Candidates come calling on disenchant...

Candidates come calling on disenchanted Somali voters

There are 100 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Candidates come calling on disenchanted Somali voters. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

The number of Somalis who have become citizens and are registered to vote in this area might be small - perhaps 11,000, maybe less - but candidates are reaching out to the growing voting bloc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
No More Illegals

Westerville, OH

#88 Oct 20, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And how would you "personally" know that about the majority of roughly 50,000 people?
Read the post, listen to the projected numbers. They are huge. In fact the number may be even higher than 50,000.

Those that are here illegally get Free Section 8 housing, free healthcare, free education, free welfare EBT, free childcare, free cell phones ( www.safelinkwirelss.com ), allowances for everything.
They overburden the social services agencies all over Central Ohio. A local doctor's office has to hire spanish translators for the illegals that come to his office. He cannot turn them away, and guess what they do not pay a nickel.

ALL AT TAX PAYER EXPENSE> Now do you think this is OK?

We give these illegal vermine more than our veterans. Pathetic.
Reader25

Columbus, OH

#89 Oct 20, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
How about people who haven't been here long enough yet to become citizens?
You misunderstood.

Only slightly half are able to BECOME citizens. Why can't the rest?
Reader25

Columbus, OH

#90 Oct 20, 2010
Page 27: Female mutilation is occurring in the United States (although illegal). Would love to hear the candidates address that!

http://docs.google.com/viewer...
Reader

Columbus, OH

#91 Oct 20, 2010
No More Illegals wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the post, listen to the projected numbers. They are huge. In fact the number may be even higher than 50,000.
Those that are here illegally get Free Section 8 housing, free healthcare, free education, free welfare EBT, free childcare, free cell phones ( www.safelinkwirelss.com ), allowances for everything.
They overburden the social services agencies all over Central Ohio. A local doctor's office has to hire spanish translators for the illegals that come to his office. He cannot turn them away, and guess what they do not pay a nickel.
ALL AT TAX PAYER EXPENSE> Now do you think this is OK?
We give these illegal vermine more than our veterans. Pathetic.
You are sadly misinformed. There are many doctors who refuse Medicaid patients and will accept those without insurance on a cash only basis. Hiring translators for non-English speakers (and there are multiple ways to access translators) is baseline medical practice--to ensure that the physician receives good information and that treatment can be properly communicated. And this article was about Somali citizens, who don't speak Spanish in any case.

There is no "free" childcare. There is subsidized childcare for parents who work through programs that are available to citizens and may be available to others as well. Most federal programs either bar illegals from participation or leave the decision up to the states. In some cases (education, for instance) states have deemed it better to allow the benefits than to deny them for many reasons, only some of which are compassionate. Socially we are better off to educate children than not. Further, many service providers don't want to be burdened by the necessity of establishing the citizenship of all clients.

The hostility towards immigrants (whether legal or otherwise) is FAR out of proportion to their numbers here. But in a sour economy it is politically wise for those who lack solutions to identify scape-goats to divert attention.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#92 Oct 20, 2010
Reader25 wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstood.
Only slightly half are able to BECOME citizens. Why can't the rest?
I understood. Eligible to become citizens means that they have been here long enough, are here legally and can make the choice to become citizens. Those who have not been here long enough are not ELIGIBLE--even though they may become eligible at some later point.

Some may also be children.
Jon

Columbus, OH

#93 Oct 20, 2010
I support helping people when they need it, regardless of where they came from, race, etc. As a properous nation, even in bad economic times, it is always good to help those in need.

That said, I have never met anyone who thought Somalians were great people. Perhaps it is mostly a cultural clash, but god, they generally come across as extremely rude, pushy, and whatever they eat or however they live, they have an awful smell that lingers in the air long after they're gone. I want to like them, because I want to like people and I want to treat people with respect... but they make it so d*mn hard. And yeah, it bothers me when they're using foodstamps while treating you like crap. You're a guest in another nation using a taxpayer-funded program... the least you could do is be nice to those footing the bill.
click click

United States

#94 Oct 20, 2010
I vote for Clickland!

click click
click
click click
Timeforachange

Batavia, OH

#95 Oct 20, 2010
These refugees come here knowing how to cheat our system. They take all government handouts, cram themselves into 1 apartment, they work...but send all money earned back home, where it is worth something. I worked with a Latino gentleman, who had a valid work permit, lived with 6 other latinos in a cheap apartment, and sent most of there wages back home to Mexico. He showed me pictures of a home he was building back home, and it was mansion-esk. Our government needs a total overhaul and restructuring. This is a problem that "business as usual" politicians don't want to tackle. It's a hot button, and none of these "seasoned" politicians want to lose their seat over it. These people work, but it's not American money being earned to fuel the American economy, it's American money earned to be spent abroad. We need fresh faces in politics. Experience in our political system should have zero merits with the voting populous. It's the experienced politicians who are destroying this nation more so than the people they are trying to save.
Timeforachange

Batavia, OH

#96 Oct 20, 2010
You really can't knock these people. Our government allows, maybe even encourages it. You give a man two choices; Work for an hour to earn your eight dollars, or we'll just give you eight dollars to sign a form...9 out of 10 times they'll choose to sign a sheet. It never has been about living the "American dream" so much as it is to exploit it. If the government would do two things, you could start to see some of these problems disappear.

1. Anyone who is on Welfare, or any other government assisted programs must clock in 40 hours of work a week. Whether that be picking up trash on the side of the road or filling potholes, they must put in 40 hours to receive aid.

2. Cap the amount of assistance to a maximum of 4 people. This would solve the problem of welfare abusers birthing more babies to obtain more benefits.

Remember the motto of the United States of America. THE RICH GET RICHER, THE POOR MAKE BABIES.

Instead of pointing the finger at refugees/illegal immigrants, maybe we should point the finger at the cause of this problem, state capitals and D.C.
elephant in the room

Springfield, OH

#97 Oct 20, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it doesn't really matter what Strickland and Kasich think about a legal path to citizenship. It's a federal matter. They are both running for Governor of the State of Ohio.
As I have a degree in political science, it would seem that I know that immigration is a federal matter. State governors, however, do have an impact on immigration (ever heard of Arizona?) and often attain to national office from the springboard of their governor's positions. From seeing your multitude of posts, it appears thast you have more time on your hands than those of us who deal with Somalians on a daily basis. Just an example for you: Medicaid is in a 6-8 billion shortfall in Ohio and is the largest item in the state budget! Before you reply to this post, go to any medical facility in the Somalian community (that accepts Medicaid) and watch these Somalians herding in four, five and six children at a time for minor or non-existent complaints (that the rest of us take care of with a little Tylenol) and flashing their magic "get out of jail free" medicaid cards. Plenty of other examples, buit I'll stop with this one.
just sayin

Columbus, OH

#98 Oct 21, 2010
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>With the health care bill, health coverage will be getting better for everyone.
You might want to view this article on health coverage. Expanded coverage will be worthless if people drop due to costs and it will get even better in 2014 when people get fined for not being able to afford medical insurance.

http://www.topix.com/columbus/2010/10/healthc...
Dana Garcia

El Sobrante, CA

#99 Oct 21, 2010
Boo hoo, Muslim moochers are "disenchanted" because they haven't gotten enough fee goodies lately.

Washington's admitting hundreds of thousands of polygamous, predatory, FGM-committing hostile Somalis was one of its worst immigration mistakes ever.

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2006/09/13/cli...
Reader

Columbus, OH

#100 Oct 21, 2010
Timeforachange wrote:
they work...but send all money earned back home, where it is worth something. I worked with a Latino gentleman, who had a valid work permit, lived with 6 other latinos in a cheap apartment, and sent most of there wages back home to Mexico.
This is an extremely common immigrant experience going far back in history. Boarding houses used to rent the same bed to people on different shifts. Wage earners either came ahead to earn money to bring the rest of the family or planned to go back. Some did. Others stayed.

Don't know how your family came here, but it is likely that you can go back into your own history and find folks who followed that same pattern.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#101 Oct 21, 2010
elephant in the room wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have a degree in political science, it would seem that I know that immigration is a federal matter. State governors, however, do have an impact on immigration (ever heard of Arizona?) and often attain to national office from the springboard of their governor's positions. From seeing your multitude of posts, it appears thast you have more time on your hands than those of us who deal with Somalians on a daily basis. Just an example for you: Medicaid is in a 6-8 billion shortfall in Ohio and is the largest item in the state budget! Before you reply to this post, go to any medical facility in the Somalian community (that accepts Medicaid) and watch these Somalians herding in four, five and six children at a time for minor or non-existent complaints (that the rest of us take care of with a little Tylenol) and flashing their magic "get out of jail free" medicaid cards. Plenty of other examples, buit I'll stop with this one.
Well, since we are sharing credentials, I have logged a number of years in a community health center--where immigrants from many countries receive care, along with many other folks whose "get out of jail free medicaid cards" are not welcome at every doc's office. There are a number of differences in working with a population that tends to be lower income, less well educated, or speak English as their second language. There is an enhanced need for patient education. In other populations folks have greater access to the internet, written materials, educated friends and relatives, and may have a longer history of regular medical care. While I would argue that the need for patient education is pretty important across the board, for the medicaid population it is critical. And a part of this education sometimes includes talking about when a doctor visit is or is not needed. Sometimes visits can be avoided if there is easy access to a nurse to talk to on the phone first. When there are language barriers this may not always be feasible.

In any population there are always a few folks who rely on their doctor's office for more than medical care--it also provides socialization and so forth. Most offices find ways to respond--connecting to other outside resources, managing quick visits at regular intervals, making someone available by phone.

I don't know what kind of work a poli sci major does in a health clinic, but I wonder if maybe you should consider another line of work. You don't seem to enjoy your clientele very much.
RealityChick

Minneapolis, MN

#102 Nov 2, 2010
We have the same problem in Minnesota. I own half of a suburban twin home and when the people who owned the other half got into financial trouble, and lost their home to the bank, a slumlord picked it up and began renting to a Somali family. It's difficult to say how many people actually live there because dozens of cars come and go from that location all day long - today that side of the house completely trashed and we as homeowners on the block have no recourse. A second Somali family (with 8 children) snapped up a second house that was converted to a rental and the decay of the two homes is glaring. Garbage and furniture in the yards, lawns left to grow wild with weeds, broken windows, screens torn off, junk cars everywhere, children left unattended to play in the street, regular visits from the police... the list goes on and on. It's a mess and the city won't step up and take action. Section 8 housing ruined our nice, well-kept, quiet neighborhood. We've tried everything, including talking to the entity that issues the vouchers and to HUD - we even presented pictures to HUD and at a City Council meeting. If the problem involved unruly bikers or college kids, I guarantee it would have been dealt with by now. And forget about the landlords, one is from Pakistan and one is from Saudi Arabia - they are well insulated and impossible to find AND they never visit their properties.
RealityChick

Minneapolis, MN

#103 Nov 2, 2010
Plus, I might add that several people have attempted to sell their homes and can't. I have spoken with two real estate agents holding open houses on the block and both said everyone wants to know what's going on with the two run down houses? When the kids are outside, not to mention the adults who loiter around with nothing to do, it's a little hard to gloss over what's truly going on.

Again, my house actually shares a common wall with a Section 8 property. Does that seem fair? I won't even go into the roach problem I'm having to deal with since their arrival. I've owned my roach-free home for 20 plus years and now suddenly I have roaches? Do the math.

My home is now worthless, while my Somali neighbors enjoy their cable television on a new 42-inch HDTV that the cable guy happened to tell me about when he was doing some rewiring. He also said the house is completely trashed inside. Unreal.
JAN

Columbia, SC

#104 Nov 2, 2010
Stick em in a blackhawk and fly them home. Let their homeboys take pot shots at em while they try to land.
Do Tell

Westerville, OH

#105 Nov 3, 2010
JAN wrote:
Stick em in a blackhawk and fly them home. Let their homeboys take pot shots at em while they try to land.
I agree...Shoot that POS in the name of Allah
what

Columbus, OH

#106 Nov 3, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, since we are sharing credentials, I have logged a number of years in a community health center--where immigrants from many countries receive care, along with many other folks whose "get out of jail free medicaid cards" are not welcome at every doc's office. There are a number of differences in working with a population that tends to be lower income, less well educated, or speak English as their second language. There is an enhanced need for patient education. In other populations folks have greater access to the internet, written materials, educated friends and relatives, and may have a longer history of regular medical care. While I would argue that the need for patient education is pretty important across the board, for the medicaid population it is critical. And a part of this education sometimes includes talking about when a doctor visit is or is not needed. Sometimes visits can be avoided if there is easy access to a nurse to talk to on the phone first. When there are language barriers this may not always be feasible.
In any population there are always a few folks who rely on their doctor's office for more than medical care--it also provides socialization and so forth. Most offices find ways to respond--connecting to other outside resources, managing quick visits at regular intervals, making someone available by phone.
I don't know what kind of work a poli sci major does in a health clinic, but I wonder if maybe you should consider another line of work. You don't seem to enjoy your clientele very much.
Did that community health center allow ANYONE to come in for care? By that I mean the ones who are the working poor yet 'make too much money' to qualify for social programs?
richard lee

Garden City, MI

#107 Jan 11, 2013
Common in u ignorant fools, I like somalian girls, their pretty with big ass...af

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Dr Guru 217,134
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min USAsince1680 1,396,558
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 32 min HILLARY 2016 229,078
News For Obama, setbacks from a divided Supreme Court 7 hr Denny CranesPlace 15
News KKK Endorsement (Mar '08) 8 hr Tom Clancey 126
News Ahead of convention, Donald Trump vets Newt Gin... 9 hr serfs up 5
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 11 hr IB DaMann 35,529
More from around the web