Obama renews call for aid to halt teacher layoffs

Aug 18, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Northern Michigan News

Tight school budgets have meant fewer teachers, larger classes and shorter school years, according to a White House report that President Barack Obama says shows the need for Congress to pass his proposals to help states reduce teacher layoffs.

Comments
1 - 20 of 295 Comments Last updated Oct 29, 2012
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#2 Aug 18, 2012
Tons of $ for decades, and the schools are worse than ever. Oblabers answer? More money of course!
Osama Obama

Newburg, PA

#3 Aug 18, 2012
Pandering to the unions

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Aug 18, 2012
F**k public union teachers. 25th in Math and Science?????? Go F yourselves.

Since: Sep 08

Neon City Oh.

#5 Aug 18, 2012
As with everything else the GOP and their muslim kin want more religious teaching and less of the communist math and science.

Location hidden

#7 Aug 18, 2012
WDRussell wrote:
As with everything else the GOP and their muslim kin want more religious teaching and less of the communist math and science.
What? This is Obamaloney at it's worst. We know you are 25th in math and science LOL

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8 Aug 18, 2012
Schools cannot afford those huge benefit packages;
hence, the layoffs,etc., or bankruptcy. What does
President Obama propose, exactly, to preclude
this from continuing without more handouts?
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#9 Aug 18, 2012
Calling for aid??

Then on the other hand -- He and Biden are scaring the hell out of Illegals on the border to vote for them -- OR ELSE!!

Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#10 Aug 18, 2012
Everytime the states float bonds to give more money to public education or they take lottery money and give it to the schools, all the public schools do is hire more top level administrators, they create more six figure jobs. The money never goes to the students, to the classroom. Obama got $500 million in campaign donations from the public employee unions and they all vote Democrat. Of course he doesn't want any teachers laid off. Public employees should never have been allowed to go into unions. That's insanity. they work for the taxpayers, and they work for the government who created and administers the labor laws. It's not like they are working for a corporation that is trying to break labor laws. They work for the freaking government that created the labor laws. they need unions for what?? For nothing. The unions were driven out of the private sector in the 1970s, out of the trades and they had no where left to go. Unions for all intents and purposes were done with. So they went to the Democrats and asked them to let them into public jobs. And they've been their ever since, so now we have public sector employees being allowed to retire at 50 or 55 with 90 percent of their salaries in pensions but they only paid in 7 percent for 25 years, hence the massive debts in the pensions, so we pay for all of it with taxes. what a pile of crap.

I remember working a temp job at the Redevelopment Agency in San Francisco back in the early 80s, and it was my job to give new employees their benefit packages and to enroll them in unions. I always thought "what in the hell are they doing putting government workers in unions?" It never made one bit of sense to put a worker in a union when they work for the government. It makes zero sense. And, I saw how lazy the workers were. Some of them did nothing so they had to bring in temps to do their jobs. Some were alcoholics, all kinds of stuff and once they get on permanent, they can't get fired ever. I've had postal carriers commit crimes against me just cause I am pretty and because they are in a union, they can't get fired. they can do anything and they can't ever get fired, and half the time they have to hire temps to do the permanent employees jobs for them. And, they do about 1/3 as much work as people in the private sector do. It's all government money so no one cares, you don't have to make a profit to keep your job.

Location hidden

#11 Aug 18, 2012
Pamela wrote:
Everytime the states float bonds to give more money to public education or they take lottery money and give it to the schools, all the public schools do is hire more top level administrators, they create more six figure jobs. The money never goes to the students, to the classroom. Obama got $500 million in campaign donations from the public employee unions and they all vote Democrat. Of course he doesn't want any teachers laid off. Public employees should never have been allowed to go into unions. That's insanity. they work for the taxpayers, and they work for the government who created and administers the labor laws. It's not like they are working for a corporation that is trying to break labor laws. They work for the freaking government that created the labor laws. they need unions for what?? For nothing. The unions were driven out of the private sector in the 1970s, out of the trades and they had no where left to go. Unions for all intents and purposes were done with. So they went to the Democrats and asked them to let them into public jobs. And they've been their ever since, so now we have public sector employees being allowed to retire at 50 or 55 with 90 percent of their salaries in pensions but they only paid in 7 percent for 25 years, hence the massive debts in the pensions, so we pay for all of it with taxes. what a pile of crap.
I remember working a temp job at the Redevelopment Agency in San Francisco back in the early 80s, and it was my job to give new employees their benefit packages and to enroll them in unions. I always thought "what in the hell are they doing putting government workers in unions?" It never made one bit of sense to put a worker in a union when they work for the government. It makes zero sense. And, I saw how lazy the workers were. Some of them did nothing so they had to bring in temps to do their jobs. Some were alcoholics, all kinds of stuff and once they get on permanent, they can't get fired ever. I've had postal carriers commit crimes against me just cause I am pretty and because they are in a union, they can't get fired. they can do anything and they can't ever get fired, and half the time they have to hire temps to do the permanent employees jobs for them. And, they do about 1/3 as much work as people in the private sector do. It's all government money so no one cares, you don't have to make a profit to keep your job.
Wow. You said it all right there.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#12 Aug 18, 2012
If the 99% want jobs so badly, they should be home skooling their kids or the neighbors. Why should our taxes pay for teachers, police, firefighters, librarians, etc. Why should we pay to edjumacate your kids???
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#13 Aug 18, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
Police and firefighters are next!!! We got 'em GOOD in Deetroit! We cut their pay and made them pay for health insurance!!! Sould be the model for the country!!!
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#14 Aug 18, 2012
Long live emergency managers! Down with elections and voting privileges.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#15 Aug 18, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
Don't be coy. We hate ALL UNIONS. Let's make the choice CLEAR in November.
Debt Collectin

Fishers, IN

#16 Aug 18, 2012
Bob Burns wrote:
Tons of $ for decades, and the schools are worse than ever. Oblabers answer? More money of course!
knee how ma Bob? ;) money!! what do u think about Bob...more Fed Rev Note...you wanne DC print more yes.........more..........more ...;-000h, don't warry is paper n ink;-0000
Debt Hold The

Fishers, IN

#17 Aug 18, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
Obamath+Scienteeth= English sBitch writer!!;-000000
Gravediggers

United States

#18 Aug 18, 2012
Teachers=big voting block

but remember Obama wants MERIT PAY for teachers and when he's back in hometown, Chicago his daughters will go back to their CHARTER SCHOOL!

Certainly, will be glad when Granny is back in her own home instead of mooching off of the American people.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#19 Aug 18, 2012
Debt Collectin wrote:
<quoted text>
knee how ma Bob? ;) money!! what do u think about Bob...more Fed Rev Note...you wanne DC print more yes.........more..........more ...;-000h, don't warry is paper n ink;-0000
'Course not. Few questions tho. 1.3 billion folks and unemployment is just under 4%. Everybody who wants a job has got one, so much so that its hard to keep staff. Schools have some problems, but folks are way way overeducated compared your whine weenies. What's the reason for these, and other, growing disparities, like our 8% GDP growth and your barely 1%?
Sheik Yerbouti

Warrington, PA

#20 Aug 18, 2012
No surprise. Conservatards hate educatio0pn because the more educated a person is the less likely they will buy into conservatard bullshit!
Gerti

Medina, OH

#21 Aug 18, 2012
Of course, he needs their votes and their use of brainwashing our kids.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#22 Aug 18, 2012
Yep, every time Obama says or does something that could create or save jobs Republicans scream in the negative.

Been that way since day one. Let's see how fast 'ol Mitt the Twitt can solve unemployment in America. Bet that'll be the last thing on his mind when he gets elected. He'll be too busy destroying Medicare and Social Security.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

2012 Presidential Election Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Yeah 1,100,607
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min LRS 177,412
Who is the worst president since WWII ? 35 min VN Vet 435
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Cornelius Scudmister 151,291
Obama's visit comes amid tight governor's race 4 hr Deo Vindice 1
McConnell campaign manager resigns amid Iowa br... 4 hr Swedenforever 12
Gadhafi, in letter, asks Obama to end air strikes (Apr '11) 4 hr Swedenforever 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

2012 Presidential Election People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••