Atheists on the march in America

There are 70657 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“fAlSiFiErS”

Since: Apr 10

LoS sKaNdALoUs!

#35635 Jul 27, 2010
JOE, that's because jesus told his followers "close your mind, and open your heart"
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#35636 Jul 27, 2010
yEA Joe! Clean out your ears.[Look of disgust]
datruth

Naples, FL

#35637 Jul 27, 2010
Julia wrote:
Here's a logical progression that even a fifth grader can understand:
'If you believe that it's possible for intelligence to exist in this universe, then you must believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe; and if you believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe, then you are either a Deist or Theist.'
An Intelligent GOD ? As opposed to an unintelligent GOD?
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#35638 Jul 27, 2010
Systematize wrote:
JOE, that's because jesus told his followers "close your mind, and open your heart"
I know,:O(:O(

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#35639 Jul 27, 2010
Ben wrote:
Freedom of religion. Not freedom FROM Religion.
You can't have "freedom of religion" unless you have freedom *from* everyone else's religion imposed upon you by government law or policy.
Ben wrote:
It seems that atheists are getting just as bad as believers at forcing their beliefs (or lack thereof) on others.
Provide an example of where atheists are "forcing" their lack of belief on others.
Ben wrote:
I don't mind them teaching creationism or evolution in schools as theories because neither can be proven at this time.
Creationism isn't a scientific theory. It's a religious belief. As such, it has no reason to be taught in public schools.

And scientific theories are never "proven".
Ben wrote:
No, I have not been followin the school currculum in LA. What is going on there?
Christians are trying to have their religious belief taught in the public school system.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#35640 Jul 27, 2010
jumper wrote:
yEA Joe! Clean out your ears.[Look of disgust]
I did this morning,(look of joy and happiness)

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#35641 Jul 27, 2010
Julia wrote:
if you believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe, then you are either a Deist or Theist.'
Nope. Theists (which includes all deists) are people who believe that a god *does* exist in this universe. Not merely that it is "possible" for one to exist.
Slavic Baptist

Pittsburgh, PA

#35642 Jul 27, 2010
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The above post is 100% false.
Bob, get help.
Slavic Baptist

Pittsburgh, PA

#35643 Jul 27, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Clever.
Palin, huh?
Would America actually elect her? I don't see how you can rule it out.
And is America ready for a PILF and her First Dude? We may find out.
Watching her further dismantle the country would be spellbinding in the same way that watching your pit bull tear up the leather interior of your Mercedes would be. Or a fatal roadside accident.
Doc, thanks for your warm words on the other post. God bless you in all you ways. YEP. Save God from her. She was asked: should we go to war with Russia over Georgia on Caucazus- the Iraq Bush ally? She said: "perhaps so". I'm saying it's not if i'm a russian nationalist. Be honest, i equally love both US and Russia. And they are look the same in many things. But some neocons are real fascists and they need restrain. They are 21 century pharisees. Many good old and some young naive folks screwed by them and their media of lies. It's like bolshevism in Russia. Barely dealt with it for good. As among honest comies there were very good people,like general Zhukov,( he wanted to lower communism slogans, propaganda and influence after ww2, where he was a main hero in Russia, but Hrushev dealt with him first) the same with american neocons. I think many of them will find out the way out soon.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#35644 Jul 27, 2010
Julia wrote:
<quoted text>
But you cannot be an atheist and believe there is intelligent life in this universe.....
You are so wrong. I merely need look to my son's to find intelligent life. While I agree that there may be cognizant and rational beings elsewhere, I will not discount that which I see daily. BTW, I am both a card carrying atheist and a fine example of inteligent life.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#35645 Jul 28, 2010
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You are so wrong. I merely need look to my son's to find intelligent life. While I agree that there may be cognizant and rational beings elsewhere, I will not discount that which I see daily. BTW, I am both a card carrying atheist and a fine example of inteligent life.
For "open minded" people, these mystics sure claim a lot of limitations on the universe!! LOL...I'd agree...you are indeed a "fine example of intelligent life." LOL

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#35646 Jul 28, 2010
Borg3of7 wrote:
<quoted text>
For "open minded" people, these mystics sure claim a lot of limitations on the universe!! LOL...I'd agree...you are indeed a "fine example of intelligent life." LOL
Thank you :), that they feel the need to bypass humanity in their search is ludicrous and telling.

We on the other hand, have not spent our lifetimes giving credit for our ability to reason to a phantom. We then are able to recognize intelligence for what it is, and here among our numbers are many fine examples of exactly that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#35647 Jul 28, 2010
Julia wrote:
Here's a logical progression that even a fifth grader can understand:
'If you believe that it's possible for intelligence to exist in this universe, then you must believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe; and if you believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe, then you are either a Deist or Theist.'
Except that the progression is not logical.

Forget the opening clause; it's obvious that intelligence is possible in this universe, and can be assumed. So drop it.

And if you don't believe that it is possible for an intelligent god or gods to exist in this universe, you could be a deist or theist, but you could also be anything else EXCEPT a gnostic - or hard - atheist, including an agnostic atheist and even a pantheist.

BETTER:

If you believe that it's possible for an intelligent God or gods to exist in this universe, then you are not a gnostic atheist.

This, of course, is merely the definition of the term.

Fennario

#35648 Jul 28, 2010
Epicurus wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't vote. NO CHOICE in my opinion. Besides, in 2 years I will be either in Mexico or most likely Holland.
McCain/Palin was clearly as seriously uninformed team.
Obama/Biden who knows? Obama needs to start kicking ass more, and cease pandering to 'politics as usual.'
Here is something you will enjoy. I think we share many opinions...
http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field...
Thanks very much. I liked it so much that I just posted it on Facebook with this :

"This is what a piece of black space the size of a grain of sand held out at arms length looks like when the Hubble Space Telescope stares at it for a week and a half, while orbiting earth over four hundred times, which image is then converted to a 3D pan of deep space. Very zen, grasshopper!"

Fennario

#35649 Jul 28, 2010
Epicurus wrote:
in 2 years I will be either in Mexico or most likely Holland.
If you'd like to see my part of Mexico, Ajijic, on Lake Chapala, in Jalisco - one of the two major meccas for American expatriates - I'd be happy to show you around.

Fennario

#35650 Jul 28, 2010
Julia wrote:
Now how long will it be before the atheists admit that they are not the center of the universe, nor are they the most intelligent beings in this universe?
And when will the theists recognize that the universe has no center, and that there is as yet no known being more intelligent than man.

Fennario

#35651 Jul 28, 2010
Slavic Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>Doc, thanks for your warm words on the other post. God bless you in all you ways. YEP. Save God from her. She was asked: should we go to war with Russia over Georgia on Caucazus- the Iraq Bush ally? She said: "perhaps so". I'm saying it's not if i'm a russian nationalist. Be honest, i equally love both US and Russia. And they are look the same in many things. But some neocons are real fascists and they need restrain. They are 21 century pharisees. Many good old and some young naive folks screwed by them and their media of lies. It's like bolshevism in Russia. Barely dealt with it for good. As among honest comies there were very good people,like general Zhukov,( he wanted to lower communism slogans, propaganda and influence after ww2, where he was a main hero in Russia, but Hrushev dealt with him first) the same with american neocons. I think many of them will find out the way out soon.
I agree with much of your politics.

I think that &#1043;&#1086;&#10 88;&#1073;&#1072;& #1095;&#1105;&#1074; (I hope that these Cyrillic characters are handled by Topix) was one of the great men of my lifetime, certainly in comparison to his American counterpart.

Fennario

#35652 Jul 28, 2010
<quoted text>
I agree with much of your politics.
I think that &#1043;&#1086;&#10 88;&#1073;&#1072;& #1095;&#1105;&#1074; (I hope that these Cyrillic characters are handled by Topix) was one of the great men of my lifetime, certainly in comparison to his American counterpart.
That should have read Gorbachev.
Nikki

Nieuwerkerken, Belgium

#35653 Jul 28, 2010
<quoted text>
And when will the theists recognize that the universe has no center, and that there is as yet no known being more intelligent than man.
People like Julia make me think of Monty Python's 'galaxy song':

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space cause there's bugger all down here on earth."

Fortunately they appear to be nothing more than a, very vocal, minority. Small mercies and all that...
SupaAFC

London, UK

#35654 Jul 28, 2010
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
People like Julia make me think of Monty Python's 'galaxy song':
"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space cause there's bugger all down here on earth."
Fortunately they appear to be nothing more than a, very vocal, minority. Small mercies and all that...
"Julia" is just d!pshit (ie Detective, Watcher, Poet, etc) under a new sockpuppet spamming the same posts in different threads as always. That thing about atheists denying intelligent life is on the "Experts deny Reality of God" thread too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min MaceohatesWM 1,232,979
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Coffee Party 189,896
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 50 min IND 182,428
News Sarah Palin's fans push for 2012 presidential run (Dec '09) 1 hr DBWriter 11,159
News When It Comes to Dealing With Illegal Immigrati... 7 hr Novus Ordo Seclorum 10
News Tea Party affiliate FreedomWorks refocuses, cha... 9 hr swedenforever 27
News Revenge Voting? Hell Yea (Nov '12) 12 hr pnc 9,369
More from around the web