Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 Full story: TurkishPress.com 70,983

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#65238 Nov 26, 2012
polymath257 did not write:
Translation: Science, when it is shown to be in error, admits to the error and makes corrections. Therefore, it does not claim to have "truth".
Postscript wrote:
Provide examples.

How many do you want?
1. The phlogiston theory of heat was rejected because of evidence. later, It was replaced by thermodynamics.

2. The Catastrophist view of geology was rejected because of evidence. It was replaced by plate tectonics.

3. Maxwell's kinetic theory of gases using classical mechanics was rejected because of evidence. it was replaced by a kinetic theory based on quantum mechanics.

4. The theory that species are static was rejected based on evidence. it was replaced by the idea of evolution.

5. The theory that neutrinos are massless was rejected because of the evidence. This allowed a solution to the solar neutrino problem.

6. The Steady State theory of cosmology was rejected because of evidence. It was replaced by the Big Bang theory.

7. Newton's theory of gravity was replaced by general relativity because it fits the evidence better.

8. Newton's theory of mechanics was replaced by quantum mechanics for very small things. Again, this was evidence driven.

9. The plum pudding model of the atom (as suggested by Edison) was rejected when scattering experiments showed there was a nucleus.

10. The ether theory of light was rejected based on evidence. It was replaced by special relativity.

I could go on for much, much longer if you want. you see, science is evidence driven. people make their careers based on showing old ideas are insufficient and backing up their claims with evidence.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65239 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Minds greater than your own knew the truth centuries ago. Pythagoras commented that the mind is a substantial reality and somehow it affects the body, but does not exist in the head. Plato, likened mind to the soul that animated the body, which without it would be lifeless matter. Socrates stressed the separation of mind and body, commenting that mental things occur in a non-physical environment.
So Pythagorus and Plato were wrong. It isn't the only example of this. Most of the ideas of the science at that time are now known to be wrong.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65240 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Your - ah - "literary style" compared to a couple of other regular posters is simply too similar to be coincidental.
I would take that as a compliment except that I have to consider the source.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65241 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Minds greater than your own knew the truth centuries ago. Pythagoras commented that the mind is a substantial reality and somehow it affects the body, but does not exist in the head. Plato, likened mind to the soul that animated the body, which without it would be lifeless matter. Socrates stressed the separation of mind and body, commenting that mental things occur in a non-physical environment.
If you believe firmly that your consciousness is locked up somewhere inside your skull and is powerless to escape it, then you sell yourself short. You are not programmed by genes. Nothing is preordained. You are not the product of scientific or religious beliefs. Nothing happens because it must happen.
You are consciousness expressing as human. YOU make ideas - not your brain. You use your brain to express these ideas. Your body is awareized energy materialized in physical form, but you are not your body. Your thoughts are not you. You are the self that has the thoughts and you can change them. To deny this is to try and force consciousness into some rigid mold. To apply rules to consciousness makes a very neat but restrictive psychological package that impedes rather than enhances your understanding. Why accept a blueprint for reality from others when you are perfectly capable of making your own?
An appeal to antiquity, not a good fallacy to pull, even your fellow creatards are not that stupid.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65242 Nov 26, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
polymath257 did not write:
<quoted text>
Postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
How many do you want?
1. The phlogiston theory of heat was rejected because of evidence. later, It was replaced by thermodynamics.
2. The Catastrophist view of geology was rejected because of evidence. It was replaced by plate tectonics.
3. Maxwell's kinetic theory of gases using classical mechanics was rejected because of evidence. it was replaced by a kinetic theory based on quantum mechanics.
4. The theory that species are static was rejected based on evidence. it was replaced by the idea of evolution.
5. The theory that neutrinos are massless was rejected because of the evidence. This allowed a solution to the solar neutrino problem.
6. The Steady State theory of cosmology was rejected because of evidence. It was replaced by the Big Bang theory.
7. Newton's theory of gravity was replaced by general relativity because it fits the evidence better.
8. Newton's theory of mechanics was replaced by quantum mechanics for very small things. Again, this was evidence driven.
9. The plum pudding model of the atom (as suggested by Edison) was rejected when scattering experiments showed there was a nucleus.
10. The ether theory of light was rejected based on evidence. It was replaced by special relativity.
I could go on for much, much longer if you want. you see, science is evidence driven. people make their careers based on showing old ideas are insufficient and backing up their claims with evidence.
No you can't, not without a fair piece of googling. I read the web site where you got this information. LOL!
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65243 Nov 26, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
So Pythagorus and Plato were wrong. It isn't the only example of this. Most of the ideas of the science at that time are now known to be wrong.
You can say the ancients were wrong, but you can't prove it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65244 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
You can say the ancients were wrong, but you can't prove it.
Pi equals 3.141592654.... not 3. There, proven wrong.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65245 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
An appeal to antiquity, not a good fallacy to pull, even your fellow creatards are not that stupid.
Can't handle the ancients knowing more than your god, science?
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65246 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pi equals 3.141592654.... not 3. There, proven wrong.
A never ending decimal is your proof that consciousness does not exist in the brain? You're more confused than I originally thought.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65247 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't handle the ancients knowing more than your god, science?
So you think the Earth is flat? Wow, you don't get out much.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65248 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think the Earth is flat? Wow, you don't get out much.
Your problem is purely perceptual. Thank goodness the mechanics behind life don't depend on your beliefs in order to operate.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65249 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
No you can't, not without a fair piece of googling. I read the web site where you got this information. LOL!
Considering I did this off the top of my head, I know you are lying. isn't that condemned by your religion?
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65250 Nov 26, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering I did this off the top of my head, I know you are lying. isn't that condemned by your religion?
Off the top of your head, or off a web site? Not to worry. Your god, science, won't condemn you since it's degreed minions regularly fudge research results to get government grants.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65251 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is purely perceptual. Thank goodness the mechanics behind life don't depend on your beliefs in order to operate.
Okay, so now you also believe angels hold us down to keep us from floating away.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65252 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so now you also believe angels hold us down to keep us from floating away.
And this from somebody who believes dead matter can magically come to life.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65253 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem, you have magic, we are looking for natural means. Natural means are the exact opposite of magic.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#65254 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you believe firmly that your consciousness is locked up somewhere inside your skull and is powerless to escape it, then you sell yourself short. You are not programmed by genes. Nothing is preordained. You are not the product of scientific or religious beliefs. Nothing happens because it must happen.
You are consciousness expressing as human. YOU make ideas - not your brain. You use your brain to express these ideas. Your body is awareized energy materialized in physical form, but you are not your body. Your thoughts are not you. You are the self that has the thoughts and you can change them. To deny this is to try and force consciousness into some rigid mold. To apply rules to consciousness makes a very neat but restrictive psychological package that impedes rather than enhances your understanding. Why accept a blueprint for reality from others when you are perfectly capable of making your own?
I don't mean this as any kind of threat, or real proposition. But, you claim that consciousness doesn't come from the brain. Would you be willing to have a random chunk taken out of your brain? If not, why not?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65255 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Off the top of your head, or off a web site? Not to worry. Your god, science, won't condemn you since it's degreed minions regularly fudge research results to get government grants.
No, I did not get this from a web site. I claim you are lying.

Fudging research results is a sure way to never get another grant again (it will be discovered by someone and then your career is over).

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#65256 Nov 26, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the atoms in your body is alive. There is nothing 'added' to the matter in your body that makes it alive. So 'dead' matter does, in fact, produce living matter. it is a matter of organization, not of the addition of some life force.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65258 Nov 27, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the atoms in your body is alive. There is nothing 'added' to the matter in your body that makes it alive. So 'dead' matter does, in fact, produce living matter. it is a matter of organization, not of the addition of some life force.
The walking dead, eh? Definitely the stuff of science fiction.

You missed this part: God, a supreme psychic gestalt of consciousness, IS creation - meaning EVERYTHING has consciousness right down to the smallest invisible particle. We, as god-stuff incarnate, have been endowed with all the tools necessary to create sane and just societies. We possess the ability to project our thoughts outward into physical form. This endowment brings a responsibility however, and many are tempted to pay homage to the Christian version of God for the successes of their lives, and blame fate, a devil, and society for their failures. God as creation is neutral. It does not condemn. Does the universe threaten to send us all to eternal damnation? No. We punish ourselves by misusing our God given abilities. We create en masse through our beliefs, decisions and choices both the glories and the terrors that exist within our earthly experience.

Because you are so engrossed with daily matters, you don't realize that there is a portion of you who knows that its own powers are far superior to those shown by the ordinary self. You must cease identifying yourself completely with your ego, and realize that you can perceive more than your ego perceives. You must stop deceiving yourself with science's limited packaged truths. That sort of practice serves a need for a time, but consciousness strives to know, it demands that you utilize your God given abilities and expand your awareness.

"The brain is a computer and consciousness, its non-physical, non-cerebral operator".- Wilder Graves Penfield

Penfield was an eminent neurophysiologist, who created brain charts still in use today. He suspected that the mind was an entity within itself, although he did not know where it existed or where the energy of the mind came from. Penfield found that under anesthesia the human mind continued to work in spite of the brain's inactivity. The brain waves were found to be nearly absent while the mind was just as active as it was in normal states. After surgery, many of his patients could recall minute details of conversations by the surgical team which they validated.

He, along with John C. Eccles and Ragnar Granit, also eminent neurophysiologists, agreed that there is nothing in the brain to account for the high level of experiences and capabilities of the mind. They further qualified these higher capacities as intuition, insight, creativity, imagination, understanding, thought, reasoning, intent, decision, knowing, will, spirit or soul. These are the mysteries of the mind that have been relegated to psychologists and theologians, because science believes they do not lend themselves to study. That's because scientists know that the much acclaimed "scientific method" is useless when it comes to examining the non-physical, so they pass the buck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama to detail his executive action on immigra... 17 min Shinichiro Takizawa 102
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 35 min Jay 162,747
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr ben 1,141,668
Republicans strike early blow in U.S. midterm e... 3 hr MD Newscaster 471
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr Frank 180,620
Terri Schiavo's Painful Deprivation of Food and... (Mar '09) 11 hr kadamson 1,183
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 23 hr IBdaMann 33,221

2012 Presidential Election People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE