McCain says to win White House he must convince country Iraq policy is succeeding

There are 480 comments on the media.www.iowastatedaily.com story from Feb 25, 2008, titled McCain says to win White House he must convince country Iraq policy is succeeding. In it, media.www.iowastatedaily.com reports that:

John McCain said Monday that to win the White House he must convince a war-weary country that U.S. policy in Iraq is succeeding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at media.www.iowastatedaily.com.

comment

United States

#220 Feb 26, 2008
Bet a dollar to a donut next president doesn't get anybody out of Iraq. To big of a machine we don't understand.
john

Baltimore, MD

#221 Feb 26, 2008
Wonderwall wrote:
John McCain is convinced that stabilization and rebuilding efforts in Iraq are not complete. basically, if we pull out now, we have succeded in totally demolishing their country...but that's it. Thousands of young men are left on the street corners with nothing to do, no jobs, hopes or oppourtunities except to become terrorists!
so you have been to miami
Yamaraja

Middletown, CT

#223 Feb 26, 2008
OLD BEN wrote:
looking at all of you xperts on war i am thankful that you are not calling the shots. having served my country and under different presidents, i do firmly belive that if we were to pull out of iraq that we will be fighting right here in the united states within a few years. those people over there will not be happy until they try to bring america to our knees, and this will never happen there are still those of us that will fight to the last breath to defend our country, GOD BLESS THOSE BRAVE AMERICANS THAT WILL DEFEND OUR FREEDOM/
So you were brainwashed by the government to beleive all of their BS? The brave man and women in Iraq are NOT there defending our freedoms! The Bush family and the families of all the Washington elite that profit from this war need to go to Iraq and Afghanistan and fight if they beleive in it so much! Oh yeah, that's right, Goober W. only starts wars, he doesn't fight in them.( AWOL from the Air National Guard during Vietnam!) Where have you been the last 7 years? This jagoff in the whitehouse is by far the most corrupt and inept President of all time! We have been fed a steady diet of lies so he and all of his cronies could get even filthier rich!
Yamaraja

Middletown, CT

#224 Feb 26, 2008
Peka wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you Ben for shedding some "wisdom" on this matter. I'm sick and tired of people saying "pull out our troops"...If we don't finish what we started there in Iraq, then all the lives of those that had died were in vain. Some of you said that we are sticking our noses into businesses that are not ours (United States), you need to do your research before you start believing whatever the news media dishes out...because there is more to the story that are not being told for "classified" reasons. My father is a former Marine Sgt...I have numerous of family members and friends that are in the service doing what were called to do...to "serve". Those people in Iraq who had families who are "American born" were pleading for help so that they may have a glimpse of what "freedom" is. Something that we usually take for granted...if we don't nip these terrorists in the butt now...my kids,grand kids, etc...along w/yours will suffer because these punks will be in our backyard wanting to take over our nation that took our soldiers yrs of bloodshed to fight for. That is not the life I want for my children...I understand that we have our own issues that we need to handle right in (homeless/jobless/financials). ..that is where people like you and I who are not on the battlefield...need to be responsible of taking of. Sorry for being so lengthy on this msg, but I live by the "Golden Rule" which I know Old ben probably does too..."Do unto others what you want others to do unto you"....Old Ben...may the Lord bless you and all those who served and those that are still serving our country. I appreciate your time served and your patriotism.
OH, so that's why we went there! Because they want to be free, not because they were the masterminds behind 9/11 and have weapons of mass destruction. What's that? The President lied about that? "Do unto others as blah blah blah?? So you want other countries to come here and force their style of government on us and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in the process as we are doing to Iraq? Don't forget, not everyone in the military beleives all of the worst President ever's BS. They are just doing what they are ordered to do. Support them by bringing them home!
john

Baltimore, MD

#225 Feb 26, 2008
john boy youve turned into a moron ,, we can not afford to stay , no one with even 1/2 a brain would vote for you with this hanging over your head ,, hello obamm bamm aah
Char

Gilbert, AZ

#226 Feb 26, 2008
Wonderwall wrote:
John McCain is convinced that stabilization and rebuilding efforts in Iraq are not complete. basically, if we pull out now, we have succeded in totally demolishing their country...but that's it. Thousands of young men are left on the street corners with nothing to do, no jobs, hopes or oppourtunities except to become terrorists!
John McCain is correct BUT I would like to see more from the Iraq government. I believe if you are not willing to fight and if necessary for your country, you deserve what you get.

“Peace and Love”

Since: Jan 08

New Orleans, LA

#227 Feb 26, 2008
I don't believe that was good strategizing by McCain, as far as winning the election for president goes. A lot of Democrats/Independents feel the same way the guy above me, john, feels. And Cl-Obama also at least claims to feel that way, too. So by McCain's logic (I.E. the way a person feels about their position on the war will largely mimic they're likelehood of voting for the candidate), he's losing a loooot of votes by saying that. Again, that's just my speculation.
never again

Ridgefield, CT

#229 Feb 26, 2008
More American military have been killed under Bill Clinton than George W. Bush. Doubt it?
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32492.pdf
Sand4

United States

#230 Feb 26, 2008
Nobody likes a war, but one was waged upon us again. 9/11 seems to be quickly forgotten to today's youth. No war is good, and no I dont like it either, but our freedom isnt free. Hopefully giving the people in Iraq a chance to change or have a choice will work, but we have to remember Rome wasnt built in a day and nor will Iraq be!
If we walk out again on the Iraqi people what message would that send? Remember we could have done this back in the late 80's early 90's but the Democratic Senate wouldnt let Bush Sr do the job, now Bush Jr thinks he has to finish his dad's uncompleted work. Problem is it may have been too late. The Iraqi people have been brain washed to live in fear of any leader that claims to have the rulership of their country. Something we forget that we should give great thanks for, especially to our brave troops. I support them, not war, and personally I love my freedom and dont want to see any attacks on anyone's homeland including my own again! Who ever wins the next Presidency will have a hard road to tow....sadly the choices we have are as rocky as the mountains above Colorado! Washington D.C. has nobody worth voting for in my opinion.
never again

Ridgefield, CT

#231 Feb 26, 2008
Yamaraja wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were brainwashed by the government to beleive all of their BS? The brave man and women in Iraq are NOT there defending our freedoms! The Bush family and the families of all the Washington elite that profit from this war need to go to Iraq and Afghanistan and fight if they beleive in it so much! Oh yeah, that's right, Goober W. only starts wars, he doesn't fight in them.( AWOL from the Air National Guard during Vietnam!) Where have you been the last 7 years? This jagoff in the whitehouse is by far the most corrupt and inept President of all time! We have been fed a steady diet of lies so he and all of his cronies could get even filthier rich!
Typical liberal BS. Your Bubba Bill said he would never defend his country (and never did) but you think he's the gratest thing since Stalin. I bet you will vote for Obama for all of the drugs he has done and all he has contributed to this country.

“Dragon Slayer”

Since: Jul 07

Antonito Colorado

#232 Feb 26, 2008
Troop surge = Marshal Law. As long as we continue to spend a half billion dollars a day in Iraq security will remain acceptable as long as cease fire remains in effect. That's a lot of confetti. Does anyone really beleive that hearts and minds are being changed there? They hate America and Americans. I just can't understand why that is after all the love we've brought to them. he he he. "Better over there than here.". All the care love we exude for Muslims touches your heart or should I say torches your @$$.

McCain and 100 years of War in Iraq is something to look forward to. Huh?

Senator McCain you have a lot of convincing to do.

“Dragon Slayer”

Since: Jul 07

Antonito Colorado

#233 Feb 26, 2008
Sand4 wrote:
Nobody likes a war, but one was waged upon us again. 9/11 seems to be quickly forgotten to today's youth. No war is good, and no I dont like it either, but our freedom isnt free. Hopefully giving the people in Iraq a chance to change or have a choice will work, but we have to remember Rome wasnt built in a day and nor will Iraq be!
If we walk out again on the Iraqi people what message would that send? Remember we could have done this back in the late 80's early 90's but the Democratic Senate wouldnt let Bush Sr do the job, now Bush Jr thinks he has to finish his dad's uncompleted work. Problem is it may have been too late. The Iraqi people have been brain washed to live in fear of any leader that claims to have the rulership of their country. Something we forget that we should give great thanks for, especially to our brave troops. I support them, not war, and personally I love my freedom and dont want to see any attacks on anyone's homeland including my own again! Who ever wins the next Presidency will have a hard road to tow....sadly the choices we have are as rocky as the mountains above Colorado! Washington D.C. has nobody worth voting for in my opinion.
I thought you all hated Muslims. Isn't that why you all rail against Obama and acuse him of being a Muslim? You warmongers are out of choices. You're finished. If you don't like to see people's homelands being attacked then stay home and mind your own business. If you are losing freedoms it won't be from abroad or from any outsider. Your loss of freedom will come from within at the hands of your own government. So wake up out of your propaganda fantasy.
Lady Liberty

United States

#234 Feb 26, 2008
Yamaraja wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, so that's why we went there! Because they want to be free, not because they were the masterminds behind 9/11 and have weapons of mass destruction. What's that? The President lied about that? "Do unto others as blah blah blah?? So you want other countries to come here and force their style of government on us and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in the process as we are doing to Iraq? Don't forget, not everyone in the military beleives all of the worst President ever's BS. They are just doing what they are ordered to do. Support them by bringing them home!
Do you not think that is exactly what Osama Bin Laden had in mind when he blew up the WTC? To force his style of "government" on us and kill hundreds of our innocent civilians? How many wars do you know of that innocent people haven't been killed? Our troops are being ham stringed by not being allowed to fire here because you might hit an innocent, they can't fire there because you might hit another innocent. Might as well have them throw rocks. It's about as effective. It doesn't matter how we got to Iraq. Hussein, was a terrorist, he just happened to be a terrorist in an Armani suit. If you believe he didn't have weapons of mass destruction, then you are a fool. Just because we didn't find them, doesn't mean they weren't there. It isn't like he didn't have enough time to hide them. We gave him plenty of advanced warning that we were coming.
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#235 Feb 26, 2008
I think Bush needs two live pets... I have stinky and Stinko... Stinky has a black tougue...... They are very lively and you have to keep an eye on the toilet paper.....
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#236 Feb 26, 2008
They are pit, Chow, Boxer, and Rodesian Ridgeback...Black tonge comes from the chow I think....Or maybe I could auction them... Names are perfest for the time.....
Guess who

Las Vegas, NV

#237 Feb 26, 2008
That way I can go get a job.... to pay more taxes....
Sand4

United States

#238 Feb 26, 2008
Edward Brewster wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you all hated Muslims. Isn't that why you all rail against Obama and acuse him of being a Muslim? You warmongers are out of choices. You're finished. If you don't like to see people's homelands being attacked then stay home and mind your own business. If you are losing freedoms it won't be from abroad or from any outsider. Your loss of freedom will come from within at the hands of your own government. So wake up out of your propaganda fantasy.
I never said I hated anyone? Please don't reword my comment.
While you are right that this country's future lays within the top 545 with power of this country, I would love it if "We The People" would throw another Boston Tea Party. Only this time instead of tea in the harbor, it should be the Politicians including the top Presidential runners. With that said anyone have any hungry piranha's they want to get rid of? We could use them for the new tea party too.

“SMILES can increase face value”

Since: Jan 08

Never KICK A TURD on a Hot Day

#239 Feb 26, 2008
comment wrote:
Bet a dollar to a donut next president doesn't get anybody out of Iraq. To big of a machine we don't understand.
Nope that is why there was no exit strategy -- we are there to stay. We need a military base to protect our interests in the fourth largest oil reserve in the world, kind of like the base we have in Saudi Arabia protecting the largest oil reserve. You know the place - the one we the infidels set up next to Mecca that pissed off Osama Bin Ladin and the entire Arab world.
sarah

AOL

#240 Feb 26, 2008
he really shouldnt have said that.

good luck with that john.
charles

United States

#241 Feb 26, 2008
Another foot in mouth moment by McAmnesty. Wow. How many screw ups does he get before people say hey wait a minute....

Mike Huckabee wrote this letter to McCain today.

Dear Senator McCain:

It's been my pleasure sharing the stage with you this past year, as we have worked to promote our ideas to lead this county. I have the deepest respect for you as a person, politician, and an American hero and I appreciate the way you have run such an issue-based, positive campaign.

Now that the race for the Republican nomination is down to just the two of us, I believe this is the time for a real discussion about our vision for the future of this great country. I encourage you to join me in a Lincoln Douglas-style debate so that voters can better understand our views on critical issues such as health care, education, energy independence, terrorism and national security.

Our Democratic counterparts, Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, have had recent opportunities to underscore the differences in their positions. It seems only fitting to me that Republican primary voters are offered the same.

I look forward to working with your staff to schedule this as soon as possible. I would suggest we set the debate before the March Fourth Primaries. It is my hope that one of the TV networks would offer to sponsor such an event.

Senator, let's lead by example and get the ball rolling. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this idea and debating you in front of the American people

Sincerely,

You should check this guy out, hes solid... dont knock him till you go see the issues and what he stands for at
mikehuckabee.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Le Jimbo 182,152
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min RealDave 1,231,554
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr DrGuru 189,514
News Jeb Bush to the American people: Show illegal a... 3 hr Quirky 109
News Mexico's Take Over Of California: Complete By 2... (Jun '09) 7 hr Protester 27,520
News Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Thu Earthling-1 30,812
News Milbank: Hillary Clinton's hypocrisy Wed Tmm 1
More from around the web