Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1405088 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#764282 Oct 8, 2012
Kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would review my posts, you’ll find that I castigate on one blindly, but in fact go out of my way not to do so, even when personally insulted. I do, however, reserve the right to reprimand posters of any political persuasion who offer nothing reasonable, but only personal insults, but I don’t do it blindly as evidenced by my effort to tell offenders specifically what I find offensive. Of course, that too annoys them, as one might expect.
As a former Republican, I still like what the GOP once represented. However, it was hijacked first by extremist Christian fundamentalists and more recently by the so-called Tea Party and has become a party of anti-intellectual, anti-reasoning, anti-negotiating people who behave without showing respect for those with whom they disagree, or even truth.
I am an independent, not a Democrat, who fears that the strength of our two party system has suffered a major loss by the failure of the GOP. Democrats still reason, but many people marching in the Republican column are now goose-stepping Teanderthals.
You misunderstand and misrepresented what I believe about the economic decline of Newport. I was not castigating anyone for anything. It was a hard time for Newport and many people there suffered economically, as street walkers and bust out clubs replaced call girls and casinos. I favor legalization of prostitution and gambling with government regulation to help insure safety and health.
My comment to you personally is that my views on life are more complex than everything fitting into two opposing categories, as I suspect is likely true for you too.
Your post:

Kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
Strip joints in my conservative Cincinnati? No way!
While Cincinnati was the home of Larry Flynt’s Hustler Bar, we’re extremely Bible Belt, and Cincinnati was sanitized of all sin, partly as a result of that. Traditionally, all sin was restricted to Northern Kentucky, just south of the Ohio River, where the Cities of Newport and Covington complete the metropolitan area we call Greater Cincinnati. Newport was known as Sin City and hosted numerous illegal casinos until the do-gooders sanitized it too back in the 1960’s. Since then, with its main source of income cut off, Newport sank to the pit of economic depression and it became saturated with prostitution, brothels, bust-out joints (feel free to ask if you don’t know) and back room numbers games. Newport has managed to pull itself up by the bootstraps by building an upscale restaurant complex and a world class aquarium. However, the notorious and aptly named Brass Ass Bar remains open on the main drag through town: http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-208-t ....
Of course, on local radio and TV stations, they politely refer to this last outpost of Newport’s hayday as the Brass Mule: http://chrisglass.com/album/2011/04/28/the-br .... But everyone knows its real name. There’s nothing very sophisticated going on here. If RNC came to Cincinnati, plenty of its ranks would make pilgrimage to pay their re$pect$ to the ladies there, one note at a time.
Nobama

Norristown, PA

#764283 Oct 8, 2012
Obama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>...and the stockmarket is hitting record highs.
in anticipation of President Romney's victory....

Obama is toast....not only because of the economy, but because of dangerous foreign policy.....and his demonstrated incompetence during the debate....

“GONE FISHING”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#764286 Oct 8, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds way too much like the Hitler Youth.....
Yesbama Heil Romney

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#764287 Oct 8, 2012
I have discussions with many different types of people. Occassionally, I hear something interesting. How about this for what's being said by the Mexicans in Texas:

My wife works in a garden center that serves less-than-upper class neighborhoods. The Mexicans spend money there they say comes from Obama. To explain this, they actually claim that Bush stole the money from them, and Obama is just giving that money Bush stole from them back to them. They say this as if they actually believe it.

Anyone want to comment on this?
Nobama

Norristown, PA

#764288 Oct 8, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
They?
Look around. I'm not one of the 'they'. Bunch of other folks aren't either.
Rephrase.
all Americans will have better lives without Obama....President Romney will lead us out of the Obama Depression....rejoice and smell the roses....
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#764289 Oct 8, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds way too much like the Hitler Youth.....
For real!!!!!!

Hitler Youth

"We are the joyous Hitler Youth. We need no Christian virtue, for our leader is Adolf Hitler. He is our deliverer and intercessor. No Cleric, no evil doer can hinder us, for we consider ourselves Hitler-Children. Not Christ we follow, but Horst Wessel."--A song for Hitler Youth (Blackburn, p. 85).

"Our flag flutters before us. In the future we'll pull man for man. We march for Hitler through night and through suffering, with our banner of freedom and bread. Our flag flutters before us. Our flag represents the new era. And the flag carries us into eternity! Our banner means more to us than death."--Words from the Hitler Youth Anthem (Koch, p. 81).

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!!
REAL EXPERIENCE For America-IN America-not divide and destroy!!

“GONE FISHING”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#764290 Oct 8, 2012
Right-Wing Media Claim The Unemployment Stats Are Bogus

Which is funny, because during the 8 years of Bush when liberals said the BLS Numbers were bogus all the Republicans slammed them and said they are wrong. But suddenly when the unemployment report comes out under Obama with good news, all the right-wing loons scream it was fixed.

But even Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs admitted the numbers are accurate. Dobbs said this on Friday night:

DOBBS: "It's good news for President Obama, but it doesn't really describe the state of unemployment and real pain in the country. 23-million Americans remain unemployed or have given up hope of being employed."

Dobbs also dismissed the notion that the Bureau of Labor Statistics manipulated the unemployment figure.

"That's nonsense! The last thing that anyone should be looking at in these numbers is somebody cooking the books."
Now tell that to Hannity, Limbaugh, Guilfoyle, Welch, etc. Shortly after the BLS announced that the unemployment rate had fallen to 7.8%, former GE CEO Jack Welch tweeted this: "Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers."

Welch's tweet was quickly highlighted by the Drudge Report. Since then, conservative media figures, including multiple Fox News personalities, have tried to cast doubt on the new jobs numbers.

Here is a partial list of loons that say the numbers are bogus: Stuart Varney, Todd Starnes, Laura Ingraham, Eric Bolling, Joe Scarborough, Monica Crowley, Martha MacCullum, and more.

Now the facts: Jesse Eisinger, the senior reporter for finance at ProPublica and a former seven-year Wall Street Journal reporter said this:

This is complete fantasy. It is yet another one of these right-wing denialist ideas. They're perennial ideas that government statistics are manipulated. These are flawed measures, certainly, but the flaws are not due to any partisanship.

These are done by reputable civil servants. There is almost no way that these numbers could be manipulated for political gain. It doesn't hold up in any way you think about it.

Since: Dec 10

Mastic, NY

#764291 Oct 8, 2012
keyedup wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION
I am a dumb hick from Kentucky can't type or spell and Jealous of all you educated folk...
si si senior stupido

Oh I see you are a typical Osucker supporter.

We need the loser out before its to late.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#764292 Oct 8, 2012
Tournefort wrote:
<quoted text>
Meanwhile, rules of engagement in Afghanistan put soldiers lives at greater risk:
"Reports indicate U.S. soldiers and British Royal Marines have been urged to show "courageous constraint" by not shooting Taliban members spotted planting IEDs.
The reason? Shooting them might disturb the locals.
This news comes out on the heels of an investigation into the death of Royal Marine Sergeant Peter Rayner, whom witnesses say watched the Taliban plant IEDs at night but was ordered not to engage them. Families of other soldiers and Royal Marines are telling stories of how their loved ones were not allowed to use mortars or night illumination when they came across Taliban members in an area full of IEDs.
The reason given was that "the sound of shooting 'might wake up and upset the locals.'"
This is not "courageous restraint" -- this is appeasement."
"U.S. commanders, citing new rules to avoid civilian casualties, rejected repeated calls to unleash artillery rounds at attackers dug into the slopes and tree lines -- despite being told repeatedly that they weren't near the village." In other words, McChrystal's soldiers on the ground wanted protection to save their lives - and didn't get it."
Yup. The influence of our so-called "Commander in Chief" being on the side of the Taliban is obvious.

What's the latest on Obama surrendering to the Taliban?
I guess the Taliban and Al Qaeda being allowed to plant IEDs is part of Obama's promise to the Taliban (this, and Al Qaeda) that they will be part of the future government of Afghanistan.

An idiot can see that Obama is on the side of the Islamist terrorists.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#764293 Oct 8, 2012
keyedup wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION
I am a dumb hick from Kentucky can't type or spell and Jealous of all you educated folk...
Call the CONs-ervative hotline: 1-800-WHINE.
Being as I would tend to recommend a web site for further enlightenment--giving second thought, with ones like you in mind-
actually, that whineline might be a better solution for ones like you.

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!!

“GONE FISHING”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#764294 Oct 8, 2012
Biased O'Reilly Tells Romney To Call Obama A Socialist

So much for O'Reilly being a non-partisan Independent, he might as well be working for the Romney campaign.

On the Tuesday Factor show he told Romney to call Obama a socialist, even after he has admitted that he does not think Obama is a socialist.

O'Reilly is a biased right-wing hack, who has 95% right-wing guests on and who covers for Romney, while slamming everything Obama does. A couple months ago O'Reilly even said the Republican party should use scare tactics against Obama, after slamming the Democrats for what he called scare tactics using Medicare. And recently he called for Romney to dishonestly blame Obama for high gas prices, even though he has admitted the President is not to blame, the oil speculators are.

It's ridiculous, especially when it comes from a man who claims to be a non-partisan Independent who does not have a dog in the fight, and a no spin zone. O'Reilly is dishonest in his Independent claims, so why should anyone believe anything he says, answer; they should not believe him.

Every word out of his mouth is nothing but his biased right-wing opinion, and he always agrees with the Republicans, as he is constantly slamming Obama and the Democrats with right-wing spin and propaganda.
Nobama

Norristown, PA

#764295 Oct 8, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
For real!!!!!!
Hitler Youth
"We are the joyous Hitler Youth. We need no Christian virtue, for our leader is Adolf Hitler. He is our deliverer and intercessor. No Cleric, no evil doer can hinder us, for we consider ourselves Hitler-Children. Not Christ we follow, but Horst Wessel."--A song for Hitler Youth (Blackburn, p. 85).
"Our flag flutters before us. In the future we'll pull man for man. We march for Hitler through night and through suffering, with our banner of freedom and bread. Our flag flutters before us. Our flag represents the new era. And the flag carries us into eternity! Our banner means more to us than death."--Words from the Hitler Youth Anthem (Koch, p. 81).
ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!!
REAL EXPERIENCE For America-IN America-not divide and destroy!!
Americans owe their loyalty only to the country....not to any man or any political party.....
fred

Milford, CT

#764296 Oct 8, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Defining Conservative Down
Today's parties are neither Jeffersonians nor Hamiltonians, but social democrats.
.....those who were ranting at the GOP convention about our duty to spread human rights globally did not sound even vaguely “conservative.” They seemed to be imitating the zealots of the French Revolution who sought to carry their “Rights of Man” at bayonet point to the entire human race. No one has ever explained to me how this radical revolutionary foreign policy is in any sense conservative.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...
The French revolution was the first communist revolution and spread dictatorship. duh

The conservative revolution spread democracy.#Reagan

Nobama

Norristown, PA

#764297 Oct 8, 2012
keyedup wrote:
Right-Wing Media Claim The Unemployment Stats Are Bogus
Which is funny, because during the 8 years of Bush when liberals said the BLS Numbers were bogus all the Republicans slammed them and said they are wrong. But suddenly when the unemployment report comes out under Obama with good news, all the right-wing loons scream it was fixed.
But even Bill O'Reilly and Lou Dobbs admitted the numbers are accurate. Dobbs said this on Friday night:
DOBBS: "It's good news for President Obama, but it doesn't really describe the state of unemployment and real pain in the country. 23-million Americans remain unemployed or have given up hope of being employed."
Dobbs also dismissed the notion that the Bureau of Labor Statistics manipulated the unemployment figure.
"That's nonsense! The last thing that anyone should be looking at in these numbers is somebody cooking the books."
Now tell that to Hannity, Limbaugh, Guilfoyle, Welch, etc. Shortly after the BLS announced that the unemployment rate had fallen to 7.8%, former GE CEO Jack Welch tweeted this: "Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers."
Welch's tweet was quickly highlighted by the Drudge Report. Since then, conservative media figures, including multiple Fox News personalities, have tried to cast doubt on the new jobs numbers.
Here is a partial list of loons that say the numbers are bogus: Stuart Varney, Todd Starnes, Laura Ingraham, Eric Bolling, Joe Scarborough, Monica Crowley, Martha MacCullum, and more.
Now the facts: Jesse Eisinger, the senior reporter for finance at ProPublica and a former seven-year Wall Street Journal reporter said this:
This is complete fantasy. It is yet another one of these right-wing denialist ideas. They're perennial ideas that government statistics are manipulated. These are flawed measures, certainly, but the flaws are not due to any partisanship.
These are done by reputable civil servants. There is almost no way that these numbers could be manipulated for political gain. It doesn't hold up in any way you think about it.
come December, after the election, the September unemployment figures will be "adjusted".....

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#764298 Oct 8, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Defining Conservative Down
Today's parties are neither Jeffersonians nor Hamiltonians, but social democrats.
.....those who were ranting at the GOP convention about our duty to spread human rights globally did not sound even vaguely “conservative.” They seemed to be imitating the zealots of the French Revolution who sought to carry their “Rights of Man” at bayonet point to the entire human race. No one has ever explained to me how this radical revolutionary foreign policy is in any sense conservative.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...
How about this for conservative foreign policy:

We bomb and kill Taliban until they surrender to the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
That means there is no negotiating with them, or like Obama does, give them safe passage throughout the country of Afghanistan so they can destabilize the Karzai government and take the country over again.

Let's go over that again for the slow students in the class:

We bomb and kill Taliban until they surrender to the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

Any questions?

“GONE FISHING”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#764299 Oct 8, 2012
Bill O'Reilly is the

residual shit on the toilet tissue, sometimes mixed with blood, that persists no matter how much you wipe your ass. Sometimes it appears as a mysterious skid mark stain in your underwear despite using a whole roll of toilet paper to wipe
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#764300 Oct 8, 2012
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see....
"Obama cut taxes."
"The Bush tax cuts cause the deficit."
... do you see a pattern here?
You idiots need to get your story straight before you go out in public and run your ignorant mouths.
Obama did cut taxes.

Obama has raised some taxes during his presidency, but he’s also pursued broad-based tax cuts for the middle class and small businesses. We particularly give weight here to the tax cuts that were part of the stimulus and the payroll tax holiday, which reduced taxes for broad swaths of the workforce. Some small businesses may have been hit by new taxes that were part of Obama’s health law, but these would depend on the particular circumstances of each business. Also, there were new taxes on cigarettes and indoor tanning.

Obama said he has "cut taxes for those who need it – middle-class families, small businesses." He has, but he also has raised some taxes. So while his statement is accurate, it lacks that additional context. We rate his claim Mostly True.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

The Bush cuts didn't cause the deficit, but are adding to it in a hurry because of reduced revenues. You know, those revenues that are ignored every time some nutjob starts talking about 'Obama's deficit'.

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#764301 Oct 8, 2012
DBWriter wrote:
I have discussions with many different types of people. Occassionally, I hear something interesting. How about this for what's being said by the Mexicans in Texas:
My wife works in a garden center that serves less-than-upper class neighborhoods. The Mexicans spend money there they say comes from Obama. To explain this, they actually claim that Bush stole the money from them, and Obama is just giving that money Bush stole from them back to them. They say this as if they actually believe it.
Anyone want to comment on this?
Yep, I'm sure.

Bush was all about the availability of cheap labor. Just like Paul Ryan.

Got anymore lies?
Obama 2012

Virginia Beach, VA

#764302 Oct 8, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
in anticipation of President Romney's victory....
Obama is toast....not only because of the economy, but because of dangerous foreign policy.....and his demonstrated incompetence during the debate....
President Obama will win the November election by a landslide, possibly by the largest margin in American history. A vast majority of Americans are extremely pleased with the accomplishments President Obama has made during his first term.
OBAMA-BIDEN 2012 - CONTINUING TO MOVE AMERICA FORWARD!
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#764303 Oct 8, 2012
keyedup wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay??????mulittasking??????re allms
I prove I'm a dumb hick from Kentucky that can't type or spell every time I post...
It's inbreeding stupid in them there hills
Okay--here's some more words fer yew lol--
If only closed minds came with closed mouths.~As seen on a button at evolvefish.com

(EVOLVEfish LOL)

We are each burdened with prejudice; against the poor or the rich, the smart or the slow, the gaunt or the obese. It is natural to develop prejudices. It is noble to rise above them.~Author Unknown

Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.~Merry Browne

Prejudices are the chains forged by ignorance to keep men apart.~Countess of Blessington

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other causes for prejudice by noon.~George Aiken

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!
EXPERIENCE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Jacques in Orleans 219,622
News Donald Trump encourages Russia to hack Hillary ... 20 min Fit2Serve 23
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 28 min Cornelius Scudmister 233,375
News How Democratic VP Candidate Tim Kaine Evolved o... 1 hr Le Jimbo 11
News Democrats fire warning shots at Hillary - and s... 1 hr Le Jimbo 2
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr Brian_G 35,562
News Obama Expands Refugee Program for Central Ameri... 7 hr Cordwainer Trout 4
More from around the web