Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1549179 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

fred

Milford, CT

#770410 Oct 13, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
The official nutjob scorecard....
Split decision? Polls, pundits score Biden-Ryan a draw
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1897478309001/spli...
Use that to beat the nutjobs back when they go all selective on the polls.
America catches up with fred and sees a landslide victory building for President Romney

ROGER L. SIMON: Beyond the Bradley Effect: What’s Really Happening in Election 2012:

A lot of talk has been bandied about over the so-called Bradley Effect, the theory that a number of California voters said they were going to vote for Tom Bradley — the longtime Los Angeles mayor — for governor of that state in a 1982 election because he was African-American, but really voted for his opponent who won.

This theory has been debunked and, frankly, I have no idea of its veracity. More importantly, however, I believe it is passé. Fewer than ever are interested in the color of Obama’s skin (well, maybe Al Sharpton and his claque) or — for that matter — in Mitt Romney’s religion. We have far, far more pressing issues in front of us at this moment.

For that reason, I think the number who vote for Romney/Ryan and then tell no one (at least in the short run) will be significant, so significant that this election may explode and be closer to a blowout than anyone, save a few, had expected.

Since: May 08

Pacific Northwest

#770411 Oct 13, 2012
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
When will the Libs admit that Obama has screwed the nation for the last 3+ years and blamed it all on Bush?
Gosh! You don't REALLY believe that, do you?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#770412 Oct 13, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>
Clint on Biden
“Kind of a grin with a body behind it.” Is Eastwood clairvoyant?
Thanks for acknowledging Reagan's tax raising spree.

that was easy.

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#770413 Oct 13, 2012
WASHINGTON -- During Thursday night's vice presidential debate, Vice President Joe Biden attacked Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) for criticizing the president's stimulus act despite having sent two separate requests for stimulus funds for his district.

Biden was wrong. Ryan sent at least four requests.

A Freedom of Information Act request for correspondence between Ryan's office and the Environmental Protection Agency, filed by The Huffington Post, unearthed two additional instances in which the Wisconsin Republican petitioned for American Recovery Act funds. In addition, there were many other occasions in which the GOP vice presidential nominee asked the EPA for grant money for projects in Wisconsin's 1st District, which encompasses Ryan's hometown of Janesville and has a slight Democratic lean. Combined, the letters muddy Ryan's claim that the stimulus wasn't helpful and that government spending, more broadly, doesn't assist small businesses.

As the AP noted, Ryan made many such petitions while in Congress. He asked the Food Stamps Access Research program to approve a grant proposal by the Kenosha community center for purposes of educating families about the nutritional benefits of food stamps. In 2002, he wrote the Agriculture Department to help with a loan guarantee to develop a pork packing and processing plant for farms. In 2010, he wrote the Department of Health and Human Services to send money to a Kenosha health center to help "thousands of new patients" get coverage.

Paul Ryan letters.........

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109858723/Paul-Ryan -

“I did not request any stimulus money,” he continued.– Ryan said that he would not vote against something “then write to the government to ask them to send us money.”

"No, I never asked for stimulus," Ryan told WCPO-TV on Thursday. "I oppose the stimulus because it doesn't work. It didn't work. It brought us deeper into debt."
fred

Milford, CT

#770414 Oct 13, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
The official nutjob scorecard....
Split decision? Polls, pundits score Biden-Ryan a draw
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1897478309001/spli...
Use that to beat the nutjobs back when they go all selective on the polls.
Crazy Joe exposed himself as a brain damaged lunatic and unfit to be VP.

America gets it.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#770415 Oct 13, 2012
Ryan isn’t “fluent” in foreign policy issues and was always going to have a more difficult time debating them, but he was so weak in the foreign policy sections in part because he had to repeat Romney’s bad arguments. When most of Romney’s criticisms on foreign policy are either unfounded accusations or minor tactical and procedural complaints, it would be challenging for anyone to explain them to an audience in a way that made them seem appealing. That same weakness is going to be on display when Romney addresses these issues in the next two debates, but for now there was probably no real harm done to the Republican ticket.

Another interesting part of the debate was what didn’t happen. Ryan wasn’t asked why a seven-term House member with no meaningful foreign policy experience should be elected to be next in line to the Presidency. Considering how much of the debate was spent on foreign policy and national security issues, the omission was even more remarkable. It would have been a natural question to ask, and it’s one that Ryan wouldn’t be able to answer easily. I assume that everyone already inclined to vote for the Republican ticket decided to overlook this months ago, but that’s not the point. There wasn’t much in Ryan’s answers last night that gave me confidence that he is prepared to become president if that should ever prove necessary.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
Patriot

Longmont, CO

#770416 Oct 13, 2012
The Inflation Rate Is A Lie Too

http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/09/the-inflati...
fred

Milford, CT

#770417 Oct 13, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
How Critics of Obama's Libya Response Profoundly Misunderstand Intelligence
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...
Literally or rhetorically?
Both?
The Kenyan armed al Qaeda in Benghazi who then raped and killed the ambassador on 9/11 while the Kenyan went to bed. The next day the Kenyan flew to Las Vegas for a campaign fund raiser and began the coverup of the terrorist attack.

America gets it.
Grampy

South Windsor, CT

#770418 Oct 13, 2012
Report: More trouble for Jackson Jr.

Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.(D-Ill.)– gone from Congress since June on a medical leave of absence – is now facing a new federal investigation into “suspicious activity” in his finances, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

According to the Sun-Times, federal investigators are looking into Jackson’s finances surrounding his House seat and the “possibility of inappropriate expenditures." This latest probe doesn’t involve the ethical troubles that had been surrounding Jackson in connection with allegations that he used official resources to try and win appointment to President Barack Obama’s old Senate seat, the Sun-Times reported.

The investigation had been active before Jackson took a formal leave of absence on June 10, according to the newspaper. Jackson’s office did not publicly disclose the lawmaker’s leave of absence until two weeks later.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/201...

Depressed? It's funny how crooks get depressed when they are getting caught.....

Anonymous

Carson, VA

#770419 Oct 13, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>
America catches up with fred and sees a landslide victory building for President Romney
ROGER L. SIMON: Beyond the Bradley Effect: What’s Really Happening in Election 2012:
A lot of talk has been bandied about over the so-called Bradley Effect, the theory that a number of California voters said they were going to vote for Tom Bradley — the longtime Los Angeles mayor — for governor of that state in a 1982 election because he was African-American, but really voted for his opponent who won.
This theory has been debunked and, frankly, I have no idea of its veracity. More importantly, however, I believe it is passé. Fewer than ever are interested in the color of Obama’s skin (well, maybe Al Sharpton and his claque) or — for that matter — in Mitt Romney’s religion. We have far, far more pressing issues in front of us at this moment.
For that reason, I think the number who vote for Romney/Ryan and then tell no one (at least in the short run) will be significant, so significant that this election may explode and be closer to a blowout than anyone, save a few, had expected.
Just get out of Afghanistan and all them s#itholes and get the army to fight the Mexican cartels. We should buy California weed
Bill

Miami, FL

#770420 Oct 13, 2012
OldRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Romney's alter ego that's the problem, Mitt Etch-a-sketch?
Nope. The big problem is: A President Romney would lead the nation away from government welfare teat sucking for millions of citizens.(If you are physically and mentally able, you'll have to get off your deadass)
Anonymous

Carson, VA

#770421 Oct 13, 2012
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh! You don't REALLY believe that, do you?
How many vacations and playtime's can one president have? He is a clown and so are you

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#770422 Oct 13, 2012
Wloclawek Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>Were their teachers Democrats?
No. Democrats teach future citizens to think for themselves, to challenge what doesn't seem true (i.e. religion, Romney's promises without supporting details), to formulate their own opinions and not follow those of failed generations (slave owners), to take care of natural resources for future generations, to explore science, to respect others as individuals, to hold the door for those less fortunate. These are all things that Republicans have never been taught, and cannot shut their mouths and open their minds to learn.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#770423 Oct 13, 2012
fred wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy Joe exposed himself as a brain damaged lunatic and unfit to be VP.
America gets it.
Where is 'America' right now? Somewhere around 18% of the voting public?

But what I can't understand is why only 2 percent of 'you' watch FOX.
Bill

Miami, FL

#770424 Oct 13, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Ryan isn’t “fluent” in foreign policy issues and was always going to have a more difficult time debating them, but he was so weak in the foreign policy sections in part because he had to repeat Romney’s bad arguments. When most of Romney’s criticisms on foreign policy are either unfounded accusations or minor tactical and procedural complaints, it would be challenging for anyone to explain them to an audience in a way that made them seem appealing. That same weakness is going to be on display when Romney addresses these issues in the next two debates, but for now there was probably no real harm done to the Republican ticket.
Another interesting part of the debate was what didn’t happen. Ryan wasn’t asked why a seven-term House member with no meaningful foreign policy experience should be elected to be next in line to the Presidency. Considering how much of the debate was spent on foreign policy and national security issues, the omission was even more remarkable. It would have been a natural question to ask, and it’s one that Ryan wouldn’t be able to answer easily. I assume that everyone already inclined to vote for the Republican ticket decided to overlook this months ago, but that’s not the point. There wasn’t much in Ryan’s answers last night that gave me confidence that he is prepared to become president if that should ever prove necessary.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
SFB, Your points would have destroyed your messiahs shot at POTUS. What a pathetic moron (read LIB) you are.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#770425 Oct 13, 2012
Patriot wrote:
The Inflation Rate Is A Lie Too
http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/09/the-inflati...
In fact, the way that the government calculates inflation has changed more than 20 times since 1978.

The government is constantly looking for ways that it can make inflation appear to be even lower.

http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/09/the-inflati...
fred

Milford, CT

#770426 Oct 13, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, the way that the government calculates inflation has changed more than 20 times since 1978.
The government is constantly looking for ways that it can make inflation appear to be even lower.
http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/09/the-inflati...
Obama's Real Unemployment Rate Is 14.7%, And A Recession's On The Way
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Forbes ^| 10/13/2012 | Peter Ferrara

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported last Friday that 114,000 new jobs were created last month, according to its Establishment Survey of business payrolls that has been emphasized by the Obama Administration. That is pitifully weak

Since: Feb 10

ny ny

#770427 Oct 13, 2012
Mitt Romney’s Military Budget Hypocrisy

Romney’s pledge to increase military spending by 4 percent of GDP would add at least $2 trillion to federal spending over 10 years. That invalidates every specific cut he has proposed—and the math doesn’t begin to add up.

This week, Mitt reiterated one of his most expensive and longstanding political panders—a commitment to increase military spending to 4 percent of GDP—adding at least $2 trillion to federal spending over 10 years.

The audacity of the etch-a-sketch meant that this specific budget-busting promise was so big that it almost went unchallenged—and certainly it hasn’t yet reached the level of mainstream, Main Street debate.

It single-handedly invalidates every specific cut he has proposed—which essentially consists of social conservative low-hanging fruit like “eliminating Title X Family Planning Funding”($300 million), reducing foreign aid ($100 million), privatizing Amtrak ($1.6 billion) and reducing “Subsidies For the National Endowments for the Arts And Humanities, The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, And the Legal Services Corporation ($600 Million). And of course, we can’t forget the pricetag placed by the Romney campaign on the not yet fully-implemented Obamacare ($95 billion). You do the math.

Even if you believe Mitt on the magically paid for, completely painless $5 trillion tax cut, adding in this specific commitment to spend more than ever before on our military puts us on the path to further future deficits.

The libertarian Cato Institute’s Benjamin Friedman expressed more pointed skepticism:“I don’t view it as a serious policy proposal. It seems like more of a talking point. What Obama said in the debate is true—it would add about $2 trillion in spending over a decade,” Friedman said.“It’s totally unclear where he would get the money to do this…[and] Romney is not going to articulate exactly what he would do to get there, because it would almost certainly be wildly unpopular.”

Maybe there is some cynical sleight of hand that makes all this impossible math work—like letting the Bush tax cuts expire on December 31st and then making the Romney tax cuts begin from that new higher baseline, while simultaneously saving the country from the largest tax cut in history (cue the conquering hero trumpets).

But it has been surreal to see the allegedly fiscal conservative candidate beat up the Democrat for proposing spending cuts. Romney is running instead as a $2 trillion big government Keynesian when it comes to the military industrial complex while proposing comparatively small but devastating cuts to social programs as a sign of what a tough fiscal disciplinarian he’s going to be. It’s absurd.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#770428 Oct 13, 2012
It was on foreign policy where Ryan was most obviously outmatched, as I assumed he would be. Especially in the sections of the debate on Afghanistan and Syria, Ryan was stuck defending Romney’s very similar positions on both while trying to argue against administration policy. It wasn’t an enviable task, and Ryan was limited by what he had to work with, but it doesn’t change the fact that Ryan didn’t inspire much confidence that he is prepared to be president if the need arose. It’s not surprising that Ryan didn’t do very well in these sections. He isn’t “fluent” on foreign policy, and that should have been obvious all along. Ryan’s boosters did him a great disservice by pretending that he was.

Ryan’s limited experience on foreign policy was on display all night. Perhaps the most painful moments were when he attacked the administration’s response to the Green movement. This was the clearest example of Ryan’s reliance on standard movement conservative talking points on foreign policy for the entire debate, and it was clear that he thought that everyone was supposed to find this damning so that all he had to do was mention it.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
fred

Milford, CT

#770429 Oct 13, 2012
Alloramadai wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Democrats teach future citizens to think for themselves, to challenge what doesn't seem true (i.e. religion, Romney's promises without supporting details), to formulate their own opinions and not follow those of failed generations (slave owners), to take care of natural resources for future generations, to explore science, to respect others as individuals, to hold the door for those less fortunate. These are all things that Republicans have never been taught, and cannot shut their mouths and open their minds to learn.
Nonsense. Kenyan Democrats are communists who demand conformity and servile loyalty. Republicans are free thinkers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 241,649
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 21 min Silent Echo 8,690
News President Trump hits Obama over response to Rus... 46 min swampmudd 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 49 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 274,841
News Obama's secret struggle to punish Russia for Pu... 2 hr Red Crosse 72
News Trump's poll numbers are in a very, very bad place 3 hr RiccardoFire 436
News GOP governors don't see 'Obamacare' going away (Oct '14) 3 hr CORNALACHIA CORNB... 218
More from around the web