Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for hi...

Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for higher wages

There are 131 comments on the KFMB-TV San Diego story from Sep 1, 2014, titled Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for higher wages. In it, KFMB-TV San Diego reports that:

President Barack Obama renewed his push for Congress to raise the minimum wage Monday in a buoyant accounting of the economy's "revving" performance, delivered on behalf of Democrats opening their fall campaigns for the midterm congressional elections.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFMB-TV San Diego.

cancersux

Faribault, MN

#46 Sep 3, 2014
Oh and only way to increase production IS FO MORE SALES WHICH MEANS MORE MONEY IN HANDS F CONSUMER WHICH MEANS HIGHER WaGES..

It is so simple
OnlyPatchWork

Brewster, NY

#47 Sep 3, 2014
cancersux wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow your ignorant. TURN OFF FAR RIGHTER EVIL VILE DEMONIC RADIO TV AND WEBSES.....
ONE LAST TIME HITLER BOY..........IF WAGES GO UP PEOPLE HAVE MORE TO SPEND AND SALES GO UP AND JOBS ARE ADDED.....IF WAGES STAY THE SAME OR GO DOWN SALES GO DOWN JOBS GET CUT...
Now I know acts are hard for you richy rich types who inherited your money and have no clue. SHUT UP MITT ...
WAGES GO UP ECONOMY GOES UP WAGES STAY SAME OR DOWN ECONOMY GOES DOWN/./simple.
Typical left winger, very emotional, with a lack of factual logic.

Sinking to a typical left winger low, or comparing to Hitler, Hitler was actually a left winger.

Wealth is produced, money doesn't matter if it isn't backed by products.

That is why printing money, can lead to hyperinflation.

Raising minimum wage, causes inflation, it causes business to raise wages to pay higher wages, and causes the government to print more money, causing inflation.

That is why we never seen any real benefit from increases in minimum wage.
OnlyPatchWork

Brewster, NY

#48 Sep 3, 2014
cancersux wrote:
Oh and only way to increase production IS FO MORE SALES WHICH MEANS MORE MONEY IN HANDS F CONSUMER WHICH MEANS HIGHER WaGES..
It is so simple
Business gives the money to the employees, so the employees depend on business to give them their wages, many times business has to lay off people, in order to pay the higher wages.

Laying off people to pay higher wages hinders production.

Raising minimum wage, won't simply won't help the unemployment rate.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#49 Sep 3, 2014
All the government has to do to keep the economy artificially growing is borrow more money. Increase the debt limit and we'll continue to prosper. It's just like when you can't afford to make your mortgage payment, the best thing to do is buy new car.
Cat74

Wilmington, IL

#50 Sep 3, 2014
The only stores doing well in America are the liquor stores. Some of our workers have been unemployed for over a year. The economy is not doing better. Some of our people are still struggling, and they won't get any better until after the Democrats are voted out in November.
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#51 Sep 3, 2014
cancersux wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not. TURN OFF FAUX NEWS.
Do tell...

Explain how "it does not".

This oughta be good...
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#52 Sep 3, 2014
Far Away wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't specify? I'll assume from that observation that you either didn't read it, or have such a ideological view that you refuse to accept or understand it. Let me make it simple.
Me worker with skill. Me want to make money by using skill. Me find someone who can use my skill. Me ask for pay to use my skill for person who needs it. Me ask how much person willing to pay for skill. Me take job if me willing to take what person willing to pay. Me find other person who need skill if me not like what first person willing to pay. Repeat as necessary.
Yes, you persist in alluding to "economic laws" without identifying them. You seem to believe that by reiterating your personal biases about what's acceptable behavior for participating in the economy you must be specifying laws. What you fail to recognize is that economic laws are not laws that are legislated. It's possible to break the speed limit while driving, but it's not possible to break economic laws. Economics is a social science that's concerned with describing, understanding and predicting how people behave, which is quite different from laws that we legislate in an effort to control our behavior. It's a matter of semantics; the word "law" has two separate meanings in this case.

Aside from the meaning of "economic laws," we seem to have different ideological preferences about workers organizing to negotiate better wages through minimum wage legislation. While I consider it appropriate to do so, you appear to disapprove. In fact, I suspect that you would even favor making it illegal to do so. If it were illegal to do so, and people did it anyway, they would be guilty of breaking a law of the government, but not a law of the economy. A law of the economy is like the law of gravity in that both are laws precisely because they can't be broken. On the other hand, laws of government can be broken; it happens all the time.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#53 Sep 4, 2014
OnlyPatchWork wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't watch Fox News.
Wealth is production.
If you increase production you increase wealth.
Any time you increase minimum wage, it costs business money, so prices raise, and or jobs are terminated to be able to pay the higher wages.
You write: "IF WAGES GO UP PEOPLE HAVE MORE TO SPEND AND SALES GO UP AND JOBS ARE ADDED.....IF WAGES STAY THE SAME OR GO DOWN SALES GO DOWN JOBS GET CUT." That not only meets the test of logic, but has been demonstrated empirically by states that have passed new minimum wage laws. Nevertheless, in Foxland, where hatred is instilled for even the thought of workers organizing to improve their plight, logic and empirical evidence have little bearing. As Forest Gump's mother probably used to say to wrap up her famed discourse on boxes of chocolate, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." Or maybe it would be more like, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

At any rate, people who live in glass houses shouldn't get stoned.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#55 Sep 4, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> 2ND QUARTER U.S. GROWTH TOPS FORECAST.....Associated Press .(8-29-14).....Commerce Department reports the Economy grew at an annual rate of 4.2%.....
Coming from a negative 2.1%, 4.2% isn't on fire. Over the 21 quarters of Øbama's time in office--beginning the counting in the second quarter of his first term--the average economic growth rate is a paltry 1.78%. Yep, the transmission is stuck in neutral.

By contrast, Reagan's recovery during the same length of his term was an average of 4.87%, posting several quarters above 8% and one at 9.44%.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#56 Sep 4, 2014
U.S. FACTORY ORDERS UP RECORD 10.5% IN JULY......Associated Press .(9-4-14).....Business orders for U.S. factory goods shot up to a record amount in July, reflecting a surge in demand in the volatile category of commercial aircraft.....Factory orders rose 10.5 percent in July, THE BIGGEST ONE MONTH INCREASE ON RECORDS GOING BACK TO 1992, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday. Orders for civilian aircraft rose four-fold......Manufacturing has been a source of strength this year, helped by robust demand for new cars, other consumer items and business equipment. Economists expect that strength to continue......

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#57 Sep 4, 2014
Far Away wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from a negative 2.1%, 4.2% isn't on fire. Over the 21 quarters of Øbama's time in office--beginning the counting in the second quarter of his first term--the average economic growth rate is a paltry 1.78%. Yep, the transmission is stuck in neutral.
By contrast, Reagan's recovery during the same length of his term was an average of 4.87%, posting several quarters above 8% and one at 9.44%.
Nobody wants an economy on fire anymore.....Still getting over Sarah being gone, eh?

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#58 Sep 4, 2014
cancersux wrote:
75% of all products made in the USA and sold her are sold to the working poor and lower middle class. SO YES WAGES GOING UP WILL HELP SALES GO UP WHICH MEANS MORE JOBS AND MORE MONEY FOR THE RICH AND WORKERS...
Really?
Then, by all means double the cost of everything. Sales will double as the working poor and middle class buy everything off the shelves.
But, why merely double the prices?
Lets's quintuple the prices so sales increase even more!

You make it sound so simple, it's a wonder nobody ever thought of this before!
You ought to write a book!
Shinichiro Takizawa

Akishima, Japan

#60 Sep 4, 2014
The U.S. must take Monroe-Doctrine now!
The U.S. must withdraw American-Forces from NATO, from Europe, from Japan, from South-Korea, from Asia, from Singapore, from Afghanistan, and from Pakistan now!
The U.S. must withdraw American-Forces now from all the wars in which the U.S. now involves!
The U.S. must decrease its military-budget to 100-billion-dollar per year now.
Or, the U.S. must decrease its military-budget to 1% of its GDP now.

Chechen Independence war, South Ossetia war, Xinjiang (Uyghur) Independence war, Tibetan Independence war,
Asian war, Korean war, Japan-Russia war, Japan-China war, Japan-N.Korea war, Japan-S.Korea war, Northern Ireland Independence war, Cod war, Intifada,
Indo-Pakistani war, Sino-Indian war, Sino-Russia border conflict, Sino-Vietnamese war, China-Malaysia war, China-Indonesia war,
European war, Germany-Russia war, British-Russia war, Balkan war, Falklands war,
must begin now!

The U.S. must not be involved these wars!
The U.S. must make ships, steel, airplanes, PCs, cars, and home-electric-appliances in the U.S.,
and the U.S. must export those ships, steel, airplane, PCs, cars, and home-electric-appliances from the U.S. to the world!
(This can be called a Monroe Doctrine.)

Wars, natural-disasters, earth-quakes and Nuclear-power-plant-disasters must occur in Germany, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Russia and Japan now!
Wars, natural-disasters, earth-quakes and Nuclear-power-plant-disasters in Germany, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Russia and Japan
will cause reconstruction-demands in Germany, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Russia and Japan!
Wars, natural-disasters, earth-quakes and Nuclear-power-plant-disasters in Germany, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Russia and Japan
will increase Germany's, China's, Taiwan's, South-Korea's, Russia's and Japan's domestic-demands!
will decrease supplies from Germany, China, Taiwan, South-Korea, Russia and Japan.

Germany, Taiwan, South-Korea, Japan, British and Italy must protect Germany, Taiwan, South-Korea, Japan, British and Italy by themselves!
Germany, Taiwan, South-Korea and Japan must increase Germany's, Taiwan's, South-Korea's and Japan's military-budgets and Germany's, Taiwan's, South-Korea's and Japan's military-forces now!

China, Taiwan, Japan, Germany, South-Korea and Russia are evil-fascism-communism-empires !

Japan needs military-draft-system in Japan of Japan now!
All Japs, all Japanese-men, all Japanese-women, all Japanese-boys and all Japanese-girls except mental-parients must be drafted by Japanese-Forces now!
(I have NO intention to support Japan.)
Finally, Japan will be destroyed!
Remember Pearl Harbor!
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#61 Sep 4, 2014
cancersux wrote:
75% of all products made in the USA and sold her are sold to the working poor and lower middle class. SO YES WAGES GOING UP WILL HELP SALES GO UP WHICH MEANS MORE JOBS AND MORE MONEY FOR THE RICH AND WORKERS...
75% of all goods manufactured in the U.S. are sold in the U.S....this is true.

Where did you get the data that these goods are sold to the poor and lower middle class? Could you provide a source or a link?

No, you can't.

The cheap goods sold in the U.S. come mainly from overseas...and the poor and lower middle class are the number one consumers of these products by necessity. Simple logic.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#62 Sep 4, 2014
cancersux wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not. TURN OFF FAUX NEWS.
Higher minimum wage does too, and you could learn all about it by reading the CBO (Congressional Budget Office) report, which has absolutely nothing to do with FOX News. It estimates that between 500,000 and 1 million people would lose their jobs if the federal minimum wage is increased to $10.00.

You should try reading the report...it's not that hard to understand.
Shinichiro Takizawa

Akishima, Japan

#63 Sep 4, 2014
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
75% of all goods manufactured in the U.S. are sold in the U.S....this is true.
[1]
Japan is making 10-million cars per year.
And, Japan is exporting 5-million cars per year .
So, the U.S. has trade-deficit.

Maybe, Germany is almost same.
(I cannot find German's data yet.)
(I cannot read German-language!!!XDXP)

Japan and Germany are making 200% of all goods, which Japan and Germany consume in Japan and Germany.

[2]
And, so, the U.S. need Illegal-Aliens.
Or, who should make the money??
In short, you are selling working-forces to foreign-countries as slaves.
Many developingc-ountries do this.

So, the gap between the rich and the poor is huge in the U.S.
So, you are always worrying if and when you drop to poor-slave-calss.
So, you need Illegal-Aliens.

You hate Illegal-Aliens???
Then, you must make cars in the U.S. to prtotect the U.S.

[3]
You can find data here.
(in Japanese-language)
Japan Automobile Manufacturing Association.Inc.
http://www.jama.or.jp/stats/

[4]
Please please forgiveme Sirs.
I DO lvoe the U.S.
So, I will dare to say this.
Please forgive me Sirs for my discourtesy.

But, making cars in the U.S. can solve all problems which you have now.
And, doing wars and making weapons can NEVER solve the problems!!!!!

Please wake up Americans!!!
I DO love Americna-99%!

[5]
You accuse me as communist????
NO!
NEVER!

Communist, Mao and Lenin prohibited what I say.
I say the U.S. should be a Mercantilist!!

Communist, Mao and Lenin said Marcantilist is the Imperialism.

Anyway, Japan, Germany AND CHINA XDXP are the impelilists!!!
XDXP

[6]
Yeah.
Loosers say "Marcantilist is the Imperialism",
because they are loosers.

Wall-Street, American-top1% too say
"Marcantilist is the Imperialism".

That is why I accuse them.

They are loosers from civil society point of view!!!

[7]
Japan, China and Germany are your enemies!!!

Trade-War!
Trade-War!
Trade-War!

OK?

You donot understand why people do wars.
Or at least, Americna-top1%, Wall-Street, American-politicians pretend not to know why people do wars.
They are liers!
And, they are squeezing you!
Shinichiro Takizawa

Akishima, Japan

#64 Sep 5, 2014
I should write again.
I maybe made grammatical-errors.

Japan and Germany are making cars twice as much as Japan and Germany can consume in Japan and Germany.
Japan and Germany are making cars 200% as much as Japan and Germany can consume in Japan and Germany.

You say
the U.S. is making cars 75% as much as the U.S. consume.

Japan and Germany are about three-times richer than the U.S.

And, so, I say
Why terroists donot attack Japan and Germany???

And, so, I say
Wall-Street, American-top1%, rich-liberals and Universities are WRONG!
Terry

Milwaukee, WI

#65 Sep 5, 2014
Just another dumbocrat
brad

Bolton, CT

#66 Sep 5, 2014
cancersux wrote:
It is so simple
LOL

If burgers cost twice as much,I'm buying half as many.

Its so simple.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#69 Sep 5, 2014
brad wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
If burgers cost twice as much,I'm buying half as many.
Its so simple.
Good point. The same goes for all groceries, electricity and insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Joy 1,601,706
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr JCPete 289,174
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Joe Balls 242,612
News Election tampering by Russia still without evid... 11 hr southern at heart 28
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 22 hr Fuggleton 37,425
News Mitt Romney surges, leads Obama in polls (Oct '12) Sep 20 Oneryders Daughter 13
News Opinion: The Fatal Flaw for Republicans in Grah... Sep 20 fingers mcgurke 1
More from around the web