incentives to go off shore, In fact employee turnover and training costs are high relative to the U.S.

Tawas City, Michigan

#403 Feb 11, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see America manufacturing all the products we buy/use right here. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect that will ever happen again.

Maybe if we put all the illegals in sweatshops we can make jeans and tvs and toasters here again?

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#404 Feb 11, 2013
Married wrote:
All immigrants pay taxes whether they are illegal or not. They pay them in the form of property tax - directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent; sales tax on all the goods they buy, and income tax at Federal, State and local level.
Since illegal immigrants often have fake documents, including fake Social Security numbers, the money they pay into the system is money that will never be withdrawn. The amount in question is evidenced by the Social Security Administration’s “suspense file”(taxes that cannot be matched to workers’ names and Social Security numbers), which grew $20 billion between 1990 and 1998.[1][2]
[edit]Legal immigrants come here to get "welfare"
Immigrants come to work and to reunite with family members[citation needed].
Immigrant labor-force participation is consistently higher than native-born, and immigrant workers make up a larger share of the U.S. labor force (12.4%) than they do the U.S. population (11.5%). Moreover, the ratio between immigrant use of public benefits and the amount of taxes they pay is consistently favorable to the U.S., unless the “study” was undertaken by an anti-immigrant group.[citation needed] In one estimate, immigrants earn about $240 billion a year, pay about $90 billion a year in taxes, and use about $5 billion in public benefits. In another cut of the data, immigrant tax payments total $20 to $30 billion more than the amount of government services they use.[3]
Since the welfare reform of 1996, when limits were implemented cutting off benefits to two years consecutively or five years cumulatively, this is a bogus accusation.
To immigrate into the US, you must have a sponsor (generally the family member, such as the spouse, bringing you into the country) who will testify that he or she has enough money to support you, if you are unable to support yourself, or if you lose your job. This agreement means that within the first 5 years of living in the US, you cannot take welfare. Your family member will be assessed a penalty if you demand it.[citation needed]
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Myths_and_facts_...
Is tthat right? How do they pay their fair share in taxes when they live 4-5 families to a single family abode, and send 6-7 kids from that houe to the local schools? Nice try. Recycling taxpayer money in the form of EBT cards is a stretch too.
Machiavelli

Emmaus, PA

#405 Feb 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see America manufacturing all the products we buy/use right here. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect that will ever happen again.
Maybe if we put all the illegals in sweatshops we can make jeans and tvs and toasters here again?
There are a few sweatshops with illegals left but not like the good old days when they were full of legal immigrants. Now that it is illegal in the U.S. to treat labor like that we import it and we are supposed to feel better wearing designer jeans because the sweatshops are offshore.
DWG

Everett, MA

#406 Feb 11, 2013
Suadela wrote:
<quoted text>
I must get going ,but I will take a quick minute to add my two cents to your post.
I am also a hard right Conservative and totally against illegal immigration.

With that said, I have a different stance on this massive problem we face and what is realistic/unrealistic.

Truth,we cannot deport all the illegals because of the huge cost,but we can strip them from all tax paid social services which they never paid into.

Our porous Border: All the dollars saved by not freely giving out welfare,etc. can be put to good use in securing our border by hiring more agents/advance technology/drones.
We all know/are well aware illegals do not want to become citizens nor pay taxes. They benefit more by remaining illegal.

Illegal are already considered criminals. They invaded/unlawfully entered a Sovereign Country.
Give them work permits you say? With so many Americans unemployed do you actually think this is realistic given our economy as it is,job outsourced.

The flow of illegals must stop "pronto". Our Cities/States can not absorb this massive cost.
Yes, employers should be penalized to the max. in order to get Americans back to work. Americans pay into the system. Americans working can rebuild our country not illegals who pay very/very little tax,if any at all.
Also, I believe family Unification should be curtailed til we are able to (once again) absorb this extra influx along with it's cost. Have a great day !
SuaDela Wrote: " Have a great day !.........I will take a quick minute to add my two cents to your post....."

DWG wrote: thank you so much, and appreciate your attention, and you can keep your changes, many in america need more than me how I note in your post....

SuaDela Wrote :..."
Truth,we cannot deport all the illegals because of the huge cost,but we can strip them from all tax paid social services which they never paid into..."

DWG wrote : 11 million undocumented guys in USA will stay because 2012 election was the answer for this issue, the Citizens of United States want to do the right thing for american history, we are not tyranny civilization, that is why we keep them.

SuaDela Wrote :."We all know/are well aware illegals do not want to become citizens nor pay taxes. They benefit more by remaining illegal...."

DWG wrote: yes they want to become citizens. Undocumented already pay income tax, and by their ITIN number they can apply for their tax return.

SuaDela wrote:.." Illegal are already considered criminals..."

DWG WROTE: their offence is not criminal but civil. And american civil immigration system are broken, that is why we need a compreencive immigration reform recognized by our majoritary.

SuaDela wrote:.." Yes, employers should be penalized to the max..."

DWG wrote : do you want to start a civil war, I think not, it is old school, and does not work for our modern time XXI CENTURY,.....PASS THE AMNESTY BILL .

THANKS
DWG
DWG

Everett, MA

#407 Feb 11, 2013
DWG wrote:
<quoted text>
"...
As a hard right conservative, and stauchly anti illegal immigration, I'm willing to work a compromise. It is utterly unrealistic to expect the illegal population, which numbers between 12-15 million, to deport itself. Additionally harsher deportation laws would also be futile, as the resources don't exist to round them up. A 400 mile border wall would eventually be compromised as well. Therefore I propose the following. All illegals who reside here today, may apply for citizenship in 5 years under the following conditions, 1. you must immediately register with the government and advise that you are here illegally today 2. you must not have committed crimes of any description either here or aboard, and must not currently be wanted by law enforcement in this or any other nation, 3. You may obtain a work visa today, and must be gainfully employed, paying taxes for at least 4 of the next 5 years while you wait to apply 4. you are not entitled to any entitlments local/state/federal for 5 years until you are a citizen.
HOWEVER, this pathway must go hand in hand with new immigration laws. We must immediately end the flow of illegals into the nation. This will only occur by making the United States highly unattractive to illegal. Singularly the most effective way to do this is to ensure that illegals cannot work. We achieve this by passing severely harsh laws on employers who knowing employ illegals. First offense 50K per illegal and 6 months probation mandatory. Second offense, 100K per illegal 6 months imprison, mandatory. No employer will take that risk. If illegals can't work, and can't have entitlements, they won't come, that simple....."
Dwg
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
dwg.. I think our idea has merit. but the fact is - we have a bigger problem that needs to be addressed first before we can even consider your compromise.
the problem... our government is not enforcing current laws.
even if we approved an amnesty under your constraints, it would not stop more illegals from coming in. because of the fact that our government is not enforcing current laws.
what good is a fine of 50k per illegal if the government won't enforce that law?
get it?
I'm afraid the time is coming soon when we the people will have to intervene and take back our government from these corrupt politicians.
asian Guy wrote:..."...I think our idea has merit. but the fact is - we have a bigger problem that needs to be addressed first before we can even consider your compromise. the problem... our government is not enforcing current laws....."

DWG WROTE: how I note you agree with me, and you and governament will stand the white flag, because :

1) american has a broken immigration system since 1986 till 2013 ( 27 years).

2) federal governament can not punish 11 million undocumented already here, our system fail, we can not make people sofer more than they are already in shutdown.

3) american voters after 2012 election , vote for amnesty and enforcement, we have trust washigton they will do their home work at this time.

Thanks
DWG
Anonymous

Wilmette, IL

#408 Feb 11, 2013
DWG wrote:
<quoted text>
SuaDela Wrote: " Have a great day !.........I will take a quick minute to add my two cents to your post....."
DWG wrote: thank you so much, and appreciate your attention, and you can keep your changes, many in america need more than me how I note in your post....
SuaDela Wrote :..."
Truth,we cannot deport all the illegals because of the huge cost,but we can strip them from all tax paid social services which they never paid into..."
DWG wrote : 11 million undocumented guys in USA will stay because 2012 election was the answer for this issue, the Citizens of United States want to do the right thing for american history, we are not tyranny civilization, that is why we keep them.
SuaDela Wrote :."We all know/are well aware illegals do not want to become citizens nor pay taxes. They benefit more by remaining illegal...."
DWG wrote: yes they want to become citizens. Undocumented already pay income tax, and by their ITIN number they can apply for their tax return.
SuaDela wrote:.." Illegal are already considered criminals..."
DWG WROTE: their offence is not criminal but civil. And american civil immigration system are broken, that is why we need a compreencive immigration reform recognized by our majoritary.
SuaDela wrote:.." Yes, employers should be penalized to the max..."
DWG wrote : do you want to start a civil war, I think not, it is old school, and does not work for our modern time XXI CENTURY,.....PASS THE AMNESTY BILL .
THANKS
DWG
You honestly believe there are only 11 million here? Okay,whatever!
2013 may not give them the Immigration Reform they seek. It most likely will be a watered down version under certain conditions.
Many Americans are oppose to any Immigration Reform (including myself)and are steadily calling/faxing/e-mailing their Congressmen in order to voice their opposition to any form of Pathway to citizenship.
Americans are losing jobs as we speak and believe(as I do) illegal are working jobs that belong to them.
The taxes the majority of Mexican citizens do pay is minimal compare to what they receive in Child Tax Credit,education,healthCare,we lfare,etc.
They enter illegally which(yes) is a civil offense(first time),but most were deported and made their way back in/re-entered which now makes it a felony(second time).

America is a very generous and sympathetic country,but when illegals are hell bent on coming across our borders are stealing from the taxpayers,,,, they are not welcomed.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#409 Feb 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
It could happen; but it is doubtful with the current crop of politicians controlling what is allowed to happen. The innovation is still there. What is not there is the political will to level the playing field.
Married

Houston, TX

#410 Feb 11, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Is tthat right? How do they pay their fair share in taxes when they live 4-5 families to a single family abode, and send 6-7 kids from that houe to the local schools? Nice try. Recycling taxpayer money in the form of EBT cards is a stretch too.
From their pay checks that's where the taxes gets taken out they do benefit a little from not paying so much tax on the house I will give you that as far as the kids they are USA citizens why not let them go to school but if you want how about this. They pay no tax at all pay 1000 per kid for year no benefits I would go for that maybe we could the kids to work too after they get out of school. To help for their schooling
DWG

Everett, MA

#411 Feb 11, 2013
Suadela wrote:
<quoted text>
You honestly believe there are only 11 million here? Okay,whatever!
2013 may not give them the Immigration Reform they seek. It most likely will be a watered down version under certain conditions.
Many Americans are oppose to any Immigration Reform (including myself)and are steadily calling/faxing/e-mailing their Congressmen in order to voice their opposition to any form of Pathway to citizenship.
Americans are losing jobs as we speak and believe(as I do) illegal are working jobs that belong to them.
The taxes the majority of Mexican citizens do pay is minimal compare to what they receive in Child Tax Credit,education,healthCare,we lfare,etc.
They enter illegally which(yes) is a civil offense(first time),but most were deported and made their way back in/re-entered which now makes it a felony(second time).
America is a very generous and sympathetic country,but when illegals are hell bent on coming across our borders are stealing from the taxpayers,,,, they are not welcomed.
Pay attention::

1) When you say ILLEGALS you want to say a group who invade your country like enemy to distroy your nation and your people.

2) UNDOCUMENTED, is the word for each single person, who come to this land for their particular dream.

3) Many UNDOCUMENTED person in USA was overstay visas, amount over 40%.(11 million - 40%= 4,400.000 millions overstay visas in USA )

4) 2012 election is the Green sign to AMNESTY 2013, american voters did mesage.

5) Republican start renew their faces .

And many other reasons to prove to you AMERICA DO NOT WANNA WRITE FOR THEIR HISTORY TYRANNY, THAT IS WHY WE HAVE AMNESTY AND ENFORCEMENT.

YOU CAN NOT ENFORCE THE LAW WITHOUT AMNESTY, IT IS ABOUT PEOPLE.

THANKS
DWG

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Incognito4Ever 1,536,197
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min IND 270,585
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Justice Dale 240,940
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 5 hr RIP 8,612
News Terri Schiavo's Painful Deprivation of Food and... (Mar '09) 10 hr The Marquis de Sade 1,222
News Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 13 hr greymouser 70,631
News Chong cruises to victory (Oct '08) 15 hr maybe USA cash in... 19
More from around the web