Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1520695 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

THE NAUVOO LEGION

Toronto, Canada

#768403 Oct 11, 2012
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello???
I hope you're not breast feeding your little cub.
WHY? YOU WANNA DO IT?

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#768404 Oct 11, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Do Vice Presidential Debates Matter?
Because Ryan has not been in a debate at this level before, more people will be looking for missteps from him. Whether his supporters want to believe it or not, Ryan is at a disadvantage on foreign policy, and that is where he could get into trouble. I expect that he will be disciplined and careful enough not to say anything too alarming or foolish, and he will probably keep coming back to generic affirmations of “peace through strength,” opposing cuts in military spending, and the need for “leadership.” There aren’t any voters at this point that will abandon Romney-Ryan over Ryan’s lack of foreign policy experience. Anyone concerned about that has already taken it into account. The only danger for Ryan is if he conveys that lack of experience by saying something completely absurd. Expectations for Ryan should be much lower than they are, but inexplicably many Republicans seem intent on raising them because of their overconfidence in his talents.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
All Ryan has to say is "Mr Vice President, please tell us about Benghazi. It will be over.

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#768405 Oct 11, 2012
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Bush years already amassed too much debt for your grandkids or your great grandkids to deal with"
And Obama tripeled it.
Obama has not tripled the debt.

Get informed. Quit embarrassing your kids.
Jonathan Hemlock

New York, NY

#768406 Oct 11, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
A new book about Strom Thurmond, the openly racist senator from South Carolina (he ran as a "Dixiecrat" against Truman in 1948) details how Thurmond's switch from the Democratic Party to the GOP in 1964 was the harbinger and instigator for that shift to a solidly Republican South. Eventually the party became somewhat less overt in its public statements but not in its appeal at the voting booth.
Which means in practice that the GOP starts out every presidential election with (depending on census changes in electoral vote numbers) some 100 electoral votes, more than a third of the way to the 270 electoral votes needed for victory.
Is it an accident that these 100 votes come from the core states of the Old Confederacy—Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina?
Looked at another way, as things stand, there would be no presidential "race" at the moment if it weren't for those ex-confederate states—even if they split their votes. Mitt Romney would have little or no chance of winning and might as well quit the race now. Nor would the GOP have much chance of re-taking the Senate or even winning the House again. They would be dead as a political party if not for the legacy of racism. I think that's a fact. Do you think it's "he said/she said"?
That doesn’t mean that all Southern whites vote GOP only because of race. But when I checked in with the careful historian of Nixon’s Southern Strategy, Rick Perlstein, author of books on the Goldwater and Nixon phenomena, he suggested that recent research has demonstrated that racial attitudes—as opposed to mere conservatism on other policy issues—determine Republican votes in the South.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
As LONG AS u KNOW THE FOUNDATION OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY IS BIGOTRY AND RACEISM
THE NAUVOO LEGION

Toronto, Canada

#768407 Oct 11, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Strom Thurmond raped a maid in his household and had a black daughter that he somewhat supported, but didn't acknowledge until his will was read...what a patriot...
WELL, TO BE FAIR SO DID THOM JEFFERSON...

Since: Jul 08

We will not go gentle

#768408 Oct 11, 2012
leosnagajob wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of money, I'm more concerned with what Obama has done to our money with his inside friends than your moronic hyperbole and what Romney did with his own money...
FIRST SOLYNDRA, NOW ABOUND SOLAR: Obama administration feeling heat to explain another failed taxpayer-funded loan guarantee to a bankrupt solar company — and whether officials knew of serious problems with its technology.
When it rains, it pours...
You know I can't hear you when you lie? " During the Bush Administration, Abound, then known as AVA Solar, received a $3m DOE grant and was fostered in the agency's Photovoltaic Module Incubator. Another arm of the government, the US Export-Import Bank, backed Abound's sales to India.

In addition to the federal financing, Abound had gathered $300m in private investment since 2007, from backers including The Invus Group, BP Alternative Energy and DCM.

Abound says in a statement it was unable to reach an agreement with potential buyers over the last several months and was forced to close."
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#768409 Oct 11, 2012
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>You can google kilowatt hour costs by state to learn the pricing. FL average is about 11. 8 cents per, VA is but 10.5 cents per and PA over 13 cents per. Those are raw costs at the meter but there are other costs, taxes and fees involved in the monthly bill totals. Also, some in Florida and elsewhere purchase through co-ops or city utilities and generally get hosed.
My homes are total electric as yours probably is but up nawth folks use electric, oil and/or natural gas__sometimes all three. Oil heat, gas hot water and cooking and electric for lighting (domestic electric).
Yes, and we used less this time last year, I should check what the bill was. It's been really hot this summer, even all night. Today is a beautiful day, cooling just a little. At least it has stopped raining, it rained for a month straight.
Jane Says

New York, NY

#768410 Oct 11, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>We just bought an extra blanket so we should be good. I am more concerned with you and you crappy insurance should, God Forbid, something bad afflict you or your family. Hopefully National healthcare reform will keep you from being wiped out in the event of a tragedy.
yes, and if you want to practice, the next time Apple releases a new I-phone, you and the family can wait on line on the sidewalk, outside Best Buy for days.
carol

Orlando, FL

#768411 Oct 11, 2012
Someone has probably already mentioned this but the moderator of the vice presidential debate tonight had a special guest at her wedding in 1991...Barack Obama.

Guess we can count on no bias there.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#768412 Oct 11, 2012
Jonathan Hemlock wrote:
<quoted text>YOU just CALLED SOMEonE A KAFFIR wow do they know what that means WHERE IS DUM DEM
I put 'unbeliever' in parentheses --you could be correct-they may not know what that means either.:P

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#768413 Oct 11, 2012
abbynormall wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what should have been done in the first place, rather than sponsoring a destructive, ill-conceived government takeover.
Well, why didn't the Republicans do it?

BTW,there is no government takeover of healthcre.

We buy policies from private insurance company to get care with private providers.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#768414 Oct 11, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, plus they went there to ogle the girls in their Hooter outfits and then didn't want to tip. As I said, I'm sure his guests were really impressed.
If they had wanted to 'ogle' girls I would have taken them to JB's Gallary of Gitls! The food is better, the far less dressed, and they actually work for their tips! They wanted Hooter Wings. Who was I to say no. Most of those girls are working their way through college. Not going deep in debt to go to college.

We will not go gentle

#768415 Oct 11, 2012
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>From chapter 1 of Cone’s Black Theology and Black Power, the section aptly entitled,“Black Power and the White Liberal,”
The liberal white man is a strange creature; he verbalizes the right things. He intellectualizes on the racial problem beautifully. He denounces racists, conservatives, and the moderately liberal.[...] But he is still white to the very core of his being. What he fails to realize is that there is no place for him in this war of survival. Blacks do not want his patronizing, condescending words of sympathy.[...] However, there are places in the Black Power picture for ‘radicals,’ that is, for men, white or black, who are prepared to risk life for freedom. There are places for the John Browns, men who hate evil and refuse to tolerate it anywhere.”(27-28)
I'm sure you read the whole damn book, Bitch? BTW, Beyonce backed out of Eastwood movie...you go, girl!
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#768417 Oct 11, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Strom Thurmond raped a maid in his household and had a black daughter that he somewhat supported, but didn't acknowledge until his will was read...what a patriot...
That was quite a story

&NR =1&feature=endscreen

John Lennon, 1968
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#768418 Oct 11, 2012
Florida wrote:
<quoted text>Florida has a ton of Post numbers, Realtime hating on and railroading Hispanics...
-
It's the culture...
Realtime also hates Italians, Poles, Irish, etc.....an equal opportunity bigot.....
THE NAUVOO LEGION

Toronto, Canada

#768419 Oct 11, 2012
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>From chapter 1 of Cone’s Black Theology and Black Power, the section aptly entitled,“Black Power and the White Liberal,”
The liberal white man is a strange creature; he verbalizes the right things. He intellectualizes on the racial problem beautifully. He denounces racists, conservatives, and the moderately liberal.[...] But he is still white to the very core of his being. What he fails to realize is that there is no place for him in this war of survival. Blacks do not want his patronizing, condescending words of sympathy.[...] However, there are places in the Black Power picture for ‘radicals,’ that is, for men, white or black, who are prepared to risk life for freedom. There are places for the John Browns, men who hate evil and refuse to tolerate it anywhere.”(27-28)
MEN LIKE LEO, YOU SAYIN'? WHAT YOU SAYIN' BITCH? AN' WHO TELL YOU TO GET YOU WHITE ASS OUT THE KITCHEN? NOW MAKE DEBIL A SANDWICH. AN' A BEER; GET HIM A BEER!
Jane Says

New York, NY

#768420 Oct 11, 2012
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>"“Black racism is a myth created by whites to ease their guilt feelings. As long as whites can be assured that blacks are racists, they can find reasons to justify their own oppression of’ black people.”
— James H. Cone Black Theology and Black Power"
I'd really love to beat the crap outa' you--up close and personal...maybe I'm having a bad day?
we get it. all that black on black crime that happens EVERY DAY anywhere they live, is just regular non-hate crime. and when blacks attack whites, it is only because they want to STEAL from them, and not because there is any racial animosity. or when pack of beasts go wilding or flash mobbing and only attacked whites, that was accidental and not racist, even when they yell anti-white slurs.

got it.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#768421 Oct 11, 2012
Why America needs White History Month

Viewing the past through the lens of privilege obscures who got hurt in the process. White America needs saving from its myopia

The Republican presidential campaign has persuaded me. Not to vote for Mitt Romney, God no. They have, however, convinced me of something else I previously considered unthinkable. In some ways, the idea betrays my black nationalist inclinations, but having witnessed the GOP's flailing for the past year and a half as they've tried to mount a campaign to unseat President Obama, I've finally come around.

We need a White History Month.

For anyone who speaks on issues of race publicly, the idea has long been a joke – a retort thrown at you from frustrated white folks who believe they are being discriminated against because there doesn't exist a special month set aside to celebrate their racial identity. They cry foul at the notion of Black History Month, Black Entertainment Television, Black Enterprise and everything else with "black" in the title – even, sometimes, going so far as to say these things are racist in nature because their names and missions are "discriminatory". It's preposterous, but they counter that they need a White History Month to provide balance and equality.

After laughing this off for years, I'm now on the same page.

I don't mean White History in the same way we (attempt) to celebrate Black History during February, or Women's History in March. Where these are intended to correct an imbalance in the way history is celebrated from an overwhelming white male perspective, White History Month need not rehash the tales of great white heroism. We need a different approach here.

I mean for us to have a White History Month in the way James Baldwin once suggested a White History Week. During a speech before the National Press Club in 1986, he presented the idea and was later questioned about the seriousness of his remark. He responded:

"I was not joking about White History Week … I'm serious about that. White Americans really do not not know their history, and that's one of the reasons they're in trouble. And when I suggest White History Week, I'm not making a parody of Black History Week, but I'm suggesting that the truth about this country is buried in the myths that white people have about themselves. These myths have to be excavated and only can be excavated by white people."

Most of the history we learn is built on myths. Even the black history we choose to teach in response to eurocentric learning is centered around myths. But those myths are meant to help a people reclaim a history long denied to them, to instil self-esteem in the face of disempowerment. It may not be exactly ideal, but the rationale is at least noble. The myths of white American history perpetuate oppression and inequality. They instil in white America a false sense of self-imperviousness to facts or logic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/...
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#768422 Oct 11, 2012
carol wrote:
Someone has probably already mentioned this but the moderator of the vice presidential debate tonight had a special guest at her wedding in 1991...Barack Obama.
Guess we can count on no bias there.
So?

We will not go gentle

#768423 Oct 11, 2012
THE NAUVOO LEGION wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL, TO BE FAIR SO DID THOM JEFFERSON...
Truth be told, Thom didn't even do right by Sally in his will...I think his niece or sister in law or somebody finally had to free her and the kids...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 16 min Chicagoan by Birth 265,025
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 16 min AND THE WINNER IS... 8,406
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min Saint Donald 240,292
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 1 hr spocko 1,472
News FBI used controversial dossier in Russia-Trump ... 4 hr Chilli J 102
News Ron Paul on the Verge of Going Third Party? (Jan '08) 17 hr UidiotRaceMakeWOR... 29,313
News Next 25 Articles Sat Yeti 5
More from around the web