Obama, Romney prepare for first debate

Obama, Romney prepare for first debate

There are 49 comments on the Your News Now story from Oct 3, 2012, titled Obama, Romney prepare for first debate. In it, Your News Now reports that:

Mitt Romney and President Obama face off in Denver at 9 p.m. in the first of three presidential debates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Your News Now.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#45 Oct 7, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
Back to this again, Teaman? It doesn't matter how many times you repeat the same t-bagger sht it doesn't make it true.
Do you understand the meaning of "res judicata"? The meaning of "general welfare" has been debated, settled and is not open to further judicial review.
Helvering v. Davis,(1937) Supreme Court opinion written by Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo. This decision slams shut further judicial review of Congress' right to interpret the "general welfare" clause. It also gives you the reason why the Court insists in interpreting this way.
[Excerpts of Helvering v. Davis]
"Congress may spend money in aid of the 'general welfare'[...] There have been great statesmen in our history who have stood for other views[...] The line must still be drawn between one welfare and another, between particular and general. Where this shall be placed cannot be known through a formula in advance of the event[...] The discretion belongs to Congress, unless the choice is clearly wrong, a display of arbitrary power, not an exercise of judgment. This is now familiar law."
"The problem [social security] is plainly national in area and dimensions. Moreover, laws of the separate states cannot deal with it effectively. Congress, at least, had a basis for that belief. States and local governments are often lacking in the resources that are necessary to finance an adequate program of security for the aged. This is brought out with a wealth of illustration in recent studies of the problem. Apart from the failure of resources, states and local governments are at times reluctant to increase so heavily the burden of taxation to be borne by their residents for fear of placing themselves in a position of economic disadvantage as compared with neighbors or competitors. We have seen this in our study of the problem of unemployment compensation[...] A system of old age pensions has special dangers of its own if put in force in one state and rejected in another. The existence of such a system is a bait to the needy and dependent elsewhere, encouraging them to migrate and seek a haven of repose. Only a power that is national can serve the interests of all."
In other words, the United States Supreme Court has decided on multiple occasions (Helvering v. Davis, supra., United States v. Butler,(1936), et.al.), that Congress decides what's "general welfare" and what's "necessary and proper" - not the Constitution.
Why do you folk keep beating the same dog? It sounds pretty rhino to me, Teaman.
Move on, man....
You could have saved yourself a lot of legal blah blah blah, I did mention the supreme court found country welfare to be a person welfare. That doesn't make it right. The court also once found Dred Scott to be a non citizen. That brought us the 14th amendment. The court often misuses that. You're working on the premise of the way things are and I, or we, are working on the way things were intended or should be. All social systems or democracies run out of money or collapse when the people are able rob the treasury and vote free stuff for themselves.

"that Congress decides what's "general welfare" and what's "necessary and proper" - not the Constitution"

Think real long and hard about what you said there. The constitution was supposed to limit the power of congress. What is the difference between 535 dictators and one dictator whether they are voted in or not? It was congresses's decision on what is "necessary and proper" that brought us the financial crisis with their push for low income home ownership.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
Alexis de Tocqueville

BTW, using the word, teabagger, isn't very professional for a lawyer.
Smokin Joe

Bronx, NY

#47 Oct 13, 2012
Amazing “bad lip-reading” spoof of Obama/Romney debate

Canton, GA

#48 Oct 13, 2012
Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Republican and after seeing last nights debate, I will now vote for Obama. Romney was too busy lying and not being clear on his policies.
So after watching a debate that everyone, including tingly legs matthews and other prominent liberal douchbags acknowledge Romney won. You are now going to vote for what has become evident to everyone, is an abject failure, really? Then you are no longer a (R), you are now a useless idiot, congratulations! When you decide to pull your head from your a$$ and smell truth again, come on back. Tea Party 2012!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#49 Oct 13, 2012
The Tea Party sucks.
Smokin Joe

United States

#50 Oct 13, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
The Tea Party sucks.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#51 Oct 13, 2012
Smokin Joe wrote:
Amazing “bad lip-reading” spoof of Obama/Romney debate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QlwilbVYvUgXX
OMG that was funny.
Election 2012

Washington, DC

#52 Oct 16, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
The Tea Party sucks.
But we're delighted to keep paying your bills.
if we go with mutt

Dothan, AL

#53 Oct 16, 2012
i dont think he can add up all the savings to get the usa out of this mess. if we go with mutt we will go backwards. that be bad then everyone has to go thru all the mess again. we need to go with obama that will take our country forward vote four more years for our president. its gonna take more time this did not happen over night and nobody can fix it in one night. people look at all this country has been in .i see 11 years war 9-11-2001 then hurricanes then take bp oil spill look at the people that were out of work and alot of people still not back to work.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#54 Aug 31, 2015
swedenforever wrote:
"By 2004, the second year of his term, Mr. Romney was provoked enough to mount an unprecedented campaign to unseat Democratic legislators, spending $3 million in Republican party money and hiring a nationally known political strategist, Michael Murphy.
The effort failed spectacularly. Republicans lost seats, leaving them with their smallest legislative delegation since 1867. Democratic legislators were reported at the time to have been deeply angered by the campaign’s tactics."
"..my husband (Barack) is a solid debater, and should be ready.." 1st Lady Michelle Obama 2011 Swedenforever approves this message

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min RoxLo 1,442,551
News The Hillary Clinton post-debate polling boom ap... 17 min Goodmans Handyman... 100
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min HILL4ME 227,944
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 25 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 247,905
News Poll: 60% of Republicans believe illegal immigr... 1 hr Cordwainer Trout 14
News The Latest: Jay Z, JLo, others to hold concerts... 2 hr Lixy9440 2
News Poll shows Trump, Clinton tied in Florida 2 hr Massage4094 135
More from around the web